Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dicky B posted:

arch is garbage and also the best linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my stepdads beer posted:

lol if you're not using fedora

i'm afedora

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

windows is a goddamn piece of garbage operating system but it doesn't make me edit a conf file during a software upgrade to keep the UI working. this is why nobody will ever use a linux desktop.

Make you? It's literally the appeal of arch.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

gnome 3 has working hidpi support because they took the same lazy "eh gently caress it" approach that apple did: redefine a pixel as being 2x2 pixels unless your application opts in to "real" pixels

whereas KDE by the looks of things are actually doing poo poo properly which not surprisingly takes a little longer. having said that it also assumes that every kde developer is going to test their poo poo on hidpi displays to make sure it works properly and uh lol glwt

it doesnt matter how many pixels there are its going to look like poo poo because it's kde

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

lol no, everything underpinning OSX is rotten garbage

it works; despite and not because of its poo poo underpinnings.

osx works because hardware powerupz have drastically outpaced hardware requirements for even a poweruser.

osx was a pile of poo poo when things were the other way around. now it has plenty of room to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i enjoy a good mix of GUI and Shell programs and the only way i could ever imagine developing on linux is if i switched to emacs/vim and went shell only.

• Locked thread