Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

lol if you're too dumb to check arch news before pacman -Syu. like do you not learn lessons ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

arch is garbage and also the best linux

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

oval office AND PASTE posted:

it's time for this "blame the user" mentality to die
arch is an awful distro that breaks during updates frequently enough that "check arch news before you update" has become common knowledge. if you didn't learn it the first time it happened then you're awful too

if this was the first time then welcome to arch :3:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

colbylol posted:

Yeah I bet Fagatron
im working on a new linux for fags i call it fagOS

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

the only important difference between linuxes is the package manager and arch has the best one

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i once tried to install arch linux from a network cd (or whatever they're called)
it lost connection 25% of the way in and failed to grab most of the packages
i couldn't find any way to tell it to try again, so i just hit Next because obviously it would retry automatically. nope. it ran the install missing most of the packages, failed horribly, and broke my bootloader
you were probably using some buggy unofficial community install script. they got rid of the official installer years ago because automatic installation isn't keeping it simple enough lol

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Sauer posted:

I use Arch with a plain old Openbox window manager on my cheap piece of crap Chromebook. It exist mostly to provide me the entertainment of fixing it when something breaks. Which is all the time. It also runs Vim pretty good I guess. Pacman is a nice package manager, but I wish they weren't so stingy with the repos its hooked up to. Bring AUR completely into the regular repository and add an "-FAUR" flag or something to Pacman that makes a big blinking red block of text pop up that says "If this doesn't work (And it won't) its your fault."
this already exists https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/yaourt

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

so what's the point of linux if it's awful and breaks

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

this dog poo poo is more ugly than this cat poo poo

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

the only reason to install a desktop environment on linux is to have a "ha ha i tried using linux and it sucked lol" story to post in yospos

if you have to do actual work on linux desktop then just install a window manager and pick a terminal you like and get to work

if you want to use linux as a general purpose computer no you don't stop it

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

i used to make windows look like that minues the anime with samurize

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

the desktop metaphor is p dumb when you think about it. hrm yes let me use an analog input device to perform digital operations all day. open a web browser? this task requires me to navigate a 2-dimensional plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Condiv posted:

fedora/redhate are the only ones who make a linux worth anything

lol if you use ubuntu/debian/arch/gentoo/sabayon/puppy/mandriva/opensuse/crunchbang/dsl/lfs

especially lol @ ubuntu who uses all their money to make software no-one wants to use ever
lol if you differentiate different linuxes like it's not all the same poo poo

• Locked thread