Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/07/former_ohio_gov_ted_strickland_7.html

I didn't realize that publically playing a game that is many peoples' everyday lives is the new hot thing amongst the wealthy.

Either way he bitched out two days early lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

quote:

Strickland, Ryan and Illinois Democratic Rep. Jan Schakowsky were trying to draw attention to the plight of low wage workers by participating in "Live the Wage Challenge" spearheaded by Americans United for Change, a liberal organization funded by labor unions.[...]

Ryan, a Niles-area Democrat who wants the minimum wage raised to $10.10, was trying to live off the $154 he and his wife would take home if they were both minimum wage workers.

yea he was "publically playing a game" and not trying to highlight how impossible living on that kind of money is you loving idiot

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
cant believe he did that

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I actually think it's pretty cool that he tried and he definitely succeeded in bringing more attention to this hot button issue, op

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
well quitting part way through kind of supports his position, so he didn't have much incentive to try and complete it.
Just to look at this from another angle.

UnirOnically murder, devour, the rich.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Hmmm you're right, it's going to take a congressman acting like a poor and saying "oops I ran out of money lol" to bring light to the fact that maybe walmart is getting away with murder when it comes to wages.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Tonetta posted:

Hmmm you're right, it's going to take a congressman acting like a poor and saying "oops I ran out of money lol" to bring light to the fact that maybe walmart is getting away with murder when it comes to wages.

seriously can't believe he did this

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
gently caress him and his trying to raise the minimum wage. Clearly when he "ran out" of money he should have let his new baby go without nappies medicine or food.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

learnincurve posted:

gently caress him and his trying to raise the minimum wage. Clearly when he "ran out" of money he should have let his new baby go without nappies medicine or food.

This is how real poors do it

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
they want to raise the minimum wage so they went on the challenge to prove it's hard to do

what's the problem OP?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
he almost certainly had planned to fail from the start, because not being able to survive on a minimum wage budget gives your argument more strength than doing it successfully.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Other than the fact that minimum wage is the wrong place to attack when dealing with wage disparities, anybody with half a loving brain already knows that minimum wage, combined with cost of living, is unlivable, without some rich guy pretending to do it for 5 days like he's gonna save us all from our corporate overlords.

Also the whole thing can be countered by saying the rich man is inexperienced with balancing a tight budget so it's a pretty pointless act on just about every front.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Katana Gomai posted:

yea he was "publically playing a game" and not trying to highlight how impossible living on that kind of money is you loving idiot

I can't tell if the OP was spinning this or just dumb

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

shut the gently caress up already you big baby bitch, god i hope some poors rape your rear end in a top hat in a dark alley tonight

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Wanna see congressmen try the minimum beige challenge where they try to not be so loving boring for a week

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

"as you can see i've successfully lived on minimum wage with my wife for 2 weeks therefore this supports my idea to raise minimum wage"

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Tonetta posted:

Other than the fact that minimum wage is the wrong place to attack when dealing with wage disparities, anybody with half a loving brain already knows that minimum wage, combined with cost of living, is unlivable, without some rich guy pretending to do it for 5 days like he's gonna save us all from our corporate overlords.

Also the whole thing can be countered by saying the rich man is inexperienced with balancing a tight budget so it's a pretty pointless act on just about every front.

Interesting, but on the other hand...

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Palpek posted:

"as you can see i've successfully lived on minimum wage with my wife for 2 weeks therefore this supports my idea to raise minimum wage"

Lol

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Lets continue to raise the minimum wage, to erase the gap between the lower class and the middle class, so we only have a lower class and upper class.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
at least he acknowledged welp, the poors do have a bitch of a time with things, don't they before he headed off to ruth's chris

though if his experience helps raise the minimum wage then it's worth it no matter how inept he may have been

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Simply raising the minimum wage is bad you loving idiot. Go compare nation-wide minimum wage charts with cost of living charts and realize it does zero good for the lower class, unless used in conjunction with other measures, against corporations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
measures against corporations rofl

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can't tell if the OP was spinning this or just dumb

turns out to be the latter

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do think the minimum wage should be raised, but this narrative of people having to live off of it is overplayed and such cases are rare.

Average household income for minimum wage earners is HIGHER than the national average household income. This is because most minimum wage earners are not heads of households. An overwhelming share are high school kids and college aged young adults.

The real issue is the effect of the minimum wage on other lower class and lower middle class paying jobs. And unionized jobs, where wages are often indexed by/to the minimum wage.

Unfortunately its going to be hard to get any increases. The party allegedly serving the interests of the blue-collar working class is actually serving the interests of corporate America. We have an enormous labor surplus right now, and the Democrats are focusing on pleasing their corporate masters by enlarging it further, refusing to enforce immigration laws, and even flaunting them. And pointing this out is a good way to get yourself labeled a racist and lumped in with people who think we shouldn't have any latino immigration because they're not white.

The nice low U3 rate gives them cover, even though U3 is now meaningless as a measure of employment and comparison to past job recoveries because of our long, historically unprecedented decline in labor force participation. The reality is the employment situation in America has not improved at all. It's not retirements either, older workers are participating at record levels, while working aged males are at record low participation levels. Not to mention huge swaths of those who are still labor pool participants not having full time jobs.

Anyone with a clue knows the minimum wage isn't getting a significant hike, and the income gap is going to continue to get worse. Enjoy!!!

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Tonetta posted:

You can stop supporting your corporate overlords by not buying their poo poo. You know those cars and shiny gadgets that puts the money right back into the pockets of the 1%. But no it's better to whine and complain and wait for a savior.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Copley Depot posted:

turns out to be the latter

Protests against the elimination of the middle class: A dumb thought by OP

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

hitler would have loved you

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

BlueChocolate posted:

You can stop supporting your corporate overlords by not buying their poo poo. You know those cars and shiny gadgets that puts the money right back into the pockets of the 1%. But no it's better to whine and complain and wait for a savior.

lovely post

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Katana Gomai posted:

this but unsarcastically

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Raise capital gains taxes, estate taxes and revise the tax code so anything more than say 20x the median income is taxed at a rate of 99.5%.

Or more simply, eat the rich.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Raise capital gains taxes, estate taxes and revise the tax code so anything more than say 20x the median income is taxed at a rate of 99.5%.

Or more simply, eat the rich.

Pretty good all the way until the end part where you try to turn the government into communism

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Tonetta posted:

Pretty good all the way until the end part where you try to turn the government into communism

you don't want equality?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Current events have shown that if you let someone accumulate too much money, instead of being happy they turn around and try to get even more money, even at the expense of everyone around them.

One of the things that needs to be done to fix society is to stop these people from swinging their bank balances around like a sword, playing economic Highlander.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

EvilJoven posted:

Current events have shown that if you let someone accumulate too much money, instead of being happy they turn around and try to get even more money, even at the expense of everyone around them.

One of the things that needs to be done to fix society is to stop these people from swinging their bank balances around like a sword, playing economic Highlander.

No, you don't understand. They need that money, even if they have accumulated so much that their great grand children won't be able to spend it all they need to keep hoarding cash and material goods and their taxes should never get above 36% because it would be stealing food from their family's table.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets pay everyone 100 dollars an hour

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

lets pay everyone 100 dollars an hour

lets conduct a federal survey of requirements for a minimum acceptable standard of living and then peg the MW to that plus inflation

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gay

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
uh i mean im gay hitler, cuck the rich

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
op why don't you talk moreabout your political and economic opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
sounds like a crazy week!

• Locked thread