Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Chris Christie posted:

Average household income for minimum wage earners is HIGHER than the national average household income. This is because most minimum wage earners are not heads of households. An overwhelming share are high school kids and college aged young adults.

nope

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=average+age+of+minimum+wage+worker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
another martini mr. congressman?

no thanks i'm poor this week lmao cya monday

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

why do people still repeat the "it's all teenagers" narrative when it's like demonstrably untrue

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I Love My Dead Gay Postindustrial Service Sector Economy

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
hmm yes gbs 1.4 with it's constant ironic shitposting, yes this is the place to have any discussion about a nuanced subject

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Parallax Scroll posted:

lets pay everyone 100 dollars an hour
Make it the exact same as the CEOs. Prove how hosed in the head Progressives look like when equality is not their marketing gimmick and actually acted on.

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

Scalding Coffee posted:

Make it the exact same as the CEOs. Prove how hosed in the head Progressives look like when equality is not their marketing gimmick and actually acted on.

haha loving human being liberals, always crying about people not having enough money. i know, let's ironically give everyone gigantic unsustainable salaries all the time. that'll show those dickheads by giving them exactly what they're asking for, word for word.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

this but unironically

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Falcon2001 posted:

hmm yes gbs 1.4 with it's constant ironic shitposting, yes this is the place to have any discussion about a nuanced subject

it was supposed to be a joke thread about how out of touch with reality many of the wealthy are, but apparently people have a hard time grasping the subject of wage disparity soooo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pictured: what the rich deserve

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Maybe he should have just worked harder and not mooched off the government! :colbert: After all, he has nobody to blame but himself for being poor.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tonetta posted:

it was supposed to be a joke thread about how out of touch with reality many of the wealthy are, but apparently people have a hard time grasping the subject of wage disparity soooo

I'm still trying to figure out how raising the minimum wage eliminates the middle class.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how raising the minimum wage eliminates the middle class.

if u raise it high enough, then the lower class are able to afford middle-class lifestyles and the classes merge with the current underclass becoming the new lower class

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

there's basically no middle class as it is and in 50 years we will be a snow crash style dystopia with corporate helicopter overlords

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i don't get why corporations are pro government, shouldn't all ceos rebel, and raise private armies to force congress to remove all tax laws not in the constitution so there profits climb like 50%.

Or fund like a 5% flat tax or something, it seems like it'd be faster and easier than all of them trying to launder money through ireland.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Effectronica posted:

if u raise it high enough, then the lower class are able to afford middle-class lifestyles and the classes merge with the current underclass becoming the new lower class

it's like you forgot how cost of living is affected by the minimum wage, but mostly the rest of this except the part about being able to afford middle class lifestyles

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

corporations are pro government because they know in a truly free market their hegemony would be undermined and equality would emerge

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tonetta posted:

it's like you forgot how cost of living is affected by the minimum wage, but mostly the rest of this except the part about being able to afford middle class lifestyles

So the only option is a Communist revolution?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

corporations are pro government because they know in a truly free market their hegemony would be undermined and equality would emerge

they can just remove laws so they pay no taxes and all workers are paid in corporate credits, and not USD. Then since they have total control of their local economy they just hire people to run the local gov. Like the good old days. Then they also remove all wages they need to pay workers, its like they enjoy sand papering there assholes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tonetta posted:

cost of living doesn't increase linearly with minimum wages, so if we were like the aussies, the minimum wage would just about put someone over the line into the income levels of the lower middle class, without a doubling of COL. this would also push higher-level working class wages well into the LMC

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Hold on, lemme tie up my bootstraps.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

So the only option is a Communist revolution?

communism is actually really good on paper, but terrible in practice, so no

Effectronica posted:

cost of living doesn't increase linearly with minimum wages, so if we were like the aussies, the minimum wage would just about put someone over the line into the income levels of the lower middle class, without a doubling of COL. this would also push higher-level working class wages well into the LMC

we aren't the aussies, and we're talking about a country that is breaking records in the stock market week in and week out yet is already incapable of keeping up with job creation, for whatever reason, which if previous minimum wage hikes are anything to go by, won't be changing for awhile

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I get a strong trot whiff off of people who bitch about stuff like this. Not because they're necessarily trots, but because their arguments against taking any sort of action boils down to "The world does not exhibit ideal conditions; let's not work within the imperfect system- or do anything really- until those ideal conditions naturally occur."

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Steadiman posted:

Hold on, lemme tie up my bootstraps.

hmmmm they fired billy for slacking off just a little during this economy slump i should work twice as hard

hmmm production is breaking records and i hadnt seen a raise in 5 years, and they hadn't hired anybody to replace billy, what gives?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tonetta posted:

we aren't the aussies, and we're talking about a country that is breaking records in the stock market week in and week out yet is already incapable of keeping up with job creation, for whatever reason, which if previous minimum wage hikes are anything to go by, won't be changing for awhile

Because unemployment rises after minimum wage increase?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

nope.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...cdonalds-meals/

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tonetta posted:

communism is actually really good on paper, but terrible in practice, so no

its because the stock market (bankers) are being given freshly printed money to put in the stock market creating far higher inflation that the government is stating. While also drastically increasing taxes on everyone. the governemt is just giving there friends free money, while robbing everyone else blind.

i think for me to have the same buying power i did 7 years ago i'd have to have my wages tripled.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

I dunno you tell me

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

boom boom boom posted:

the middle class only means anything if there are people who rely on income to get by but have more than enough income to live on, that is, the middle class only exists as long as there is a poverty class to contrast it against

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lol where did you find this trash graph

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

lol where did you find this trash graph

trash graphs dot com

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the middle class only means anything if there are people who rely on income to get by but have more than enough income to live on, that is, the middle class only exists as long as there is a poverty class to contrast it against

someone post that poll that shows Americans would rather make like 50k if their neighbors made 40k than make 70k if their neighbors make 75k

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Tonetta posted:

trash graphs dot com

all of your graphs are lovely and try to portray the loss of employment to the minimum wage rather than to some noteworthy economic event that happened circa 2007-2008

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

this just in americans are loving dumb, mostly due to our imperial school system modeled directly after nazi germany's own school system

makes you think

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tonetta posted:

this just in americans are loving dumb, mostly due to our imperial school system modeled directly after nazi germany's own school system

makes you think

i thought our school system was the prussian school system technically.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i spent all of high school farting in nerd faces and getting my nerd face farted against

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

this_is_hard posted:

all of your graphs are lovely and try to portray the loss of employment to the minimum wage rather than to some noteworthy economic event that happened circa 2007-2008

the other two are pretty bad but the one that tracks from 1979 isn't so bad, and doesn't just portray the worst economic downfall weve had since the great depression.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

I would like all threads that begin with a news article moved into somewhere that isn't GBS, please.

Perhaps Debate, and Discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I would like all threads that begin with a news article moved into somewhere that isn't GBS, please.

Perhaps Debate, and Discussion.

debate, and discuss, my rear end

• Locked thread