Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Whenever I read my "A Kid's Guide to the Constitution" coloring book and the author points out that the founding fathers didn't want a pure democracy because they feared people would execute a 51% attack on freedom, I become honestly curious. When and where did these pure democracies fail so miserably? Was this a known problem with democracy at the time?

"All communities divide themselves into the few and the many. The first are the rich and well born, the other the mass of the people. The voice of the people has been said to be the voice of God; and however generally this maxim has been quoted and believed, it is not true in fact. The people are turbulent and changing; they seldom judge or determine right. Give therefore to the first class a distinct, permanent share in the government. They will check the unsteadiness of the second, and as they cannot receive any advantage by a change, they therefore will ever maintain good government." - Alexander Hamilton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

California's proposition system would indicate yes.

But how did the founding fathers know about california's democracy?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My issue with the "poor people are stupid" and "politicans are well educated" idea is that the Vietnam War was overwhelmingly opposed by uneducated people, yet twice as many college graduates supported the war.

You find the same results with the Iraq War, the John Birch Society, supporters of Reagan, etc.

Success in a society seems to have a built-in dumbing-down effect.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Wealth is correlated to education.

The issue with education is that it correlates with success, and success correlates with seeing the world as meritocratic.

USA Gallup poll concerning the Vietnam War from January, 1971:

James Loewen posted:

[s]imilar results were registered again and again, in surveys by Harris, NORC, and others... Throughout our long involvement in Southeast Asia, on issues related to Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, or Laos, the grade school-educated were always the most dovish, the college-educated the most hawkish.

And it didn't stop there. Birchers, Reagan supporters, Iraq war supporters, and so on were more likely to be college educated.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 2, 2014

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

That's because there was a draft. The same correlation did not hold true for Iraq:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/7699/blacks-postgraduates-among-groups-most-likely-oppose-iraq-invasion.aspx

What's a democracy called if only elderly black women can vote? That might be our best bet.

• Locked thread