Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
"We are just like Kevin Bacon!" :hurr:

No mentions for the Soundtrack? Good god, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved the score. The soundtrack owned, but it was a given considering it was made up of 70's pop songs.

But yeah, I love the main Guardians theme. It's so 80's. This was the best 80's throwback movie I've ever seen since SLiTHER(more Gunn:swoon:). Even the references were amazing and weren't too in your face. Like the opening scene where Quill is using his machine to look back in time. That shot was straight out of the Map Room in Raiders. As well as Ronan's Hologram scenes. That was totally Vader calling the Emperor.

I think it's funny how there's 3 failed Expendables movies trying to ape the 80's and failing badly at it, and James Gunn comes in and actually makes an amazing 80's space opera with one go.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Nova Stuff - There was no powered Nova Corps/Centurions in this. Has there been anything said about it? Is there officially no Nova Core lantern corp Space Police in the MCU? People had been talking about Nova popping up in the films

The tracy morgan buddy cop movie, of last Nova/Worldmind was gonna be fun.

Worldmind gives powers to someone after destruction of xandar maybe?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

atal posted:

No mentions for the Soundtrack? Good god, people.

Well, that goes without saying.

And holy gently caress, this movie. Hilarious, soaring space opera - I wish there were more movies like this. The gags were brilliant, the characters were endearing, the effects kicked rear end, and Lee Pace's scenery-chewing was a greater threat to the galaxy than all 6 infinity stones (in the best possible way). I truly cannot wait for Avengers 3 if the Guardians are going to be in it. I just want Iron Raccoon, is that so much to ask?

And wait, so Quill really is the only human in the movie? That's decidedly confusing, I was wondering why the Nova Corps had never been mentioned the in previous films despite mostly being staffed with what I assumed were humans. I figured it was something like, humans had come into contact with galactic society but it was immensely top-secret, such that even S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't know about it.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 1, 2014

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I just couldn't believe they didn't try to tie it back to the rest of the movies. Outside of Thanos there was zero connection.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I just couldn't believe they didn't try to tie it back to the rest of the movies. Outside of Thanos there was zero connection.

Great isn't it - maybe Marvel Studios listen to criticism after all.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yeah, Gunn mentioned this prior to release. This is very much an 'introduction film', to both the Guardians and the wider cosmos, and lays the groundwork for future plotlines and crossovers rather than having ones of its own.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm perfectly fine with that, but they did show the Cosmic Cube and the Ether amoung the infinity stones. I don't know if that's the first official in-film confirmation that those two MacGuffins are actually infinity stones or not.

Speaking of which, I liked how Star Lord literally compares this film's MacGuffin to other famous MacGuffins.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh god this was so great.

It wasn't...perfect. I feel like the film is so good with comedic material, but it doesn't really do 100% earnest dialogue all that well. The scene with the whole team finally deciding to come together to do the right thing fell surprisingly flat to me.

Other than those niggling bits though?...yeah, really great. It kinda sucks that the Nova Corps weren't human rockets, but drat, I loved the design of their ships so much that I kind of forgive it. It actually makes me look forward to seeing more of those kinds of things.

Speaking of which, what's up with the blood feud between Xandar and the Kree? Did they ever actually explain that, or was it just something they stuck in to make the plot go along? Either way, is it just me or does it perfectly set up the introduction of both Captain Marvel and Nova for any sequel plans?

Junkenstein posted:

I'm perfectly fine with that, but they did show the Cosmic Cube and the Ether amoung the infinity stones. I don't know if that's the first official in-film confirmation that those two MacGuffins are actually infinity stones or not.
They did actually flat out say that in the Thor 2 credits scene.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

Speaking of which, what's up with the blood feud between Xandar and the Kree?

Considering they had recently signed some sort of peace treaty, it was probably just two worlds that don't tend to get along. Also, you have to remember that Ronan is not really representative of the Kree since he's some sort of a philosophical/religious extremist.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 1, 2014

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

boz posted:

Definitely favorite Marvel movie so far.

Favorite line was from Drax, "Nothing goes over my head, I would catch it." (I think that was it)
Mine was when they're gambling over that weird monster game. I wish I could remember the entire line, but it's something like "I am winning, as I do in all things!"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Saw it, loved it. Only regret is that they took out OBSCENE GESTURE IMMINENT

WRT connections to other Marvel films:there was a Dark Elf in the collectors room.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Strange Matter posted:

Mine was when they're gambling over that weird monster game. I wish I could remember the entire line, but it's something like "I am winning, as I do in all things!"

Let us put more of this liquid into our bodies!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the step up over the other Marvel films I was hoping for. It pretty much shared the same strengths and weaknesses as the others: pitch-perfect casting, a great sense for the characters, a good sense of humor, overstuffed to the point that the plot gets mushy and feels pointless, an anonymous villain.

I really wish they'd fleshed out Ronan more; the stuff they teased about his backstory seemed interesting, but basically every scene with him was meeting with Thanos, or talking about Thanos, or punching a guy without really talking much.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, Ronan and the Dark Elf boss from Thor 2 are pretty much interchangeable. It's a shame, 'cos they put good actors in the roles who do a good job with what they're given, but there's just nothing to them.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
One of my favorite moments of the movie (and I had many favorite moments) was when Nova Prime is watching the Kree slowly but surely break through their defenses and says "Our first priority is evacuating the city and getting civilians away from the battle" or something along those lines. Yeah, this one's like any other comic book movie where the tone of the violence can turn on a whim, but that line alone helped the movie retain more gravitas and remain more grounded than most other ones I've seen.

When I heard that line, I was actually thinking of Man of Steel, and how I couldn't get over how that film did the exact opposite regarding battles vs. civilians.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, Ronan and the Dark Elf boss from Thor 2 are pretty much interchangeable. It's a shame, 'cos they put good actors in the roles who do a good job with what they're given, but there's just nothing to them.

I disagree. Lee Pace did Ronan wonderfully. Good villain and had real presence on screen. Eccleston was a waste. Man...that was the most disappointing thing about Thor 2 easily, where Ronan was actually a badass.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CRINDY posted:

One of my favorite moments of the movie (and I had many favorite moments) was when Nova Prime is watching the Kree slowly but surely break through their defenses and says "Our first priority is evacuating the city and getting civilians away from the battle" or something along those lines. Yeah, this one's like any other comic book movie where the tone of the violence can turn on a whim, but that line alone helped the movie retain more gravitas and remain more grounded than most other ones I've seen.

When I heard that line, I was actually thinking of Man of Steel, and how I couldn't get over how that film did the exact opposite regarding battles vs. civilians.

Man of Steel approached it "realistically," in that, in these gigantic city breaking battles, people will die and there's nothing the heroes can do to save everyone. Guardians takes the Avengers route of not a single civilian dying on screen and inexplicably completely evacuating entire cities in order to keep everything "lighthearted." The difference between Guardians and Avengers is that the tone of Guardians presents itself to that approach better, as the whole movie comes off as an 80's cartoon where that type of thing is expected.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It would have been a lot better if the movie opened with Thanos destroying Gamorra's home world and killing her parents in front of her to parallel the follow up where we see Chris Pratt loose his mother. Maybe both scenes with them as kids with outstretched hands or something making the ending more meaningful. Show us what Thanos can do. And thus why Ronan boasting to come for him is so impressive. And thus why he will be a terrifying villain in Avengers 3.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I disagree. Lee Pace did Ronan wonderfully. Good villain and had real presence on screen. Eccleston was a waste. Man...that was the most disappointing thing about Thor 2 easily, where Ronan was actually a badass.

He does a fine job with what he's given, but his "badass" bona fides mostly take place off-screen. We see him hit a guy with a hammer and have a mild fight with Drax. The amount of time people spend talking about how powerful and ruthless he is doesn't really mesh well with what we see.

We're told he's a fanatic, but aren't given any sense of what that means, or really any fleshing out of who he is or his motivation beyond "he wants to blow up this planet."

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

"If you took a black light in here, I'd be like a Jackson Pollack painting."

Okay, now I get the joke. I couldn't hear it very well and I couldn't figure out why people were laughing so hard at this one. :downs:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, I missed a lot of jokes because of this because I was laughing or the audience was laughing to loud.

Can someone finish this sentence when the 5 of them are all standing up and Rocket says " Okay great I'm standing too" and starts to go off what was the rest of it. I caught jackass but everyone was laughing.

I'll spoil these things What did Drax say at the bar ? He said " Yes, I am winning, like I do at all things " then something else

So I'll go back and see it to catch everything.

Also, they completely pretty much redid Starlords origin which is great and a better origin than the comics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Howard the Duck???? Seriously?? They really made him canon in the MCU? I have not laughed that hard in a looooong time

Great movie, that looks like a fairly big risk Mavel has taken that is going to pay off in spades. Much more weird and wonderful coming our way I hope. Really did not expect to have such a great time and also saw a racoon with a machine gun with a talking tree beating the poo poo out of things. How good was that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I thought Rocket was going to be my favorite part of the movie, but GROOT was done so perfectly that he stole the show completely for me. That loving goofy smile had me in tears.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I thought Rocket was going to be my favorite part of the movie, but GROOT was done so perfectly that he stole the show completely for me. That loving goofy smile had me in tears.

Do you mean in general, or the smile he gives right after impaling the mooks and smashing them against the walls for half a minute?

Either way, you are correct.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Groot was super charming. Even though I knew it had to happen as soon as he was set up to die, so there wasn't exactly any tension around it, his rebirth into baby Groot was really wonderful. I'm assuming he'll be full-sized by the start of the next one.

Fantastic use of music in the movie. Obviously they got to cherry-pick the best songs of over a decade, which helps, but I really liked how they got across what it would be like to hear, for instance, The Jackson 5 for the first time without explicitly having dialog about it. Probably my favorite use of diegetic music since Almost Famous.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Darko posted:

Man of Steel approached it "realistically," in that, in these gigantic city breaking battles, people will die and there's nothing the heroes can do to save everyone. Guardians takes the Avengers route of not a single civilian dying on screen and inexplicably completely evacuating entire cities in order to keep everything "lighthearted." The difference between Guardians and Avengers is that the tone of Guardians presents itself to that approach better, as the whole movie comes off as an 80's cartoon where that type of thing is expected.

And then, despite the complete evacuation, they all show up during the dramatic finale to cheer on the heroes.

I loved the finale battle banter "What are you doing?" "I'm distracting you, dumb dumb!"

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Literally only this one

Oh haha her roommate was the green one in Star Trek. I need to not post when it's late.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I disagree with this film not tying in with the rest of the Marvel movies. Specifically, this movie was really the first one dedicated to "this is an Infinity Stone, this is what it does, this is how powerful they are, this is why you should care later."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So is GotG 3 going to be the same movie as The Avengers 3 seeing as they have the same bad guy?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Literally only this one

Wasn't she painted blue for Avatar? Or was that all CGI capture?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Avengers 3 could just be Avengers and GOTG: Infinity Gauntlet. More teams is more money.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tide posted:

Wasn't she painted blue for Avatar? Or was that all CGI capture?

All mocap suits and facial capture, there's no real Zoe anywhere in that movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I could see Guardians the Galaxy leading into Avengers 3, easily. I think it even possibly comes out before Avengers 3.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Comstar posted:

So is GotG 3 going to be the same movie as The Avengers 3 seeing as they have the same bad guy?

I have a feeling Guardians 2 is probably going to be the lead in to Avengers 3 end up with Quill and the Guardians going to Earth trying to warn the Avengers that Thanos is coming.

As Earth is probably going to have at least one or two Gems(probably already has one, if Loki's staff has the mind gem)

Edit: Maybe that's the post credits stinger of GotG 2

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 1, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

I could see Guardians the Galaxy leading into Avengers 3, easily. I think it even possibly comes out before Avengers 3.

There is. I see her.

Yes. *Celine Dion plays*

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Went to see it today but I had such a headache that I had to leave after an hour, I don't know how it ended. I actually wasn't really engaged to the movie at all, headache or no, I had no interest towards any of the characters and thought the dialogue and the jokes were pretty bad. The music was fun and the scifi and creature designs were amazing, like the blue lady or the bad guy, but otherwise I wasn't too dissappointed at having to leave in the middle of it. I guess I'm in the minority, but does it get better in the second half?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

GotG2 has been confirmed for 2017, and since that's only 2 years after Age of Ultron, you're dead-on. I'm betting Guardians 2 ends with Thanos heading for Earth, with the Guardians on his tail, and Avengers 3 picks up from there in 2018.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I loved the movie despite the fact that I found Ronan to be terribly generic and Nebula wayyy too cheesy. The fun was just watching the heroes interact (and it was a ton of fun). But the villains did nothing for me; no real tension, nothing real sinister, etc. I don't understand the praise of Ronan at all. He seemed like a bad guy from a cartoon my 4 year old would watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope the only shots of Earth are for effect. I want Avengers 3 in space. GotG 2 can be them going back in time to save whales.

• Locked thread