Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

She's the same assistant from The Collector's appearance in the Thor 2 credits, so perhaps that's why she seems so familiar.

Yep, though that wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a Gunn/Troma connection since, if I recall, James Gunn shot the Thor 2 credit sequence, just like how Whedon shot the credit sequence for Cap 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sean10mm posted:

His interviews promoting the movie are pretty much the exact opposite of what people would expect from a pro wrestler nicknamed "the animal."

Dave Bautista is a pretty chill dude who likes having fun. From what I can tell he's also sort of a big softie. He was perfectly cast for Drax.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Gatts posted:

I swear to God the sequel better be following John C. Reilly as Nova family man patrolling space as comic book Nova and Glenn Close also as Nova Prime kicking Anhillus's rear end and ripping out his spine.
In the 10 years of planned Marvel universe films I feel confident that there's going to be a Richard Rider Nova film at some point down the road.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Codependent Poster posted:

Dave Bautista is a pretty chill dude who likes having fun. From what I can tell he's also sort of a big softie. He was perfectly cast for Drax.
He's really a cool dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFTJ1hSV_CM

I mean I think in terms of wrestlers as actors not named Dwayne Johnson he's at least at the level of Andre the Giant

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

achillesforever6 posted:

He's really a cool dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFTJ1hSV_CM

I mean I think in terms of wrestlers as actors not named Dwayne Johnson he's at least at the level of Andre the Giant

Who would win in a fight, Drax or Fezzik

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Strange Matter posted:

Yeah but John C. Reilly was perfectly utilized, especially in the dick message scene.

That joke and it's payoff made me laugh harder than I have at a movie in years.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Strange Matter posted:

Yeah but John C. Reilly was perfectly utilized, especially in the dick message scene.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That joke and it's payoff made me laugh harder than I have at a movie in years.

This, by far. I had a giant grin through the entire movie, but the They got my dick message! line was so absurdly stupid and great and dumb and amazing.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just seen this on my google news feed:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/guardians-galaxy-fans-shocked-wrong-movie/story?id=24805650 posted:

It was the makings of a perfect opening night: popcorn, soda, great seats, the whispering of an excited crowd as the lights went down for a midnight first peek at "Guardians of the Galaxy."

The previews rolled, and then ... whaaaat?

"omg," one moviegoer tweeted. "they started playing rise of the guardians instead of guardians of the galaxy."

How in the galaxy did that happen?

"EVERYONE IN THE THEATRE IS CRYING," the tweeter added.

Then it happened again ... and again, apparently in more than one location, judging by the tweets.

Regal Cinemas, the theater chain cited in some tweets, did not immediately respond to ABC News' requests for an explanation or other comment.

...The mix-up seemed to occur at multiple Regal Cinemas.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My favorite joke of the whole movie was Drax just laughing maniacally as they entered Ronan's ship as everyone looked at him going "what the fuckkkkk?" :stare:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just got back from watching it, and have to echo previous comments. The exposition was stilted, and the more emotional scenes felt a bit forced at times, Gamora wasn't as fun as the rest, but otherwise its one of the few pieces of entertainment I found to be worth the hype. The only niggling thing is that I can't help but to feel that the Xandar-Ronan conflict was allegorical of Islamic terrorism. I know that's probably not the intent, but that's how it came across.

All in all, it was a celebration of family, irreverency, culture (the movie says as much with a reference to Footloose), and life itself. But the greatest achievement of this movie was bringing an actual Celestial onscreen, even if for the briefest of moments. I hope it does well enough that the end tag won't be a lie.

morestuff posted:

Of the female characters with lines (that I remember), three are slaves, one's painted as a useless bureaucrat, one's a disposable gently caress buddy, and one dies to give the hero motivation. Gamora's backstory is laid out in an exposition dump in a scene where the main character tries to get in her pants. Drax, characterized as being literal in all things, sums up one of our heroes as a whore. At least two times women are given a chance to express themselves, and they are exploded as a result.

Gamora was occasionally a damsel in distress, her and Nebula's characters drew on Daddy Issues, the slave is sacrificed to establish danger, but on the other hand it passes the Bechdel Test, the two most prominent female characters have an arc of their own, and they're all portrayed in a variety of roles (including the most important authority figure being a woman). Otherwise all the abuse and misogyny came about the characters being selfish (Peter), idiots (80% of the team), or monsters (the Collector, who loses basically everything because of it). But Gamora doesn't actually become a full-on love interest, and the female villain survives by virtue of having agency and the good sense to exit stage left, which I liked.

And you forgot Quill's mother having lines.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 1, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And you forgot Quill's mother.

No, he got her. "One dies to give the hero motivation."

Anyways, this movie was as close to perfect as I could've wanted from a Marvel movie. Some slight things could've been better, but I don't think I actually care at this point. It was so good from start to finish, and maybe the next time I see it I won't be seated next to some sperglord who feels the need to vocalize everything that happens on screen.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I just need to share this.

I went to a midnight showing last night. Theater was filled with a bunch of obnoxious nerds, but whatever, they stopped talking once the movie started so it wasn't that bad. Anyways, we go through the whole movie (which I absolutely loved), make it through the credits (which are honestly the shortest credits I've ever sat through), get to the end scene.

I laughed. I thought it was pretty hilarious and unexpected. I think it took a while for it to sink in to most of the crowd, but then... two rows ahead of me, this kid starts laughing. Loudly. Excessively. You know the character on Family Guy that laughs at the jokes, and then explains why the joke is funny? That was this guy. Like, he needed to let the entire theater know that he understood the reference, and he simply would not stop. Even when it just quieted down and everybody was staring at the dude, he just kept right on going. He flat out said the words, "Oh, my God, Marvel! I can't believe you did that!"

As we were leaving the theater, he was still sitting there, cackling, while his friends sat there in silence, completely embarrassed. He didn't let up.

I loving hate that guy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I just found out there is a slither Easter egg.

In the Collector scene, aspace slug from James Gunn’s Slither movie can be seen.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

When I waas in the cinema watching this movie, something strange happened. I actually caught myself thinking "Hey, I'm enjoying this movie!"

Not that it was good enough, or good for a summer blockbuster, or a comic book movie I didn't like but convinced myself I enjoyed later, or an action movie I would call "fun" because the usual standard is so low, but a movie I honest-to-God was actually enjoying. I was having fun in a cinema with 60 other people and that was amazing.

And seriously, I go to the movies a lot - and I am just talking about blockbusters/action/comic book movies here. All the same, I can't remember the last of these kinds of movies that I really, 100% liked. Seriously I hate sounding hyperbolic but... I don't know. I felt the movie magic. At that end credits stinger, I felt like I hadn't been watching a product or an ad. I felt James Gunn's excitement for the movie in it, and it was infectious and fun.

For me it was far and away the best Marvel movie.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

After watching the movie and having loved the poo poo out of it, is it worth me picking up some of the collected Guardians of the Galaxy comics? Its not even that I specifically enjoy the premise and characters that are shown, I just love that anarchic imaginative silliness of the whole thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So this is a pedantic question of the highest order...but I'm curious...does Rocket actually understand what Groot is saying, like he's Han to the tree's Chewie? Or is he just filling in whatever he wants Groot to be saying?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The movie reminded me of some strange combination of Avengers, Star Wars, and that American Dad! episode with Jeff in space.

Although, I will agree that Ronan is kind of lame. Lee Pace is fun to watch, but I have no clue what his character's motivations are for anything that he does.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Saw this last night and I am very happy. Not the most amazing movie ever, but it's the most Marvel movie that could possibly be made in the year 2014.

Almost all other comic adaptations feel faintly ashamed of their source material (or very ashamed, in the case of Superman), toning things down, making things less improbable, reducing wisecracking and being unwilling to trust the audience to roll with unusual concepts that aren't backed up with po-faced technobabble.

GoTG is not ashamed in the slightest. It is incredibly nerdy and proud. It is weird and funny and silly and full-on Marvel Cosmic craziness. Some things had to be reduced to nods and cameos simply because the film was already feeling super-busy crammed into two hours, but that's fine. As others have said, it's pure 80s pulp sci-fi (I'm reminded of Flash Gordon as a point of reference) done with cutting edge effects, and that's great and I want more.

Space has been pretty boring and straight-laced lately. Bring on the weird.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
So, with Gunn's three main films, I've noticed two constants:

Michael Rooker and tentacles.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gorn Myson posted:

After watching the movie and having loved the poo poo out of it, is it worth me picking up some of the collected Guardians of the Galaxy comics? Its not even that I specifically enjoy the premise and characters that are shown, I just love that anarchic imaginative silliness of the whole thing.

Well, I remember most of them being tied to big company-wide events and past storylines, so unless you're already familiar with Marvel comics, they might be hard to get into.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

jivjov posted:

So this is a pedantic question of the highest order...but I'm curious...does Rocket actually understand what Groot is saying, like he's Han to the tree's Chewie? Or is he just filling in whatever he wants Groot to be saying?

This and many other questions are answered in the comics. GoTG is seriously worth reading - there's a massive story arc where the Guardians basically take on an entire universe of Cthulhu-mythos horrors. Not just pseudo-lovecraft, but proper Yog-Sothoth invoking elder god cultists.

I noticed last night that Marvel have extended a promo deal on their all-you-can-eat digital comics service Marvel Unlimited to today. $1 for a month, instead of $10. If you cancel your subscription straight away, you get that full month and it won't auto-renew. Almost all the Guardians stuff up to within a couple of months of current is on there.

This deal apparently ends today. I seriously recommend it. I subscribed for a single month earlier this year and caught up on Guardians in about two weeks. And you can read all the other stuff it crosses over with too, if you want.

TL;DR: Sign up for Marvel Unlimited, get all of Marvel's comics (except for brand new still-on-shelves stuff) for a month for $1. Promo code SDCC14. Cancel straight away to disable auto-renew. Code expires today.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I cannot recommend Marvel Unlimited enough. It is pretty much every single marvel comic since inception. I am currently reading Annihilation Event.

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

It is one if best purchases I have made this year

Edit: drat, beaten by a minute

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hope it does well enough that the end tag won't be a lie.

They already greenlit the second movie.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
One of the funniest moments for me:

Groot's face when Rocket tells Drax that he doesn't care about his family being dead. My god.

Also, the movie made something like 12 million on Thursday night showings, it's going to make a ton of money.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

morestuff posted:

Drax, characterized as being literal in all things, sums up one of our heroes as a whore.

Sorry just had to pick on this; you get "literal" doesn't mean "omniscient" or "infallible", right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

jivjov posted:

Yes, Rocket completely understands what Groot is saying. Groot is actually really intelligent and communicates all ideas and thoughts with "I am Groot."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dominic White posted:

This and many other questions are answered in the comics. GoTG is seriously worth reading - there's a massive story arc where the Guardians basically take on an entire universe of Cthulhu-mythos horrors. Not just pseudo-lovecraft, but proper Yog-Sothoth invoking elder god cultists.

I noticed last night that Marvel have extended a promo deal on their all-you-can-eat digital comics service Marvel Unlimited to today. $1 for a month, instead of $10. If you cancel your subscription straight away, you get that full month and it won't auto-renew. Almost all the Guardians stuff up to within a couple of months of current is on there.

This deal apparently ends today. I seriously recommend it. I subscribed for a single month earlier this year and caught up on Guardians in about two weeks. And you can read all the other stuff it crosses over with too, if you want.

TL;DR: Sign up for Marvel Unlimited, get all of Marvel's comics (except for brand new still-on-shelves stuff) for a month for $1. Promo code SDCC14. Cancel straight away to disable auto-renew. Code expires today.

Well, thank you for this! What should I be looking for to read Groot vs. Yog-Sothoth?

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

This movie was downright amazing in IMAX 3d. Most fun I've had in the theater in a long while. Got this pretty sick poster (19x13 on like cardstock) too:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah, I hope they drop the I am Groot schtick for the 2nd movie, one movie is enough.

Also the ending Little Groot jamming out was so good and just a perfect capstone to the film

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

jivjov posted:

Well, thank you for this! What should I be looking for to read Groot vs. Yog-Sothoth?

I'd recommend starting straight off with Guardians Of The Galaxy, 2008 and just following that - each sub-series usually ends with a note on where things continue. There's a lot more characters in the comics (a few which got cameos in the movie) and a lot more plot threads. It eventually starts to get into crazy crossover territory with the War Of Kings arc, and then goes full lovecraft with The Thanos Imperative, which was kind of a big finale event for a lot of characters, and kinda the end point for the Guardians for a while.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 1, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Why can't anyone have any fun anymore?

"This guy is an unbelievably awesome and adorable alien tree that is only able to vocalize three words yet is still able to convey emotion and thoughts with those words to the audience. Ugh, I hope they drop that schtick, one movie is enough."

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

morestuff posted:

Well, she signs an ultimately pointless treaty, and can't even get the Kree guy to verbally condemn a fringe terrorist. In the battle, the Nova Corps can't stop a single ship and needs to be bailed out by the space pirates. The Corps' main plan is a light net that temporarily holds the ship in place, and it wasn't actually clear to me if that was even her order or Peter Serafinowicz's. Am I forgetting something?

I think some of this comes down to the general issues people are having with the plot and exposition for people's motives/backgrounds.

The treat isn't pointless if it stops an entire Kree army from raining down in a big war, but we never learn anything about the Kree except for that one conversation, and Ronan, who we basically have no knowledge about. Since we don't know anything about them, we don't know why he won't condemn Ronan.

The Nova Corps thing is even more egregious. Not for her particularly, but more, why does a planet that just ended a huge interstellar war only have about 1,000 planet based jet fighters for defense? Where is their armada?

They could have milked drama out of her believing the stone was a myth and not immediately believing the threat. Instead she takes the threat seriously but doesn't panic. She evacuates the city, then is rational enough to accept the only help offered, even though it's by criminals, then launches the only forces she has and puts them to the best use she can within the larger plan: give the strike force time to act.

Basically I think she's a competent leader in a film that doesn't pay much attention to giving us information about the Universe beyond what's on screen at any given time.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Why can't anyone have any fun anymore?

"This guy is an unbelievably awesome and adorable alien tree that is only able to vocalize three words yet is still able to convey emotion and thoughts with those words to the audience. Ugh, I hope they drop that schtick, one movie is enough."

It's all the more magical when you consider that it's Vin Diesel getting so much mileage out of those three words.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Guardians made $11.2 Million last night, which is kind of obscene. It's all but guaranteed to make north of $70 million this weekend, and $100 million isn't out of the question.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dominic White posted:

It's all the more magical when you consider that it's Vin Diesel getting so much mileage out of those three words.

Vin Diesel owns though, and his whole career is basically built off of conveying gravitas with minimalist baritone expressions.

I mean, he's also a very talented actor, but that voice of his is one of a kind. I can't think of anyone better suited to play Groot (or Iron Giant)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So apparently GotG had a better Thursday Night/Midnight gross than Winter Soldier. That is INSANE to me. I mean, its a Marvel film, they've been marketing the hell out of it, but how does it do better than Captain America?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Calico Heart posted:

Sorry just had to pick on this; you get "literal" doesn't mean "omniscient" or "infallible", right?

Not sure what you're getting at. He doesn't understand the basic concept of metaphors, so he assumes she's actually a whore for no reason?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Groot talks in the comics and is a fun character beside Vin Diesel does a lot with what he has.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ That was only in Annihilation: Conquest. Since then its been solely I AM GROOT.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes, Rocket completely understands what Groot is saying. Groot is actually really intelligent and communicates all ideas and thoughts with "I am Groot."

Thank you Maximus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

morestuff posted:

Not sure what you're getting at. He doesn't understand the basic concept of metaphors, so he assumes she's actually a whore for no reason?

Drax is just written very inconsistently. His non reaction to "we give a poo poo" that others have pointed out is the best example.

• Locked thread