Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Guardians of the Galaxy is basically the best space adventure movie this year. Actually the instant it finished, I texted a friend that it was the best space opera since Return of the Jedi. Having seen it once since then I feel like I'm pretty much confirmed in that opinion. I have not had this much fun at the movies in a long time, and there have been some drat good big tentpole movies this year: X-Men, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow... it's somehow just this perfect balance between fun and action, an ensemble movie with no weak characters and evokes a whole sci-fi universe without ever feeling bloated or bogged down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

bobkatt013 posted:

Right now she and superman are dating.

The best response to that ever was some random guy in a comic shop seeing the cover with Superman and Wonder Woman kissing and going "oooh, Lois Lane is gonna kick that bitch's rear end!"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Speaking as someone who's gotten increasingly disinterested in the Marvel family of movies over the years to the point where I doubt I'll bother seeing Avengers 2, Guardians owned bones. I'm glad its ties to the other movies are minimal as possible and I hope it stays that way.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

bobkatt013 posted:

Other then the fact that its main villain is the same as the one from Avengers and has direct ties to two other movies other than Avengers.

Do you think Thanos was the main villain in this movie?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes since Ronan was working for Thanos. Thanos also gave Nebula to Ronan to help him get the gems. Thanos was the main villain in this like he was in Avengers.

Thanos isn't the antagonist, Ronan is. At no point does Ronan work for Thanos: they have a deal, which Ronan breaks. Thanos is there to provide a reason for the macguffin to be in play, but he's an outsider to the central conflict which is Ronan trying to destroy Xandar. Thanos is this big, bad untouchable guy everybody's afraid of. He's bigger than the story that's currently being told and that's all you have to know about him. If you had never seen Avengers, you could still get all that information from this movie, which is what I was lauding.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
More importantly, Thanos is not opposing the heroes because he clearly does not give a poo poo about them, about Xandarr or about Ronan really. They are beneath him, as the movie makes clear.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
In the comics Ronan is more like a mix of Judge Dredd and some kind of uber general for the Kree. In the movie he appears to be acting without the auspices of the Kree's government (sadly they apparently chose to have a bland emperor rather than a giant face called THE SUPREME INTELLIGENCE).

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Point of order, James Gunn was so sold on Chris Pratt in the role he said he would have cast him even if he hadn't gotten into Movie Muscleman mode. Of course I'm guessing Pratt didn't want to be known as the fat Marvel hero so he did the training anyway.

I don't really keep track of comedians much but I've always thought that, in interviews and stuff, Pratt always comes off the most charming and off the cuff funny out of the whole Parks & Recreation cast (although it is kind of weird how they stay semi in-character when doing interviews... is that a normal sitcom thing?) I'm glad he got to headline a big action movie and while there might be other comedic actors who could have done it he was definitely an excellent choice.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

euphronius posted:

It's really not that hard to lose weight and lift weights!

Pratt is helped by having a good frame to start with as well.

Yeah I've sort of been like "really?" at all the talk of how he used to be fat. Because the dude seriously towers over everyone else in Parks & Rec, he's clearly got the frame of a big dude, so I never really saw him as all that fat.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Deadpool posted:

Well technically the writer that wrote that did retcon it out.

I thought GLA was on the wrong side of Marvel canon anyway, over in the It's Funny So It Didn't Happen Zone with Next Wave?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

If ever there was a movie for the translators to just go to town and write their own jokes

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hollismason posted:

That's interesting that they changed the dialogue. Has it not opened every where?

Humor is one of the things that translates least well so I honestly think it'd be all for the better if the Japanese translators play it fast and loose.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Gyges posted:

Interviews with Editorial at the time showed they clearly intended Cap's side to be the wrong party and Tony and Pals' Road To Hell Express to be correct. It didn't make any sense and had lots of people trying to figure out how the hell you have pro-reg do all that horrible stuff if you think they're both right and the good guys. If I remember correctly editorial was actually surprised at how many fans supported Cap.

Unless I'm completely misremembering everything. Maybe I gave Mephisto my correct memories of Marvel Editorial positions in exchange for a delicious sandwich.

I think a large part of it is the moment where Cap goes rogue is him basically flipping the bird to Maria Hill, a character who came in and replaced Nick Fury and spent several years poo poo-talking the Avengers, so a lot of fans really did not like her.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mantis42 posted:

If they build it off based of the SMG reading of the Capt America and Iron Man relationship, it will probably be better than the comic book version.

What is the SMG reading, of Captain America and Iron Man's relationship?

Arglebargle III posted:

Can someone just link me to the fascist deconstruction already? All this discussion of the movie and its genre is boring.

This movie celebrates the liberal/multicultural restrained-capitalist system that Pacific Rim violently rejects.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 25, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Officer Farva posted:

Kill Quill. Have Yondu take over.

The series without Andy would not be as good.......

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

computer parts posted:

He was left for dead in Thor (at least as much as Red Skull was) and he wasn't really that interesting in Avengers.

He shines dramatically in Thor and comedically in Thor 2 since most of the latter is him trolling his big dumb brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This was seriously the movie of 2014. I've rarely felt the level of warmth and interconnectedness from a cast that I did in this movie, and you can tell from all the features and bloopers and stuff that they just had a great time making this thing together. It's well above the pack of all the Marvel movies, TBH I don't think of it as a 'comic book' movie, it really belongs in the category of fantasy space opera with Star Wars, Dune, Fifth Element and whatever else. Like I try to restrain myself when talking about movies----I never want to be that guy who says "BEST THING EVER!!!" everytime the next $400 million franchise sequel comes out but I feel like this movie deserves that kind of enthusiasm.

• Locked thread