Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Diosamblet posted:

Just got back from this. The name Lee Pace just kind of flew over my head (I am not Drax) so it took me most of the movie to realize that underneath all the makeup and bulky costume, Ronan was the loving Piemaker.

He is also Legolas' father King Thranduil in the Hobbit movies. A conservative dick too, but much more flamboyantly dressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think there's a skeleton of someone from Beta Ray Bill's species at the beginning.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ElectricSheep posted:

Couldn't be any worse than DC a year ago.

DC: "A Wonder Woman film is too risky."
Marvel: "Here's a script with a walking tree and a talking racoon. "

Ehh, Marvel haven't done anything with a woman in the lead either. They'll look better than DC if they make, say, a Squirrel Girl movie before a WW movie gets made.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What happened to Professor Clumsy and why isn't he commenting on dick percentages?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

How the gently caress did James Gunn get to direct this film?

I mean he only really directed two films. One a cheap horror film that still bombed and the other a very small niche indie film. That's it. How do you go from working with a budget of 15 million to more than ten times that?

Gunn's not the only one. Godzilla was directed by Gareth Edwards whose previous movie was the low-budget scifi Monster. His next movie is Star Wars. Marc Webb directed (500) Days of Summer before given The Amazing Spider-Man. Captain America 2 was by the Russo brothers whose most famous cinematic effort before this was You, Me and Dupree (but they also directed episodes of Community that were good). Next year we will get Josh Trank's Fantastic Four and Colin Trevorrow's Jurassic World.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just placed what the Thanos and his rival daughters thing was reminding me of. It was driving me insane. Goddamn Shao Kahn and his daughters from Mortal Kombat. Right down to the "deformed" one being jealous of the "normal" one, the fact they are both ninja assassins, and one of them wants to betray her "father." Hell, isn't one of the daughters in Mortal Kombat taken from a family that Shao Kahn murdered?

This is really too close to be coincidence.

So here's the question: Did Mortal Kombat rip off the comics? Or was this whole plot mostly from the movie and not the comics?

Soundtrack for GOTG2 will just be the soundtrack for Mortal Kombat.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All from the PYF Fan Art thread

Alternate ending battle (spoilers, sort of)
http://i.imgur.com/Jy7G5FO.png

I have no idea what this one is about.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So are the Kree supposed to be space Native Americans or what's the deal with that? I don't read comics so I don't know the background but Ronan kept talking about getting revenge on Xandar for loving them over for a thousand years and he wears face paint so I kind of got that impression. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree

From what I can gather from the comics and cartoons, the Kree are actually a high-tech civilization that sees themselves as superior to others.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In the comics, it's the Kree's sworn enemy the Skrulls who are the religious fanatics (one of the best Marvel comics was when Earth gods tried to stop the Skrull invasion by sending a group of gods led by Hercules to kill the Skrull gods, and they succeeded).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Should have given the Thanos role to Lee Pace. Then Anna Friel can be Death.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Edge of Tomorrow is a pretty rad scifi movie from this summer.

By the way, James Gunn confirms that J'son is not Quill's father in the movies.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41888

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Luc Besson used 100% of his brain and altered the laws of physics to make it fly into his hand, more like it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Benedick Cuckold posted:

The real question is how did those ancient natives set all those elaborate traps up? I mean, an arrow that's activated when the light coming through a hole in the wall is blocked? How does that work? And what happens at night?

I guess Kingdom of The Crystal Skull answered that question.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Disney rejected Gunn's original idea for the Stan Lee cameo.

quote:

One of the losing battles regarded Stan Lee's original cameo in the film. Originally, Gunn had planned to have Lee in one of the Collector's exhibits. Groot would then look at the exhibit aghast, to which Lee would flick off the large tree creature.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's the Japanese trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwwzQvFoVzE

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

More from Japan: RR talks with a reporter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGX0ASNpqMY

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Gunn announces the movie's title in China.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Won't be happy till I get a twerkin groot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Davinci posted:

Could someone please post a quick rundown/summary of this Civil War arc you guys keep talking about?

An explosion-powered superhero lost control and exploded, killing a lot of civilians. Now the government wants to register supers, including their secret identity. Iron Man supports it while Captain America is against it. Iron Man and other heroes who support registration become government agents, Captain America and his supporters go underground. They fight a lot, some heroes got killed. In the end, Captain America surrendered to prevent more damage and deaths which leads to him getting assassinated with the whole world watching.

Spider-Man reveals his identity which lead to him selling his marriage to the devil later. The Hulk wasn't around because he was launched into space and is reenacting John Carter of Mars. Thor was supposedly dead at the time. The X-Men stayed out of the whole thing, except for Wolverine because he is everywhere.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 24, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, I did left out the part where Captain America is out of touch because he does not know about Myspace. Or that he surrendered because he looked at REAL HEROES like cops and firemen. And the part where Iron Man shoved everyone who opposes registration into a gulag in another dimension.

That Punisher thing is great, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This was the best Civil War cover. It even referenced Millar's Wanted.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GOTG have many things in common with The Fifth Element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't remember it exactly, but it was basically "All of you are crazy, I'm out." She basically decides that she hates everyone involved in this, and wants no part of it, and then fucks off out of the movie in the most hilarious way possible.

It's something refreshingly sane for a villain.

James Gunn did say she'll be given more to do in the sequel. Which is good because there's not enough Nebula/Karen Gillan in this movie but what little we see of her is pretty good ("Thanks, dad.")

• Locked thread