Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Saw this a few hours ago. It's great. It's not mind-blowingly great, but it is normal great and it's enormous fun. It's self aware, hilarious, and may be the most charming movie I've ever seen. Every joke hits; every single one of them.

It's a tight movie, with very little wasted time; and even the one obvious forced scenes are funny and heart-warming enough that you are glad they exist.

Guardians of the Galaxy brilliantly bridges the Marvel movie universe from mostly Earth-based plots into the cosmic in the best way possible. It's serious and fun. I'm not saying to expect your socks blown off and your dick sucked, but I am saying that you will like it, and everyone in the theater will be feeling the same emotion you are feeling. It's that well written, directed, acted, executed.

Final thoughts: It's not "The Godfather", but you could watch it right after "The Godfather", and you'd still consider it a top-quality movie night.

Go see it. It deserves your money.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ManOfTheYear posted:

Went to see it today but I had such a headache that I had to leave after an hour, I don't know how it ended. I actually wasn't really engaged to the movie at all, headache or no, I had no interest towards any of the characters and thought the dialogue and the jokes were pretty bad. The music was fun and the scifi and creature designs were amazing, like the blue lady or the bad guy, but otherwise I wasn't too dissappointed at having to leave in the middle of it. I guess I'm in the minority, but does it get better in the second half?

It's the same throughout. If you didn't like the first half then you won't like the second half.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Quote is not edit

My favourite visual gag was in the beginning, where Starlord uses a lizard rat as a mic.

The title sequence really set the tone for the movie. You knew exactly what you were getting once that started.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

I disagree about the last part. I think Gamora started out really weak as a character. The whole stealing the thing from Starlord and then suddenly going, "well, I was going to betray my father so let's just team up" thing wasn't developed properly. As in, we aren't given any real reason why she turns on Thanos. It just happens and the audience is like, "well OK, I guess that makes sense for the plot to continue..."

Her betrayal of Thanos is developed later when Nebula wants to betray him also. It establishes that all of Thanos' children totally hate him.

• Locked thread