Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I just need to share this.

I went to a midnight showing last night. Theater was filled with a bunch of obnoxious nerds, but whatever, they stopped talking once the movie started so it wasn't that bad. Anyways, we go through the whole movie (which I absolutely loved), make it through the credits (which are honestly the shortest credits I've ever sat through), get to the end scene.

I laughed. I thought it was pretty hilarious and unexpected. I think it took a while for it to sink in to most of the crowd, but then... two rows ahead of me, this kid starts laughing. Loudly. Excessively. You know the character on Family Guy that laughs at the jokes, and then explains why the joke is funny? That was this guy. Like, he needed to let the entire theater know that he understood the reference, and he simply would not stop. Even when it just quieted down and everybody was staring at the dude, he just kept right on going. He flat out said the words, "Oh, my God, Marvel! I can't believe you did that!"

As we were leaving the theater, he was still sitting there, cackling, while his friends sat there in silence, completely embarrassed. He didn't let up.

I loving hate that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

My favorite line is when they're collecting their belongings after the prison break, and Rocket says, "God, they just crumbled my pants up, that's so rude! (Pause.) THEY FOLDED YOURS!" No idea why, but besides the dick jokes, that stuck with me the most.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

bows1 posted:

After credits

so what's the point? Why should I care about Howard the duck? Why was that super nerd screaming oh Marvel I can't believe you did it!

Please enlighten me

There's no way they'll ever do a movie about him. It was just a joke, playing on the fact that the original Howard the Duck is considered an embarrassing, godawful attempt at a movie, and the idea that Marvel comics would let something associated with something so terrible be featured in one of their new movies is amusing.

3 A.M. Radio fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 2, 2014

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Here's a question about Yondu and his crew: at the end, the one guy says they should have just delivered Quill to his dad like they were hired to do. Was he referencing when he was originally abducted, or to a more recent time? Because it does kind of give a good reason as to why he just HAPPENED to get abducted right after his mother died, but I'd also like to know why he was never delivered. Did Yondu just happen to like the kid and want to keep him?

Also, it really makes Quill look like a huge dick that he turned on Yondu and tried to steal the orb for himself.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

I might have missed this, but was The Collector gathering the gems for himself, or is he working for Thanos?

I'm so giddy about what this all means for the eventual MCU. I personally feel like all the movies in Phase 2 have really kicked it up a notch in quality (I didn't really care for Thor 2, but I thought Cap 2 and Iron Man 3 were awesome), and it just keeps getting better and better. Hopefully Avengers 2 continues the trend.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, I thought the dancing baby groot was the stinger. Is there any upload of it online, just got back from seeing it to find that there was another one after the scrolling credits apparently.

Movie was really great. Plot was pretty standard cliche comic book fare, the characters are what I went to see. Rocket Raccoon didn't really steal the show so much as made it to begin with because honestly, who went to see the movie for Not Han Solo or Bumpy Forehead Star Trek Alien Babe? The writing was fantastic, the action frantic and gorgeous, the special effects top-notch, and the comedy hilarious. Eagerly awaiting a sequel.

The very first thing that made me want to see this movie was knowing Chris Pratt was in it in a lead role, so I guess I went to see "Not Han Solo" (even though Rocket was far more like a "Not Han Solo").

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Then please link to it since I apparently can't find it amidst the trillion "wot i tink 'bout the GOTG stinger" videos

Rocket was nothing like Han Solo. Way too crazy.

Honestly, I don't think either of them were like Han Solo, but he certainly had the Han Solo relationship with Chewbacca-like Groot.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

randombattle posted:

I really like that little scene. It was great that he looked like he was expecting it the whole time while fiddling with the orb and wasn't even mad when he opened it. He was more pleased than anything that his more or less adopted son had the balls to trick him. It was a nice little detail that it was more than just a literally troll. Quill gave him another little doll to put on his dashboard. It was a nice little character moment that normally would have just been someone yelling noooo really loud.

It's unfortunate that I feel like Yondu is almost certainly going to die in the next movie. I really liked his character, and wouldn't mind if Marvel made one of those short films that focused on him.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

randombattle posted:

Man it's comic books. Nobody dies if they are popular enough. Just look at Coulson.

This is true. But like I said before, I really hope the MCU reaches the point where they're not afraid to start killing off some of their main characters. I think with the success of GotG, they've proven that they don't need to rely on well-known characters to get people to watch. (This does not apply to Yondu, as he's cool as hell and needs to be in several movies as far as I'm concerned.)

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

I was pretty pumped to see Thanos in the movie, since it wasn't announced beforehand and I wasn't expecting it at all.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

Wrestling is fake hth.

WHAT?!

Edit: To actually add something, I can honestly say it's been years since I've loved a movie as much as I love this one. I think the last time I saw a movie and immediately thought, "I have to watch that again. Now.", I was probably a teenager. I'm sure I'll end up seeing it again while it's in theaters, and am seriously contemplating making the hour and a half drive to go see it at IMAX.

3 A.M. Radio fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 14, 2014

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

They could easily combine both storylines. Use GotG 2 to build up Thanos, have it end with them being defeated and Thanos going to Earth. Avengers 3 is mostly about the Civil War storyline, until Thanos arrives to force them all to work together again. Possibly throw in some sort of reference to Thanos, like have Doctor Strange see visions or some poo poo. I'm not sure how many movies are in between Avengers 2 and 3, but Civil War could be worked into all of them. Not the focus, but a part of each one.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

computer parts posted:

4 are planned, two of which could easily feature cosmic stuff (Guardians 2 and Dr Strange).

The other two are Ant Man and Cap 3, the latter of which would be a stretch and the former I don't know anything about.

I could see Ant Man working into the Civil War storyline. Would also make sense if Wright left because he didn't want to work around it. That's just pure speculation on my part, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Looks like the GoTG roster is gonna get the Age of Ultron treatment going forward.

Maybe this is leading into Adam Warlock joining them in preparation for Infinity War?

Kill Quill. Have Yondu take over.

• Locked thread