Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So given the ending, is the Nova Corps going to use the infinity gem to create and power the Green Lantern style Corps from the comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Irish Joe posted:

Gamora and her associates killed his family. "Whore" is a far kinder word than most people would use in that situation.

Gamora, Nebula, and the Thanos group had nothing to do with killing Drax' family. If she had been responsible Drax would have attacked her the first chance he got instead of meandering his way down to the shower. Ronan and his ship of death are the ones who killed Drax' family.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Junkenstein posted:

I think the question he was asking was why now? What makes this particular Evil Thanos Plot To Rule The Galaxy the straw that broke the camel's back for Gamora?

It seems like it's the first real opportunity. Plus this scheme involves Thanos getting an infinity stone, which would reduce the odds of a pulling a successful gently caress You Dad to less than zero.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Red Bones posted:

I looked up Sakaarans and they seem to have a mindless loyal drones + queen setup, which is probably why they were okay with pulling that Kamikaze poo poo at the end of the film. Seems like something important enough to get a one-line explaination in the film, but they feel like something that got added into the script later when Marvel got uncomfortable with the heroes killing tons of faceless Kree mooks when there are sympathetic Kree in the film, so :shrug:

It's just Planet Hulk getting built up like Thanos in the background of other movies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You can't publicly say you're exiling Hulk into space, Hulk might hear you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm looking forward to Avenger 3 where Cap and Quill commiserate over how much modern music sucks. Then Cap can give Quill a copy of his to-do list.

Also Rocket asking for Iron Man's arm for his plan, only to be completely disappointed when it's just armor.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drunk in Space posted:

A problem I had with Ronan and the Power Stone is that he doesn't really do much with it, despite the stone being built up as this incredibly potent artifact that will make him master of the universe or whatever. I think it would've been better if they'd shown him blowing up a moon or a planet or something before moving onto Xandar, as it would emphasized what a threat he was. It's kind of like if the Death Star had never destroyed Alderaan.

Blowing up things doesn't fit with Ronan's style though. At the Kyln, instead of blowing it up on the way out he just orders everyone to be killed by hand. Drax's family seem to have been killed in the impersonally personal manner that is Ronan's continuing declaration of judgement and purification. Even when he shows up to Xandar with the stone, he's insistent that he land and personally carry out the punishment in as intimate a manner as flooding the planet with energy can be.

I do agree that Drax's back story shouldn't have included Ronan laughing as his wife and child were killed. Ronan takes no joy in his actions, displaying as little emotion as possible. He's a judge and everywhere he goes is his courtroom. It's a pretty interesting combination of religious fanaticism and the impartial legalist we associate with our idealized blind justice. Really the only time he seems to get caught up in emotion is when he's ranting at Thanos while personally holding the power of an Infinity Stone, which he then passes to the giant hammer he uses as a gavel and returns to his proclamations of justice.

So an Infinity Stone and Peter Quill are the only powers in the universe able pierce Ronan's persona. Kevin Bacon would be proud.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Torrance posted:

The slow-mo part where the hammer gets shattered, you can sort of see a rather large impact hole on Ronan's armor, I guess that's the effect of Rocket's weapon?

Yes. You can see it when the smoke first clears after Star Lord shoots him as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SALT CURES HAM posted:

... 2 inches shorter than Chris Pratt and 6 inches shorter than Batista?

But it would also make Rocket, relatively, 5 inches shorter. Cut the guy some slack.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Milano is the Xandrian word for Awesome.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gerund posted:

I'd love to see a high quality older actor like Pacino hamming up as Black Bolt. No long fight scenes, plenty of regal moments, and he'd have to mime through entire speeches.

This would be great, but I don't think Pacino is capable of not yelling and I'd like for the Marvel Universe to continue to exist.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Japan almost never agrees with the West about what's good, but even they get that Rocket is pretty awesome.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

davidspackage posted:

In my memory Phantom Menace puppet Yoda was pretty bad too, as opposed to 80s puppet Yoda.

Yeah, it looked like someone created the puppet based solely off their memory of what Yoda looked like. It was the previously unknown uncanny valley of puppetry.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PostNouveau posted:

The speculation is that Captain America 3 will mostly be Civil War story, since Robert Downey Jr. has joined the cast. If they go that way, I guess Iron Man will be the main antagonist.

If it's Civil War then Cap can only be defeated by NASCAR and Myspace. If only he'd followed his list!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SALT CURES HAM posted:

To be completely fair to Civil War, its biggest problem was inconsistency because too many writers worked on it in some capacity and none of them had a drat clue where it was going. The video game, meanwhile, was written well after the comic event was done and already had the finished story available to touch up into something decent.

Yeah, the fact that what exactly the Registration Act did changed from book to book was a real problem. Of course there was also the issue that Editorial just couldn't understand why the fans would side with Captain America and his crew when Reed Richards had stated that he was mathematically right, Tony was cyborg-cloning Thor to use as a weapon, Green Goblin lead a registration crew, and the extra dimensional prison for those who fought registration literally made you go crazy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't agree with your last point. Tony was clearly meant to be the villain in that story and was portrayed as such. Cap' may have lost, but he did so in a way where he was trying to minimize damage to innocents caused by their slap fight, and in the end was eventually proven right.

Interviews with Editorial at the time showed they clearly intended Cap's side to be the wrong party and Tony and Pals' Road To Hell Express to be correct. It didn't make any sense and had lots of people trying to figure out how the hell you have pro-reg do all that horrible stuff if you think they're both right and the good guys. If I remember correctly editorial was actually surprised at how many fans supported Cap.

Unless I'm completely misremembering everything. Maybe I gave Mephisto my correct memories of Marvel Editorial positions in exchange for a delicious sandwich.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Harime Nui posted:

I think a large part of it is the moment where Cap goes rogue is him basically flipping the bird to Maria Hill, a character who came in and replaced Nick Fury and spent several years poo poo-talking the Avengers, so a lot of fans really did not like her.

Well, that and she had a strike team ready to go and ordered Captain America arrested because he suggested that the law was bad and that he'd wait until after it passed to decide what to do. Making it very, super clear that the law had yet to even be voted on in Congress.

Everything about Civil War was some insane fascist government reaction that for some reason everyone was supposed to accept because some kids were killed by a villain. Which of course everyone had to tie their tongues in knots trying to explain why this was so much worse than the last time Namor invaded or a Doombot was defeated by the combined Fantastic 4 and Avengers in the middle of Time Square. And yes, it was made all the worse because it was pretty much everything the X-Men had been fighting against since their inception. Which if I remember all the X books took time to point out while the remaining mutants told everyone to gently caress off.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fulchrum posted:

I can see why people want them to include this storyline.

The idea of Civil War is a good one, and at the beginning of the event is was mostly executed well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fulchrum posted:

We're approaching a police state wherein we surrender our freedom in the name of security? That could be troubling. Luckily, it was all the fault of a Neo-Nazi hidden inner circle, and not reasonable people dealing with a situation with no clear right or wrong answers. I mean, then we'd have to question something in our everyday lives.

SHIELD on it's own was working towards a police state, Hydra just noticed and decided to tag along. The only conflict between Hydra and SHIELD was that SHIELD wanted to stop at around 9 while Hydra wanted to go all the way to 10. It was made pretty clear that SHIELD was only the good guy in comparison to other worse guys and that it was irredeemable in the end not just because of Hydra but because of it's own actions. Captain America had been questioning SHIELD's actions ever since he was unfrozen, well before the Hydra reveal.

Baron Bifford posted:

If Stark is to suddenly become a government guy who wants to rein in superhumans ala Civil War, it would be inconsistent with his behavior in the Iron Man movies. Stark became Iron Man precisely to rebel against the system and fight bad guys on his own terms and against the wishes of the US government. He stubbornly refused to sell out; the government literally had to confiscate one of his suits to get their Iron Patriot. Fury decided he was too much of a loose cannon to be anything more than a consultant to SHIELD. Going by the movies, I'd expect Captain America to sooner side with the government than Tony Stark.

Registration wasn't so much Stark siding with the government as the government siding with Stark and Richards. With the trailers for Avengers 2 showing Hulk Buster armor and, my inference from it at least, seeming to hint that Ultron was an AI created by Stark as a fail safe he's going full Batman in Tower of Babel. He's also shown repeatedly that he's not against working with the government, only against being told what to do by the government. If he's head of registration that probably would put him in a Fury level position where he doesn't actually have to listen to the government, which could fulfill Stark's wishes.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 25, 2014

• Locked thread