Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Went to see it today but I had such a headache that I had to leave after an hour, I don't know how it ended. I actually wasn't really engaged to the movie at all, headache or no, I had no interest towards any of the characters and thought the dialogue and the jokes were pretty bad. The music was fun and the scifi and creature designs were amazing, like the blue lady or the bad guy, but otherwise I wasn't too dissappointed at having to leave in the middle of it. I guess I'm in the minority, but does it get better in the second half?

It's good all the way through, sounds like you just didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

One of the funniest moments for me:

Groot's face when Rocket tells Drax that he doesn't care about his family being dead. My god.

Also, the movie made something like 12 million on Thursday night showings, it's going to make a ton of money.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Why can't anyone have any fun anymore?

"This guy is an unbelievably awesome and adorable alien tree that is only able to vocalize three words yet is still able to convey emotion and thoughts with those words to the audience. Ugh, I hope they drop that schtick, one movie is enough."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Another pedantic question I was wondering while watching, are all of the characters actually speaking English to each other? Or is it an alien language that's represented as English in the script for obvious reasons?

It has no effect at all on my enjoyment of this movie, just a weird detail I was thinking about that maybe comic readers would have an answer to.

There's actually an answer in the movie, though you can't pause in the theater to see it. At the "roll call" scene that was in all the trailers, you can pause during Peter Quill's description, when the text is on the screen, and see that it says he has a translator chip implanted in his neck or his helmet or something like that. I can't recall exactly where it was.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 1, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

Chris Pratt is a freaking goof ball and people love him. This movie appeals to more demographics. Watch the trailer. It looks like a blast.

I've seen more people say this movie looks stupid and is something they don't want to watch based on the trailer than would ever say that about Captain America, which is a standard political thriller action movie that is great but isn't really risky/out-there.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

How did the line go when Quill is on top of Gamora after he saved her from space? I probably laughed the hardest either there or the They got my dick message!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I just want to know why more people aren't using bad rear end whistle-controlled death arrows.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Yoyboy posted:

I'm not familiar with the comics so I have no idea who Adam Warlock is. But I interpreted the film as suggesting that Yondu was Peter Quill's dad. . I could be wrong though. Saw the movie late at night with a big crowd and missed a lot. It was a great time.

There's no way that the film was suggesting Yondu was Quill's dad. It specifically says that he was hired to grab Peter from Earth and bring the kid to his father, which he decided not to do.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

bigperm posted:

I was gonna say this. There is a lot packed into this movie and whatever people feel was left out vis a vis Ronan's motivation was totally covered for me by how loving awesome he looked and how unwaveringly evil he acted.

I didn't really need to know all about his background. He worked as a super evil villain who must be stopped, for me, and that was all I really needed from him.

This is the post right here.

This whole movie was so packed anyways you can't fit in more of Ronan's back story. You got told what you needed. Kree fanatic, thousand year war with Xandar that has caused his family pain, not down with the treaty.

Edit: They gave you his exact motivation in the present, I don't understand. The only way you learn anything else about the character is to look at his past and find out what turned him into a Xandar hating fanatic.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 3, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

The only question I had was Why did Ronin's people show up because Starlord grabbed the gem in the beginning or did he just barely show up before they got it? Or were they protecting it? Like how did they know he was there?

Who cares?

It's not explained in the movie. They probably were all tracking the thing at the same time and Star Lord got there just a little bit before.

Korath goes back and reports to Ronan that "some thief" got there before him.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

gohmak posted:

Nothing goes over your head, your reflexes must be really quick. I missed the Rocket follow up line due to laughter. If he did in fact say that then I will admit I could have misinterpreted.

I like your approach, keep on it. If he did in fact say that (he did), I could have misinterpreted it (you did). Lets not mention that even without Rockets follow-up line it is so incredibly obvious that the 4 year old sitting next to me understood Rocket was making fun of Drax and being insensitive, and Groot was shocked.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

redstormpopcorn posted:

That reminds me, who's got film licensing for Skrulls? Do they have MCU potential, or did they go along with the F4 package?

Marvel has generic Skrulls I think, and the named ones like Super Skrull go with F4.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

bucketybuck posted:

You know what my favourite scene is? Its when Rocket asks for that guys fake eye for his plan, the voice acting for that scene is absolutely amazing.

We had been shown that Rocket is carrying a lot of pain, he is the only one of his kind and under his facade he is probably very lonely and depressed. In this scene the most important factor is that Rocket knows that Peter gets the joke! He isn't just pulling a prank, or cracking wise with some guy he just met, instead now he gets to share the joke with what is becoming his new family! Its far more fun to him because he knows somebody gets it, knows what its about.

You can really hear this in the voice work, it almost reminded me of a kid laughing as he plays with his father, the way he says "but I neeed it..." before collapsing in giggles. If the theme of the movie is family scenes like that really drive the point home, instead of being bitter and angry Rocket is starting to feel comfortable enough to play around like a kid, something that can't be bad even for a CGI Raccoon. Bradley Cooper deserves all the praise he gets for this movie in my opinion.

This is a good post and now I just really need to get back to the theater and see this movie again.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Of course, some people just like to disagree regardless.

ShineDog posted:

Pretty sure no one calls him varmint. Vermin, sure.

Yep.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Davros1 posted:

My one big complaint about Rocket (and it's not even with Rocket, but the scene), which people have seem to overlook, was where he was describing how he was created. and how horrible it was. I thought afterwards that maybe if they had edited in brief, second long clips of it while he was describing instead of him simply saying "I was torn apart, put back together, over and over", it would have been more powerful to me than mere words.

Yes, I would have preferred that they show some of the character's motivations. We see Dey's wife and child, but we don't get a flashback of Drax's when his story starts out as wanting revenge for their deaths? Not one little scene off him weeping over their broken and batter corpses? The character is played for laughs for most of the film, it would have been nice to see what drove him, and not just be told about it. If the film can give us the motivation for a character who's in two or three scenes The Collector's . . . assistant? I don't how you'd classify her. But the pink girl who the Collector threatens with imprisonment, who then tries to kill him by taking the Infinity Gem. The character's motivation is shown, while most of the main character's aren't? There's something wrong about that.

This post reads to me like someone told you once that movies need to show, not tell, and you took it as a fact and mechanically apply it to every word every spoken in any movie or something. The movie has a deliberately irreverent, sarcastic, and playful tone designed to make the two sad moments stand-out more in order to tell the story of how these misfits become a family. It doesn't want, or need, two scenes in the middle of a man weeping over the corpse of his wife and child and a raccoon being tortured.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Miltank posted:

that comment made zero sense without a black and white flashback to him getting his nuts amputated in a laboratory

I cannot truly understand Drax until I see him weeping over the broken, dead body of his child. Also if we could cut from that scene right to where Quill makes a joke about Kree girls, I think that would be best. It totally fits!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

I'm trying to avoid spoiling anything by reading the thread and I have very little restraint. Can someone tell me if 3d or imax is worth the extra money for this movie?

'Tis

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The argument that Yondu is Quill's father is literally the dumbest thing on CD since... well since the last really stupid misreading of a mainstream movie. Maybe something from Godzilla or Days of Future Past?

It's the dumbest thing on CD since that other thing in this very thread about Rocket having a wife and child that also died.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

He saved Quill's life. Oh wait, destroying the ship he's on is not saving him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

XboxPants posted:

What's "CD and PSP"? I get that you're talking about wrestling and even think I vaguely understand what you're saying despite that it seems like you're intentionally making things as unclear as you can, but I dunno what those terms would refer to.

Cinema Discusso and Punchsport Pagoda

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Pratt was most of the way to mad ripped anyway because of his role in Zero Dark Thirty.

No he wasn't, he put a whole poo poo ton of weight back on after Zero Dark for the Delivery Man movie with Vince Vaughn.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

I'm actually not sure about Hugh Jackman. Whenever I see him in a new xmen film I think he's on something, then I remember that it's been a couple years since I've seen him and he could have legitimately put on 15-25 lbs of muscle the natural way.

I think part of what makes him look so roided out is what he does before he has a shirtless scene. On days where he is going to be shirtless he doesn't drink any water so his skin is tighter and his veins bulge out more, and he exercises immediately before the scenes so that his muscles stand out even more.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

"Reboot" is shorthand to the moviegoing public for "we know the last movie about this superhero sucked, have confidence in us we're going to do it great this time."

It's different then just recasting Iron Man for Iron Man 4, since you don't really need to "reboot" at that point because Iron Man 3 was a commercial and critical success.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I thought the 3d was subtle and well done. Even if you thought it was blah, I don't see how you get to "really poorly done" unless your definition of that is the 3d wasn't all up in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Timby posted:

I actually have a hunch that if the MCU does indeed do Civil War, they'll flip the roles and have Cap be pro-authority (since he's ostensibly helping to rebuild SHIELD from the Hydra infiltration, and in the wake of Ultron he decides that all superhero activity needs to be closely monitored lest something get completely out of control again) and Stark be the "oh, gently caress that noise, I learned my lesson so get off my lawn" guy.

I'm not sure how you can do anything like this after Cap 2, where Cap is the polar opposite of everything you say here. Why would he be helping to rebuild SHIELD? He was wary of them even before he found out most were Hydra.

• Locked thread