Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Widestancer
Mar 29, 2014

What's the most you've ever made selling virtual goods to nerds?

I made a cool few hundred off of Azmodan runs for people back when you could exploit that as well as off of the RMAH breaking pots and selling stuff from Act 4 Inferno back when you could glitch that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Widestancer
Mar 29, 2014

Also if you see any really good examples of people paying real money for stupid virtual stuff in Games post it here; I think we should keep the forums invasion stuff to a minimum though (I know I will since I'm bad at it) and gather our energy for the next rental instead of messing anything up. Star Citizen is obvious and low hanging fruit so ehhhhh maybe something worthy of Imp Zone Curation

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Please remember the rules of buying stupid poo poo

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Widestancer posted:

What's the most you've ever made selling virtual goods to nerds?

I made a cool few hundred off of Azmodan runs for people back when you could exploit that as well as off of the RMAH breaking pots and selling stuff from Act 4 Inferno back when you could glitch that as well.

i used ahk to make a really bad bot that just searched for legendaries below a price threshold and then bought them which i later resold for more monies

also steam trading cards are cool since i can buy a bad indie bundle with 1 game i want and the cards will make the purchase cost back + a bit more sometimes

Widestancer
Mar 29, 2014

Holy poo poo someone just bought an out of box used Earthbound cart for 130 on SA Mart

I have the original box and guide for mine I should probably sell it for like 500 or some dumb poo poo like that to someone who doesn't want to pay a few bucks for a virtual console version or use an emulator

memy
Oct 15, 2011

I made like $2 from steam trading cards I got just for playing games

Of course I hate playing games so gently caress that noise

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

we r lejun

30 bucks twice, once from a dota item and another for a heartstone beta key.

i've made 40+ from selling cards.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Widestancer posted:

Holy poo poo someone just bought an out of box used Earthbound cart for 130 on SA Mart

I have the original box and guide for mine I should probably sell it for like 500 or some dumb poo poo like that to someone who doesn't want to pay a few bucks for a virtual console version or use an emulator

ripping off nerds is a time-honored tradition so go for it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Sold betrayal at house on the hill for $80 on SA mart, $30-40 over retail because its out of stock for a few months

Heath
Apr 29, 2008

Widestancer posted:

I bought a boxed copy of Bronkie the Bronchiosaurus at a flea market for 2 dollars and sold it on ebay for $65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5siN03nyJc

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

Dude, calm down. It's not a ghost, it's just music. You can't touch music.

But music can touch you.

I sold the "Wild Kantus" multiplayer skin - which carried no in-game benefits, just a character model unlock - I got for preordering Gears of War 3 for like $8 on eBay

The real joke here was that I preordered GoW3

I played it for all of 2 hours

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oy Space marines your fiance ain't so easy to kill!

tf2 items are still pathetically expensive at times, you can make jacksons pretty easily by just having a macro pretend to be a really bad/confused player and bouncing around from quickjoin server to quickjoin server

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'll get to it eventually.

Widestancer
Mar 29, 2014

How many people who post in the dota threads have spent more than 5 dollars on an in game item

does 345 even get you any in game benefit?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'll get to it eventually.

dota 2 items are purely cosmetic or else the game wouldn't be balanced

also you can get a different quality version of the same cosmetic for <$100, and it looks exactly the same in game

Soral
May 30, 2009

i have purchased team fortress 2 crate keys with real life currency, before

Soral
May 30, 2009

someone please tell me how retarded i am

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Soral posted:

Extreme Retardation. Sorry matey.

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

Hey ho, let's go
Shoot 'em in the back now
What they want, I don't know
They're all reved up and ready to go

Soral posted:

Do you remember former epic poster Sid Vicious? Well he blew his money mostly on poo poo like weed and other things he couldn't afford, but they were mostly tangible items at least!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Do you remember former epic poster Sid Vicious? Well he blew his money mostly on poo poo like weed and other things he couldn't afford, but they were mostly tangible items at least!

It's an almost equal waste of money IMO.

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

Hey ho, let's go

Wormskull posted:

It's an almost equal waste of money IMO.

So he's at least as retarded as Sid was, I can accept that

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

Hey ho, let's go

Sid did have the excuse of getting kicked in the head by a very large animal, however

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Where all retards who waste money on dumb poo poo here in the Imp Zone.

Widestancer
Mar 29, 2014

Wormskull posted:

At least we have Games to laugh at while crying on the inside

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

Hey ho, let's go

Soral posted:

Did you at least sell some steam cards to make up for it at any point?

Soral
May 30, 2009

i have made several dollars worth of profit from steam trading cards

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The best thing I sold was a Professional Kill Streak Shotgun Kit for 14 dollars or whatever. But I just bought TF2 poo poo with it because what the hell else am I going to do with steam money.

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

Hey ho, let's go

Then it's basically a wash

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Long long ago I got scammed out of a, I think like 200 something dollar hat but it's like, whatever, I spent 2 dollars on the key to open it and it was mad ugly anyway, and I don't even play medic.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Back when CSGO beta invites were still new and relatively rare they went for almost $200 each on eBay.

BKPR
Nov 11, 2007

i'm the motherfuckin trapezoid

I've made a net profit of 16 bucks on steam market transactions, so that makes it okay to buy long live the queen trading cards.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

bing it on

BKPR posted:

I've made a net profit of 16 bucks on steam market transactions, so that makes it okay to buy long live the queen trading cards.

Pedophile.

Widestancer
Mar 29, 2014

that LP actually finished and never got gassed

LP mods knew

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Hola

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/imag...=20100625232634

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

BKPR
Nov 11, 2007

i'm the motherfuckin trapezoid

we'll let the free market decide that

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Soral posted:

I bought a few for dota until I realized I probably wasn't going to get anything good. Plus you have to buy a specific key for a specific type of chest which is total bullshit imo.

I made ~$70 selling steam cards during the best. Like $22 of that was from a foil don't starve card. Man I wish those super inflated prices were still going since I have hundreds of those dumbass cards clogging up my inventory.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2014 around 17:09

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I know a guy who has eleven (11) of the $100 TF2 rings. He is a byob poster now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lost count at this point of cards and tf2 stuff sold and bought, but I have definitely not made a profit.

«2 »