Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I don't understand how someone can build 50 catnip farms and then die in the winter, unless you're going into the season with only like 100 catnip or going in with 20 cats. If you go into the first winter fully stocked there should never be a problem with food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

VietTam posted:

The best advice I can give you is to pause the game & harvest catnip yourself to survive that first winter. When the game's paused it registers harvest clicks and then adds it all into your stock when you unpause. Then you can plan more carefully for the next winter.

Or start over & coddle your kitties.

I don't think the pause trick works anymore, or maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Anyway, I finally closed my KittyCiv tab, only to open a Settlement one. There's no escape.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gimnbo posted:

I don't understand how someone can build 50 catnip farms and then die in the winter, unless you're going into the season with only like 100 catnip or going in with 20 cats. If you go into the first winter fully stocked there should never be a problem with food.

For some reason even during spring time my 50 catnip farms are only gathering 1.3 catnip per tick, losing 5.5 due to 'demand'. So I went in with about 2600 and it just didn't work out.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

sniper4625 posted:

I don't think the pause trick works anymore, or maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Anyway, I finally closed my KittyCiv tab, only to open a Settlement one. There's no escape.

I just tested it & it worked fine for me. Dunno.

I also closed Kittens Game. I made a single boat and decided that was enough since I can't even make another after idling all night.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

KittyEmpress posted:

For some reason even during spring time my 50 catnip farms are only gathering 1.3 catnip per tick, losing 5.5 due to 'demand'. So I went in with about 2600 and it just didn't work out.

Looks like you just had too many cats. I don't know exactly what the unlock requirements are but I'm pretty sure you can get the library with only one hut, at which point you can research agriculture and then make your cats into farmers.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

Gimnbo posted:

Looks like you just had too many cats. I don't know exactly what the unlock requirements are but I'm pretty sure you can get the library with only one hut, at which point you can research agriculture and then make your cats into farmers.

you can get the library with 0 huts, it's just having enough wood to make it show up.

There's an entire way to play the game (for idiots) without getting huts. It takes absolute ages since the only way you can get science and minerals is meteors.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

RabbitWizard posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke, i didn't get a popup :confused:

I get a white screen that pops up saying "Settlement

Click to the moon

function item() { [native code] } function item() { [native code] } function item() { [native code] } function item() { [native code] } function item() { [native code] } "

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The start of Kittens seems like it's timed to make sure winter wipes you out. If you play fast and know what techs are coming you can get to farmers before winter arrives, and if you play very slowly you can avoid buying huts until after winter, but natural first-time play is pretty much guaranteed to strand you in the middle with a bunch of starving kittens.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I had a bunch of kittens die and got an achievement for having ten kittens die and then I kept playing and now winter means nothing to me. It's not like you can actually lose, right?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

If I write a basic idle game for the Rift, will one of you guys be willing to play it long enough to find the limits of human endurance in the thing, for :science:?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Ever since I researched Civil Service I feel like my progress has slowed since I'm no longer reassigning kittens based on what resource I want the most, I'm leaving them on the jobs they're the best at.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

Ever since I researched Civil Service I feel like my progress has slowed since I'm no longer reassigning kittens based on what resource I want the most, I'm leaving them on the jobs they're the best at.

Yeah, don't do that. It's more important to have kittens working on stuff you need than having whatever slight bonus you get from having experienced cats on the job.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I just bought Refrigeration, which says it increases your catnip limit by 75%, but my catnip storage didn't seem to increase at all. What gives?

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
I can't believe no mention of Progress Quest yet.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

In cattegame, is there another Science building I can acquire before getting the 10K+ techs, or do I just need to start stocking up on Academies?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Geight posted:

In cattegame, is there another Science building I can acquire before getting the 10K+ techs, or do I just need to start stocking up on Academies?

It'll be a while before you get any new science buildings. Buy up those academies and libraries.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

Get your faith up and spam temples. One of the earlier religion upgrades gives 500 research cap each. Or is theology still too much for you?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Get your faith up and spam temples. One of the earlier religion upgrades gives 500 research cap each. Or is theology still too much for you?

Right now I've got Philosophy/Machinery/Steel available to me, and assuming the tech tree follows Civ loosely I'll need to be able to bank 9k to get Philosophy before Theology becomes available.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

Right now I've got Philosophy/Machinery/Steel available to me, and assuming the tech tree follows Civ loosely I'll need to be able to bank 9k to get Philosophy before Theology becomes available.

Yeah, sounds right. You're hitting the point where you should start getting as many of the basic buildings built as your storage will allow then up your storage and do it again so your economy can support the higher buildings.

Don't sweat steel and machinery too much at this point, machinery in particular isn't every useful (for now) unless you're idling for days at a time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Geight posted:

Just academies.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Depressing Drawers posted:

I can't believe no mention of Progress Quest yet.

It was mentioned, on the first page. Also the thread title says "clickers" and you don't click in it for resources so it doesn't really fit the topic.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I would just like to say gently caress you OP for getting me addicted to derivative clicker.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackguy32 posted:

I would just like to say gently caress you OP for getting me addicted to derivative clicker.

Unlike other games, Derivative Clicker has a cure:

What the gently caress do I do now?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wipe out your progress, then get there faster.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Is there even a strategy for derivative clicker?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

If I got brewery and enriched my catnip, can I really only get the discounted refinement by clicking the button in the workshop? The one under the Bonfire tab still lists the price as 100 catnip instead of 50, but the workshop one doesn't have a shortcut for refining in bulk.

e: Nevermind I confirmed the buttons on the sidebar display/use the proper costs, for sure.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

So right now my bottleneck is coal, and I can't figure out whether the deep mining upgrade I built generates more coal per mine building or per miner cat, which is it?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So right now my bottleneck is coal, and I can't figure out whether the deep mining upgrade I built generates more coal per mine building or per miner cat, which is it?

Per mine. You get coal cats with geology, which isn't for quite a while.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

CERN has one of these now. Particle Clicker!

mdxi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 6, 2014

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is there an optimal strategy in the time you've just researched navigation? It seems like I'm bottlenecked by every single thing at once, and just upgrading everything I can, without my production doing any great leaps like I want it to.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FirstPersonShitter posted:

It's .003 per mine, I think.

You're gonna want a shitload of mines.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 6, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

Is there an optimal strategy in the time you've just researched navigation? It seems like I'm bottlenecked by every single thing at once, and just upgrading everything I can, without my production doing any great leaps like I want it to.

Not really. It starts to sort itself out eventually but you're nearing the point where a first reset makes sense (once you hit mechanization and concrete huts just spam housing til you can't, wait for it to fill, and reset).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Year 604, Spring: Zebras hate you for no reason

What does this mean?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

MooCowlian posted:

What does this mean?

It means your last trade attempt with them hosed up. Good news is you only lose some catpower when that happens.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MooCowlian posted:

What does this mean?

See how it says the Zebras are hostile? Hostile civs randomly take your trade stuff and don't send anything back.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Well gently caress the zebras then. All I wanted was some shiny metal to look at while I build up another hundred thousand science cap to do any of this research.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They're still by far the best source of titanium once you get your ships up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The science gap between Architecture and Physics is ridiculous and I suspect that Observatories not providing their maximum cap (aside from the first?) is loving with the normal progression of things.

EDIT: Oh my god you have to turn them on to get that. Brilliant. I'm an idiot.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Sage Grimm posted:

The science gap between Architecture and Physics is ridiculous and I suspect that Observatories not providing their maximum cap (aside from the first?) is loving with the normal progression of things.

EDIT: Oh my god you have to turn them on to get that. Brilliant. I'm an idiot.

This entire time I had them off. The tooltip is a drat dirty liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
That seems newish? Related to a new change where there's a high-end tech that will automatically and silently handle the astronomical events for you.

• Locked thread