Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Coal is the bane of my life. I need steel for like 1000 things. And gears, that are made from steel. To build my steamworks I need steel and more steal. Then I need steel to make the printing press to make the manuscripts to research friggin theology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The manuscript income from printing presses is really minor unless you're idling for days on end. Culture and catpower are easy to get and all you need to make manuscripts.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
If you need manuscripts then put a shitload of kittens on hunting duty and crank out Workshops.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Does the steamworks even do anything without any upgrades?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Nope. Much later on it provides a bonus to another building. Otherwise they just devour your coal doing gently caress all.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Ugh. Adventure Capitalist keeps sucking me back in. I'm still on the lower end (1 trillion angels) but I can already see that I'm getting diminishing returns from the resets. It's hilariously fast to get back to where I was, but then I barely make any progress before I reset again (and that's even with making a rule to myself that I never reset unless I know I'm at least doubling or more my current angel investor stock).

I think it's time to quit the game again and come back in a month to all the sweet sweet angel investors and I'll get to see those numbers go up really high and and andshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are purchases that cost Angel Investors permanent?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, but they're worth it.

I just got to the point where I can buy all the upgrades but getting all the achievements is going to take a while.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

dis astranagant posted:

The manuscript income from printing presses is really minor unless you're idling for days on end. Culture and catpower are easy to get and all you need to make manuscripts.

On the other hand, later on you really don't want to go through a crafting chain of furs --> parchment --> manuscripts --> compendiums --> blueprints.

Yes, they do! They reduce your coal income by 80%. :v:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You lose those upgrades when you reset, but you are not refunded the angels you spent.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

RickVoid posted:

Ugh. Adventure Capitalist keeps sucking me back in. I'm still on the lower end (1 trillion angels) but I can already see that I'm getting diminishing returns from the resets. It's hilariously fast to get back to where I was, but then I barely make any progress before I reset again (and that's even with making a rule to myself that I never reset unless I know I'm at least doubling or more my current angel investor stock).

I think it's time to quit the game again and come back in a month to all the sweet sweet angel investors and I'll get to see those numbers go up really high and and andshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup!

1 trillion is the low end? gently caress, I only have 3,000 and I thought I was going good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Nope! When you reset you lose them, and those angels are gone.

I've had fairly good success for some time with a 'reset every day or two' strategy - idling for a long time so that when I reset I get back the angels I spent on upgrades and then some, and avoiding the pricier angel upgrades. The game will now no longer ask for confirmation that you want to spend angels unless you're spending more than 1% of your total angels, so my rule of thumb has been to not worry about any angel-priced upgrade that it doesn't ask me for confirmation on, and then buy the cheapest one that it does want confirmation on (which, at this point, is the most expensive one anyways... but I digress).

AdVenture Capitalist really benefits by being largely ignorable, and I highly recommend that, once you've gotten all the spending done that you're going to get done without waiting an hour or three, you should proceed to ignore it. Make it a daily check-in kind of game rather than one you feel like you have to have running all the time.

(74 Sextillion Angels and I'm still staring at that stupid Newspaper cost in disbelief, Jesus those costs are too high)

Spaced God posted:

1 trillion is the low end? gently caress, I only have 3,000 and I thought I was going good.

You almost certainly are doing good, but you'll do better. ;)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(74 Sextillion Angels and I'm still staring at that stupid Newspaper cost in disbelief, Jesus those costs are too high)

Newspapers are insane. I think a big part of the problem with them (and the cause for the crazy scaling) is the insane number of acheivements tied to it. I get the logic behind it (ad promotion and coupon synergies providing increased sales at no/low expense because you own both, in abstract), but I really think those bonuses would be better spread among the other investments.

Of course, that would shorten the game, and we can't have that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

On the other hand, later on you really don't want to go through a crafting chain of furs --> parchment --> manuscripts --> compendiums --> blueprints.

You should never craft blueprints. Get your gold income up and trade that poo poo, you need the titanium (and later the iron) anyway. You might wind up with a decent income from printing presses once you hit electricity but that's a long way from where these guys are.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah, early on you should only turn on steamworks if you have the upgrades for them and are idling for 3+ hours. If you are actively monitoring the game at all (every 30-40 minutes or so) then you should have it off.

I really like catte game for that reason, you can really balance your incomes so you can come back at a certain time and everything is capped, spend 2 minutes buying what you want, and ignore it again. OR you can set everything up to idle hardcore (once you get steamworks and high caps) and ignore it for a day or two.

Also the 3rd tier resources are bullshit, 2500 slabs for concrete fuuuuccckkk. OTOH I finally churned though the 50k slabs I had sitting around but I could have had so much more banked if I knew it was coming.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

On the bright side, once you get concrete you're one upgrade away from resetting with roughly +20% happiness, +50% all production rates and +5% storage.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Nope! When you reset you lose them, and those angels are gone.

I've had fairly good success for some time with a 'reset every day or two' strategy - idling for a long time so that when I reset I get back the angels I spent on upgrades and then some, and avoiding the pricier angel upgrades. The game will now no longer ask for confirmation that you want to spend angels unless you're spending more than 1% of your total angels, so my rule of thumb has been to not worry about any angel-priced upgrade that it doesn't ask me for confirmation on, and then buy the cheapest one that it does want confirmation on (which, at this point, is the most expensive one anyways... but I digress).

AdVenture Capitalist really benefits by being largely ignorable, and I highly recommend that, once you've gotten all the spending done that you're going to get done without waiting an hour or three, you should proceed to ignore it. Make it a daily check-in kind of game rather than one you feel like you have to have running all the time.

You almost certainly are doing good, but you'll do better. ;)

I don't understand how spending 10k angels on a 3x multiplier is a good thing. Aren't 10k angels the same as a base +200% multiplier? I bought it (after exporting my save) and drat if it isn't a big difference, but... what the hell am I missing?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ignoranus posted:

I don't understand how spending 10k angels on a 3x multiplier is a good thing. Aren't 10k angels the same as a base +200% multiplier? I bought it (after exporting my save) and drat if it isn't a big difference, but... what the hell am I missing?

I think that it's in a different column for multiplication. If you had 20k angels, you'd have a +400%, but if you buy the 3x multiplier, you'd be at 200% * 3 = 600%

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angels add together, upgrades multiply. Dropping 200% off your +1000% or whatever angel bonus to get a 3x multiplier upgrade puts you to +1700%.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that it's in a different column for multiplication. If you had 20k angels, you'd have a +400%, but if you buy the 3x multiplier, you'd be at 200% * 3 = 600%

dis astranagant posted:

Angels add together, upgrades multiply. Dropping 200% off your +1000% or whatever angel bonus to get a 3x multiplier upgrade puts you to +1700%.

Damnit. I knew it was something straightforward that I was overlooking.

Thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Actually +2600% but you get the point. I slapped an extra zero somewhere when I subtracted out the base 100%.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

These games are great. Right now I "play" Derivative and Cattes at work and investors at home.
Not gotten very far in Cattes, building up my resources to research Astronomy. The other two are just for numbers so there I don´t care about progress really.

I have a question about Prestige in Derivative since I just did my first reset to unlock T5.

Do I understand it right that the currency you have left in one tier sets a multiplier for the next reset on that tier? Does this mean it is a good idea to save up in one tier, or should I aim to do one per tier in order?

And I got 66 T1 currency and unlocked T5 so I have 56 left, and it tells me I can gain 11 T2 currency.

How does that work? Do I get that if I reset at T1 or at t2?

milward fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 7, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

dis astranagant posted:

On the bright side, once you get concrete you're one upgrade away from resetting with roughly +20% happiness, +50% all production rates and +5% storage.

Wow, those are some nice bonuses. I just researched Nuclear Fission and I'm at about 150 kitties, is it worth resetting now?

milward posted:

These games are great. Right now I "play" Derivative and Cattes at work and investors at home.
Not gotten very far in Cattes, building up my resources to research Astronomy. The other two are just for numbers so there I don´t care about progress really.

I have a question about Prestige in Derivative since I just did my first reset to unlock T5.

Do I understand it right that the currency you have left in one tier sets a multiplier for the next reset on that tier? Does this mean it is a good idea to save up in one tier, or should I aim to do one per tier in order?

And I got 66 T1 currency and unlocked T5 so I have 56 left, and it tells me I can gain 11 T2 currency.

How does that work? Do I get that if I reset at T1 or at t2?

Reset currency applies its multiplier to the effects of all buildings at that tier. It does not multiply future reset currency gains.

When you reset at tier 3, all your T2 currency gets converted into T3 currency at a 5:1 conversion ratio, then all your T1 currency gets converted into T2 currency at a 5:1 conversion ratio, then you gain T1 currency based on the proofs/mathematicians you've produced this game. Any other reset currency you already had that wasn't converted (e.g. T3 and above) stays where it is.

Where you are now, your options are to reset at tier 1 (adding your new tier 1 currency to your existing tier 1 currency) or to reset at tier 2 or higher (turning 55 of your tier 1 currency into 11 tier 2 currency, and adding your new tier 1 currency to your 1 leftover tier 1 currency).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wow, those are some nice bonuses. I just researched Nuclear Fission and I'm at about 150 kitties, is it worth resetting now?

My numbers are for around 120 kittens. The happiness bonus has strong diminishing returns, not sure about the production/storage one. The happiness bonus is called Karma and is a rare resource so you get 10 happiness just for having it and it also gives 1 per point. At 152 kittens you'll get 12 karma, which is first available at 35 kittens. The other bonus is called Paragon and gives 1% global production and .1% storage per point. It seems to be simply 1 per kitten past 69 and is not a rare resource.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 7, 2014

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Reset currency applies its multiplier to the effects of all buildings at that tier. It does not multiply future reset currency gains.

When you reset at tier 3, all your T2 currency gets converted into T3 currency at a 5:1 conversion ratio, then all your T1 currency gets converted into T2 currency at a 5:1 conversion ratio, then you gain T1 currency based on the proofs/mathematicians you've produced this game. Any other reset currency you already had that wasn't converted (e.g. T3 and above) stays where it is.

Where you are now, your options are to reset at tier 1 (adding your new tier 1 currency to your existing tier 1 currency) or to reset at tier 2 or higher (turning 55 of your tier 1 currency into 11 tier 2 currency, and adding your new tier 1 currency to your 1 leftover tier 1 currency).

Ooh I see, so it always fills "from the top up" with a 5:1 conversion and then the gains from the current run lands on T1. Next goal is to reset with 500 T1 currency then so I can get T6 after the T2 reset after that. Thanks.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Spaced God posted:

Doing well

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What do i have to research before I can get the concrete hut upgrades? I just finished archaeology.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

What do i have to research before I can get the concrete hut upgrades? I just finished archaeology.

Electricity and Mechanization.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Is this where I bitch about Scaffolds? Holy poo poo gently caress Scaffolds. :smithicide:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Depressing Drawers posted:

I can't believe no mention of Progress Quest yet.

Progress Quest seriously needs a browser-only version

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

gradenko_2000 posted:

Progress Quest seriously needs a browser-only version

Browser only(?)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How do I unlock ziggurats in the kitten game? the wiki lists construction as the only requirement, and I've had that for ages.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

How do I unlock ziggurats in the kitten game? the wiki lists construction as the only requirement, and I've had that for ages.

Have you made any Megaliths? Some stuff won't show up until you have a certain percent of the required materials for the first one.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but the amount per trade keeps increasing and ships boost your storage eventually so you're never going to be done with the stupid things. But I guess I'll see when I get back up there, paragon and karma make a huge difference. Not sure if there's any more techs for star charts yet but there's talk of space travel that will probably need them.

neongrey posted:

Related to a new change where there's a high-end tech that will automatically and silently handle the astronomical events for you.

So... you have a 1% chance per Observatory to snag rare astronomical events as they expire (doesn't seem to require any tech, just having Observatories).

In my mind this confirms that starcharts are going to be part of later research.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's assumed that star charts are going to be used for space travel, which will be
the next major version.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Yeah you need 2 megaliths before the option shows up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

For everyone thinking "I'm almost done!" with AdVenture Capitalist:

quote:

16 minutes ago

Hey Capitalists! Some hot and fresh news for you!

It’s been a busy week behind the scenes for the AdCap team – as we prepare our mysssssterous Phase 2 plans. As you may know, we’re working on a major content/UI overhaul which will introduce new mechanics and “ways to play”.

We’ve laid out our timeline, and it’s looking like we’ll be taking the next 3 – 4 weeks (!) to do this work. That basically means no weekly updates until it’s done.

We therefore decided, before we focus on energy on the Phase 2 update, we’d do one last regular update to make sure Capitalists had stuff to do in the meantime.

So tomorrow we’ll be launching 1.4.5 which will have one of the most currently requested features in it (can you guess? It has to do with upgrades)… and will raise the achievement threshold to 2000.

I’m so sorry. Brace yourselves for more Capitalism. Cheers everyone!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

It's probably a "Hide unlocked Upgrades" button.

But still, I can hear all of my free time boiling away at an even faster rate.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

That's been the requested feature, yeah.

Luckily I'm at the point where being a Capitalist doesn't take much time at all - I play for an hour or so post-reset, then let it sit for ages. I finally hit the '1000 of each item' stage, so it takes hours and hours for me to afford anything anyways; still, I thought I was coming close to the end! Dammit.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

That's been the requested feature, yeah.

Luckily I'm at the point where being a Capitalist doesn't take much time at all - I play for an hour or so post-reset, then let it sit for ages. I finally hit the '1000 of each item' stage, so it takes hours and hours for me to afford anything anyways; still, I thought I was coming close to the end! Dammit.

I'm just breaking the quadrillion barrier. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think I'm done with Cattegame. The reset bonuses make it feel worse because I can't idle for anything but bars don't fill up fast enough to actively play.

• Locked thread