Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Clicker Heroes if a hero is about to be the next gild and you degild them it skips them on the list and goes to the next on the list. This can save you some cost when regilding. Use this calculator to regild to the best 6 heroes.

http://theriebel.de/gilding/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I don't even have the Hero Souls to work with right now but clicking auto degild on that calculator just results in a hideous tanking of DPS until it runs out of lesser heroes to degild, is this normal? Or should I wait until I've got more gilds and souls stocked up before I actually start using the thing?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I don't even have the Hero Souls to work with right now but clicking auto degild on that calculator just results in a hideous tanking of DPS until it runs out of lesser heroes to degild, is this normal? Or should I wait until I've got more gilds and souls stocked up before I actually start using the thing?

If it does that it means it isn't worth it for you to regild yet. The loss in DPS from losing spent HS outweighs the gain.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LAY-ZX posted:

Art appears to be useless, is that hilarious or have I just not arted enough?

Art color codes a bunch of the buttons.

Endgame spoiler

If you never learn art, when you pick your ascension bonus, it'll be grey instead of green, even after you restart.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I cheated like crazy playing this one and it was still fun.
The guy who made this really did a good job of opening up new options and creating that thrill of discovery.

He really hosed up when it comes to pacing.

Edit:
Use this link instead: http://scholarclicker.com/

Would you mind posting how to cheat? I'm dumb at cheating at these things but my god is the pacing in this game bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's an unobfuscated javascript game so you can pretty just open your browser's javascript console (ctrl-shift-K in Firefox) and give yourself any resource you want. They're all part of the "player" object. A few examples:

player.effort=1000
player.money=900
player.calculations=100

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I cheated like crazy playing this one and it was still fun.
The guy who made this really did a good job of opening up new options and creating that thrill of discovery.

He really hosed up when it comes to pacing.

Edit:
Use this link instead: http://scholarclicker.com/

So why the hell are the math classes all obfuscated? I seriously have no idea when I should be grinding them out or going up a grade.

Just have them go blank when you've done enough to unlock the next class up is all I ask.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pidmon posted:

So why the hell are the math classes all obfuscated? I seriously have no idea when I should be grinding them out or going up a grade.

Just have them go blank when you've done enough to unlock the next class up is all I ask.

You unlock the ability to see how many points you need at some point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does anything interesting happen if you buy the test answers? I skipped it because it sounded like a bad idea.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Sindai posted:

It's an unobfuscated javascript game so you can pretty just open your browser's javascript console (ctrl-shift-K in Firefox) and give yourself any resource you want. They're all part of the "player" object. A few examples:

player.effort=1000
player.money=900
player.calculations=100

I got to the CS super project, then I just have a bunch of growing AI nodes at 4 million right now, and it seems I can't do anything else interesting. Is there something I'm missing or did I break something?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

I got to the CS super project, then I just have a bunch of growing AI nodes at 4 million right now, and it seems I can't do anything else interesting. Is there something I'm missing or did I break something?

When you get to several trillion a new button shows up.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Hmmm. I seem to have created the website SOMETHINGTERRIBLE which is "As seen on reddit!"

I think that meta-commentary is enough to justify me leaving this open in a browser.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Man, I wish that I had realized early on that you just turn on the machine, not click a bunch. Game was really goddamn slow until I accidentally left the lever on and realized it was just spitting it out.

Edit: in the money machine gamemaker game thing. Just realized a whole new page popped up.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I can't believe that Scholar Clicker does not have "Buy x100" or "Buy Max" buttons. To get to grad school without cheating would mean hundreds of thousands of physical clicks. That's really stupid and while the core game is interesting, it's pretty dumb to have zero shortcuts.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

DrPlump posted:

If it does that it means it isn't worth it for you to regild yet. The loss in DPS from losing spent HS outweighs the gain.

Also for some stupid reason the calculator works from the top down instead of the bottom up when regilding. The worst ones are last to be regilded.

EDIT: It's also buggy when you reattempt to manually regild things in the calculator. Somebody needs to work on it more.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 31, 2014

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Senso posted:

I can't believe that Scholar Clicker does not have "Buy x100" or "Buy Max" buttons. To get to grad school without cheating would mean hundreds of thousands of physical clicks. That's really stupid and while the core game is interesting, it's pretty dumb to have zero shortcuts.

? I'm about to get to grad school after 2-3 days of mostly idling. I've used the muster effort button maybe a handful of times in the very early game. The amount of effort it puts out is miniscule and would at most equal your passive gain unless you have like 1000/s autoclicker on.

As far as clicking on buying math and stuff, just turn on mousekeys and mash 5 and + on the numpad and you'll be spent in about 3s. It's the secret to every clicker game.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
You can also hold enter in scholar clicker to click as fast as your keyboard refresh rate on whatever you last clicked. That works for the muster key, too.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Shovelmint posted:

You can also hold enter in scholar clicker to click as fast as your keyboard refresh rate on whatever you last clicked. That works for the muster key, too.

I'm OSX, that doesn't do anything. I won't want to install some third-party autoclicker so I'll just let it idle then.

Bahumaut
Apr 6, 2009

Shovelmint posted:

Oh how did I never know this before. Thank you so much for making me feel like I can get somewhere in this game now.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Shovelmint posted:

That got fixed in the update, it was a bug. On another note the game now runs at double the previous speed... Which still isn't very fast.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Shovelmint posted:

Not working for me on Chrome :smith:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I dunno why people are saying Scholar Clicker is badly paced or whatever, it's actually remarkably fast-paced for an idle game.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

TyreForHyre posted:

That got fixed in the update, it was a bug. On another note the game now runs at double the previous speed... Which still isn't very fast.

It's always good when people are willing to do fixes like this. The effort/cost growth rate is really skewed and of all the currencies it's the hardest and least efficient to upgrade. I understand it's supposed to be the most important currency, but the muster method of accruing it sucks.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Yeah I dunno why people are saying Scholar Clicker is badly paced or whatever, it's actually remarkably fast-paced for an idle game.

In the latest patch the game speed got doubled too

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Can someone spoil Scholar Clicker for me? I just entered Grad School and I'm fed up with clicking. 7.5M to 20M math skill? gently caress that. I cheated to refill effort/calcs just to get the last bit to hit grad school. My CS skill is at 200k and I unlocked Haskell but there doesn't seem to be anything left to do in CS until presumably my math/grade goes up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, I gave up on SC a bit after that. Can't stand resource caps and no offline progress.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've been playing Critter Mound for a bit now and I just got to the part where you unlock the Heir Hatchery. Can anyone tell me what the point of that is, aside from siphoning away some sod?

Also, is there any sort of wiki or similar for the game? The best I seem to find are reddit threads mentioning bits and pieces of info.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been playing Critter Mound for a bit now and I just got to the part where you unlock the Heir Hatchery. Can anyone tell me what the point of that is, aside from siphoning away some sod?

Also, is there any sort of wiki or similar for the game? The best I seem to find are reddit threads mentioning bits and pieces of info.

Not really. There's a subreddit somewhere for it, linked in the info page.

The heir hatchery is ostensibly to try to breed in mutations or focus on one trait but in practice it's just never going to be useful as sod upgrades are for soldiers etc. Basically breed for mutations then just for green numbers.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

neogeo0823 posted:

I hadn't heard about this game before. Just getting started with it; is there a reason why some of my new critters have "0 mutations" under some of their stats? Is 0 mutations different than not having anything listed?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nolanar posted:

I hadn't heard about this game before. Just getting started with it; is there a reason why some of my new critters have "0 mutations" under some of their stats? Is 0 mutations different than not having anything listed?

Mutations are a percentage bonus to a stat that can either show up randomly or be gotten from taking certain map locations. You then have some Mendelian inheritance to futz around with to get them to become fully expressed, at which point they become just another number to watch out for when picking your king and queen. Always fully express mutations, random ones are extremely rare and the bonus ends up quite large.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

dis astranagant posted:

Mutations are a percentage bonus to a stat that can either show up randomly or be gotten from taking certain map locations. You then have some Mendelian inheritance to futz around with to get them to become fully expressed, at which point they become just another number to watch out for when picking your king and queen. Always fully express mutations, random ones are extremely rare and the bonus ends up quite large.

To give a bit more detail on this, when you see a new mutation pop up, hover over that stat and the little pop-up box will display info and show the mutation as either recessive or expressive. At first, you'll have 1 critter with the recessive gene, so you need to be patient and wait for the mutation to show in the other gender critter. Take the first one that comes up, even if it's not superior to what you currently have. After that, you have a 50/50 shot of having the mutation list as either recessive or expressive in the offspring. Take the ones that show expressive for both genders and from then on you'll always get that mutation.

Also keep in mind that the first time you fight a war against another critter, you'll have a square on the map that has a free mutation when you take it over. Don't let those slip by, since that's apparently the only time you can get it. If you go back later, it'll be gone.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Nolanar posted:

You can't get mutations in a stat until you get to 25 in that stat. I'm not sure if there are thresholds past that too but basically your base stats have to go up.

Also whenever a stat or individual mutation maxes (100% for mutations) on both king and queen it can't go down anymore

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, I feel stupid but how do I choose which worker I want to sacrifice? I've just gotten my second slot and want to upgrade but I can't seem to figure out get rid of the bottom worker while keeping the top.

Also after I bought the second slot I've had a couple cases where I send an and to be a worker and it just vanishes. What is with that?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Slifter posted:

Ok, I feel stupid but how do I choose which worker I want to sacrifice? I've just gotten my second slot and want to upgrade but I can't seem to figure out get rid of the bottom worker while keeping the top.

Also after I bought the second slot I've had a couple cases where I send an and to be a worker and it just vanishes. What is with that?

Click the row you want to work with, and a check mark will come up in the gender column. Select the action you want to take and it'll apply to just that row/critter. Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to sacrifice anything in this game. maybe the soldiers after you've upgraded a ton from your last war and want to start a new one, but otherwise, why bother? Any offspring you select to be workers will be sent to whichever of the 4 categories of work they're most helpful in... Unless they're worse than what's currently in there, in which case they "simply go somewhere else", and vanish.

So basically, what I've been doing is: upgrade king/queen > select worker for everything else > select soldier when I've upgraded enough to crush my next enemy

Also, keep an eye on your sod production. As you upgrade, obviously it'll go up, but there will be bottlenecks. Your production is only as fast as your slowest category, which I find is often my farmer/miners. Work to upgrade the sting/bite stats and you'll get better resource gathering. Or you could just add extra slots to those.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I really wanted to play a game today since it is a lazy sunday and this thread pointed me to Clicker Heroes. I have played this for like 3 hours now. I love the graphics but seems like I got a long ways to go ... (only level 39 only doing 109 million dps)

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Click the row you want to work with, and a check mark will come up in the gender column. Select the action you want to take and it'll apply to just that row/critter. Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to sacrifice anything in this game. maybe the soldiers after you've upgraded a ton from your last war and want to start a new one, but otherwise, why bother? Any offspring you select to be workers will be sent to whichever of the 4 categories of work they're most helpful in... Unless they're worse than what's currently in there, in which case they "simply go somewhere else", and vanish.

So basically, what I've been doing is: upgrade king/queen > select worker for everything else > select soldier when I've upgraded enough to crush my next enemy

Also, keep an eye on your sod production. As you upgrade, obviously it'll go up, but there will be bottlenecks. Your production is only as fast as your slowest category, which I find is often my farmer/miners. Work to upgrade the sting/bite stats and you'll get better resource gathering. Or you could just add extra slots to those.

Oh wow, that make the game a lot less fiddly, thanks for that. Another thing, does the level of the ant in the army have any effect when fighting or is it just for the out of combat bonuses?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Cleared my history without thinking, RIP the weeks of Clicker Heroes nonsense I'd progressed through :negative:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm not 100% sure on that. Though, I have noticed that high level critters do pretty well against foes from the next war up in difficulty. I've always made a habit of replacing my army critters with ones at a high enough score to soundly beat the enemy critters though, so I've never had the chance to test how far those level bonuses would carry them. I'll try it out after I finish my current war.

EDIT: Each army critter does get an extra 1% chance to crit hit on their attack per level, so a level 10 critter has a 10% chance to crit. So there is that right off the bat.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 3, 2014

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Stats give you more hp and the offensive stats give you defense too so they scale doubly well. Crit is nice but levels mostly just speed up hunting when you outclass the war you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, so I've played Critter Mound for a bit off and on and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand the mechanically it pretty cool wit the mutations and the resource production chain. Right now I'm just annoyed that it's not really an idle game, I feel like if I want to have any progress I need to be constantly cycling the king and queen, that and it seems like other than introducing new mutations you pretty much always just upgrade to the bigger numbers, so far I can't think of a situation to not do so.

Basically unless someone tells me there is a bunch of new content that I haven't seen yet or that I'm an idiot and there is a way to automate leveling the king and queen I think I'm already done with it.

• Locked thread