Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cattegame is neat but drat does it ever turn into a clusterfuck by the time you hit navigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And everything is bounded by everything else. But mostly scaffolds (gently caress scaffolds).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Steel. loving steel. Makes wood costs look like pocket change. Used in everything after architecture. This includes steel products like alloy, gears and oil. My storages are loving huge but my rates have stagnated for days.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 31, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's a Cattegame update that adds something to the endgame and also an AdVenture Capitalism update that you're much too poor and Irish to get any benefit of.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's neat but it ends really fast once you figure out what you're doing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Noxin of Shame posted:

How do Angels work? Is it the higher your bank roll when you reset, the more angels you get?

It's just like heavenly cookies. They're based on your all time cash count.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bloodly posted:

From what I'm seeing the hump doesn't end. Gears and Steel are required, also masses of beams and manuscripts and scaffolds and ugh. Some of the possible things I don't even have the storage to create, and getting the storage up is MORE 'ugh'.

Steamworks and mints are kind of a red herring. They're handy for when you're going to bed but are massively inefficient until super late game techs. Same goes for calciners once you get them, the titanium rate simply doesn't compare with getting a bunch of cargo ships and constantly trading with the zebras. I'm not sure how that guy above got as far as he did with his happiness under 100, I had hit 150 long before that.

I've just about hit the point where it finally makes sense to reset. Just gotta round up 20 more concrete so the price of huts can bottom out.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 2, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Sounds like the former guy didn't put in enough Amphitheatres. I know if I've got furs and ivory going I'm right at 100% with 40 kittens and 12 of those buildings (and 1 temple if that makes a difference). I've been concentrating on getting the trading posts up to 25, while building up the steel and manuscripts, which hopefully means those resources will stay. 25+ maybe even turn it around!

All discounts have diminishing returns after 75%. It's still good to have lots of trading posts because one of the later upgrades causes them to have some slight influence on how often the zebras hate you for no reason.

Try and build a ziggurat as early as you can get away with. They give you another rare resource that doesn't decay.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shintaro posted:

Mints are there for idling. If you work out the math on mints, they're kind of terrible for furs and ivory. But... you don't have to hit them every five minutes or whatever. Maybe I'm not as far as you, but for me the gold's not that big a deal. (Then again, I've been favoring a heavily idle-based strategy and got almost the bare minimum of titanium from those terrible Zebras and have been relying on Caliners and lots of free time. And I only got my second Mind recently.)

Gold gets super important later because everything starts costing vast amounts of titanium, vast amounts of alloy (which costs titanium) and vast amounts of iron (which bottoms out and ends up having to be traded for to keep up with your coal). I'd have never gotten concrete huts with just calciners and it took several hours to get trading with 200 ships. But now I don't have to worry about it because I reset with the 120 kittens I got out of concrete huts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fellis posted:

Oh my god I knew I needed ships to start trading with zebras but I thought I had to research cargo ships for that, I didn't see that Trading Ships showed up in the workshop tab because I never craft from workshop tab. I feel like a huge idiot

You also need tons of ships to trade with them effectively. The chance of getting titanium is based on your number of ships and it also boosts how many you get trade.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Look at this kid, he thinks 250 star charts means something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, really. You need like 250 ships to get half decent returns on trading. It's better than waiting on calciners well before that but when you start needing thousands to do anything you really want to be bringing some back every trip.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Kinda puts Civ5(Or any Civ) in perspective in how long and how much everything takes. Then again we've also managed this in a 'mere' 100/200/300 years.

Do the civs unlock in a set order or have fixed selling? My first three were Lizards(Minerals for Wood), Sharks(Iron for Catnip), Griffins(Wood for Iron), the fourth was Naga(Ivory for Minerals-Thank you whoever mentioned the culture requirement, I'd have never guessed that).

Sharks/Lizards/Griffons unlock in random order but you only need to hit year 20. The rest all unlock when you hit the requirements, which are pretty hard to hit out of order.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but the amount per trade keeps increasing and ships boost your storage eventually so you're never going to be done with the stupid things. But I guess I'll see when I get back up there, paragon and karma make a huge difference. Not sure if there's any more techs for star charts yet but there's talk of space travel that will probably need them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

Is there any point to having more than one ziggurat? Do they affect the rate of unicorn generation at all?

edit: nvm, I'm bad at reading.

In addition to their religious significance they make ok storage buildings.

e: I really, really hate how all your cats quit their jobs the moment one dies. I thought I had enough catnip income and wandered off for a few hours, came back to the you monster achievement the endless cycle of cats showing up and starving since what farmers I had all quit.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

One of the things I like about Cattegame is that prestige has limits so people stick around because of new content and not just repeating the same poo poo over and over.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I dunno what I'm doing in the cat game I researched brewing and construction and neither of them actually gave me any new poo poo to do

Brewing meant it when it said it was optional. It just unlocks an upgrade that doubles the output for turning nip into wood. Construction lets you buy improvements for some of your buildings.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 5, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

Ever since I researched Civil Service I feel like my progress has slowed since I'm no longer reassigning kittens based on what resource I want the most, I'm leaving them on the jobs they're the best at.

Yeah, don't do that. It's more important to have kittens working on stuff you need than having whatever slight bonus you get from having experienced cats on the job.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

In cattegame, is there another Science building I can acquire before getting the 10K+ techs, or do I just need to start stocking up on Academies?

Get your faith up and spam temples. One of the earlier religion upgrades gives 500 research cap each. Or is theology still too much for you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

Right now I've got Philosophy/Machinery/Steel available to me, and assuming the tech tree follows Civ loosely I'll need to be able to bank 9k to get Philosophy before Theology becomes available.

Yeah, sounds right. You're hitting the point where you should start getting as many of the basic buildings built as your storage will allow then up your storage and do it again so your economy can support the higher buildings.

Don't sweat steel and machinery too much at this point, machinery in particular isn't every useful (for now) unless you're idling for days at a time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

Is there an optimal strategy in the time you've just researched navigation? It seems like I'm bottlenecked by every single thing at once, and just upgrading everything I can, without my production doing any great leaps like I want it to.

Not really. It starts to sort itself out eventually but you're nearing the point where a first reset makes sense (once you hit mechanization and concrete huts just spam housing til you can't, wait for it to fill, and reset).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MooCowlian posted:

Year 604, Spring: Zebras hate you for no reason

What does this mean?

See how it says the Zebras are hostile? Hostile civs randomly take your trade stuff and don't send anything back.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They're still by far the best source of titanium once you get your ships up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The manuscript income from printing presses is really minor unless you're idling for days on end. Culture and catpower are easy to get and all you need to make manuscripts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Does the steamworks even do anything without any upgrades?

Nope. Much later on it provides a bonus to another building. Otherwise they just devour your coal doing gently caress all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, but they're worth it.

I just got to the point where I can buy all the upgrades but getting all the achievements is going to take a while.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

On the other hand, later on you really don't want to go through a crafting chain of furs --> parchment --> manuscripts --> compendiums --> blueprints.

You should never craft blueprints. Get your gold income up and trade that poo poo, you need the titanium (and later the iron) anyway. You might wind up with a decent income from printing presses once you hit electricity but that's a long way from where these guys are.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

On the bright side, once you get concrete you're one upgrade away from resetting with roughly +20% happiness, +50% all production rates and +5% storage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angels add together, upgrades multiply. Dropping 200% off your +1000% or whatever angel bonus to get a 3x multiplier upgrade puts you to +1700%.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Actually +2600% but you get the point. I slapped an extra zero somewhere when I subtracted out the base 100%.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Wow, those are some nice bonuses. I just researched Nuclear Fission and I'm at about 150 kitties, is it worth resetting now?

My numbers are for around 120 kittens. The happiness bonus has strong diminishing returns, not sure about the production/storage one. The happiness bonus is called Karma and is a rare resource so you get 10 happiness just for having it and it also gives 1 per point. At 152 kittens you'll get 12 karma, which is first available at 35 kittens. The other bonus is called Paragon and gives 1% global production and .1% storage per point. It seems to be simply 1 per kitten past 69 and is not a rare resource.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 7, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

What do i have to research before I can get the concrete hut upgrades? I just finished archaeology.

Electricity and Mechanization.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's assumed that star charts are going to be used for space travel, which will be
the next major version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think I'm done with Cattegame. The reset bonuses make it feel worse because I can't idle for anything but bars don't fill up fast enough to actively play.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Adventure Capitalism just updated. Lemonade is your new lord and savior :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sindai posted:

Capitalism question: do upgrades and managers you buy with angel investors persist past resets, or are you permanently losing AIs to repurchase them every reset?

You lose them every reset but they're worth it so long as you don't buy ones you can barely afford.

E: I just went from about 8 sextillion angels to 1 octillion since the update :stonk:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 8, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geight posted:

Are there other civs to discover in cattegame other than Lizards, Sharks, and Griffons? I've sent explorers out since then but haven't had any luck, thankfully the game is cool about that and only consumes 50 catpower when I fail.

The later civs have requirements. One of the more important ones needs a trading ship and one of the techs that unlocks at the same time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plus that whole needing 250ish to get titanium from every trip to the zebras thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For adventure capitalist, how do the +10 lemonade stand for 25M angel upgrades work? Does it increase the price in the same way that buying 10 with cash does?

No. They're basically a workaround for how insanely fast newspaper through donut shop go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

In the cat game, do certain civilizations have a higher chance of getting you a blueprint than others? Getting kind of tired of trading 3000 gold away only to get two blueprints.

Other than hostile civs cockblocking you, no.

• Locked thread