Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Slugnoid posted:

It's still hosed to sue the family of a dead man no matter how many afghani headshots he's boomed

He sued him before he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm suing gbs for constantly defaming my excellent posts.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

i still believe the dead guy

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Jesse was right to crush that jabroni, being dead doesn't exempt your behavior in life.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Funny thing is, almost nobody would have heard about the story of him being punched out after defaming seals.

Thanks to this case, everybody has heard the story, and many people who would have never known about the story, now believe it's true.

True or not. Don't really care. Everyone involved is terrible. Still hate Jesse. He was an awful governor and he's a 9-11 truther. gently caress him.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
http://youtu.be/VKgyH9k1CSM

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Master Twig posted:

Funny thing is, almost nobody would have heard about the story of him being punched out after defaming seals.

Thanks to this case, everybody has heard the story, and many people who would have never known about the story, now believe it's true.

True or not. Don't really care. Everyone involved is terrible. Still hate Jesse. He was an awful governor and he's a 9-11 truther. gently caress him.

idk im not a lawyer but im p sure he wants dat cash more than he cares about his public image

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

So if the guy is dead who pays Jesse Ventura?

Or is it like a figurative million dollars.

Yes, it's exactly the same kinda situation if at the grocery store something doesn't have a price tag on it

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

It's still hosed to sue the family of a dead man no matter how many afghani headshots he's boomed

It isn't when that guy wrote a book about killing people, bragged about going to New Orleans to kill people, then bragged about killing two civilians and hiding the bodies.

I'm glad he's dead, that kind of poo poo shouldn't be idolized in a loving book titled "American Sniper".

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
This guy is like living the dream of just picking off thousands of feral urbans :twisted:

e: Lol, more like was

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FADEtoBLACK posted:

I'm glad he's dead, that kind of poo poo shouldn't be idolized in a loving book titled "American Sniper".

are we talking about the beltway shooter

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I thought the topic title was talking about the Undertaker. I would have marked the gently caress out for that.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

scrub k/d doesnt even come close to that finn who killed 500 drunken slavs

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
YEAH WELL it read poorly in venturas favor in the beginning then it sorta turned towards him in the end anda i will base my opinion on this one report therefore i decide that i deserve the money for for unriching my time (this is when juries give me money for wasting my loving time)

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Master Twig posted:

Except for all the media interviews the SEAL dude gave talking about the incident and naming Ventura as Mr. Scruff Face.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Jesse was right to crush that jabroni, being dead doesn't exempt your behavior in life.

:hfive:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
jesse ventura is officially better than skeletons, sorry skeleton crew

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Necros posted:

scrub k/d doesnt even come close to that finn who killed 500 drunken slavs

yeah that dude also didn't die of getting shot once like a pussy lol

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i am pretty glad that in australia we don't let juries decide civil cases in 99.9% of cases but that's neither here nor there

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
so wait, a guy got sued for 2 million dollars because someone said A Thing in a book? freedom of speech is weird

like, can i sue you guys for calling me a fag since it's an attack on my character or is this only a thing for rich whites?

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Robo Reagan posted:

so wait, a guy got sued for 2 million dollars because someone said A Thing in a book? freedom of speech is weird

like, can i sue you guys for calling me a fag since it's an attack on my character or is this only a thing for rich whites?

Only if it damages you and enriches us and you can convince a judge or jury of that.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonkeyBot posted:

Only if it damages you and enriches us and you can convince a judge or jury of that.

so pretty much any sketch comedy or comedian ever can be sued for this stuff? i mean, jon stewart's Bush impression kept the show going for 8 years

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This sets a bad precedent. If Ventura can sue anybody who threw a fictional punch at him, he could bankrupt a lot of old wrestlers.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Robo Reagan posted:

so pretty much any sketch comedy or comedian ever can be sued for this stuff? i mean, jon stewart's Bush impression kept the show going for 8 years

there are usually defences preventing anything from getting too silly like the matter being too trivial, honest opinion, justification etc.

you being a fag would be justified for example

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Why hasn't Carl Weathers tried to run for governor? Like Arnold and Jesse Ventura were in Predator and both became governors, so obviously actors who were in Predator have a good chance at running for the office of governor so why doesn't Carl Weathers run?

Because Sonny "complete genocide of the Arab race" Landham disproved that theory multiple times lol, although to be fair I bet Carl is nowhere near as dumb

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Jerry Falwell vs Larry Flynt, bitch

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

Myron Baloney posted:

Sonny "complete genocide of the Arab race" Landham

More like Sonny "big uncut cock" Landham, amirite?

NSFW http://i.imgur.com/4HRhdJ1.png

Check out that big ol' uncut cock on Sonny Landham. He should have used that to fight with instead of the machete - he might have survived.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.

SymfonyMan posted:

I heard Jesse Ventura punched the guy right in his coffin at the funeral. It's what I heard.

“I laid him out. Coffins flew. Stuff happened. Dead face ended up in the ground."

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Robo Reagan posted:

truth is an absolute defense in the US against being sued for libel so I can call you a fag all I want and get paid mad dollars for it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sniper guy sounds like a serial killer

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
owned

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Libertarian sues over someone using freedom of speech in a book. lol

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Slugnoid posted:

Its not like theyre poor.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Al Borland posted:

They're always always the first ones to sue or appeal to the legal system. I had a guy down the street who posted libertarian screeds painted on sheets of plywood in his lawn for years sue to stop me from selling my land to developers lol.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Myron Baloney posted:

They're always always the first ones to sue or appeal to the legal system. I had a guy down the street who posted libertarian screeds painted on sheets of plywood in his lawn for years sue to stop me from selling my land to developers lol.

Haha.

Well maybe he was concerned about it becoming a 711. Still seriously a libertarian should be like GO MAKE MONEY PROFIT BLAH BLAH BLAH FREEDOM.

God drat, hypocrites.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Al Borland posted:

You don't understand defamation of character, libel and slander. He absolutely should have sued over what happened.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Yeah, the guy used Ventura's name to sell more books. If he had never named Ventura by name, then it probably would not have been a case.

And apparently the book made quite a bit of money

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
after all the poo poo the body went through its kinda nice he's gettin a fat payout from this unabashed killer's estate, and pretty much getting the last word too

my governor :h:

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

ZombieParts posted:

Yeah, the guy used Ventura's name to sell more books. If he had never named Ventura by name, then it probably would not have been a case.

Yea what made the case was explicitly telling interviewers that it was Ventura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

ZombieParts posted:

Not only that, but it ruined his reputation with the public and military personnel. He also makes his money through politics, which was greatly compromised by these lies. Like him or not a person can't make up stories to defame people, make a profit and ruin their careers without repercussions. Satire is fine of course.

Also the insurance company for the books publisher or some poo poo paid for everything including the 1.8 million payout while Ventura had to pay out of pocket for his lawyers.

It's pretty disgusting that this douche bag is held in such high regard for what boils down to shooting fish in a barrel.

• Locked thread