Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Dammit why can't the times be out yet. I actually feel pretty good about my time for once.

e: Well, 20's is still better than 30's.

e2: But globally, I'm first among people missing 2+ times. :v: And its Goontrack time!

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I feel like I've suddenly leveled up rather than gradually improved my skills, at least according to my placements 29-22-24-11-14-13
It seems really odd. :iiam:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ViggyNash posted:

Dammit why can't the times be out yet. I actually feel pretty good about my time for once.
Fine, prepare to get disappointed. :v: Here are the new results

I'm still waiting on Entropist to send me the new track, so in the meantime...

quote:

Goon Track 1 by Raldan, Hiilai, Grawl, Good-Natured Filth, CVE, SupSuper
Gold: 1:23.00

Manual Download - Steam - Blame Chart

Replays are due by 9AM GMT (4AM EST, 1AM PST) on Monday 29th September 2014.

:unsmigghh:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The goon track is pretty interesting. That "Precision Jump" seems very difficult to do as-intended though...

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Whoa, another decent rank, especially since I hit that run fairly early, and spent the next several hundred attempts trying to do the same thing but with several clear improvements that I could never string together into a complete run. Felt fairly sure that I would be way lower in the rankings this round!

I also wonder how many people decided to be crazy like myself, and drive through the little side-gap in the checkpoint before the dirt-turn.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

:stare:

:unsmigghh: is right.

e: Really technical track this time with yet another taunting jump pad at the very end. I know you can make it to the finish from there, but I just keep falling short.

Some Trackmania map editor questions:

You know how a tile, beofre you place it, has a green or red box indicating whether it can or can't be placed? What does a blue box indicate?

How can you force pieces to no-clip, like Entropist did with the curved statue(?) piece and the concrete block at the beginning?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 15, 2014

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
And here's the regular old track:

quote:

Track 7: Derpetology by Entropist
Gold: 1:03.00

Manual Download - Steam - Replay

Replays are due by 9AM GMT (4AM EST, 1AM PST) on Monday 22th September 2014.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 15, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

SupSuper posted:

And here's the regular old track:

Are you sure you haven't mixed them? It's the first track that makes me fear of not getting gold.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

How can you force pieces to no-clip, like Entropist did with the curved statue(?) piece and the concrete block at the beginning?
Hammer icon > Enable Experimental Features > Mix Mapping.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Could someone show me/us how to do the drop for Goon Track 1? I have no idea how to even approach it... I don't get enough speed going from the other side to hit the CPs either.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Thistledown posted:

Could someone show me/us how to do the drop for Goon Track 1? I have no idea how to even approach it... I don't get enough speed going from the other side to hit the CPs either.

Since I created that monstrosity I'll give everyone the same tips I gave upon submitting it: First of all it's possible to do it from the checkpoint so speed shouldn't be an issue due to the boost panels. You approach the jump on the light gray path e.g. either outer side of the ramp and at the moment of the jump you should bend inwards to a certain degree (practice makes perfect here). You'll jump up besides the checkpoints and basically fall in. Don't try to do it directly as you will crash into the CP. For visual confirmation, if you do it from the right side and have the proper angle on the jump your car's tire or chassis (when using the default model obviously) will obstruct the Maniaplanet symbol between the two signs on the backdrop.

Good Luck everyone.

CVE fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 15, 2014

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010

Thistledown posted:

When I'm heading through the boosters I aim for the "mesh" sides of the bottom of the ramp. Once I'm on the ramp I turn hard back towards the center of the ramp so that my inner tire just about hits the solid metal centre of the ramp as I launch off of it. That gives me enough rotation to go up above the rings on the outside and fall down through the centre.

That method seems to have improved my chances of a successful lap from a dice roll to a coin flip. I like the track overall, but that part is simply evil.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

SupSuper posted:

Fine, prepare to get disappointed. :v: Here are the new results

Dammit, I sent in the wrong replay. Is it too late to email the right one?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Dammit, I sent in the wrong replay. Is it too late to email the right one?
Yeah alright, since it doesn't affect your standing.

Thistledown posted:

Something like this :v:

Just drive from the outer edge inwards, and don't hit any checkpoints on the way up.

ViggyNash posted:

e: Really technical track this time with yet another taunting jump pad at the very end. I know you can make it to the finish from there, but I just keep falling short.
There's a checkpoint on the right so I doubt you can skip it and jump straight to the finish, but you can use the jump to go straight into that checkpoint instead.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 16, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
If you're ending up upside down after CVEs part restart and do this:

http://www.gfycat.com/AffectionateHospitableCavy

It's a lot easier than trying to back through the rings.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SupSuper posted:

There's a checkpoint on the right so I doubt you can skip it and jump straight to the finish, but you can use the jump to go straight into that checkpoint instead.

I somehow mentally edited out the existence of that checkpoint. It doesn't seem like that would save a lot of time, maybe a few tenths, but that's still something.

Now, if only I could get there without crashing...

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Eddy Rasta posted:

I also wonder how many people decided to be crazy like myself, and drive through the little side-gap in the checkpoint before the dirt-turn.

Actually did that on accident, considered doing it for the run, but couldn't be consistent enough.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah thats not what it's for. If you use the pad, you don't have to be as careful in the tight S-turn, and can jump up to the CP. No guarantees that it's faster though, just easier.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009

Entropist posted:

No guarantees that it's faster though, just easier.

I've yet to take the s-turn and not gently caress up so it's faster in that sense.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

CVE posted:

Since I created that monstrosity I'll give everyone the same tips I gave upon submitting it: First of all it's possible to do it from the checkpoint so speed shouldn't be an issue due to the boost panels. You approach the jump on the light gray path e.g. either outer side of the ramp and at the moment of the jump you should bend inwards to a certain degree (practice makes perfect here). You'll jump up besides the checkpoints and basically fall in. Don't try to do it directly as you will crash into the CP. For visual confirmation, if you do it from the right side and have the proper angle on the jump your car's tire or chassis (when using the default model obviously) will obstruct the Maniaplanet symbol between the two signs on the backdrop.

Good Luck everyone.

CVE, I'm taking a collection for this voodoo doll for... no particular reason. Would you mind making a small donation?
Some hair?
Part of a security blanket, maybe?

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Actually did that on accident, considered doing it for the run, but couldn't be consistent enough.

Oh, I couldn't be consistent with it either, it just happened to work on the run where I did decently well, and then I never managed to finish a run with or without that trick afterwards. I feel like it helped set up a better drift, at least!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man, the AT is so low it may as well not exist for me. I just pulled off a drat good run an shaved nearly 2 seconds off and only went from silver to gold, and I don't know how I'm going to get more than .5 off my current time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
ATTN: CannibalK9/ddb, your round 5 replay (0:49.229) seems to have mysteriously gone missing. Throw me up a copy somewhere if you want to see yourself in the vid. :)

You didn't supply us with an email and you don't have PMs, so welp.

Edit: Sorry man. They've been sent off for video magic.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 18, 2014

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Hey Aas, if there's only a couple hundreths of a second between the winners, could we do a top 2 (or more) for the "winner" replay like we did last season? I remember it being cool to watch where one would lose time but make it up in other sections of the track.

As for Derpetology, the track is really tough to get a handle on. I'll probably drop a few spots this week because I don't have time this weekend to try and improve my time :(. The AT for this week in particular took forever to get.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

AtomicSX posted:

Hey Aas, if there's only a couple hundreths of a second between the winners, could we do a top 2 (or more) for the "winner" replay like we did last season? I remember it being cool to watch where one would lose time but make it up in other sections of the track.

As for Derpetology, the track is really tough to get a handle on. I'll probably drop a few spots this week because I don't have time this weekend to try and improve my time :(. The AT for this week in particular took forever to get.

Hmmn. That's a good idea, but I haven't even been paying attention to how close the times are, and I've already sent in round 5. I just did a quick check, and both 5 and 6 are pretty close.

I'll do a top two for both of those rounds, if Grawl and SupSuper want to hold off for a bit on the round 5 vid. If not, I'll at least do one for round 6. :)

Edit: Atomic vs. Ghetto 1-on-1 has been sent off to the dark magic video wizards. It's a nail-biter...

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 19, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AtomicSX posted:

At least you got there. I might just send in my non-AT time and hope I'm not lower than 40th.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

aas Bandit posted:

Hmmn. That's a good idea, but I haven't even been paying attention to how close the times are, and I've already sent in round 5. I just did a quick check, and both 5 and 6 are pretty close.

I'll do a top two for both of those rounds, if Grawl and SupSuper want to hold off for a bit on the round 5 vid. If not, I'll at least do one for round 6. :)

Edit: Atomic vs. Ghetto 1-on-1 has been sent off to the dark magic video wizards. It's a nail-biter...
No problem, I'm still waiting on commentary for round 4. :v:

Btw if anyone else wants to volunteer for commentary so we don't keep reusing the same people, just drop us a line. All you need is a mic and some minutes to burn! (quality optional)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I think my standings are going to drop after this and next week - had about 30 minutes tonight to get a time for Track 7, and will have about the same for Track 8 and Goon Track 1 next Sunday. Is it weird that I'd rather be at home playing Trackmania and not on an all-expenses-paid business trip?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I think my standings are going to drop after this and next week - had about 30 minutes tonight to get a time for Track 7, and will have about the same for Track 8 and Goon Track 1 next Sunday. Is it weird that I'd rather be at home playing Trackmania and not on an all-expenses-paid business trip?

No, because gently caress work.

I'm happy with my run for this track but it's nowhere close to the AT and it's making me nervous. I don't know if I can beat my time, though :(

(At least, not without hours upon hours of attempts which I don't have the time or patience for)

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Send in my time. This was easily the worst track so far. It just didn't click for me and I'll probably end up in the end of the pack this time unless everyone else had as many problems as I had. i know I could shave off at least another second if a) I was consistent and b) the loving last two checkpoints and their stupid rear end 180 degree death curves didn't exist.

I will hear no complaints for my track part given that entropist feeds us bullshit worse than my drop on a weekly basis :argh: /rant

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CVE posted:

Send in my time. This was easily the worst track so far. It just didn't click for me and I'll probably end up in the end of the pack this time unless everyone else had as many problems as I had. i know I could shave off at least another second if a) I was consistent and b) the loving last two checkpoints and their stupid rear end 180 degree death curves didn't exist.

I will hear no complaints for my track part given that entropist feeds us bullshit worse than my drop on a weekly basis :argh: /rant

I'd rather do this track a thousand times over than your part of the track once :colbert:

When I tried to goon track, I got to *that* part, and I said to myself, oh this must be the CVE thing everyone was talking about. The bastard. It's worse than I imagined.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Yeah, I didn't like the end bit either. I'd be over a second ahead and then just barely touch anything and the entire run is hosed. If it wasn't at the end, I'd like it a lot better. The rest of the track up to that point was a lot of fun for me. The first half of the track feels really nice when you hit it right, and the second half minus the end had some fun line stuff for me to work out.

I was never able to pull together a time I'm happy with but I really enjoyed the track this week.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Yeah the ending is a real jerk couldn't even beat the AT this week.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
It seems to me like the times were just a bit tougher this week? I'm able to get AT a fair chunk of the time, but the replay I finally sent in was still quite a ways off, and it didn't seem like I'd be able to get much closer.

And yeah, those last few seconds are a bitch. :)

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Does anyone else playing the demo have this thing pop up every 20 minutes or so? Very annoying.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Couldn't get close to AT, gonna have to deal with a poo poo time this week.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

aas Bandit posted:

It seems to me like the times were just a bit tougher this week? I'm able to get AT a fair chunk of the time, but the replay I finally sent in was still quite a ways off, and it didn't seem like I'd be able to get much closer.

And yeah, those last few seconds are a bitch. :)

This is the first track I didn't get the AT on. I think I could've shaved a half second off my time, but other people wanted to play Payday so I opted to shoot cops instead.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I gave up and fully expect bottom place this week. I am not sure why I am admitting this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

meteor9 posted:

I gave up and fully expect bottom place this week. I am not sure why I am admitting this.

Because it seems that there will be a fight for last place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON
No panic guys, I couldn't even get the gold medal this week, so bottom place is already reserved for me.

• Locked thread