Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sabby23 posted:

Thanks to whoever sent out e-mails, these are always a fun couple months. Already liking the first track.

Seconding this. I would've missed thread otherwise, I had tons of fun in the last trackgoonmania.

My fingers hurt from playing today, I bought TM2 Stadium today just for this and I already have 5 hours played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I running in the server right now, if anybody wants someone to race against outpace.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm in.

Just as an FYI to new players, Maniapark has a good number of cool car models, including hillclimbers, classic muscle cars and Sonic. So it's well worth your time to browse through to find something you like. Just be aware, the majority of the player base is European, which means there's a whole mess of formulas and le manses, but only one nascar.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RickVoid posted:

I running in the server right now, if anybody wants someone to race against outpace.

The server is magical bullshit that let me shave off three seconds from my best time on the first run. And then kept going.

Play on the server, it's lucky. You can save your replay for a map by going to esc-> advanced settings, previous run replay. There is no reason to not! Be social.

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Entropist posted:

The top right one? Nevermind that. It's my own private finish, none of you would be able to make it up there. That's where I'll chill, waiting for everyone else to finish at the end of the race.

Have fun!

Yo Entropist, I'm gonna chill in your place for a bit, that's cool right?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

The server is magical bullshit that let me shave off three seconds from my best time on the first run. And then kept going.

Play on the server, it's lucky. You can save your replay for a map by going to esc-> advanced settings, previous run replay. There is no reason to not! Be social.

It helped me knock off a full second of my best time yet. It's pretty great.

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
Oh man I love trackmania, I'm poo poo at it but I do love it. Can't wait to maybe place some times!

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I'm super excited for the new season. I hope to keep up my trend of finishing in the middle of the pack every time.

I didn't work on the goontrack last time, but hopefully I can manage something this time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Sabby23 posted:

I kinda hoped that would happen. :) Good for you.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Even as you gloat Entropist is looking down from the hidden fifth finish smugly.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Sabby23 posted:

:argh: I didn't know you would be participating when I wrote that post!

Hah, good job. Did you drift? It seemed impossible without drifting, at least.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Feinne posted:

Even as you gloat Entropist is looking down up from the hidden fifth finish smugly.

ftfy

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but all the images in the OP are broken for me.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

SageNytell posted:

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but all the images in the OP are broken for me.

Nah, they work just fine on my end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I fired up IRC for the first time in forever, and then found myself wondering "why the heck are there so many people in #trackmania?". Then someone linked the thread, and I realized what's up.

I'm totally up for this, and oh boy have I forgotten how to play since last time.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SageNytell posted:

Make sure your browser/firewall/whatever aren't blocking "somesingawful.com".

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Entropist posted:

:argh: I didn't know you would be participating when I wrote that post!

Hah, good job. Did you drift? It seemed impossible without drifting, at least.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get it again for the rest of the week, everything about that last big turn had to be timed so perfectly in my case.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
I cannot seem to connect to the server, just sends me back to the menu, am I missing something?

Edit: Nevermind.

WirelessPillow fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I always thought about partecipating at the Goon Cup but never managed to get on the trainwreck in time. May I get in as a sparring partner? It's a long time since I last played and was never a pro to begin with.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tafferling posted:

I always thought about participating at the Goon Cup but never managed to get on the trainwreck in time. May I get in as a sparring partner? It's a long time since I last played and was never a pro to begin with.

Get on the server, plenty of partners to go around.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tafferling posted:

I always thought about partecipating at the Goon Cup but never managed to get on the trainwreck in time. May I get in as a sparring partner? It's a long time since I last played and was never a pro to begin with.

If anybody is on the fence about participating, just keep in mind that nobody cares about how bad you are.

Also if you need help, sir smugsalot has given me a lot of helpful tips that I hope I can use to shave at least another half second off my time.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll give this a shot, my goal is not to be last :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
No one really cares if you're bad, and you can always throw 10 hours a day into it until you're super pro.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Renegret posted:

If anybody is on the fence about participating, just keep in mind that nobody cares about how bad you are.

Also if you need help, sir smugsalot has given me a lot of helpful tips that I hope I can use to shave at least another half second off my time.

I feel like I know what to do but the track won't let me :saddowns:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Elliotw2 posted:

No one really cares if you're bad, and you can always throw 10 hours a day into it until you're super pro.

Rub it in why don't you :saddowns:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

They might not say it, but I know that deep inside, people are judging my trackmania skills.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Don't worry, I consider you all to be equally terrible.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of terrible, I made some SA emotes into stickers for you people to paint all over your cars. Extract the zip into \Documents\ManiaPlanet\Media\Painter\stickers and make some horrifying :dong: :yayclod: monster

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
So, as it stands i'm pretty good* at playing this game tith the keyboard, but I bought a 360 pad just recently... Should I try to adapt to the new controller or is the keyboard perfectly fine?

*no

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 2, 2014

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Keyboard is technically fine, some of the best players of this game have been using it. However I guess it would be easier to be consistent if you learn to use the gamepad well, and the xbox 360 pad was one of the most popular ones.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tafferling posted:

So, as it stands i'm pretty good* at playing this game tith the keyboard, but I bought a 360 pad just recently... Should I try to adapt to the new controller or is the keyboard perfectly fine?

*no

The (wired) 360 pad has analog triggers, so you can use those for analog steering if you want. Small hurdle to get over if you want to do this: TM inverts the triggers. Left trigger will steer right, right will steer left, and there's no in-game way to invert them. There are some 3rd-party drivers (XBCD) that can invert them for you, but it only works with the wired controller.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Digital steering is the best way to handle, and the Stadium Car doesn't care if you lightly tap or slightly push a stick, it'll do the same thing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Elliotw2 posted:

Digital steering is the best way to handle, and the Stadium Car doesn't care if you lightly tap or slightly push a stick, it'll do the same thing.

It will also not care if you tap a key light or hard, but it will definitely care if you push or hold a stick (or trigger) light or hard.

I don't care either way, just do whatever works best for you.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I think It's just that you can tap the stick several times per second with slight thumb movements, which create the impression of smooth controls. Doing that with keys means having stenographic fast fingers and a sturdy keyboard.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tafferling posted:

I think It's just that you can tap the stick several times per second with slight thumb movements, which create the impression of smooth controls. Doing that with keys means having stenographic fast fingers and a sturdy keyboard.

TM has analog steering, period. There's not just an impression of smooth controls, they _are_ smooth controls.

Anyway, two thoughts:

* I like how I can just see myself becoming better again. From barely staying on the track to hitting apexes and poo poo, pretty cool. (And also still barely staying on the track, obviously.)

* The Trackmania experience: having a brilliant run, firmly in the blue, and then completely missing the last jump.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

uXs posted:

TM has analog steering, period. There's not just an impression of smooth controls, they _are_ smooth controls.

Tried right now and yes, it's definitely analogic. There's even a nice tuning section in the controls menu!
Shaved off 50'' from my best in half an hour.
It's not that I'm faster, just more consistent. And a lot of laps completed means I can get to practice that last turn more often and every one could be THE ONE.
Love it; sorry keyboard, you're out from Trackmania too.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

Entropist posted:

Keyboard is technically fine, some of the best players of this game have been using it. However I guess it would be easier to be consistent if you learn to use the gamepad well, and the xbox 360 pad was one of the most popular ones.

I'm on keyboard, I tried using a gamepad and it didn't really work that well for me so I went back.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Yessss, made the Entropist exit.... a second slower than my best time.

Raldan fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 3, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Raldan posted:

Yessss, made the Entropist exit.... a second slower than my best time.

That's honestly something I was thinking about. You actually can do a pretty slow run ending with great speed on the last straight, to the point that this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I hit the Entro Exit too. The bottom of it. With the nose of my car.

(Was a slow run too so whatever.)

• Locked thread