Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Good season everyone, looking forward to the rest of the videos for the season.

Can't give enough thanks to SupSuper, Aas Bandit, Grawl, Entropist, and the commentators for doing all the behind the scenes stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Might be commentating the Stercus run. How the gently caress will I pull that off?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Might be commentating the Stercus run. How the gently caress will I pull that off?
We believe in you! ;)

Speaking of, here's the next video:

Race 5: Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Video: HD ~ SD

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamit, running into the wall at the end dropped me an entire tier.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
*gasp!*

:stare:I'm... 30th Place?
Out of 65?!?!?!

:swoon: I'M MEDIOCRE!!! :swoon:

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

SupSuper posted:

Nice, the only race I performed somewhat decently in.

How much time do you guys usually spent driving a track before you send it in? This track I practiced on three or four evenings for maybe two hours each. The latter tracks I didn't practice that much, so my ranking is also much lower.

Looking forward for the rest of the video's, thanks for all your time organizing stuff Gooncup Elders!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SupSuper posted:

We believe in you! ;)

Speaking of, here's the next video:

:iceland:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Duke Jan posted:

Nice, the only race I performed somewhat decently in.

How much time do you guys usually spent driving a track before you send it in? This track I practiced on three or four evenings for maybe two hours each. The latter tracks I didn't practice that much, so my ranking is also much lower.

Looking forward for the rest of the video's, thanks for all your time organizing stuff Gooncup Elders!

I generally played for a few hours on release day then often not again until sunday/monday where I played for a few hours before cut off.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I've been without internet for a couple of days, but I'll check the vid when I get home tonight.

FillInTheBlank posted:

I generally played for a few hours on release day then often not again until sunday/monday where I played for a few hours before cut off.

Yeah, this is me as well, although it varied pretty hugely some weeks, depending on how much other stuff I had going on at work or home.

I enjoyed the season a great deal! Just doing replays and participating like everyone else is so much less work than keeping track of everything and keeping stuff organized.

Huge thanks to SupSuper, Entropist, and Grawl for doing the organizy-bits, building, vids, and all the rest of the work involved, and to all the commentators for making things more entertaining!

Edit: Nice idea to add the trails on the duel race--that looked really cool! :)

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 27, 2014

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
I usually played an hour or so each session 2-4 times during the week depending on how busy I was. The last few weeks I was scrambling to get a decent time on Sunday while I watched football.

I played with arrow keys with my left index finger on the left arrow, and my right hand index/middle/ring on brake/accel/right respectively. Maybe I need to invest in a gamepad if I want to reach smug level. Anyone else stick mainly with a gamepad?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was playing with a 360 controller because I'm rear end with the keyboard's digital controls.

My play schedule was, at first, an hour or two on Monday when the track came out, another couple on Wednesday, and that was it. And then my schedule got worse.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
I spent about an average of two hours per track, might have gone back to do a little more on one or two occasions.

This was the first season where I had a decent controller available, so I tried it out. Started off not liking it, but once I fiddled with the controls (bound accelerate to X and brake to A, so I could feather either of them at will) I found that I really enjoyed it, and stuck with it ever since.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
If any of you want to try something while waiting for the rest of the vids, I just released the fourth installment in my "Evil Track" series. Picture the Trackmania equivalent of a tough "Trials" track, and you should have a good idea of what this is all about; it will take you a lot of tries to get to the finish... :) (Oh, and it's Valley, so you'll need that environment.)

http://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/tr/74167

(If you give it a try, consider uploading the first-run replay. I love to watch people figure these things out.)

Edit: Fixed link to point to updated track.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 1, 2014

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

If any of you want to try something while waiting for the rest of the vids, I just released the fourth installment in my "Evil Track" series. Picture the Trackmania equivalent of a tough "Trials" track, and you should have a good idea of what this is all about; it will take you a lot of tries to get to the finish... :) (Oh, and it's Valley, so you'll need that environment.)

http://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/tr/73674

(If you give it a try, consider uploading the first-run replay. I love to watch people figure these things out.)

Uhh, when I try to look for the map I downloaded, it doesn't show up on the list. Then, when I bring up the windows explorer interface from the game to manually select the file, I get "Could not find the title 'Trackmania_2' by nadeolabs", though downloading some map from the steam workshop seems to work fine in Valley.

EDIT: Wait, hitting "More Info" brought me to a download page for some title pack. That should fix things. First run replay coming up soon for you, Aas!

EDIT 2: Well, it still doesn't show up in the list, and when I manually select the file, it just says "The game has to be restarted to complete the update". It restarts, I get a window that just says "Preparing to launch Trackmania 2", and nothing. Really odd...

EDIT 3: Trying to start the game makes it finish whatever update it's requesting, but that doesn't seem to solve anything. I tried redownloading the map using the manialink from the in-game browser, but it caused the same issue.

Eddy Rasta fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 28, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Goddammit, I did some searching on the TMX forums, and it looks like there's an issue with maps made in the multi-environment pack (that lets you mix environments/cars) that causes those maps to not show up in the "pure" packs, even if they're "pure" maps (valley car + valley env in this case).

You *should* be able to just click on an empty station on the Maniaplanet home screen and add the multi-environment pack to your game, assuming you have all three environments. That's how I did it, but I'm not sure if it works on Steam? Look for the one with all three cars on it... Edit: It's in the "Store", but it's a free pack...

This one:

In the meantime, I poked a dev to see if there's some way to manually fix the map so people with just the valley pack can play it. Sorry for the confusion. :(

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 28, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

aas Bandit posted:

Goddammit, I did some searching on the TMX forums, and it looks like there's an issue with maps made in the multi-environment pack (that lets you mix environments/cars) that causes those maps to not show up in the "pure" packs, even if they're "pure" maps (valley car + valley env in this case).

You *should* be able to just click on an empty station on the Maniaplanet home screen and add the multi-environment pack to your game, assuming you have all three environments. That's how I did it, but I'm not sure if it works on Steam? Look for the one with all three cars on it... Edit: click on an empty box, then choose "store", but it's a free pack...

In the meantime, I poked a dev to see if there's some way to manually fix the map so people with just the valley pack can play it. Sorry for the confusion. :(

For a quick dirty fix you just use the in-game Copy/Paste & Macroblock tool to turn the entire track into a macro block, save it and then open up the valley track editor and place your macroblock of the track and save it.

Edit: gently caress Valley, who the hell thought that up.
It's the worst goddamn thing.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 28, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

FillInTheBlank posted:

For a quick dirty fix you just use the in-game Copy/Paste & Macroblock tool to turn the entire track into a macro block, save it and then open up the valley track editor and place your macroblock of the track and save it.

I can actually open the track with the valley editor and re-save it, but it still doesn't show up in the valley menu.
I'm guessing it would take a re-validation (or something else?).

Having to re-validate (which I'd have to do if I pasted it into a brand new map space) would suck balls. It took me about three hours for a nice fast run. I could probably do it again in an hour or so, but... :suicide:

Thanks for the suggestion though. I may resort to that, if another solution doesn't come along. The dev mentioned maybe being able to fix a similar problem that someone else had back in August, but the thread stopped after he posted, so...eh. I sent him a PM.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

You *should* be able to just click on an empty station on the Maniaplanet home screen and add the multi-environment pack to your game, assuming you have all three environments.

Unfortunately, even adding that pack causes major issues with the steam version, the issues I've described above with always needing to restart and update.

The solution, as I've discovered, is to download a standalone ManiaPlanet client and play the game through there, thanks to instructions from this link: http://friday-night-gaming.com/steam_and_maniaplanet.php

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. That finish, in ep5. That's a co-winner finish if ever I saw one.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Eddy Rasta posted:

Unfortunately, even adding that pack causes major issues with the steam version, the issues I've described above with always needing to restart and update.

The solution, as I've discovered, is to download a standalone ManiaPlanet client and play the game through there, thanks to instructions from this link: http://friday-night-gaming.com/steam_and_maniaplanet.php

Oh well, at least you found a solution. Steam's usually pretty good at poo poo like that, but I guess having one game "envelope" with an arbitrary number of games/modes inside, all in separate packs, that may or may not be dependent on one another is pretty weird. I look forward to any replay assuming you're not sick of screwing with it by now. :)

Glazius posted:

Wow. That finish, in ep5. That's a co-winner finish if ever I saw one.
Yeah, I had fun doing the cams for that. That sort of close racing is fun to work with!

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

I look forward to any replay assuming you're not sick of screwing with it by now. :)

Well, you're in luck! I finally got the track to work, although I didn't think to unbind my 'give up' key until AFTER I accidentally hit it, wiping out fifteen minutes of bumbling idiocy. Basically, that just means I had a general idea in the replay of how to do the first three or four sections, up until the part where you boost onto a really thin bridge.

Still wound up being nearly half an hour.

Aaand I can't seem to upload the replay to the site, because "The driver login does not match your player login", which is a bug that I can only find a sole thread regarding, where a site dev 'fixed' it. So, for Aas and anyone else who would want to watch someone dumbly try to inch through a track (only to kinda give up at the end and take the cheap way out), have a link! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/978541/Evil%20Track%204%20Up%2C%20Down%2C%20and%20Sideways_eddyrasta(25%2754%27%2757).Replay.Gbx

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Eddy Rasta posted:

I didn't think to unbind my 'give up' key until AFTER I accidentally hit it
Yeah, I have mine way off in nowhere-land on my keyboard for that very reason.

Eddy Rasta posted:

for Aas and anyone else who would want to watch someone dumbly try to inch through a track (only to kinda give up at the end and take the cheap way out), have a link! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/978541/Evil%20Track%204%20Up%2C%20Down%2C%20and%20Sideways_eddyrasta(25%2754%27%2757).Replay.Gbx
Dude, I owe you one. It was a long day at work, and I got home, downloaded it, sat here and ate a turkey sandwich, and enjoyed every second of that replay. :D

I laughed every time you honked the horn because it reminded me of "gently caress" getting bleeped on the radio. Great job hanging in there, and there's no shame at all in taking the cut at the end; I was dumb to not put something there to prevent it (and besides, it was harder than the intended way, IMO).

If anyone's interested in watching Eddy's valiant struggle and victory (and you should be), the replay can be viewed in the default valley pack.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, any time I was swearing, but not super-focused on retrying, I'd add in a honk. As for the ending part, that still baffles me. I mean, I managed to make that long jump way more reliably than the (granted, 0%) success rate for what I assume is the correct way.

The only part that I thought was kind of unintuitive was the cliff-scaling part leading up to the last checkpoint before the end. You could see that I tried it a couple of times, tried going either way (to the point where I reached the end and didn't finish the track), and almost gave up, since the idea of jumping at the cliff at an angle didn't seem like it would give any different results. Maybe just a sign (that could be put in place to block my alternate route to the end) that points upward would at least make it apparent that yes, you are supposed to go up the cliff.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
My first try replay on that Valley track: http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/64369172/file.html

The hardest was the part where I took the shortcut, it took me a while to figure that one out. I got the author time later, could probably be done a lot faster if I got lucky and got the shortcut on the first try. I would say the hardest parts are the loop/shortcut, and the final big drop. The other parts, I could do reliably enough after playing for a while.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

My first try replay on that Valley track: http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/64369172/file.html

The hardest was the part where I took the shortcut, it took me a while to figure that one out. I got the author time later, could probably be done a lot faster if I got lucky and got the shortcut on the first try. I would say the hardest parts are the loop/shortcut, and the final big drop. The other parts, I could do reliably enough after playing for a while.

Wow, two replays and I get owned twice! Eddy found one cut and you found another one. :)
Very, very nice job guys.

I'm going to hide the track at this point and go ahead and eliminate those cuts, and re-validate (this time with the actual Valley pack). That may take a while...

Entro, your replay was also incredibly fun to watch (and it makes me feel better that you didn't just figure things out immediately). I LOLed for real when you got flipped upside down by the check point. Thanks for the time spent and the entertainment!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It was also my first time playing Valley since a long time ago, so on the first jump I had to spend time just remembering how the steering works again :v:

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
To be fair, I also flipped over right before that same checkpoint during the part of the replay I lost, while thinking "Hah, wouldn't it be awful if I flipped over right about here?" and went on to rest my head on the desk for a little bit when it actually happened. Though, it had taken me a few minutes longer than Entropist just to figure out a clean enough path to jump that high.

This track was also my first time playing Valley, ever! Really strange to switch to such a jumpy car from the relative weightiness of Stadium.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

It was also my first time playing Valley since a long time ago, so on the first jump I had to spend time just remembering how the steering works again :v:

Eddy Rasta posted:

This track was also my first time playing Valley, ever! Really strange to switch to such a jumpy car from the relative weightiness of Stadium.

Yeah, the handling is very different from Stadium. I initially didn't like it when I first started playing it, but it's grown on me and I really like it now.

The track has benefited greatly from the two of you driving it. I worked on it tonight and got the two cuts eliminated. I also added another CP up on top of that spire and it's real obvious that you have to go up there now.

Now I just need to tweak some replay cams and validate it again. Yeah.

Edit: The new version of the track is uploaded (and is now playable in normal Valley)--that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. :) AT is just under 3 minutes with one restart and some slow-and-careful driving in a couple of spots. Something down around 2:00 is theoretically possible, but it would take more work than I want to put into it.

It's better than it was, due to the efforts of Eddy and Entro--thanks again guys!

http://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/tr/74167

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 1, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
So Nadeo has just made TM2 Stadium completely free until Gamers Assembly in April next year.

http://blog.maniaplanet.com/blog/2014/10/21/road-to-gamers-assembly/

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I made a new track;
http://tm.mania-exchange.com/tracks/view/74325

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

This is a cool track! I really like the use of grass here--it keeps you on your toes and forces some unusual lines if you want to keep your speed up. :)

On the other hand, if you respawn at the 4th CP, you're trapped under the ramp for all eternity. :(

Fix that somehow and it would be a keeper for me...

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

aas Bandit posted:

This is a cool track! I really like the use of grass here--it keeps you on your toes and forces some unusual lines if you want to keep your speed up. :)

On the other hand, if you respawn at the 4th CP, you're trapped under the ramp for all eternity. :(

Fix that somehow and it would be a keeper for me...

Oh right I forget people actually use the respawn option on short tracks.

Edit: Updated track to replace that CP with a ring CP.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 6, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

FillInTheBlank posted:

Updated track to replace that CP with a ring CP.

Thanks for the fix! Sticking this in the "Keep Me" folder.

You've given me an idea for something involving grass and lots of boosters...I'll post here if anything worthwhile comes of it...

Edit: Just noticed that the second goontrack isn't listed in the list of tracks in the second post--does that need to be updated?

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 7, 2014

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Past the half-way point now!

Race 6: Eat Sleep Race Repeat

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
hah, GhettoWizard was lucky that AtomicSX went two-wheeling there at the end!

The end of the track was pretty difficult tho, you can see in my replay that the camera is focused on one of the cars at the back of the race and all the others just mess up or crash near the end and it finishes like second.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I'm pretty surprised how close the C-Class was to each other. Even in the previous seasons, I'm used to the cars being so spread that you can't see one end of the crowd from the other.

Good show, everyone!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Really close all around! That was probably my favorite track of the season (outside of the Goon Tracks, of course).

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

SupSuper posted:

Great job guys!

Entropist posted:

hah, GhettoWizard was lucky that AtomicSX went two-wheeling there at the end!

Yeah, I really enjoyed doing the vs. cams when 1st and 2nd were nicely close and nail-bitey. :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SupSuper posted:

Aww, still in a-class. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SupSuper posted:

With regards to my "shortcut" at the dirt gate: I did it once by accident while cutting it too close on my drifting, noticed it was faster than my previous runs, and after a couple more attempts realized that it was much easier to do consistently than actually making that turn.

It was a terrible decision overall though, since I'd have had a much better time if I'd spent the same amount of effort on figuring out how to drift that turn properly.

• Locked thread