Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Aw hell yeah!

SupSuper said we could have a goontrack this year if enough people wanna participate.

A goontrack is a delightful thing where we all build a track together with each person building about 10seconds or so track.
No experience needed and I'm idling in the IRC 24/7 if you need help.

Anyone want in?

So far we got;
FillInTheBlank
Mr Fahrenheit
Twisted Eye
Aas Bandit
@Neofelis
Grawl
Hiilai
CVE
Good-Natured Filth
Raldan
Eddy Rasta

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

RickVoid posted:

I'm in. Money's tight so I'll be running the demo version. Should be enough time on that to dick around and complete whatever track you're having us run.

Haven't participated in previous years (racing noob, woop woop), so I'm just curious; how long are the races? Are we talking short and sweet 3-5 lap races, or ridiculous Indy 500 style races? Or is it one lap and post your time?

Most tracks in Trackmania aren't lapped. They're a point A to B kinda thing and they wont be long. 1min length tracks are considered long.

Also sweet tip: If you're not nailing a track today just come back tomorrow. No need to burn yourself out. (Well unless you're using the demo version then you only have so much time a day.)

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

RickVoid posted:

EDIT: This is going to sound dumb, but how do I play the track? I subscribed to it through Steam, and I can see that it downloaded, but I can't find the option to play a custom track in the demo. Help?

Local Play > Single Map

Then navigate to where ever you downloaded it to.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

MooCowlian posted:

Is there a way to compare two replays with a camera above or something? My current best is really shoddy on the opening and I know I can improve, but in every other run I'm consistently losing at least half a second on the dirt and ending up behind my shameful wall touching PB. I can't work out why.

Yes, you can do it using the replay editor.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
It took all night to finish up and the AT is horrible but I'm finally done.

Click ^

Time for sleep.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

aas Bandit posted:

-Good flow, and I really like the density and claustrophobic feeling of the scenery! Cool track! :)
*hits dirt boil protruding through track and flips upside down*
-Well, other than that part.
*misses jump repeatedly because you can't get enough speed from the CP*

You shouldn't be driving anywhere close to where that piece of dirt sticks through that's why I left it in.
The track is fully restart-able, jump to the left of the fake finish.

Entropist posted:

Yeah, also the fastest way at the finish seems to involve crashing into the wall since there is no space to make much of a slide and the finish is right after the turn, that's kinda random.

Hmm is the final turn really that bad? I managed to get a clean 35s time while building that I never saved.
I'm not very good tech wise so you probably have a lot more speed than I do.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

ViggyNash posted:

Yes, thank you.

More importantly it's (mostly) complete! I know it can be improved, especially specific sections, but I'm not sure how I should or want to, so I decided to just throw it out there and see what people think. Should take just under a minute.

e: Will this work?

Just upload it on Mania Exchange.
Set it to unreleased if you don't want it being publicly visible.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Thistledown posted:

I know this is a thread for TM2 but I don't have it and I'm told TM2 Stadium is basically the same. So, have a track I've been working on for a little while. I'm sick of trying to make a better time on it, so someone destroy it for me so I can feel extra bad about my time. Have a run on my new stadium track, Playful Whispers.

Reminder that this is for the stadium environment for TM Nations Forever/United, not TM2 Stadium. If you folks don't care for outdated old content, that's cool. I'll... I'll just take my tracks and play by myself... :smith:

You track works perfectly fine in TM2.

There is a small cut at the start.
If you reverse straight away and then head for the 1st CP it's slightly faster than going up and down the hill. I have an 8.44 1st CP time without cut and a 8.24 1st CP time with it in TM United.

My PB in United is a pretty crappy 44.32 run
My PB in TM2 is an pretty alright 44.32 run

Same time both games :v:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

IRC posted:

<Entropist> my backwards time is better than forwards now

Have fun everyone.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

ViggyNash posted:

Final version of my track is complete! (Download)(Steam Workshop)

Let me know what you think.

I did a bad thing to your track.
http://shootymcgunshot.com/tmfiles/Refolded_FillInTheBlank(00%2747%27%2724).Replay.Gbx

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I'm out of time for the week. I really need to get better at dirt, there's a bunch of time I know I can gain.

There should be 1 little thing of interest in my replay though.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Thistledown posted:

Blue Contemplation, found at workshop and not.

I quite enjoyed this track, nice and tight with good speed.

You should upload it on Mania-Exchange too. (TMX for TM2)

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
2nd!?!?

I thought for sure I would end up around 9th again.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Taking the jump on the right route is the fastest way I've found.
If you don't have a good angle during the drop you won't have enough speed to land it.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Camoes posted:

http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/car.php?id=1102

This one, for example. I put it in the folder but it doesn't appear in game.

That was made for Trackmania United, not Trackmania2 so it wont work.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Gamerofthegame posted:

this track leaves no margin for error and i hate it

But it's really easy so ???

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Can we penalise Entropist since he gets extra time to play the tracks since he makes them.

I think that would be fair for us all.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Foozle posted:

I still haven't figured out where to aim in the inversion well enough to even get through it more than half the time and then it's a crapshoot whether I can maintain any control into the open area at the bottom.

It should go something like this:
http://shootymcgunshot.com/tmfiles/SA7%20-%20Artificial%20Datastream_Inversion.webm

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Lone Goat posted:

No I mean it goes to the tight 3rd person camera instead of the wide one.

How do you change the default to be further out?

That'll mean you're using the closer third person cam when you go in as it switches back to your last used camera when you exit not your default.

Both camera 3 & 2 do have a similar view just after the loop ends because otherwise camera 3 would be through the wall.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 31, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

aas Bandit posted:

Also, is anyone else having problems with too much speed out of the loop? Most of the time I'll land just before the transition to the blue surface and things are cool, but a couple of times I did...something...and managed to land clear out in the middle of the blue. It's a bitch turning right at that point--you either ram into the metal quarter-pipe-ish barrier, or you lose a ton of speed.

Edit: And I just shaved off almost another 3/4 of a second. Welp.

Turn slightly just before you jump so land at an angle and can quickly drift the turn instead of landing straight and then trying to turn.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Lowen posted:

I got an error while submitting my replay, but my name shows up on the list of people who've submitted times for the track. I guess it's ok?

E-mail it in anyway.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

aas Bandit posted:

For me, the hardest part about this current track is that section before the last CP. That turn-into-drop-down just kills me. I know there's another .25-.50 in there if I can just hit it right, but I tend to either have to slow down too much to avoid swinging wide before the drop and hitting the wall, or else when I do hit it nice and fast, the landing on that dirt-mix block can get really funky for some reason. The rest of the track feels pretty good, but that bit... :argh:

In other news, if anyone is feeling slightly masochistic (and hey, you are in this thread), I just released Perfect 10 7.

It's a stadium track, and like all my "Perfect 10" tracks, it's very difficult (think Trials-ish).
Also, you only drive on 10 track blocks to complete the track, thus the name.

This one is about 30 seconds long, and I'd love to see some replays. Any feedback is appreciated.

You know how you have that flashing block like this:

Well if you place another block like 9-1-7 above the flashing block it'll fix it like this:

Oh and here's my terrible replay from my first time finishing Perfect 10-7
Replay

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

SupSuper posted:

Entropist is really enjoying his block-mixing. :v:

And to think he called me bad for using blockmix last season.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I was feeling pretty burned out at the end of last season but I had been playing a lot of Trackmania back then.

I'm enjoying this season so I can keep going on forever.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Raldan posted:

I'm just glad I improved enough that I didn't have to send in my replay with me hitting a wall.

There are times when hitting a wall is faster.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I didn't even know you could go around. Thank god it's the slow way or I would be real mad.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I think I know the exact spot you are talking about.

There's one or two wall bangs I think might be faster but they are really hard ones to pull off.
One is hitting this part of the CP which slows you down and angles you perfectly into the dirt without the need for you to brake.

I don't pull either off in my current PB so don't fret.

Edit: Wow is my PB horrible. There's an easy 1s to take off at least.
Edit2: and there goes 0.80 off.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 15, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
If you're ending up upside down after CVEs part restart and do this:

http://www.gfycat.com/AffectionateHospitableCavy

It's a lot easier than trying to back through the rings.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Yeah the ending is a real jerk couldn't even beat the AT this week.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

SupSuper posted:

Hopefully the results will help clarify that.

ugh, gently caress off entro.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Hi there.

I'm just here to post 2 cuts hours away from the deadline.

https://gfycat.com/JoyousPoorHarborseal
This one I'm not sure is faster, it's about equal with taking the jump in my playing.

https://gfycat.com/KnobbyWholeCockatoo
This one should be.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
If you are extremely lucky you can drive for the walls once you're upside down and they'll flip you over and you can land on your wheels going through the CP.
I have only managed it once.

You can also skip the loop entirely but that's also another 1 in a million chance cut.

Also here is a big cut for the start of GT2.
I thought it would be unfair not to mention this.

http://www.gfycat.com/ImpishUntimelyAmericancurl

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I also made a thing

A Simple Technique

A track I made using only the 3 most basic blocks;
The standard road piece, the short 45° turn and checkpoints.

Try not to get lost.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Gamerofthegame posted:

Goon track is honestly pretty straight forward and fun. Entropist's has that gently caress off bump-jump in the middle of it.

The gently caress, Entropist.

Drive at it straight, you don't want to have any angle when you hit it.
Make sure you don't jump too far down the hill to it otherwise it's very hard to correct your angle.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Managed to land right side up after the loop!

http://www.gfycat.com/TemptingAdmiredAltiplanochinchillamouse

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I... I won.

How did this happen? I didn't use any cuts and there were multiple times I lost runs that were -3.xx.
I thought I would be 6th at the highest.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Grimwit posted:

Welp, congratulations, Goons.
You've created a track that made me yell at my wife.
Five years and I never yelled at her before.
Marriage in jeopardy because you had to make a frustrating track.

I hope you're happy with yourself.:argh:

Replay submitted.
Don't care if I come in last.
I now have to trade track time with getting flowers and sleeping on couch time.

Edit: Bonus track time sent through email.

I'm sorry :(

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Bonus track times are up

Grats AtomicSX

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Duke Jan posted:

Nice, the only race I performed somewhat decently in.

How much time do you guys usually spent driving a track before you send it in? This track I practiced on three or four evenings for maybe two hours each. The latter tracks I didn't practice that much, so my ranking is also much lower.

Looking forward for the rest of the video's, thanks for all your time organizing stuff Gooncup Elders!

I generally played for a few hours on release day then often not again until sunday/monday where I played for a few hours before cut off.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

aas Bandit posted:

Goddammit, I did some searching on the TMX forums, and it looks like there's an issue with maps made in the multi-environment pack (that lets you mix environments/cars) that causes those maps to not show up in the "pure" packs, even if they're "pure" maps (valley car + valley env in this case).

You *should* be able to just click on an empty station on the Maniaplanet home screen and add the multi-environment pack to your game, assuming you have all three environments. That's how I did it, but I'm not sure if it works on Steam? Look for the one with all three cars on it... Edit: click on an empty box, then choose "store", but it's a free pack...

In the meantime, I poked a dev to see if there's some way to manually fix the map so people with just the valley pack can play it. Sorry for the confusion. :(

For a quick dirty fix you just use the in-game Copy/Paste & Macroblock tool to turn the entire track into a macro block, save it and then open up the valley track editor and place your macroblock of the track and save it.

Edit: gently caress Valley, who the hell thought that up.
It's the worst goddamn thing.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
So Nadeo has just made TM2 Stadium completely free until Gamers Assembly in April next year.

http://blog.maniaplanet.com/blog/2014/10/21/road-to-gamers-assembly/

• Locked thread