Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm in. Money's tight so I'll be running the demo version. Should be enough time on that to dick around and complete whatever track you're having us run.

Haven't participated in previous years (racing noob, woop woop), so I'm just curious; how long are the races? Are we talking short and sweet 3-5 lap races, or ridiculous Indy 500 style races? Or is it one lap and post your time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
For folks who don't have the game and feel a little intimidated by only having 48 hrs on the demo before it switches to one hour per day: they are running a special for the summer where your actually start with 72 hours. So a total of four days. This probably only applies if you are just getting the demo right now (or starting a new account), but hey! That's more time to beat your head against the track.

EDIT: This is going to sound dumb, but how do I play the track? I subscribed to it through Steam, and I can see that it downloaded, but I can't find the option to play a custom track in the demo. Help?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 31, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

It looks like the workshop doesn't work with the demo, so you have to do it the manual way.

You also don't get custom models or anything with the demo, which is a shame.

Edit: you're still the fuckhole of maps, tho.

Especially that turn off the dirt.

Figured it out. I'll have to do the manual install each time which is fine.

This map can suck it though. My best is still way over the suggested time. Get gud, I guess.

Things I need to learn:
- Drifting. The youtube tutorial was not overly helpful. Am I actually supposed to hold forward on the stick, and the back as the arrows on the video show, or is that supposed to be a stand-in for throttling the engine (IE: taking my finger off the accelerator momentarily)?
-How not to suck.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

The biggest "pro-tip" I can offer is there is two methods of braking. One is simply not accelerating for a moment; even the slightest bit is usually enough to get around most corners. It also works in the air! Which is actually especially important for the end of the map so you don't miss. Actual braking puts you into a miniature skid, which lets you cut really tight corners at the cost of all your speed.

I clawed out gold-level times without breaking at all, so just ease up on the gas and you should be able to round those gaps - and spend less time in the air when it's important.

Yeah, I'm not bad at that type of breaking (foot off gas) in-game or irl, but my current problem is that I'll absolutely kill one section and the next I'll dick a turn and lose half my speed. Guess I just need to play more.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That demo replay helped a lot, managed to get in under the time Entopist put up (although it is admittedly not his fastest time). Going to spend until the deadline trying to improve upon it, but I'm happy with the time I got.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I running in the server right now, if anybody wants someone to race against outpace.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

The server is magical bullshit that let me shave off three seconds from my best time on the first run. And then kept going.

Play on the server, it's lucky. You can save your replay for a map by going to esc-> advanced settings, previous run replay. There is no reason to not! Be social.

It helped me knock off a full second of my best time yet. It's pretty great.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Bonus points for hitting the EE?

I have relearned the hate for past me, past me pulls of BS moves, past me takes advantage of every little mistake. Past me keeps getting better.

Then you wipe a second off your time, pysically shout out "YES!" followed by the wife in the other room asking "Are you OK dear?"

This is basically my Trackmania experience, except I also have a a two and four year-old who cheer when I get passed by past me. :3: And then complain that it's their turn to play "the car game".

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I remember feeling like a bit of a dick when I made the first 10 seconds of that course. Little did I know how much of a big bunch of assholes Goons really can be.

I am so looking forward to this years goon track oh my god.

*EDIT* As a new job-haver (starting this monday!) I've got a feeling I'll be purchasing the full game before this is all said and done.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 7, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Man am I glad I saw that email. My time is probably terrible since I only spent like 30m on it, but better this than not submitting one.

Also I accidentally bought a copy of TM2 Stadium even though I own it so first person to post their email gets it I guess?

*EDIT* Snip

Thank you man.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 10, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I get skins to work? I grabbed the zip off maniaplanet, dropped it in the folder as directed but it doesn't show up in selection.

If you're using the demo, it doesn't work. You need to buy the game in order to use new skins/models.

If you bought the game, then I dunno.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well this is loving ridiculous. Managed to figure out how to get through the course before you put up your handy guide but gently caress. Hello minute and a half run time, how the hell are you? :smithicide:

Lone Goat posted:

I have a feeling you won't get as many submissions after this track :v:

This.

*EDIT* First run through was completed using this. Have fun trying to figure out where the front end of the drat thing actually is.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Renegret posted:

This is incredibly silly.

I like it.

I kind of wish it was just the legs that rotated, for maximum nostalgia, but it's practically unusable anyway.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Got my replay sorted out and sent in, which should secure me the 21st place spot with 39.98 seconds.

Middle of the pack. Better than I was expecting.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's actually 43.98, unless you sent in the wrong file.

Y'know, it's funny. No matter how many times I read that it's 43.98 it still gets saved in my head as 39.98. I've seriously thought it was that for the last week.

Ugh. 51st place doesn't sound nearly as nice. At least I'm not last.

*edit* Actually watched Entropist's replay for Baconic Rites for the first time. Would you believe that I had been comlpeting the course without making that hard left turn shortly after the wall-ride?

Literally just barely squeezed under a minute. The good news is that means I only need to knock off nearly three seconds to get below Entropist's poo poo time.

:smithicide:

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 13, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, I can't even play the loving map anymore without getting pissed off within ~10 minutes. I've got a feeling I'll be uploading my just under one minute time because gently caress this.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Managed to knock a bit more time off, but I think it's time to call it. The ending is just killing me, I know I can land that loving jump way better, but I just can't beat my head against it anymore.

Replay and skin submitted, can't wait for the controversy over my skin to begin. :D

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So, I guess dirty little tracks are my bag? I've already got a time I'm pretty comfortable with, so my time has nowhere to go but down. On Your Mom.

Finishing on Your Mom sucks balls though. Trying to get up on that hump is just taking too long and leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

So I guess it's time for me to experiment with Your Mom.

I think part of the reason I'm finding Your Mom really easy is because I played a lot of Hydro Thunder as a kid, and I'm just pretending that I'm a boat and Your Mom is really wet.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I hate to say it son, but I think Your Mom has been fuckin' around on me. Every time I get back on 'er, she's got a new dirty trick or two that I sure as hell ain't taught her!

Think I'm gonna tell her I need some space. Ride some other tracks for a bit.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just put mine up. Haven't touched Your Mom since day one, which sucks. Didn't even get to ride her backwards. Sounds like the rest of you were giving it to her pretty good though, so I'm looking forward to special night; me, the video of everyone riding Your Mom, a box of tissues, and a lubricant.

LIBATION! I MEANT A LIBATION!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not last!

:negative:

*Edit* Something fuzzy going on with that math. Site is claiming nearly three minutes, but my math is coming up with an overall of 2.38.791.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 25, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I like the new map. I'm solidly under a minute now, so I feel safe with my progress for tonight.

Love the start, and I figured out a nice trick to the fall that saved me a bit of time- but more importantly provided a way to convert my drop speed to forward momentum.

The maze seems like a trap: everything but the far left path looks like it would be faster, but you have to slow down (or drift, I guess) to get through those snakey bits and you get more straight up speed just ramming down the left.

The speed-boost in front of a wall is a dick move. The follow-up speed-boost-to-wallride-to-loop is a dick move. I haven't hit that thing in a manner that I've liked for any of my runs.

The rest is gravy. I've even been slotting myself in the closest end gate!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Thistledown posted:

I wish I had 3 seconds left to gain. I'm looking at maybe half a second realistically. And it's all a bunch of small, execution heavy improvements. :smith:

Yep. I'd straight up have to change my entire route to shave off much more of my current time.

*EDIT*
I TAKE IT BACK.

I JUST SHAVED NEARLY 2 SECONDS OFF MY TIME.

AND I JUST HAD TO DO THE SAME THING I WAS DOING, BUT BETTER.

HOLY poo poo.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 29, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Yep. I'd straight up have to change my entire route to shave off much more of my current time.

*EDIT*
I TAKE IT BACK.

I JUST SHAVED NEARLY 2 SECONDS OFF MY TIME.

AND I JUST HAD TO DO THE SAME THING I WAS DOING, BUT BETTER.

HOLY poo poo.

Nearly 3 and a half seconds when all was said and done, and I still think it could have been better.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Strong Mouse posted:

I'm the only person in the scrub-tier that took the shortcut near the end?

I managed to nail it in several of my runs, but never with enough consistency to make it something to try for every time, especially if I already had a good run going.

Swear to god Entropist has his acceleration values tweaked up or some poo poo. :argh:

(No, I know he's just that good.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Slowly working my time down. Haven't reached gold time yet. That first section is a bitch and a half, the majority of my restarts happen there. Otherwise I'm loving the new map. So many places where you can jump a wall a nd make a nice shortcut.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Grawl posted:

Race 3 - Your Mom

HD ~ SD ~ YouTube ~ TM-Tube

HD ~ SD ~ YouTube ~ TM-Tube

TFC, your commentary was everything I hoped it would be. :D

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Welp, I guess this is where it ends for me. This new track isn't hard it's just... I dunno.

Gonna put it down for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, i'm totally gonna run that. Should be fun.

• Locked thread