Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

NewMars posted:

Well, that's going from one awful place to another, then, isn't it?

It's not ideal, but it could be worse. Most of the dead lands have neutral modifiers, and it has a few potential special resources that could come in handy down the line. That neutral town looks like trouble, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mzbundifund posted:

Man that stupid neutral city is too close and blocking the ideal settling spot between those two resources.

Not necessarily a problem. I don't know if it was in the original, but in this game if you raze a city it turns into a settler of the same race.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

"Gonkeys" :roflolmao:

So 16 further shards to conquer until we reach Ardania? And what's Ainadra?

I wonder what the other henchmen of the United One will do. Let's just hope that our neighboring Great Mage is more sensible than the constantly backstabbing idiots on Ardania.

You don't have to go through all the shards. Each shard has 1-4 gates to other shards, leading to progressively more difficult shards until you eventually reach Ainadra. Ainadra is the Mirror Plane, Ardania's 'opposite' and the only place with a portal to it.

The AI is pretty bad, but it seems less schizophrenic than in Warlock 1. As long as you aren't actively touching borders the other Great Mages tend to be fairly calm, especially if you manage to get to peace early on.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

So in practice how many cities can a shard support? Or do they vary in size?

They vary in size a bit, but it's not very noticeable except for the largest size which are pretty rare. Number of cities can vary pretty wildly depending on how you define 'support', though. If you want a full three-ring radius for each city, you can fit in three or four depending on terrain and chasms on a small shard, with an additional two or so for each size up. If you just pack in free cities/forts/temple cities, which never expand, you could fit in three times as many. Also, keep in mind there's a maximum number of regular cities you can support (the 4/5 in the top right corner); exceed that number and you start accumulating increasing gold and unhappiness penalties. The max can be raised with the right research, though, and you can also find treasures in monster lairs to further increase it, though they're pretty drat rare.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
8 cities on a five city limit? That's, what, six unrest and 50 gold per turn in upkeep? Might want to switch to the other branch and pick up a few government upgrades.

Torrannor posted:

These numbers in the upper left corner make it impossible to tell how much money you have. I hope you are not too far away from accumulating the gold to pay that stupid witch. I know I suffer from Paradox induced pretty-borders-syndrome, but your LP is giving me pretty-landscape-syndrome as well.

That was a nice overview over the Svart economy. I take it Planestriders are better at generating mana than our Svarts?

The numbers only block the currency symbol. The first number is the current gold reserves, the one in parentheses is gold per turn. At the current rate, he's about 12 turns or so away, assuming he doesn't spend anything or loot any monster lairs.

I don't know how good Planestriders are at mana, but the Svarts aren't great at it; each city can only build one mana trap, and the only repeatable mana building only gives +2 and is at the end of the magic tech tree.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

The worst thing about terrain splotches is that Fertile Ground comes in 7 hex batches, but other useful terrain (well, Icy) comes in one hex. Kind of hard to do landscaping.

And I hate Krell for loving up my mountains.

AND ANOTHER THING: while the game doesn't tell you that, at least as far as I have noticed it, but river fording is great old movement point eating bitch. That's why I'm making the new road.
Dauros has a spell that creates a seven-tile ring of ice, though it takes two turns to cast and a lot of piety. There's also a seven-tile desert spell, and I think it's a regular spell and not Helian. For the mountains, can't you just Raise Land them back up? I only ever used the spell to remove seas, but it should work. And yes, rivers suck, it's like three movement points to cross one.

JcDent posted:

Huh, didn't know they tax your for it. Well, bummer.

Yup. AFAIK, it's five gold for the first, 20 for two, and 50 for three. If you hover the mouse over the unrest bar, it should tell you exactly what it's costing you.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Veloxyll posted:

Volcanos.

Yes, plural.

Some of Mr Ephemeral's terraforming spells are a bit more dramatic than others.

Yeah, Elpirister's the nastiest of the three. Tendral is pretty pathetic unless you somehow don't have fireball, and Empress' mirrors don't spawn enough enemies to be a serious threat. Hostile terraforming is a hell of a lot more problematic; most of it isn't so bad, but he'll randomly contaminate your land, summon volcanoes, or sink half your buildings into he sea. He also hits a massive area across multiple shards every time he strikes, too.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I find their main niche is as a flying city-taker. I tend to go for small armies composed mostly of high-level promoted ranged units, and the rainbow dragon can get up to five movement very early on. They have enough health to survive a few hits, but low damage and armor, so they don't fight very well, but they're great for grabbing a 1-health city.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Most terraforming spells don't work on Dremer land, but there are a few that do. Clean the Land reverts a single tile to plains, while Desertification and Lands of Order convert Dremer land into desert/ice respectively. There might be a few more god spells that work, I don't remember. Unitwise, the best solution is probably to get a few mages and any heroes you have, buff them up via armor/spells, focus fire on the biggest threats, and hope for the best. That said, there probably is a gate somewhere that you missed; aside from starting worlds most shards connect to multiple others, and gates frequently spawn in out-of-the-way locations.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mind of the Ancients :swoon: So good. With all three casting speed increases up, it's possible to get Elemental Resurrection and Meta-Teleport down to under half a turn's casting speed, letting you resurrect and send a unit back into the fight every single turn. Add in a few speed runes, and you can get them down to under a quarter!

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

PotatoManJack posted:

Also, really wish that they had an in game display of what buildings lead to what enhancements / units / other buildings as it's kinda hard to look at the longer term planning of the city without referencing a wiki.

There is. There's a small button in the bottom left corner of the city screen beneath the list of buildings that opens up a menu showing the city's race's tech tree. There's a complete list of what building opens up what, including units, promotions, and upgrades, and near the bottom there's a list of what buildings can be built on each special resource. It doesn't explain exactly what each promotion does, just displays their name, but for everything else it works just fine.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

I stand corrected. That didn't come across in the LP.

I'd imagine it can't be that hard to take out Amberon's Citadel and blockade Ardania while you conquer all the other shards and put together a doomsday army, though?

Well, once Amberon's citadel is down you can't really block Ardania off, since units can still come through the portal even if the exit is blocked. In fact, my first game had Empress and Elpiritster both come through and attack me in Ainadra. That said, yeah it is pretty easy to just build a doom stack and rush it through the portal, but really that's true of any point in this mode; basically the only point where you're at the slightest risk of losing is if you get a belligerent neighbor one shard away from you like Krel that manages to be competent/lucky enough to bottle you in. The AI just isn't that good at maneuvering between shards to be too dangerous most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Good LP and happy I could contribute some names. Also made me grab the free Warlock 1 and am now considering whether to buy the DLC or just get 2 right away.

Warlock 2 has literally everything from the first game + DLC except for the Armageddon campaign and some of the Great Mages. If you really, really want to play Armageddon then buy it, otherwise move on to 2.

• Locked thread