Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

(inhales deeply, admiring new thread smell)

Now that I'm back at my computer here's some more images of last year:

(and the mandatory reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa9ypyjiB98)

(name me another league where a film director gets a massive display for mentioning his club/their greatest player while accepting an Oscar)

And of course, our favorite soap opera, El Triangulo de Amor y Pasión Argentino:

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Posting here to say: BBilan

By the same token: Rubentus

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Robviously posted:

In a similar vein, Germano Mosconi will always be the old man voice I hear when I think of anyone other than my nonni yelling about calcio.

Did someone say "Germano Mosconi"?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBACLpkon6Q

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Have we posted about Osvaldo moving to Inter.

Because Osvaldo is now an Inter player.

I think canepazzo mentioned it when I posted the Icardi pictures, called him a "good role model" for Our Mauro.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Four teams get relegated from B, so there will be the champions of each group + a playoff winner. Im not sure how big the playoffs will be though.

Speaking of playoffs, I must admit that I thought the new Serie B variable-size playoff was a really cool idea (apart from Bari getting screwed by the "higher league position advances" rule) and should be adopted by more leagues.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Sky Italia are reporting that ManUtd have offered €40 million for Cuadrado.

That sound your heard was the wailing and gnashing of teeth from an army base in Germany/a sizable part of Tuscany.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Not a lucky draw for Napoli's UCL playoff, as they got Athletic de Bilbao (out of a pool including Lille, Besiktas, Standard Liège and Juventus favourite team, F.C. København)

Still should be an excellent play-off, looking forward to it.

In the EL, Torino drew FK Split (not the more famous/better Hajduk Split, who are also in this competition) and Inter gets to go to the Icelandic hamlet where LazyTown is filmed (no, really) to play the Cinderella story, conquerers of Bangor City, Motherwell and Lech Poznan, the lowest ranked team remaining in European competition, Stjarnan. Suffice it to say that the world is supporting them.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Soulex posted:

I'll be surprised if Roma don't do well in Europe tbh.

They're in the worst pot draw-wise because they were out of Europe so long their coefficient cratered, so they could easily get put in a killer group and be like Napoli last year--good but not quite good enough.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Soulex posted:

I think they'll do good. Napoli has some depth, but they always play like they don't give a gently caress.

Who is Roma seeded against?

They're guaranteed to be in Pot 4 with all the diddy teams that had to make it through the qualifiers (and Monaco).

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Robviously posted:

In all honesty, Serie A is on such a trajectory that MLS is going to be a better/more respected league in +/- 4 years.

Is there any way to stop the rot? I mean, the Bundesliga was considered crap no more than a decade ago and now it's being heralded as the real best league in the world.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Proper Napolitano pizza is actually the greatest pizza on earth.

yes, yes it is

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Funkysauce posted:

I got stuck in an elevator for 40 minutes in my aunt's building in Rome. What is up with Italian elevators?

It ain't just an Italian thing: when I was at a track and field camp in high school a number of other people got stuck in an elevator for 90 minutes. And this was on a college campus here in the US (mind you, they were housing us in one of the older dorms).

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Somewhat related: here in the US Ray Hudson is doing ads for Dairy Queen where he describes a Blizzard using his normal style.

In response, I'm boycotting Dairy Queen, mostly because there's better/cheaper ice-cream places here but also on principle.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

After today, I must ask: does Genny have to ask himself permission to go to the piazza and do the needful?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

calcio posted:

Welp, sorry Italy. Roma not going to make it out of that group.

This is Manchester City we're talking about, who despite losing Mancini as manager have still managed to not figure out Europe.

Also Juve gon' bottle it against Olympiacos, mark it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

calcio posted:

At least City fans are adept at turning their backs to make stabbing them in their asses easier.

I said this in the draw thread but I wanted to see Roma and Galatasaray in the same group just to guarantee that knife crimes will happen.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Amazingly, we're the only nation in Europe to keep 100% of our teams in the group stage, every other nation lost at least one.

Our coefficient gonna rock and we're gonna have 6 Champions League teams in no time.

See? THIS is the kind of optimism I like to see going into a new season! Forget Napoli making GBS threads the bed in Bilbao, forget Opti Poba not costing Abete the election, forget the whole Team X thing in Serie B (have they actually decided who will be the 22nd squad?), forget all the gutting transfers/transfer rumors, there's football to be played.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Got a source? I know it was between Vicenza and Pisa; I bet Pisa's stadium wasn't up to the task.

If it's true I don't know how I feel about this. The squad is built to play in the Lega Pro, they're going to get obliterated in B. :(

Aw man, I've heard the Pisa-Livorno derby is a good one.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

It kind of is ridiculous, because a few seasons ago, Vicenza were in the same position as them (got relegated, then had the possibility of being pulled back up due to another team dropping), and Vicenza actually got pulled back up. I don't know why Juve Stabia weren't considered, they must've had some financial issues like Novara.

Juve Stabia also finished dead last in B last year, so they might have been first eliminated based on that.

Also a sad sign of the times: two teams playing in Europe this year, Roma and Fiorentina, are going into the first week of play without a main shirt sponsor--and no, it's not by their own volition like with Lazio.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

At this pace we'll be looking soon with envy at the belgian championship :italy:

It's going to be the Russkies first (but then again they cheated by Putin basically divvying up the top teams amongst his oligarchs)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

It really is.

Just to take the attention off of my shithouse team for a second, newly promoted side Perugia defeated newly relegated side Bologna in Serie B's opening match 2-1. The curse of Diamanti continues.

Didn't his Chinese team get bounced from the Asian CL by some Australians, to boot?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I think we can all agree that this is the only good thing Mexes has done while at Milan.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

trem_two posted:

Whoever decided to cast him in that Dairy Queen commercial deserves their own special place in hell.

It's made me boycott Dairy Queen, which is easy to do because I live in the place where Blizzards are done much better (we call them "concretes", make them with frozen custard and I really could go for a raspberry one right now)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Watching the re-air of Milan-Lazio (hey, don't hate, I got back in town from an away trip with the new job at like 12:30 in the morning and that was before I unloaded sticks and had a beer/smoke/chat with an assistant coach) and I gotta say I loved Pippo coming out to celebrate with Muntari after his goal.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

This, the biggest four clubs (Gala, Fener, Besiktas, and to an extent Trabzonspor) have loads of money because they're essentially giant vertically integrated conglomerates with interests outside of football (basketball clubs, a major sportswear chain is owned by Fener, even banks and insurance firms, etc.).

(Plus they've rigged the league in their favor as Fener's ban from Europe would attest to.)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Remember the massive boycott that Lazio supporters had last year, which led to thousands of empty seats at the Olimpico and this banner?

Well, Lazio's main ultras said that they're going to be back, but with the following catch (and being Lazio, it's appropriately wordy and hilarious):

Football-Italia translating the Irriducibili posted:

We won’t subscribe to any season ticket, which would be a testament of faith towards one’s own team. We don’t have a normal club, hence we have decided to behave accordingly.

To the club itself we just ask to do the best possible thing in the name of Lazio’s own good: ignore us.

(The fans have agreed with this sort of protest, apparently: Lazio have sold only 6,500 season tickets this year, which is the lowest in Serie A--even Sassuolo has more subscribers.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

With Allegri at the helm it's all possihahahahahaha

I'm DAI DAI DAIng over here

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

While you're waiting for actual football to start up again, here's some news!

--Roma finally seems to have ironed out all their stadium plans with the city, unions and other stakeholders: ETA on its completion is 2016-17
--Arezzo got promoted to Lega Pro to replace Our Benevolent Leader's second club Vicenza
--Albertini has personally sent letters of apology to every federation president in UEFA to show that he's really, truly sorry for the Opti Poba incident
--La Gazzetta is running a poll of the best club hymn in Serie A (the link to listen/vote/learn a bit of history is here, in Italian yes but you can get the gist of it pretty well): right now Roma, Roma is in the lead, followed by Juve (Storia di un Grande Amore) and C'e Solo Inter.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Well the Milan hymn is terrible, as are all of them really, so I don't mind that. Roma, Roma sounds like Whiter Shade of Pale and I won't hear any different.

So is Albertini apologizing for Tavecchio or did you mean Tavecchio?

Yeah, I meant Tavecchio. It was late and I was easily confused.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

BTW it's 2-2 at the half at that U-21 game. Im gonna look up some highlights when it's over, seems entertaining.

Now it's 3-2 Italy.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

It's final now, 3-2 over the filthy Serbs.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Arturo Vidal hurt his right thigh while on international duty: he's back in Turin undergoing further tests, after which Juve will say if/when he can return to the side.

Not so lucky were Udinese: Simone Scuffet sprained his right ankle while with the Italy U-19 team, and will miss a month of action.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Inter replaced "Amala" with ... this as their theme song.

Ah, going for the rockabilly market, an interesting move Thohir.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Verona-Palermo is about to start up, if you want to see some high-quality regional discrimination.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GET IN PALERMO, this after they had a legit penalty go totally unseen.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

1-1, Verona win a penalty which Toni converts.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

lol

Did Toni celebrate? Big part of his rise to prominence was at Palermo.

Yes he did, even did the hand-twirl-by-his-ear thing.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

hm, no respect for the fans.

What do you expect from a guy that sold his soul to play for Verona?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

LOLuca Toni: while in the clear and with a great look at goal, he went down expecting a penalty (he had a Palermo defender nipping at his heels) and got neither penalty nor rete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

hahaha it's even better than just that, Zamp followed that up with "he's a bit full of himself but he's doing good work for the league and the federation"

seems like we have a not so secret fascist!

Let me guess, this is some sort of ploy to get the Lazio support to actually like Lotito for once?

• Locked thread