Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i dont have a commercial for my dick OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Stoic Commie posted:

drone computers: amd or nvidia?

Honestly, I'd put a premium on anti-aliasing so the tip would probably go towards AMD in this case. Of course this depends on what competing models you're talking about to an extent, and in general - resolution. You have to be able to distinguish the difference between the woman and child or you might have a disaster on your hands

You'd also have to put some focus on brand as AMD doesn't have a program similar to greenlight. Don't want some lovely Sapphire card artifacting and miss the woman entirely

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
so nvidia then

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I'm guessing general dynamics probably makes their own.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Stoic Commie posted:

so nvidia then

wink

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

I'm guessing general dynamics probably makes their own.

er , video cards ? no. cpus and chips im sure they are made to their specification by someone else

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The Droid posted:

Explain all these crazy and dumb VTOL craft in development (not the F-35 that has its own thread)

Not really sure honestly... I haven't heard of many major VTOL aircraft except the F-35B (which is truly garbage and p much killed the program btw, gently caress Marine Air)

Have seen some personal vehicles like the 1950's aerocar craze though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Anyone got news on more autonomous drones? Any ground based ones?

Hunter Killers are just years away I suspect.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

redshirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJOubyiITsE

Be afraid.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

redshirt posted:

BAE systems Black Knight, currently under US military evaluations and a proof-of-concept vehicle. It is capable of autonomous and semi-autonomous operation.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

skip to 2:36 and you'll get the gist

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

The Air Force is currently developing actual laser rifles. The future is NOW.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 31, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

i dont have a commercial for my dick OP
why? is it overpriced, underwhelming, erected by the lowest bidder, and best suited for struggles involving hardware that was already old several generations back?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

a hole-y ghost posted:

why? is it overpriced, underwhelming, erected by the lowest bidder, and best suited for struggles involving hardware that was already old several generations back?

i was going to play along but erected by the lowest bidder was too good to disrespect

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Haha, oh poo poo. This looks like an unmanned version of the "Flying Humvee" they proposed a few years back.

Just what exactly is the purpose of this thing? If you're going to put people and mission critical supplies in it anyway, why have it be an unmanned system? These companies never seem to realize that unmanned systems are useless in heavy combat scenarios because their operators suffer a critical lack of situational awareness.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I love the googly eyes on that tank

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

Crow_Rodeo posted:

Haha, oh poo poo. This looks like an unmanned version of the "Flying Humvee" they proposed a few years back.

Just what exactly is the purpose of this thing? If you're going to put people and mission critical supplies in it anyway, why have it be an unmanned system? These companies never seem to realize that unmanned systems are useless in heavy combat scenarios because their operators suffer a critical lack of situational awareness.

I've always wondered about this...the idea of an unmanned tank is neat in theory, but there really are only so many so many uses for them, and none of those uses are something that can't be accomplished with a traditional piece of artillery.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

shahadien posted:

I've always wondered about this...the idea of an unmanned tank is neat in theory, but there really are only so many so many uses for them, and none of those uses are something that can't be accomplished with a traditional piece of artillery.
the main use is sending it out into the city in peacetime so it gets into some hilarious hijinks and meets a whole crew of quirky characters in this heartwarming adventure fun for the whole family

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I think the idea is that unmanned armored vehicles can be smaller (and maybe more heavily armored) because they save space by not needing a crew.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The Droid posted:

Aw poo poo son, commercials for motherfuckin :pcgaming:railguns:pcgaming:
NNNNGGGGGG i love kinetic energy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd think using swarms of small ground based drones would be the best. Maybe 3 feet long, with a bomb and a gun, marching towards the enemy in the thousands.

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

redshirt posted:

I'd think using swarms of small ground based drones would be the best. Maybe 3 feet long, with a bomb and a gun, marching towards the enemy in the thousands.

It would be, yes, but you have to think about power source. The smaller the drone, the less effective time in the field. I'm sure that as we acquire more powerful low mass energy sources, you'll start seeing more and more of this type of drone.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbqs7vfOIok

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Stoic Commie posted:

drone computers: amd or nvidia?

Nvidia did part of the chipsets for the F22 and that seems like a pretty good plane, nvidia. Besides you know the AMD would just have constant driver issues.

quote:

The F-22 MFD is the first military avionics program to adopt NVIDIA’s recently announced Quadro2 Go™ GPU technology-- the revolutionary new GPU that provides workstation level performance and image quality superior to that available from custom ASICs or other COTS alternatives. In addition, the Quadro2 Go features advanced power management technology, which is ideal for power and heat sensitive applications that also require extreme performance. The NVIDIA-based graphics subsystems will be incorporated into advanced, high-resolution Head-Down Displays (HDDs) that allow the pilot to view high resolution digital moving maps and incoming sensor video with symbology and other overlays, enact weapons guidance, increase situational awareness and perform other mission critical aircraft management functions. Capable of displaying multiple, high-resolution displays at resolutions of 1600 x 1200 or beyond, with 24-bpp color and 8-bpp alpha at 60+ Hz refresh with anisotropic texture filtering and full-scene or high-quality point, line and polygon anti-aliasing— all with minimal power consumption, the Kaiser Electronics MFDs with NVIDIA Quadro2Go mobile GPUs represents the true state of the art* in avionics display technology.
* in 2002

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 31, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shahadien posted:

It would be, yes, but you have to think about power source. The smaller the drone, the less effective time in the field. I'm sure that as we acquire more powerful low mass energy sources, you'll start seeing more and more of this type of drone.

3 feet is pretty big and you can get plenty of batteries in that space.

How about a solar panel top?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

3 feet is pretty big and you can get plenty of batteries in that space.

How about a solar panel top?

Great if you're doing stuff in the daytime in an area with no shade

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Sure why not. Send 1000 drones over a possible minefield towards the enemy front line. Clear a path for vehicles to follow.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

redshirt posted:

Sure why not. Send 1000 drones over a possible minefield towards the enemy front line. Clear a path for vehicles to follow.

Make drones to dig up the mines and carry them towards the enemy.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Robo Reagan posted:

In all fairness, they will probably be used to kill middle eastern browns, so it's not like there isn't a niche.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

are minefields even a thing anymore? i thought you just put a few tons of explosives under a road and called it a day

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

redshirt posted:

There are special anti-minefield explosives nowadays.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah line charges have been around for quite a while.

I got to see an F-22 fly a couple weeks back at the Offut AFB air show. poo poo had me convinced. Thrust vectoring is spooky tech.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Necroing this thread just to crosspost this from TFR

oh and have this, too Iraqi Special Forces showing off with what appears to be their own theme song

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

precision artillery is now about how many centimeters off you were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yNpNZM6fs

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

precision autocannons are about making that irrelevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7WqCbIpbjk

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Droid posted:

Necroing this thread just to crosspost this from TFR

oh and have this, too Iraqi Special Forces showing off with what appears to be their own theme song

new STALKER game is looking sweet

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

im pooping! posted:

i got one of these babies:

shoots .177 @ 1250 fps

A glorified version of a pellet gun?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Is LSAT still a thing? Because I had the biggest boner for the LSAT program. Caseless pew pew pew.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
*posts pic of terrifyingly huge weapons cache stored unsecured in bedroom*

*is confused/gets mad when ppl call him a psycho or act concerned*

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
btw go army hooah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My double handed backfist is the only weapon I need.

• Locked thread