Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

90s Joe Kelly Deadpool is the best Deadpool :colbert:

Ok everyone :siren: IMPORTANT QUESTION :siren: Is the leader of the X-Men:

a) Cyclops
b) Iron Man
c) Your Butt

Howard the Duck!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Confirming that the X-men are pretty rad!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Are you hairy blue beast, pink skin beast, or pink skin beast that hulks out to blue?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I've always been vanilla town, so no scum tell yet.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I like Byers case a lot. It makes sense, uses past information, and fits in well with how Meinberg would act as scum. (I assume, I don't think I've ever played with Meinberg but I drink a lot so who knows.)

What are everybody else's thoughts?

Right now, I would vote Meinberg.

I really like it too. It is the only thing on the table I can find myself voting for at the moment. I have no qualms about doing so.

##vote Meinberg

Tremendous Taste posted:

That was some really nice digging but I don't think it really makes a worthy case tbh

I may be easily impressed, but for day 1 I'm super stoked to see that kind of effort. It certainly is the best case on the table currently, 1 out of 1. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Um there is also my "TT I have a vendetta against you" case.

But you told us you were settling that one yourself by shooting him, no?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

welp, I read my role PM.

Are you sad now?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm genuinely concerned I might come back as Dark Phoenix if I'm killed. :ohdear:

I thought this was funny, not sure why everyone is jumping on you for it.

You've claimed Jean Grey, it would be hilarious if Rarity actually put something like that into the game.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Confirming that I have the dumbest hero name ever

This I disagree with however.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Dr. Hurt posted:

Her content. I feel like the "dark Phoenix" quote wasn't really a scummy thing, more of a joke and another way to reveal her role. I think people already got it in their mind that she was a bad guy, and used that post immediately to confirm their suspicions for them. The way both you and Pinterest responded was so hyperbolically over-the-top I feel like her post seems normal in comparison.

This is where I'm still at with this. I just don't get it. The mushroom doesn't seem scummy to me at all.

The Science of Suck posted:

Is anyone besides me interested in lynching keane or pinterest?

I'm not seeing Keane. I'd consider swapping to PinMom, I agree with your read so far. I'm also still happy with the Byers case on Meinberg.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

if you want later on I can map out the game theory behind it

Please do this.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Meinberg posted:

Okay, Science of Suck looks pretty bad. Also, he's a pretty big jerk.

##vote Science of Suck

I don't think this vote counted. So technically it might have already happened.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

Dude looked 100% lock for scum in a meltdown and didn't even claim at -2. I thought it was a winner.

I wasn't interested in him as scum, but I'll admit by the time of the flip I was convinced since he didn't fight very hard or claim.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm still super happy with Byers effort case from yesterday, so I'm totally down with Meinberg. But I'm going to wait till he at least has a moment to talk to us before I join since he is at -2.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bowmore posted:

What's the fun in that? SK's don't have team mates they can dob in by accident

I just always prefer more info to less. :)

And there is always the chance he'll be able to prove he isn't what you say he is. I don't think that is likely. He was already at the top of my list, but it isn't like it hurts anything. We've still got more than 2 days and I like to actually have posts in the thread to research when I am hunting for scum.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

rofl.

##vote meinberg

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Man, so many dead. We need to turn this ship around. Bowmore, you are bumming me out a little man. I can't deny that I agreed with you, but you made it seem so certain.

Byers2142 posted:

##vote merk

merk's scum. I don't like his vote on Taste yesterday, he's playing this game safe with his casing. Mushroom, SoS, and Taste are his votes, all for cases pushed by other people or for singular posts that he calls scummy in vacuum. He's not looking for context or thinking about the game as a whole, he's just looking for cases to appear like he's scumhunting.

Yeah, after spending the whole start of the game pretending he was beast to generate content while he supposedly did not read his role PM. (This part may be true, he felt town to me before he announced he read his role PM, he's felt scum to me since)

He hounded the heck out of Poison Mushroom for what never seemed to me to be scummy behavior, pretended not to get her dark phoenix post, etc. Tries to school Taste on the proper way to play Mafia when he defends Mushroom's posting. Jumped on Science of Suck for asking someone a leading question that actually made sense. The only point I'll give him since he announced he read his role PM is that suck did indeed look scummy once he got to -1 and didn't claim/put up a fight. I can quote all the posts involved if someone needs me to, but trying to keep this succinct.

I'm totally on this one. Merk is scum.

##vote merk

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

I got the Dark Phoenix post. Where did you read confusion in what I was posting on that?

I did not try to 'school Taste.' Where is that?

I jumped on Science for more than that. His vote on Keane was awful, and he couldn't even explain it when I asked him point blank.

This was your response to the Dark Phoenix post:

This is you schooling taste, both of these are responses to his posts:

merk posted:

Role claims on day 1 very rarely move me: 1) Scum Doctor is a thing; 2) if it's a fakeclaim, I hope a Town Doctor doesn't/wouldn't claim anyway; 3) Scum were probably provided with fakeclaims so the lack of a Jean Grey counterclaim is not worth mentioning.

Why are you moved when you ripped him for softclaiming so much earlier?

merk posted:

As a general mafia matter, never counterclaim on day 1. That's the whole point of scum fakeclaiming, to get information out of the town before they go down.

Stopping here for a moment since you are still posting when I'm trying to research. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

I looked back. My 'what' post was in reaction to the softclaim, not any confusion over X-Men. I knew exactly what he was doing (softclaiming) and was reacting to it being scummy.

Really? It seems odd for you to post "what" to that post in light of the other posts Mushroom made way before that:

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm Jean Grey.

##vote mr.capps

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm both. The PM says I'm "Jean Grey, MARVEL GIRL". If you're so town, what's the town alignment called? :smugbert:

Your reaction looks manufactured to me. You were trying to get the Mushroom vote based on nothing worthwhile. And then you double down on it hard:

merk posted:

Yeah, I'm going to be voting Mushroom today. That latest post is the 'can't go back' point for me. Let's make this lynch happen.

That looks awful to me no matter how many times I reread that sequence of events.

And now, you are trying to trump up charges on Dr. Hurt based in part on him calling you out on this same sequence started by the "joke" post/soft claim. This to me makes you look even more scummy given how much I agreed with Hurt's post.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Also, check out this flailing...

merk posted:

I think bowmore needs to full claim after whatever happened yesterday.

This comes early today, immediately after Byers makes a case and vote on him.

Then, in response to PM's question about insta-lynching Bowmore, only 11 minutes later, but after he decided to make a real case on Hurt:

merk posted:

The only way I think he's scum is if he's legitimately a Scum Tracker who followed Meinberg to Opopanax on n1, but it looks like Meinberg didn't have a targeting role. Any gambit involving faking a night action result as Scum doesn't make any sense this early in the game to me.

So, you want bowmore to full claim even though you don't think it is likely he is scum. Yup. Look over there! Oh poo poo, look over there! Now here!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

Yes, I want bowmore to full claim but feel like it is unlikely he is scum except in one instance. I'm not calling bowmore scum by asking him to full claim - I'm asking for information because apparently whatever he used yesterday to tell us Meinberg was the SK was incorrect.

Are you going to actually analyze content or just jam everything I say into your 'merk is scum' theory?

I've analyzed everything. Nice try deflecting my research? Unless something new comes up to look at, my work here is done. :)

merk posted:

Hi guys

Good Morning, Merk!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Yes let's turbo merk it worked so well when we went and turboed Meinberg.

I'd like to hear from bownore.

Take your time, this isn't a turbo. You either think Byers and I are right, or you don't.

Let's let this one go until the end so we can have lot's of discussion.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Man you're totally scum aren't you?

Nope. You think I'm scum for wanting us to really hash this out this time rather than making the same mistake we did last time?

I also noticed you called what was happening a Turbo, even though it is nothing like a turbo at all. Honestly, your behavior is reading scummy to me for the first time this game, but I was holding off mentioning it since we already have so much on the table to talk about(Bowmore, Merk, Hurt).

Care to explain yourself?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

KB, why are you so verbose suddenly? You haven't really been involved in the game up until now, and you're jumping on my merk case and riding it, hard.

I'm always verbose. If I wasn't towards the beginning of a game it might have been for meta reasons(I honestly thought I was active, but looking back I can see what you are saying, I was posting but I wasn't saying a lot).

I had a couple of explosions in two other Mafia games I was in, so I was a bit divided. Both things have passed and I'm back down to two games now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

and you're jumping on my merk case and riding it, hard.

Also, unlike how much I liked your meinberg case and rode THAT, this one I had already decided on my own, you just beat me to posting. And I personally like my own version of the case just fine and I feel like I added a ton to the conversation.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

What do you think about Met?

I think he's insane? I guess? Seems super scummy. Is there some kind of scum role that let's him somehow suicide bomb us if we lynch him? Because he seems to be trying really hard to make that happen.

At the moment I would also be totally fine voting him at the end of the day.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

Yeah, it's called a bomb. He'd kill the last person voting him.

So if he had this bomb role, wouldn't it make more sense for him to wait till later in the game and catch us when we are down more town?

Like, I don't get why he'd be doing it now, but that would certainly explain what he's been up to with the self vote, sk claim, etc.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

So if he had this bomb role, wouldn't it make more sense for him to wait till later in the game and catch us when we are down more town?

Like, I don't get why he'd be doing it now, but that would certainly explain what he's been up to with the self vote, sk claim, etc.

Ok, actually, I have a thought. Like, this still wouldn't exactly explain why he was trying earlier, but it would explain the drive by vote and "come at me bro" style poo poo he did just now. Maybe he is scum buddies with Merk and is trying to draw attention away from him using his already established craziness and potential scum cred? Like busses Merk, we vote him and blow up, and it distances him from Merk and Merk from him?

I'll admit, this may be a stretch.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Pinterest Mom posted:

But we'd have to kill him at some point anyway, unless we trust the SK to do it for us?

I seem to be under suspicion for scuminess so I'll volunteer to hammer if we choose to go that route.

I appreciate this PM, I'd like to take you up on it if we go that way.

Right now I'm fine with lynching Merk or Met at day's end.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

If he turns out to be town after we lynch him, he will have been the worst town I ever worked with. And in my 2 completed games so far, I've already worked with some really lovely town.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

I'm not going to be around very much over the next few days. I'm leaving on a work trip tonight and will have only phone-based play tomorrow at best. Since I seem to be getting some heat (and would like people to consider my Hurt case), I'm going to claim: I killed Opopanax.

I am Shiro Yoshida, SUNFIRE, Vigilante. I am not going to claim whether I have more than one shot. I will claim that I did not kill anyone last night but will not claim whether that is because: a) I decided not to; b) I only have one shot; c) I was stopped in some way.

I killed Opopanax because of gut after a reread during the night. I thought he was actively content lurking. I also thought his SOS vote sounded over the top. I considered killing Mushroom but thought Opo jumped off the page when I did my reread.

Although I dislike self-provided meta defenses, this is a winning one that I want to share. If you're stomping your fists that I didn't kill the guy I voted most of the day, it's part of my new mafia strategy and, so far, has a 100% success rate. I just did this in Lego Mafia with my n1 Cop investigation. My strategy is to try to forget everything I've read in the game on day 1 and go through it again with as open of a mind as possible in light of whatever flips happened. I've found that if I am unsuccessful in getting the person I want lynched on day 1 that I'm more often than not incorrect. Thus, I am now going back and trying this 'fresh view' approach on transitions from day 1 into day 2.

For those of you who like metaing me, this strategy started from my incorrect read on Juanito in True Detective on day 1. At the end of the day, I tried to forget every conclusion I made during the day and come back with a fresh look in light of the d1 lynch. That fresh look brought me to a correct case on Scum Grandicap in twilight.

Hrmmmmph. What do people with more experience than me think of this? Could this be a fake claim? It seems really impressive, if so. Like I like how he tied it to truthful meta at the end there. So good work if fake.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bowmore posted:

If you only had the one kill why wasn't there 3 kills night 1? It's been a consistent 2 every night even though you said you didn't kill last night

This is a fantastic point, thank you Bowmore. Merk had me doubting myself for a moment there and almost had me thinking I was somehow wrong about him, I'm really gullible when it comes to claims.

I'm standing by my read/case. Merk is scum. His cases have been poo poo. Merk is a really good player. I'm normally really on board when I read his posts and he is trying. That isn't the case here.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Pinterest Mom posted:

okay can we lynch bowmore now ##vote bowmore

I don't think he is an imminent threat to town now that we know not to listen to his voting choices. I'm not saying voting him is bad, who knows, maybe it was a super brazen scum play. But if he is scum, he'd know it would come back on him when meinberg flipped town and his excuse didn't seem to even have much thought behind it. I'd think he would have prepared. I'm leaning dumb town.

I think the other two are much better targets.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I slept on it and I'm still feeling most confident about my read/case on Merk, so that is where I'll sit till nearer the end of the day. I'm also feeling pretty good about Byers as town given his independently coming to the same decision and I agree with most of his calls so far.

Less sure about the others. Given Merk is one of the champions on it, I'm a little worried about the Pinterest Mom case, but I suppose it could be bussing. I do think Pin has acted scummy. Met is a crazy person and probably scum or SK or something, so I'm still down for that near the end of the day. Bowmore still seems like dumb town, unless I get crazy wifomy, I can't see a scum reason for him to act like that.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

Your entire read of the game is based on me being Scum, which is wrong. You must treat every case you make independent of flips you do not know.

Thanks, Scum Daddy? I mean, Mafia Daddy?

In all seriousness, your point is a fair one.

Farbror posted:

I'm getting serious tunnel vision on merk and Byers and it's messing up my read through. I can't stop thinking at least one is scum. But it could be that they're just active players and I've noticed them more.

Of course, because one IS scum. Merk. :)

Pinterest Mom posted:

What do you think of TT? He's acting super ditzy and it seems to me he's better than that

I don't know how he plays normally, but in the last game I was in with TT he thunderdomed a town and then did nothing for the rest of the game out of guilt. He was town. In terms of this game, he is doing a bit more, so yay? But he is also playing a game of Awful Survivor right now, and it's been pretty drama filled. I just did a reread on TT and he seems town. One thing I'd like to see though:

Tremendous Taste posted:

I might even make a case :sun:
Let's see that case TT.

Also, while going back through his posts I saw this:

Tremendous Taste posted:

Er, you doubling down on PM, the claimed doc

TT was asking Merk to explain himself on the mushroom thing. Merk didn't understand the question, so Taste clarified with the above. Merk still hasn't answered him.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is Met a jester. Has nobody suggested that yet.

I just looked it up. That sounds like a horrible role. Like, even with some of the modifiers, that is one of the easiest win conditions ever.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Deadline in about 9 hours.

Would be nice if those without a real opinion would come back and weigh in.

Would especially be nice if the following actually committed to something:

Not Voting (3): CCKeane, CommaToes, Dr. Hurt

Also, not just voting, but I started to make a call out list of people who haven't posted in real life days, but the list was really long so I stopped. :(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm willing to hop on Met if we don't have end up with the numbers for Merk. I'll be around until deadline, so I can swap any time.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Based on just today's posts, we currently have 6 votes available for both Merk and Met. So we can be at -1 on either relatively quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Okay, gently caress it, full claim time from me:

I'm a vig. I can shoot somebody during the day.

I was lying when I said I wasn't a vig, because I am roguish and cunning.

Merk's claim rubs me the wrong way. I was going to ignore him because I suspect he's SK and his normal move as a 3p is to scum hunt aggressively. Opop's death does back up merk's bit, but I don't like that there's another death and whatnot.

We have a flipped BP and a flipped doc. We might be able to assume that there are more killing roles, but holy moley if merk is telling the truth, we have two vigs, mafia, and SK all running around and murdering everybody left and right. I'm more inclined to think merk is an SK atm.

Yes, I'll fire my load today DON'T YOU WORRY.

Well, this is getting exciting.

For what it's worth, if you feel that way about Merk, even without shooting, we are at 7 votes for him, he can be lynched. If you ALSO feel that way about Met, and if we were honestly worried he was lynch proof or a jester or something, you could shoot him. I am not advocating for what course to take here, I just wanted to make sure I put all of my thoughts out there.

Merk is still my number one target.

• Locked thread