Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Moloch! Moloch! Robot apartments! invisible suburbs! skeleton treasuries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Am I seriously the first person to say HOLODECK?!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

true, but this is not the thread for discussing the present situation of the working class?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
a huge asteroid to slam right into the earth (or bonus points if it hits the moon and slams that into the earth) and bring about humanity's long overdue extinction

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Nanomachines that interface with my eyeball or nerd glasses that show me every single detail about my body, so I can micromanage myself like some kind of video game. "BLOOD SUGAR 1% LOWER THAN AVERAGE? TIME FOR DONUTS!"

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
star citizen

E: the game itself i mean

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Slightly bigger hard drives

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
daft punk helmet as real head

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

star citizen

E: the game itself i mean

please be realistic

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Those glasses from Deus Ex that highlight things you can pick up and throw at people

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
cloning to create a new underclass. so all non clones can live a life of luxury.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lonesomedwarf posted:

scientific proof of what really happens to your consciousness after you die

unless it's nothing then i want to be immortal, like real immortal no constant degeneration of body tissue or eventually disintergrating into seperate molecules that can still somehow feel constant pain

as far as we know right now everything that makes you who you are starts to fizzle away about five minutes after death. even the white light at the end of the tunnel and out of body experiences have been constructed via electric impulses

also glhf during proton decay in 8.2×10^33 years

Memory loss and neurological disorders like depression and bi-polar disorder are a pretty good example of your consciousness not being much else than some chemical and electrical reactions. take a few pills and you go from a sadsack to happy and cheerful. look forward to nothing but eternal blackness and unknowingness!

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 31, 2014

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
weed farming in space

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
school that works. talking dogs? biopunk< just go to the doctor and have them make you grow 2 new hands over night?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

has anyone said pokemon yet? pokemon

I want magical animals who will gladly fight to the point of exhaustion for me and are also ok with eugenics

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 637 days!
Weaponized Ebola.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honey, I Shrunk Your Posts!

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
mind prison, make some live there sentence out in 5 mins and have it feel like 100 so we don't waste tax dolars on locking people up.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

dontcareaboutname posted:

cloning to create a new underclass. so all non clones can live a life of luxury.

You would have to pair this with a huge human die off first for it to work well.

mind prison, make some live there sentence out in 5 mins and have it feel like 100 so we don't waste tax dolars on locking people up.

Teach them how to knit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mahler posted:

Iain Bank's "The Culture".

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

you could do that with some really poo poo drugs but the side effect to that is your newly released prisoners will now be addicted to drugs

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

jarvis cocker posted:

i'd really like it if i could get tattoos of animated gifs

gently caress u fgt webm is the future

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Weaponized Ebola.

the future is now!

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
ghetto blaster shoulder implant

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

What this guy said.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

basically all of rick and morty

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Hover chairs for the morbidly obese.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

BARCLAY!.Gif

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grei Skuring posted:

Psychohistory :allears:

the correct answer

edit: also capsules and scouters from dragonball

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 31, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die. 

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse. 

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods. 

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

eugenics

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Mahler posted:

Iain Bank's "The Culture".

Except for the part where they decide to not contact earth. All the rest though.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i like the idea of saying gently caress words a lot more in the future. Maybe a robot that can cook and swears a lot.

aerosolized waffle batter that is plastic explosive when not cooked

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I would want the singularity to come true.

runupon cracker posted:

None. A lot of today's tech is yesterday's science fiction, our productivity has skyrocketed as a result, and we're still killing ourselves working ridiculous hours in a capitalist society. Even if I could, say, teleport instantly from my house to work, that would mean everybody else could, too, and we'd be forced to work longer hours to compete. Honestly, I'd rather have the relative peace and quiet of the 20-minute commute from my house in a rural community.

Sci-fi and fantasy worlds may sound cool and exciting, until you realize that, regardless of what reality we live in, we'd still have the same drat problems, just in a slightly different configuration. "Hey, we're flying through space at 5 times the speed of light! Oh poo poo, I'm late for my meeting with upper management, hope I don't get fired and ejected into the nearest star while they replace me with a harder-working clone."

edit: yes, I am great fun at parties, why do you ask?

What ever, Tracer Tong.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I would want the singularity to come true.

What ever, Tracer Tong.

i was gonna say this but its kinda cheating cause the singularity is just 'All Sci-Fi Things Come True'

Real Talk though, solar arrays in space that beam power back to earth would be really good + actually possible

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

i was gonna say this but its kinda cheating cause the singularity is just 'All Sci-Fi Things Come True'

Real Talk though, solar arrays in space that beam power back to earth would be really good + actually possible

No one said "no wishing for infinite wishes".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is a cool idea.

Question: Is the returning energy beam hot? If a bald eagle flew through it, what would happen?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Kitchner posted:

Replicators, because being able to make food, water and pretty much any gizmo you want out of thin air pretty much solves every single problem on this planet.

rofl if you tihnk assholes wouldn't be cloggin up the replicators making guns to shoot and kill each other and take each other's replicators instead of making food

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

runupon cracker posted:

None. A lot of today's tech is yesterday's science fiction, our productivity has skyrocketed as a result, and we're still killing ourselves working ridiculous hours in a capitalist society. Even if I could, say, teleport instantly from my house to work, that would mean everybody else could, too, and we'd be forced to work longer hours to compete. Honestly, I'd rather have the relative peace and quiet of the 20-minute commute from my house in a rural community.

Sci-fi and fantasy worlds may sound cool and exciting, until you realize that, regardless of what reality we live in, we'd still have the same drat problems, just in a slightly different configuration. "Hey, we're flying through space at 5 times the speed of light! Oh poo poo, I'm late for my meeting with upper management, hope I don't get fired and ejected into the nearest star while they replace me with a harder-working clone."

edit: yes, I am great fun at parties, why do you ask?

The drat loving printing press took away all the good scribe jobs!

GUTTENBURG :argh:

• Locked thread