Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winegums
Dec 21, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

I don't really know who Warsi is or what she's done. Can the thread give me a summary in 15 words and an emoticon?

I'll try

Token Tory woman and Asian, bad at job, quit cabinet due to government's pro-Israel stance.

:goonsay:

winegums fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Oh dear me posted:

Unfortunately this also requires you to die in certain ways. My mother wanted to do it, but cancer in the bones makes you an undesirable corpse, it seems.

There's a book called 'Stiff' that covers what happens if you donate your body to science. A lot don't make the cut, but some get fun jobs like being allowed to decay for use in forensics or being involved in car crashes or weapons testing.

I personally want to be shot out of a cannon. And not after being cremated like that one poser - my entire body.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

He said that the £2k included the deposit. Maybe £800/mo rent for the first month and then 1.5 months' rent as deposit on top of that?

Yeah I was rounding up for convenience sake, the rent is 974 a month and the deposit is 858. So I guess my half of the monthly rent is 487, including bills.

We could probably get something for less, but it's a nice house in the East End (lovely neighbourhood but close to the city) with a garden and nice housemates, and a private landlord. So I think we're doing okay. I just have to avoid thinking about what we could afford back in Melbourne for the same price, otherwise my mind goes to dark places.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Serotonin posted:

London is fun if you are a tourist or rich. If I wanted to live in a theme park however I would chose Legoland.

It's probably cheaper to build a house out of Lego than to buy one in London.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Most of my mates moved to London after uni and were insufferably full of how amazing it is. All bar one of them no longer lives in London once they got families/partners/sick of house shares. The one who stayed is that sad 40 yr old that constantly pops up on my Facebook feed in photos in nightclubs hover handing uncomfortable looking women 20 yrs younger than him. Dont be that man kids.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Aliginge posted:

just walking around London you feel like you're holding everyone else up from the place everyone needs to be at immediately. London people need to slow down a little.

I am now back in Dundee and loving the Nandos 30 seconds from my door, my job which is ten minutes stress free* walk away and the fact that you can walk through a reasonably crowded place without everyone being arms and elbows barging past you. I'm no fan of the countryside but I thought I liked big cities until I went to london.

*mind the seagulls.

Funny you mention that. I grew up in the suburbs in Australia and always had this concept of big cities being whoosh-fast places where some country bumpkin like me would step out onto the footpath and get bowled over. I had the idea that everyone, all the time, was in a massive hurry.

Then I went to New York last month, and now I'm in London, and imo both cities are swarming with agonisingly slow dawdlers. I think it's because on a crowded street everyone ends up stuck behind the slowest person. Even when I'm not on my way to work I'm internally yelling at people who are sauntering along a tube corridor as though they're enjoying a Sunday stroll instead of being stuck in a suffocating furnace fifty feet below ground.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

quote:

@BBCJLandale: Boris Johnson has declared he will stand as an MP at the next election
https://twitter.com/bbcjlandale/status/496946059252617217

quote:

@BBCJLandale: Boris says it might go wrong but promises to serve out his term of office as mayor
https://twitter.com/bbcjlandale/status/496946505916645376

:unsmigghh:

Judoon Platoon fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 6, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I initially read that as "PM"

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Oh man this is gonna be fun watching him be anti-EU to pander to tory voters but pro-EU to pander to London businesses, considering even people who identify as conservatives in London think leaving the EU is a terrible idea.

(source: lovely poll on London Live this morning)

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I'm not convinced the ledge is going to do as well as he thinks he is, especially once the Farage bubble pops and people realise that "characters" aren't the sort of people you want in positions of power.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Serotonin posted:

London is fun if you are a tourist or rich. If I wanted to live in a theme park however I would chose Legoland.
you want to live in Windsor of all places? posh as all hell.

luckily Legoland is only a short trip by train from London so you can visit easy enough

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I don't know about that, as I've said previously I live in the seat he's probably going to run in (Uxbridge and South Ruislip) and the general response around he is "but he's so funny!" "What a legend!" "Yes, but Have I Got News For You!" "That zip-wire at the Olympics!" "That joke on Outnumbered!" etc, etc, etc

So yeah, people in general don't care about all the closed fire stations and hospitals, his shameless piggy-backing on other people's ideas, the hundreds of millions of pounds of taxpayer money spunked on laughable vanity projects or the fact that Johnson is a typical heartless Tory, floppy hair legerrrrrrnd lmao!!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

London rules. It's racially inclusive, gay friendly, has the best culture in the country and a (publically owned) public transport system second to none. Also there's tonnes of free stuff to do (sign up for previews of films and plays, go to museums, galleries etc) - if you're up on gallery openings you can even eat and drink for free.

Sure the rent sucks but it's worth it to live here. Better to burn out in London than moulder in some dead end hamlet.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What happened with BoJo volunteering to get shot by a water cannon?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Mr. Flunchy posted:

London rules. It's racially inclusive, gay friendly, has the best culture in the country and a (publically owned) public transport system second to none. Also there's tonnes of free stuff to do (sign up for previews of films and plays, go to museums, galleries etc) - if you're up on gallery openings you can even eat and drink for free.

Sure the rent sucks but it's worth it to live here. Better to burn out in London than moulder in some dead end hamlet.
Wow, who knew London was the only city in the UK??? Well, apart from Londoners

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm glad you're dead too, Maggie. :colbert:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

vaguely posted:

Wow, who knew London was the only city in the UK??? Well, apart from Londoners

I've lived in Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham and next to London they all suck.

... actually Manchester is alright I guess.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
e:f,b

You guys do know that there are other cities right?

"Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol = the sticks"
:goonsay:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

winegums posted:

I'm not convinced the ledge is going to do as well as he thinks he is, especially once the Farage bubble pops and people realise that "characters" aren't the sort of people you want in positions of power.

If people haven't realised that after already electing Boris as an MP once and mayor twice, there's not much chance of Farage changing their minds.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

I don't really know who Warsi is or what she's done. Can the thread give me a summary in 15 words and an emoticon?

the tories' token brown, muslim and woman, rolled into one minister of faith and communities (used to be the tory chair). diddled her expenses, opposed gay marriage, thick as two short planks and a terrible speaker. see also: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/feb/13/militant-secularisation-christianity-lady-warsi

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I edited out from my post the accusation that Londoners tend to think nowhere else in the UK is worth a drat but I think that was premature of me.

Manchester is pretty good but then I grew up there, Leamington Spa was a bit posh for my liking but I am really liking Edinburgh since my move up north a year back, want to check out Brighton at some point but it's loving miles away.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 6, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Aliginge posted:

want to check out Brighton at some point but it's loving miles away.

it'd only be an hour on the train if you lived in London :toot:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Aliginge posted:

I edited out from my post the accusation that Londoners tend to think nowhere else in the UK is worth a drat but I think that was premature of me.

Manchester is pretty good but then I grew up there, Leamington Spa was a bit posh for my liking but I am really liking Edinburgh since my move up north a year back, want to check out Brighton at some point but it's loving miles away.
Brighton is pretty cool, especially all the stuff around Trafaglar Street. I toyed with the idea of living there a few years ago because it's an hour from London on the train so I could commute in to work

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You can't just say something is an "hour from london" because once you get to london it could take up to an hour more just to get to your place of residence or work

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Adrianics posted:

Johnson is a typical heartless Tory, floppy hair legerrrrrrnd lmao!!

My fondest worst memory of Boris Johnson was watching the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics on a small screen in communal eating area somewhere in Japan surrounded by Chinese students.

Realising that the Mayor of Beijing was on the screen I got the concerned feeling at the base of my spine that Boris Johnson was about to appear somewhere looking like a right tit. I was hoping I would be wrong. Then, he appeared and I suddenly felt very self conscious about that fact I was British and this was the man chosen to represent us.

To this day I hope the Chinese people I was sat with didn't notice his suit was deshoveled or the fact he only waved the flag when someone pointed out to him he probably should. (Of course I am certain they saw, who wouldn't. Also, what the gently caress was up with that bloody bus.)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've lived in Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham and next to London they all suck.

... actually Manchester is alright I guess.

Some cities are garbage, some are not. London is still not the only city to live in if you like doing all those things you mentioned.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

mfcrocker posted:

Some cities are garbage, some are not. London is still not the only city to live in if you like doing all those things you mentioned.

Well I suppose there's the extremely remote prospect of moving somewhere like New York, Paris or Tokyo...

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Well you could commute, Paris is only two hours away on the train from London :getin:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Well you could commute, Paris is only two hours away on the train from London :getin:

shame about the pointless waste of time & money of the passport checks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

UKMT August 14 - Maybe it's 'cause I'm not a total oval office, that I hate London so

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

But if we don't spend money on hiring people to check the validity of EU passports then we'd have be able to police our borders properly and that will not stand when there might be foreigns trying to get in :britain:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Better to burn out in London than moulder in some dead end hamlet.
I like my dead end hamlet thank you very much. Also mouldering is all I can afford. :colbert:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Come and live in Belfast.
It's great. :shobon:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well I suppose there's the extremely remote prospect of moving somewhere like New York, Paris or Tokyo...

There's a bunch of British cities with good culture, don't be a dickhead.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

There's a bunch of British cities with good culture, don't be a dickhead.

Yes, there are lots filled with the best kind of mold to be found anywhere.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think you'll find that Glasgow is da best and all others are da rest.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Newcastle is decent and my mortgage is so tiny that I can afford to visit London pretty much whenever I want. Plus I have Northumberland and by extension Scotland right on my doorstep.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
No love for Aberdeen? If it helps it's basically the London of Scotland.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Party Boat posted:

Newcastle is decent and my mortgage is so tiny that I can afford to visit London pretty much whenever I want. Plus I have Northumberland and by extension Scotland right on my doorstep.

Yeah but you're hours away from a performance of The Lion King Musical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

KKKlean Energy posted:

You can't just say something is an "hour from london" because once you get to london it could take up to an hour more just to get to your place of residence or work

brighton train'll drop you at croydon, clapham, victoria, london bridge or blackfriars.
you're probably not got another hour travel to be honest.

• Locked thread