Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
And Woody Allen, it turns out. If someone does some good art they're excused a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

HortonNash posted:

Saw "Kings of Rock and Roll - '50s last night on BBC Four, and was struck with the paedosplaining that was done when it came to Jerry Lee Lewis. Fucker marries his 13 year old cousin and there's Tom Jones and Cliff Richards, amongst others, making out that it was no big deal. Tom Jones even made a point of saying "he married her before he had sex with her, that was his Christian beliefs" (or something very close to it).

I know that it was first broadcast in 2008 long before Savile, but gently caress me, in retrospect did people just go "yeah, he fucks kids, but I love his..../he's really talented"?

Pretty amazing if they were trying to make out it was no big deal - at the time the controversy ended his '58 British tour and saw him blacklisted from US radio. His career virtually ended until the mid-to-late-60s. Makes you wonder if their faulty memories are trying to make stuff we don't know about seem more acceptable doesn't it?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Pretty amazing if they were trying to make out it was no big deal - at the time the controversy ended his '58 British tour and saw him blacklisted from US radio. His career virtually ended until the mid-to-late-60s. Makes you wonder if their faulty memories are trying to make stuff we don't know about seem more acceptable doesn't it?

The programme mentioned his blacklisting and the reaction of British audiences (heckling and booing), TV and radio interview /performance cancellations and the condemnation in the British Press (bit weird that it didn't happen in the US until after the reaction from the British Media). Tom Jones and Cliff Richards (who are the two that I recall, but there were other "celebs", as the programme was in the talking heads/love 1983 format) were downplaying the actual kidfucking, Cliff said something like "I don't care what someone gets up to in the bedroom". It was remarkable, and more remarkable that the BBC broadcast it again now, with what we know about sexual abuse in the entertainment business.

Lewis' widow (the then 13 yo cousin) was also joining in with the 'splaining, but the way she described the relationship, it sounded like classic grooming.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

Cliff said something like "I don't care what someone gets up to in the bedroom".

There's probably a very good (and entirely non-suspicious) reason why Cliff might have that opinion. (and given his age and beliefs it might even explain why he might believe his situation and Jerry Lee's are analogous).

HortonNash posted:

Lewis' widow (the then 13 yo cousin) was also joining in with the 'splaining, but the way she described the relationship, it sounded like classic grooming.

The Killer's not dead. Satan doesn't want the competition.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Killer's not dead. Satan doesn't want the competition.

Holy poo poo, the way they were talking about him I thought he was dead. D'oh!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pork Pie Hat posted:

A: Short answer, no. Not unless it mutates into an airborne virus.

Q: Is that sort of thing at all likely to happen?

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Q: Is that sort of thing at all likely to happen?

Ebola virus is already suspected to be airborne. It doesn't really change anything though, as clinicians already take precautions around it as though it were definitely airborne.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Exactly. Whether Ebola becomes airborne or not isn't really the issue - the virus doesn't have the potential to become a pandemic since it can be controlled using basic medical protocol if the infrastructure is in place. The reason this outbreak is so widespread is because it's occurring in regions in West Africa where it typically doesn't, so knowledge of these measures isn't well known by officials there since they don't have previous experience dealing with it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fluo thank you for the neat space post it was cool :)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Fluo thank you for the neat space post it was cool :)

No Problem! :)

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

baronvonsabre posted:

Exactly. Whether Ebola becomes airborne or not isn't really the issue - the virus doesn't have the potential to become a pandemic since it can be controlled using basic medical protocol if the infrastructure is in place. The reason this outbreak is so widespread is because it's occurring in regions in West Africa where it typically doesn't, so knowledge of these measures isn't well known by officials there since they don't have previous experience dealing with it.

If this strain did go airborne it would become a pandemic despite that, due to the slightly absurd incubation period for this strain of 3 weeks. Also combine that with that this strain usually doesn't kill for many days, even weeks and all the time the patient is infectious, with the first few days of symptoms being similar to a cold it really would be almost unstoppable if it did go airborne. The majority of the developed world would have infected patients before we would even have proof it had gone airborne.

There are a lot of people on the conspiracy sites saying this Ebola strain has to have been man made due to the long incubation period and length of time it keeps the host alive, as it really is a perfect storm; but its just the way Ebola seems to operate, every outbreak is different as its a highly mutating virus.

Other big thing in regards to Ebola is that in all its other forms it is an airborne virus, yet the human form isn't centered around the lungs, its why its long been suspected its only a mater of time for the human form to also switch. This would normally not be a massive issue as Ebola in the past usually killed within a day or 2 and most often had a small incubation period.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fluo posted:

No Problem! :)

Tax quids for Brits not Martians!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Ladies and gentlemen, the Daily Mail:

It's open for anyone to use...but, you know, :supaburn: LESBIANS AND UNMARRIED WOMEN :supaburn:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You can't post that and not post the comments from the online article

quote:

So, if I understand this correctly - these children won't need Fathers because society is going to tax men into poverty to fund these so-called "families"? One very sick society we are creating.

quote:

Oh great.. Feckless women will be going there to get a top up in child benefit. Also what if one doner is used a lot because of his high iq/looks etc and these kids meet fall in love but they are siblings?? This is dangerous and tbh absolutely Sickening

quote:

It's all about treating children as possessions. These people don't care about the happiness of the children, only that they experience having another type of possession. Government is supposed to protect children from such people ... not help them!

All highly upvoted.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

You can't post that and not post the comments from the online article

All highly upvoted.

The idea of a 'doner' with a high IQ is truly terrifying; nobody wants sentient kebabs roaming the streets.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Do people have no idea how much child benefit payments are?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

Also what if one doner is used a lot because of his high iq/looks etc and these kids meet fall in love but they are siblings?? This is dangerous and tbh absolutely Sickening

God forbid sexually incompatible couples adopt, or :ironicat: use a sperm bank :ironicat:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

Tax quids for Brits not Martians!

Life might have started on earth from space rocks billions of years ago! :krakken:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's an interesting counterpart to that line of thinking though - if there is an actual normal policy of vetting ministerial appointments it gives those services an effective veto on them, which is problematic at least on a philosophical level.

Well I'm sure the security services have a pretty strong capability to veto anyway (leaks to the press or rivals, covert sabotage and infiltration of unacceptable groups etc) but it is a question of balance. While no one wants MI5 getting to pick and choose the cabinet no one wants pedos, Libor fixing bankers or drug lords in the cabinet either. If the PM is willing to have such people in cabinet then the security services should have an obligation to prevent their appointment by reporting their crimes to the police.

The reason I ask is that while the NHS and BBC have been criticised, for obvious reasons, if it does turn out senior politicians were paedophiles MI5 should (but probably won't) have major questions to answer. Either they were so incompetent that they didn't know it was happening or allowed major security and blackmail risks to stay in place quite aside from the moral dimension of leaving paedophiles in positions of power.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

police done good for once

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/02/millionaire-city-executive-dodged-43000-rail-fares-unmasked
A millionaire City executive who dodged £43,000 in train fares and hoped to avoid prosecution has been unmasked.

Jonathan Burrows, 44, tried to keep his anonymity by reimbursing Southeastern railways within three days of being caught. His identity has been revealed, however, after an investigation by British Transport police that was triggered after the story first broke in April.

The investment executive is thought to be Britain's biggest fare dodger, after repeatedly exploiting a loophole in the Oyster card system on his daily commute to London.

His commute from his East Sussex home should have cost him £21.50, but Burrows, who earns up to £1m and owns two country mansions worth £4m, managed to pay just £7.20 over a period of five years.

When he was eventually caught in November, he told Southeastern he wanted his name kept secret because of the impact the scandal could have on his job, according to the Daily Mail.

But when British Transport police found out that Southeastern had let Burrows off quietly it launched a criminal investigation, which is ongoing.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) also investigated Burrows over concerns that he could be unsuitable for working in the City. Last week he was forced to tell his managers at BlackRock that the regulator was investigating. He was suspended immediately from his job and eventually resigned.

Jonathan Mullen, a spokesman for BlackRock, said: "Jonathan Burrows has left BlackRock. What he is alleged to have done is totally contrary to our values and principles."

An FCA spokesman said that their investigation had been dropped following Burrows's resignation, but added that past misconduct is taken into consideration when people apply for fresh authorisation. It said: "That doesn't have to be a criminal record. It can be anything that calls into question someone's fitness and propriety to work in the industry."

Burrows could not be contacted for comment. Asked about the case by the Mail, he reportedly said: "Dunno what you're talking about."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Well I'm sure the security services have a pretty strong capability to veto anyway (leaks to the press or rivals, covert sabotage and infiltration of unacceptable groups etc) but it is a question of balance. While no one wants MI5 getting to pick and choose the cabinet no one wants pedos, Libor fixing bankers or drug lords in the cabinet either. If the PM is willing to have such people in cabinet then the security services should have an obligation to prevent their appointment by reporting their crimes to the police.

The reason I ask is that while the NHS and BBC have been criticised, for obvious reasons, if it does turn out senior politicians were paedophiles MI5 should (but probably won't) have major questions to answer. Either they were so incompetent that they didn't know it was happening or allowed major security and blackmail risks to stay in place quite aside from the moral dimension of leaving paedophiles in positions of power.

Should they have known though? There's already enough controversy about them watching leftist students in the 60s and 70s who then went on to become cabinet ministers, imagine the shitstorm if it were discovered (or hinted) that they were doing the kind of intense investigation that you'd need to discover this against elected representatives. It's not like they have a magic paedo-detector, the way they'd find out is by literally following them for months, tapping their phones, breaking into premises. I'd be intensely uncomfortable with a world where this was considered okay behaviour for them (and as everyone knows I'm probably easily the most pro-espionage poster itt).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hey you know how the government is planning to build some new towns to bring house prices down a bit?

Well, it turns out some people actually own houses and might not appreciate their assets' prices returning to a normal, sane level.

Luckily the government might step in to compensate them! (read: give them free money for doing nothing)

quote:

Homes could get payouts for garden city builds - Clegg

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has suggested homeowners could be compensated if the value of their house falls when new garden cities are built.

Mr Clegg said the government could buy homes blighted by developments or offer owners council tax cuts while building takes place.

He told the BBC's Countryfile programme that he did not want anyone to "lose out" as a result of garden cities.

Plans to curb the housing shortage with three new developments are in place.

The government wants to build the communities with around 15,000 homes each. It is thought two of them are to be built in south-east England.

Mr Clegg said it was important to safeguard house prices in areas pegged for the projects.

"We could maybe give deductions on their council tax for the period of time during which the garden city's being built," he said.

"We could possibly also say to those homes where they think the price of their home will be affected, we will guarantee the price of their home by buying it, if you like, upfront."

He said the cost to the public purse of compensating homeowners would not be as great as people would think.

"We are actively looking at things like that to show that we will go the extra mile to allay those concerns of people who feel that their property or the price of their home might be affected," he said.

"We don't want people to lose out."

He suggested the government could offer full market price for a home that could lose value due to disruption caused by construction.

This was the sort of thing the country did anyway with big infrastructure projects, he said.

The Lib Dems leader also told the Sunday Telegraph that he wanted a shortlist for the locations of the three new communities published by the end of the year.

He said the point of them was they would be "well-designed, support jobs, contain top-quality green space and services - the best of town and country in one place".

Mr Clegg announced the three projects in April. He said they would tackle the UK's "chronic" housing shortage.

Funding from an existing £2.4bn pot is to be made available for the developments being built up to 2020.

In 2013, the construction of 109,370 new homes was completed in England - the lowest figure for four years.

Yet the number of households is expected to grow by 221,000 every year this decade.

Twenty-seven new towns were built across the UK after World War Two, including Stevenage, Harlow, Milton Keynes, Corby, Cwmbran, Newton Aycliffe, Peterlee and Cumbernauld.

They were called garden cities because their layouts included large amounts of green space and were designed to deal with an accommodation shortage caused by bomb damage, stagnation in the construction industry, returning service personnel and a baby boom.

In April, Mr Clegg published a prospectus inviting bids from councils.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This is one situation where I'm more than happy to gripe about MAH TAX DOLLERS :bahgawd:

The Coalition: supporting bad financial decisions, unless you're poor

e/ vv Fair enough, though I'm not about to apologise for reflexive cynicism towards anything Gideon thinks is a good idea.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 3, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
To be fair it sounds like a compulsory purchase order which means you'd actually need to sell the property, and the government could then presumably sell it on? So it's not a super easy decision for most people to make (yeah let's just move) and the money doesn't exactly vanish

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The market shall be regulated by supply and demand, unless the rich are inconvenienced.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Pork Pie Hat posted:

A: Short answer, no. Not unless it mutates into an airborne virus.

Or if the Tories really step up their destruction of the NHS.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You missed the possibility that MI5 is full of paedophiles who were just protecting their own :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's no actual law, no. As i said before, the rumour has always been that the security services make their files available at least to the Cabinet Office when it comes to sensitive appointments (indeed the plot of the last episode of Yes Minister, where Hacker uses info supplied to him by Sir Humphrey, by then Cabinet Secretary, to finagle his way to Number 10, is based on this) but no, there's no legal obligation for them to do so.

There's an interesting counterpart to that line of thinking though - if there is an actual normal policy of vetting ministerial appointments it gives those services an effective veto on them, which is problematic at least on a philosophical level.

As I mentioned in the previous topic, if the security services had the power of veto over ministers, Norman Baker would've never got within fifty yards of the Home Office.

Anyway, history's greatest monster does monstrous things:

Jemima Khan and Russell Brand trigger police investigation after masseuse claims 'assault' posted:

Jemima Khan and her boyfriend Russell Brand prompted a complaint to police after a masseuse claimed she was assaulted during a visit to the heiress’s £15 million Oxfordshire home.
Thames Valley Police started an investigation after the 31-year-old, who claimed she had been booked by Miss Khan as a birthday present for Mr Brand, complained that the comedy actor pushed her during an altercation at Kiddington Hall last month.
Mr Brand denied the allegation and the police did not proceed to a full investigation.
Szilvia Berki, who is from Hungary, and charges up to £500 for a massage, told police she had been left upset and frightened after the incident flared up following a disagreement about the service she was to provide.
Officers from the police station in Chipping Norton investigated Miss Berki’s complaint but later informed her that they would be unable to proceed due to a lack of evidence.
She has since lodged a complaint over the way the matter was handled and Thames Valley Police confirmed they are in the process of reviewing the initial investigation.
Miss Berki, who advertises her services on the internet, claims she received an email from Miss Khan on June 6 asking if she would be willing to travel to Oxfordshire the following night to give a massage.
Initially she expressed some reluctance because she lives in Wimbledon and was worried about getting home.
However, she said she agreed when Miss Khan, 40, offered to send a car to collect her and drop her off, and also offered to pay her travelling time. Miss Berki, who claimed to have only vaguely heard of Miss Khan and Mr Brand, 39, said she was stunned when she arrived at the 17th-century property in the heart of Oxfordshire. She described how the couple, who have been dating since last autumn, quickly made her feel at home.
She said the atmosphere changed after a disagreement about the service and a row started. Miss Berki told police she was pushed by Mr Brand and was left terrified after Miss Khan’s white Alsatian dog jumped at her. The driver then took Miss Berki home and Miss Khan later emailed to apologise for any misunderstanding.
Miss Berki said she was so upset she contacted the Metropolitan Police to report an allegation of assault. The complaint was forwarded to the Thames Valley force and an investigation was begun.
A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: “We received a report on 16 June from the Metropolitan Police that a woman had reported that she had been assaulted on June 7 at a private address near Woodstock. An investigation was carried out by Thames Valley Police and in the absence of necessary evidence we were unable to proceed further with the investigation and informed the complainant of this situation.”
The police spokesman confirmed the complaint was being investigated but declined to comment further.
Mr Brand, who has earned a reputation as a Lothario, began dating Miss Khan last year and recently described how the relationship had left him a changed man.
Appearing on the Jonathan Ross show Mr Brand said: “I am in a relationship which is unlike anything I have experienced before. I really love her. I feel that it is grounded in friendship and well cool. It is very exciting.”
He added: “I am going to be really kind in this relationship and try and change myself. It’s an internal change. I have been meditating and thinking about spiritual stuff. This is the happiest I’ve been in this human life.”
Miss Khan, who is the daughter of the late financier Sir James Goldsmith, was previously married to the Pakistan cricketer turned politician, Imran Khan.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Zombywuf posted:

You missed the possibility that MI5 is full of paedophiles who were just protecting their own :v:

Or full of Russian infiltrators who saw it in their long term interests to allow Western institutions to be full of paedos, all the better to discredit and undermine the bourgeois capitalist swine at a late date. Say, sort of now-ish.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

I finally got around to reading this old article by Adam Curtis http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/BUGGER and this would certainly fit into his overall thesis. (Anyone who hasn't read it should, it's fun and sad and interesting)

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Should they have known though? There's already enough controversy about them watching leftist students in the 60s and 70s who then went on to become cabinet ministers, imagine the shitstorm if it were discovered (or hinted) that they were doing the kind of intense investigation that you'd need to discover this against elected representatives. It's not like they have a magic paedo-detector, the way they'd find out is by literally following them for months, tapping their phones, breaking into premises. I'd be intensely uncomfortable with a world where this was considered okay behaviour for them (and as everyone knows I'm probably easily the most pro-espionage poster itt).

It scares me that you handwave away any fears people have about the monitoring of ordinary people on the internet and then express strong opposition for the security services monitoring for paedophiles among the most powerful people in the country. To equate it with the monitoring of protest groups is perverse, making sure child abusers or other kinds of serious criminals do not control the heights of power in Britain is not the same as using the secret police to undermine popular movements.

They definitely should have known because paedophilia, to an even greater degree than homosexuality, was ripe material for blackmail and asset recruitment for the KGB during the cold war. I would argue MI5 also have an obligation to make sure serious and organised criminals do not gain control of the machinery of state but I would imagine that would not have been as strong a concern as stopping the soviets during the cold war.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

DashingGentleman posted:

I finally got around to reading this old article by Adam Curtis http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/BUGGER and this would certainly fit into his overall thesis. (Anyone who hasn't read it should, it's fun and sad and interesting)

And there's this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28597343

quote:

A former army intelligence officer has said he was ordered to stop investigating allegations of child sexual abuse at a boys' home in the 1970s.

Brian Gemmell said a senior MI5 officer told him to stop looking into claims of abuse at Kincora Boys' Home in east Belfast.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Answers Me posted:

The idea of a 'doner' with a high IQ is truly terrifying; nobody wants sentient kebabs roaming the streets.
It's called Croydon

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

A depressing article on welfare sanctions.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

It's going to be so funny when Scotland votes No and the Tories win with a majority next election.

Gonna laugh my rear end off. In Hell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It scares me that you handwave away any fears people have about the monitoring of ordinary people on the internet and then express strong opposition for the security services monitoring for paedophiles among the most powerful people in the country. To equate it with the monitoring of protest groups is perverse, making sure child abusers or other kinds of serious criminals do not control the heights of power in Britain is not the same as using the secret police to undermine popular movements.

They definitely should have known because paedophilia, to an even greater degree than homosexuality, was ripe material for blackmail and asset recruitment for the KGB during the cold war. I would argue MI5 also have an obligation to make sure serious and organised criminals do not gain control of the machinery of state but I would imagine that would not have been as strong a concern as stopping the soviets during the cold war.

You're saying having the ability to do one thing is exactly morally equivalent to actually doing another, completely different thing? Without starting the whole mass surveillance thing again, you can surely see that the level of intrusion needed to discover someone is a paedophile is massively more than that involved in even the most fevered imaginings of what the Snowden leaks say?

MI5 kept an eye out for possible turning of elected representatives by watching the groups doing the turning (or, admittedly in Wilson's case, by just making poo poo up). You're suggesting that they treat MPs (and other senior political figures) to the same level of scrutiny that they gave to the KGB in the Cold War and terrorist cells today, because that's the level of scrutiny they would need to discover whether or not they were paedophiles. If you can't see the problems with that I don't really know what to say.

Now there's an argument to be made to use that sort of intrusion against paedophile networks but that has problems that make infiltration of organised crime and terrorist networks (and completely innocent environmentalist groups of course) look like a walk in the park.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's going to be so funny when Scotland votes No and the Tories win with a majority next election.

Gonna laugh my rear end off. In Hell.

I had that exact argument with a independence voter when I visited Edinburgh. He had a big sign telling everyone to vote to get away from the Tories and I thought 'If only we could all be so lucky.'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

I had that exact argument with a independence voter when I visited Edinburgh. He had a big sign telling everyone to vote to get away from the Tories and I thought 'If only we could all be so lucky.'

Nah mate. Too poor. Too wee. Too stupid.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry if this is meant to be in the Scottish Independence thread but what are the likely political repercussions if the referendum fails? I understand the issue of independence will be slain or at best, kicked upstairs for a while, but will it have any after effect on devolution and Scotland's role in the UK, in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Sorry if this is meant to be in the Scottish Independence thread but what are the likely political repercussions if the referendum fails? I understand the issue of independence will be slain or at best, kicked upstairs for a while, but will it have any after effect on devolution and Scotland's role in the UK, in general?

Westminster will switch focus 100% on the general election and any Scottish issues raised before the referendum will be entirely ignored because Scotland doesn't matter to the GE electoral maths. We've just given a commitment to the UK as-is after all.

Up here it might be more interesting; Labour are sure to try and make political points out of the SNP but they are so inept that I'm thinking it'll backfire.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 4, 2014

• Locked thread