Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Guavanaut posted:

What's the over/under on pellagra making a comeback? 18 months? :smithicide:

If anyone wanted more 'human' proof about how welfare/citizens income/national living wage have positive economic multipliers both instantly and further down the line, it's right here. (Until some :wankah: blames it on the widescreen TVs)

I actually had pellagra! I was sanctioned for six months because I was half an hour late for an appointment. I felt really, really loving awful having basically had to ration food and buy the shittiest I could for quite some time and went to the Doctor who had a pretty hard time diagnosing me seeing as how it's the sort of thing you don't find in developed countries anymore, and he pretty much wrote me a letter demanding the foodbank that I have something because of a medical condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

I have no problem with immigration, but any immigration or population argument that relies on the worship of growth over and above distribution of wealth is a bad one. Whose economic growth has been sustained the most over the past 5 years?

I don't think anyone's really making that argument though - just countering this idea that immigrants are somehow an economic drain instead of net contributors. It's important because that's usually used to lay blame for the (very real) decline in ordinary people's living standards and prospects, so people don't look to the top. It's such an easy sell it's used for all kinds of bullshit distraction claims like HEALTH TOURISM being a prime cause of the massive funding hole imposed on the NHS

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What about the bourgeoisie? :v:

In general I agree. It's definitely an easy rabble rouser, and a slippery slope. I've just had a lesson in how slippery. I've mistakenly used some language that is often used to promote views I despise, and everyone very reasonably assumed those were the views I had. It was actually quite shocking to me. It did not occur to me how close I got to a certain kind of rhetoric.

Well you did say that 'in my country that attitude is quite common', which is exactly what Daily Mail readers here believe about the UK. You sure you're not buying into the same 'feckless lazy poors' narrative back home? I really doubt there's a notable difference between poor Polish people and poor British people

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Well you did say that 'in my country that attitude is quite common', which is exactly what Daily Mail readers here believe about the UK. You sure you're not buying into the same 'feckless lazy poors' narrative back home? I really doubt there's a notable difference between poor Polish people and poor British people

Probably more than we even know. Isn't Poland in the shitter because they jumped on the austerity bandwagon to play 'European Nation Dressup', and of course the people who suffer most from that are the common man, much like everywhere else.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

mfcrocker posted:

Some of the things you have said contradict this belief.

Poor choice of words on my part, that I already apologised for.

baka kaba posted:

Oh, but I'm not talking about poor people per se when I refer to my country, which is something I forgot to point out. That's part of the source of misunderstanding. Nor am I necessarily criticising it. I am one of those people, there are jobs I would much prefer not to do. Though I don't look down on people who do them, and don't consider myself "above" them, just know I would hate doing them, the end result is the same.

In Poland there's a big attitude among young people - and I know plenty of people who think that - that "I shouldn't have gone to university, those working class jobs pay so much more". When confronted with why they won't do them, they go "But I'm university educated!" with a big undertone of "it's beneath me". Those people are all very much middle class, and would in fact rather be unemployed than work certain jobs. My issue isn't with that they don't want to work certain jobs, but with the arrogant attitude of looking down on people who do. Admittedly my viewpoint is very skewed because throughout my education my peers were, for the most part, very well off, especially at university level.

To be succinct: poor people being poor is the fault of the system. No one actually wants to be poor. Poor people, for the most part, are not lazy because they simply cannot afford to be. The system is to blame, and should be reformed. Anyone who says poor people are poor because they're not bootstrapping hard enough while actively keeping them down for his own profit is scum.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 31, 2014

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

People want to see your GCSE results because lots of jobs now have requirements for new hires to have Level 1/2 Literacy/Numeracy.

A few of the people I graduated with had to take a pre-interview literacy test.
An interview for a job as a Speech and Language Therapist.
I can't think of many jobs for which a pre-interview literacy test is more pointless.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Poor choice of words on my part, that I already apologised for.

Horseshit. The issue isn't your wording, it's that some of your views are very disparaging of the working class/people on the dole/etc, which is not leftist at all. It's weird because you do clearly understand that making lazy negative generalisations about groups of people that are easy to blame for society's ills is wrong, but you're doing it anyway.

The existence of lovely people from a group (including your university-educated young people) does not make all people from that group lovely (unless you're grouping them by something lovely that they do)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

mfcrocker posted:

Horseshit. The issue isn't your wording, it's that some of your views are very disparaging of the working class/people on the dole/etc, which is not leftist at all. It's weird because you do clearly understand that making lazy negative generalisations about groups of people that are easy to blame for society's ills is wrong, but you're doing it anyway.

The existence of lovely people from a group (including your university-educated young people) does not make all people from that group lovely (unless you're grouping them by something lovely that they do)

Whoa there, you're right but he got called out and copped to it. Given the social and media narrative that we're all exposed to and the common terms that they use that suddenly appear on everyones tongue (seriously, who ever said criminality before the riots?) everyone drops a lovely phrase every once in a while but you call them out and if they get it you move on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

Some of the things you have said contradict this belief.

There are people in this thread who doubt the leftist credentials of Lenin.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

mfcrocker posted:

You're reaching. Yes, I made an unwarranted generalisation, and that was wrong of me. I apologised for that. It was a mistake, and I own up to it.

Not everyone from any given group is lovely. That is not my argument. My argument is that if I see something often in a certain subset of society (in this case: young upper middle class university students), then it is something that exists in that subset of society (young upper middle class university students). But I mostly brought it up as contextualisation for why I made that mistake of a generalisation. It's not an excuse, because I own up to the mistake, it's a reason for why I did it. I did not take into account how demographically skewed my experiences are.

I do not "disparage the working class/people on the dole/etc.", at least not intentionally.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, but they're ridiculous. Saying that buying into this particular narrative isn't leftist isn't very controversial.

I do not "disparage the working class/people on the dole/etc.", at least not intentionally.

You do manage it, however. I'm not saying you're a Tory bastard, but I am saying you might want to reconsider some of your preconceptions.

I do appreciate that you've owned up to your mistake (and gently caress, more of us should be doing that :) )

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well he was the son of a minor noble. Brezhnev on the other hand was born to decent working class parents, much more Marxist.

(Zeppelin Insanity really does seem to have acknowledged their mistake and made reasonable statements in response to that mistake).

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Suggestions for September thread title, anyone?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zero Gravitas posted:

UKMT September '14 - Everyone is a literal Tory

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Zero Gravitas posted:

UKMT: Scottish megathread planning station

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zero Gravitas posted:

Immigrant's Wrong

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zero Gravitas posted:

UKMT September '14 - This is one type of liberalism.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

namesake posted:

UKMT: Scottish megathread planning station

Thanks, this gave me an idea.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

mfcrocker posted:

I do appreciate that you've owned up to your mistake (and gently caress, more of us should be doing that :) )

Point taken. We cool?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

There's nothing wrong with thinking some jobs are beneath you. The vast majority of fast food and retail jobs are very demanding, thankless and vastly underpaid. And you will get treated terribly. That's beneath you because you're a human being and deserve better.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Zero Gravitas posted:

UK September '14 - They Probably Did It Anyway

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I cannot loving believe that there's a hoover buying panic going on because of consumer item regulation changes.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

namesake posted:

I cannot loving believe that there's a hoover buying panic going on because of consumer item regulation changes.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Point taken. We cool?

Sure :)

Quote-Unquote posted:

There's nothing wrong with thinking some jobs are beneath you. The vast majority of fast food and retail jobs are very demanding, thankless and vastly underpaid. And you will get treated terribly. That's beneath you because you're a human being and deserve better.

Yeah, we really need better working conditions for a lot of people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Justice for Ashya King, close the hospital that complained to the police.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

namesake posted:

i don't think there was until businesses with hoovers to sell whipped up a media storm about it. never let a chance pass to make a quick buck.

lesson i suppose is don't this sort of thing into effect during the silly season.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Scottish Nationalist posters declared their independence from the UK thread, they created a place where they could focus on Scottish issues and set their own agenda. Sadly that independence attempt failed, indeed several Nationalist posters, including yourself, admitted it has turned to poo poo, and now you are desperately trying to reintegrate Scottish nationalist issues into the functioning UK thread.

Alas, bold moves for independence can't easily be reverted. Posts about Scottish independence no longer belong here.

this thread is not functional

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cerv posted:

lesson i suppose is don't this sort of thing into effect during the silly season.

Mandate shorter summer breaks for MPs - end silly season.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

But Henrys are rubbish??? :psyduck:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpqmaCNkg9g

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zero Gravitas posted:

Everything sucks but the hoovers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UKMT September 2014: No Inflammatory Articles, Please

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

I thought we were in a bad place as a society when apprenticeships in fast food and retail chains (wages: £2.68 p/h) were meant to be considered genuine career aspirations - I will never forget being made to sit and listen to two gigantic dildos who came to our school to tell us about such exciting opportunities. Now some are expected to prepare for such apprenticeships by undertaking a traineeship (wages: £0.00) for six months :stare:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

But Henrys are rubbish??? :psyduck:

They really are mind-bogglingly crap in every way. Their suction power is non-existent and anything but a perfect, level surface without obstruction sends them arse over tit.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

gorki posted:

I thought we were in a bad place as a society when apprenticeships in fast food and retail chains (wages: £2.68 p/h) were meant to be considered genuine career aspirations - I will never forget being made to sit and listen to two gigantic nonces who came to our school to tell us about such exciting opportunities. Now some are expected to prepare for such apprenticeships by undertaking a traineeship (wages: £0.00) for six months :stare:

That's awful and really emblematic of how the working class are being treated but if you could use a word that isn't nonce and maybe something more descriptive and less lowkey offensive it would be great.

Edit you already changed it my bad

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vitamin P posted:

That's awful and really emblematic of how the working class are being treated but if you could use a word that isn't nonce and maybe something more descriptive and less lowkey offensive it would be great.

They were trying to gently caress children. Nonce seems like an appropriate term.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Vitamin P posted:

:laugh: i have been told off before. I will admit it is a word I throw around too much but one of them did come over awfully noncey. It was a bit like Legs Akimbo with Cyril Smith.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
GCSE chat, I've just applied for a university research associate job. You need a postgraduate degree to even be considered for the post, and they still asked for my GCSE grades. :shrug:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

big scary monsters posted:

GCSE chat, I've just applied for a university research associate job. You need a postgraduate degree to even be considered for the post, and they still asked for my GCSE grades. :shrug:

Yeah, academic CVs are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

New thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661941

• Locked thread