Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, they're not vetted at all. The rumour has always been that the security services make their files available to the Cabinet Office (and hence the PM) when appointing ministers, but no actual evidence this is the case.

Anyway, past drug use or even use of prostitutes is not actually a barrier to security clearance as long as it's declared. They're interested in/worried about things that make you a likely target for blackmail or other malicious influence, so they dig pretty hard into your finances and ask lots of questions about your sex life but as long as you're honest and don't, say, owe £10k to Big Lenny to cover your hooker and blow bill you'll get through. For example - the dominatrix at the heart of the Max Moseley case was married to a serving MI5 officer, who by definition would have to have the highest level of security clearance. This presumably wasn't a problem.

Presumably a closeted gay person would be a security risk, but an out one wouldn't be? Interesting.

And I heard that because they can easily pass the background checks, the US security services are increasingly full of Mormons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cerv posted:

people who capitalise "MET" - what do you think this is an acronym for?

I am glad that I'm not the only one annoyed by this. And also by people who talk about MAC computers.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

I think saying they're a major threat to the UK is probably pretty overblown (do they even have any desire to rule the UK?). They are, however, loving terrifying and need to be stopped ASAP. Given how most people seem to be pretty content to ignore them, I'm happy to give a bit of leeway to anyone trying to raise concerns. I made the mistake of watching one of their uncut propoganda videos the other day. It involved truckloads of captured Iraqi army guys being executed en masse. The 'lucky' ones were dragged through pools of the blood of those who went before them, shot in the back of the head, and tossed in the river. The unlucky ones were held down and beheaded, and their skulls put on spikes in the town centre. This was all clearly very real. Local civilians don't seem to fare much better in many cases.

Whether that's representative of usual practice or not, things are approaching Third Reich levels of brutality out there. I'm convinced that there are war crimes occuring on a scale well above that of any other conflict in recent history. This is absolutely the thing that does require intervention, and I'm pissed that the governments of the west have made that almost impossible by alienating the public with their loving oil wars.

Our good friends the Iraqi government has also been mass executing people, and more stuff has been coming out about their torture chambers. And the other people Islamic State are fighting, the Assad regime, are also known for massacring lots of people. So yeah Islamic State are awful and everyone hates them but their war crimes are pretty much what you would expect, hyperbole about their crimes being on the level of the Nazis isn't helpful.

Saying they are beyond any other conflict in recent history just shows you haven't been paying attention to other conflicts in recent history.

• Locked thread