Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

BoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

The Earth hasn't exploded yet; there's still time.

PS: it is now August. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pork Pie Hat posted:

A: Short answer, no. Not unless it mutates into an airborne virus.

Q: Is that sort of thing at all likely to happen?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

Also what if one doner is used a lot because of his high iq/looks etc and these kids meet fall in love but they are siblings?? This is dangerous and tbh absolutely Sickening

God forbid sexually incompatible couples adopt, or :ironicat: use a sperm bank :ironicat:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This is one situation where I'm more than happy to gripe about MAH TAX DOLLERS :bahgawd:

The Coalition: supporting bad financial decisions, unless you're poor

e/ vv Fair enough, though I'm not about to apologise for reflexive cynicism towards anything Gideon thinks is a good idea.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 3, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Disgusting Coward posted:

Haha what the gently caress is this wanky poo poo with the candles? People are actually doing this horseshit?

The lights are going out, except for the ones that aren't :goleft:

Also did you know that soldiers in the Great War fought for FREEDOM? :911: I didn't, but a posh man on the radio said it so it must be true.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JoylessJester posted:

"Bristol is ok if you avoid St.Paul's Bedminster, Brislington, Easton, Fishpounds, Filton, Frenchay, Hartcliffe, Knowle, Lawrence Hill, Southmead and St.George"- My last Boss.

Bristol is actually great as long as you don't expect to get anywhere quickly.

Knife murders happen all over, there's nothing wrong with fishponds :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Greggs tea is also loving awful. How can you gently caress up tea, for fucks sake?

Microwave it? :v:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 6, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

big scary monsters posted:

I dunno, this time what he's saying doesn't even take a little thought to make it sound ridiculous. It just doesn't make sense on the face of it, you'd actively have to think around corners to agree with it.

Naw man, you get around that easy enough by not thinking at all.

Zero Gravitas posted:

It should be said though that there is precious little info out there what to do if you're not applying to a graduate scheme with an established company - so I'm improvising as best I can sending speculative applications with a link to my website portfolio of "hey, look what I can do!" stuff to companies I find in the directories and on Linkedin.

Let me know how this works out?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Junkenstein posted:

You mean 'include education and information about masturbation', right?

Today we learn the state approved way to masturbate:

I wish I was joking :cripes:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

It's a great bit of spin because not only does it lower the unemployment figures, it conjures up all this aspirational atmosphere, that what's being 'created' is actually better than a normal job. Work for yourself, follow your dreams, be your own boss and live your life the way you want! It fits exactly with this narrative of people being trapped on welfare, and that all these [strike]cuts[/strike]reforms are about helping people to escape and fulfil their potential.

It is an important and popular fact that Arbeit Macht Frei.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

One of my friends grows chilies and jokes that, when dried and ground, the result would be a chemical weapon.

Him and everyone else who ever grew a chilli. I honestly can't think of a better use for the bloody things myself, mine are only about as hot as Cayenne (~1/20th as hot as Naga :supaburn:) but that's still strong enough to start edging past hot and into mild electrocution territory if you just shove a raw one in your face (PS don't do this).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Phoon posted:

Also Cameron is talking about the islamic state being a threat to britain so get ready for some serious islamophobia

Counter with Brevik, or the Crusades, or that one arguably Islamophobic quote from the last Narnia book.

I can't see any reason to let people get away with "Muslims! :bahgawd:" when they actually mean "militants! :argh:". I know for certain that all the people I know that will speak the former don't have a single thing against Muslims, and don't actually believe ISIS are representative of Islam, they're just too lazy to think about the words coming out of their mouths to consider that maybe it's important to say what they mean instead of just parroting Fearless Leader and the press.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

This is also true, but there aren't that many jobs that will let you work, say 9.00-2.30. The ones there are tend to be low-skilled and badly paid, which is why so many people (mostly women) fall off the career ladder in their 30s. And none of those jobs will give you 16 weeks of holiday a year, so you have to pay for private childminding to cover that, too. It's a mess.

I've not much but anecdotal experience to back this up, but aside from the obvious half-truth of "there's just not enough money :shrug:" I think the main obstacle to this is good management, specifically the fact that it's very hard to find.

Like if you want to cut the hours of all your staff in half you can't just double your workforce to compensate, you have to more than double your numbers because of the additional time it's going to take everyone to make sure they're on the same page and not ballsing up each others work when nobody's looking. Of course if mincome were real then individual businesses wouldn't have to worry so much about the fiscal cost of setting up such a system, but it's just as clear that something more than profit motivation is required to make sure it's done well even then.

There's always the other option of accepting longer deadlines on projects that really do require more personal attention from a small number of people, but it seems a bit unrealistic to ask for both greed and impatience to jump back into the fiery pit they came from at the same time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
tl;dr: first-person whining about starving the beast

goddamnedtwisto posted:

making sure no one person is completely indispensable and fostering a good enough team ethic that people are happy to work around those sort of arrangements

Guess what my department in a particular northwestern NHS trust is completely failing to do :allears:

My managers are lovely people but have been specifically barred from solving their problems by hiring more permanent staff, and nobody's particularly open to creative solutions due to being stressed out and demoralised from the overtime they feel compelled to work since we're both understaffed to begin with and missing two permanent staff to long term leave.

The only help they've been permitted to summon is temp admin support, and while it would theoretically be possible for us temps to do all the grunt work while the [authorised] permanent staff just rubber stamp everything, that falls squarely under the heading of "creative solutions" and thus would get right up everyone's noses since they all have their own way of doing things.

I don't know that I really have a point in telling you this, except that I think it's funny because if I don't laugh I'll get depressed again :gbsmith:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

As for what people spend it on, well, essentially you're saying money itself is problematic because people can spend it on things, which is true, but unless we want the government controlling every single purchase people make then the solution is probably more robust social care, not imposing draconian controls on people's spending habits.

The only bad thing you can do with money economically speaking is bury it in the Cayman Islands.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nuzak posted:

The next riots that occur here are gonna be something special. Can't wait to put my foot through another TV

Will this be your TV, or one in a shopfront window? :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dange posted:

Bearing in mind the fact that richer individuals will structure their affairs in a more "tax-efficient" manner, we have a situation in the UK where the less well off pay more or less the same as the better off. As I said in my previous post, this should be considered a scandal. Regrettably, the issue is never raised by any institution in this country, and people seem to miss this fact as a result.

The only reason I have the first idea what NI might be for is because I've been on the dole and noticed that I'd have gotten bigger payments (how much bigger? for how long? gently caress knows) if I had any contributions to my name. Beyond that I haven't the faintest.

You wouldn't think I'd need to know anything about it to get mad about it being backwards (which I didn't know until just now mind), but I guess the mystery coupled with the lower rate compared to income tax allows it to slip under the radar for most people. :iiam:

--

Speaking of taxes, does anyone know [or know the magic words I can mutter at the gov.uk search engine to find out] how to get out of having an emergency income tax code, and how to get the money back? I assume the latter is a matter of applying for a rebate this March-ish, but I'm not sure if the tax code thing will fix itself or what since I'm technically on zero contracted hours (even though I'm all but guaranteed permanent work since everything is on fire all the time at my current placement).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

ze germans are making food cheap and now the supermarkets are having a little scrap: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/war-on-the-aisles-sees-first-fall-in-food-sales-9684798.html

Deflation ho!

does it really count as deflation if prices are still going up? albeit slower

I'll be honest I've never really understood this thing where megacorps start making GBS threads themselves the second they find out they made less money (or often exactly the same amount of money) as last year. It's like a report says "we didn't ream the proles for quite as much this year" and everyone hears "our credit card is in the red".

Ddraig posted:

I shop in lidl. The price is way better, the quality is way better than anything in Tesco and they have a wider selection of cool stuff.

The two nearest me are over 10 miles away. Pity me :negative:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Shyrka posted:

wtf is this? Who puts sugar in porridge?

People without ready access to honey, syrup, or heroin.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I could have sworn it went "anything you say can and will be used against you"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Squalitude posted:

Well, watch the first 30 seconds of the video, he categorically states he will NEVER talk to ANY police officer under ANY circumstances.

I imagine this attitude is somewhat influenced by the existence of the prison industrial complex.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zero Gravitas posted:

Sure as hell makes me suspicious about what Iain Banks had in mind when he was writing Player of Games.

I have no idea what you mean by this please don't ruin my favourite book :ohdear:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Lack of evidence doesn't mean innocence

it's kind of supposed to though

"we can't prove he done it but we all know he did so let's book him anyway" is not an excellent basis for a justice system. That this is essentially happened anyway even though it's not supposed to work like that is what Sybil is mad about, I think.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

People who think the UK is generally OK are ... neoliberal

For actual contribution, I'd like it if rev would post his response here. I'm interested, but gently caress wading through scotthread.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 28, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Says everyone who can't comprehend the scale of the numbers involved or any of the nuance effects population change has on job opportunities, and so analogise it in their heads as a big game of musical chairs (where the number of chairs is a) static and b) never larger than the total population minus all immigrants)

SelfOM posted:

There are a lot of reasons without having to resort to ad hominim.

Just because the townspeople involved would take offence to being told they're wrong and stupid does not make it an ad hom.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

Hey remember when SelfOM was asked to define "Britishness" and answered "genetics", linking to this article about non-white people, providing no further elaboration except a wink and a nudge?

Good times, good times.

I actually didn't remember that, thank you for reminding me. Got at least three squares on immigration bingo: conflating "race" and "ethnicity", conflating "non-white British" with "immigrants", and a "Britain is filling up" quote near the end.

On a tangent to "I don't have to care about this problem if it's sufficiently external", what all is everyone here having to deal with in relation to this vacuum cleaner fiasco? I'd kind of blanked over it myself until yesterday when I had to sit through a number of relatives moaning over coffee that it's just not cricket that their carpets will be slightly dustier (as if supplemental carpet cleaning agents don't exist), and that it's their right to choose to own overpowered electric devices in pursuit of personal comfort.

It's like as soon as it starts being about civil liberties people forget about things like saving energy for planetary or even personal benefit. My parent's house still does not contain a single LED lamp in TYOL Two-Thousand and Fourteen, all because my dad has an irrational love of dimmer switches and apparently enjoys forking out :10bux: every time one of his halogen bulbs explodes (which is about once or twice a month, they are hilariously unreliable)

You can get dimmable LEDs now right? That is a thing? I'm seriously considering forking out a few hundred pounds to replace them all for him, because it's pissing me off that part of his electric bill is over 10 times higher than it needs to be.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JFairfax posted:

who the gently caress asks for GCSE results when you're applying for a job? seriously, that's a loving joke / you must be going for some seriously lovely jobs.

Network Rail apprenticeships :goleft: It's true they're primarily aimed at college leavers, but they are open to older people as well, and a good thing too with the cost of domestic education right now.

JFairfax posted:

if you're applying for jobs where they honestly give a poo poo about the exams you took when you were sixteen then I feel bad for you son.

Your pity is noted and appreciated, please consider augmenting it by campaigning for policy changes that will make adult [re]training a thing it is actually plausible for non-rich people to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

But Henrys are rubbish??? :psyduck:

• Locked thread