Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Lets face it, the whole of the UK has access to some awesome stuff, whether that's good restaurants and nightlife or some rolling hills and valleys.

The problem is all the loving british people everywhere. Bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I once had the sole of am new DM fall off on the street a couple of weeks after spending £60 on them.

Now I stick with Solovair - made in Wollaston I think.

If we are doing a footwear thing, my HiTek Magnums have lasted me several years of absolute comfort and will probably last another year or two easily

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

El Scotch posted:

Tea, biscuits, the Queen, racism.

Golliwogs

notaspy posted:

Why do you think God invented interns?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Obliterati posted:

It's true and I agree but if stuff like this is really going on then it becomes a great excuse to pretend that anti-Israel = anti-Semitic. The I/P thread has a few Hasbara types repeatedly linking whatever scattered examples they can find, and even the Guardian today is suggesting that the two are basically the same.

It was linked to probably a few dozen hundred pages back on the I/P thread now, but hasbara types have actually been known to drop into protests to try and stir up poo poo- not saying there aren't a bunch of bigoted shitheads doing it too because there is a fair bit of actual anti-Semitism in the UK, but it is a hasbara ploy to roll up with bigoted posters/placards long enough to get a few shots of them in the crowd then gently caress off so they can paint the entire protest as the next Kristallnacht.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the EDF at least have an understandable reason for being out of control

Fuckers tried to charge me twice on my 'leccy bill, bastards!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

House Louse posted:

E: what I'm saying is that even if both sides are in the wrong, Israel at least has an understandable reason for being out of control.

Such as?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Tortuga posted:

That isn't a generic black flag, there are definitely not many different Islamic groups that use that specific flag.

There may be some confusion between the black flag that was taken down in tower hamlets by a nun (non-isis) and the picture with the isis dude with the crying girl that lost a quran-competition (isis flags abound) that mensch was displaying as a prelude to childrape.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

HortonNash posted:

You sure? She looks shifty to me, and them ISIS fellows are sneaky like that!

You don't have to associate nuns with ISIS to make them scare the piss out of a former catholic schoolboy.

Alternative response:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I agree though that it's still unsettling to see armed British police.

I see them pretty regularly round here, I think the policy is to have an armed squad out on regular duty just so they are readily available, but then there have been a few shootings in the area this year- they just carry a pistol though, if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't know.

Always remember seeing them at airports/london with mp5/rifle and the big body armour though.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

glitchkrieg posted:

When will UKIP save us from foreign bodies?

A broad and wide-ranging cross party response is needed to ensure the public are aware of the dangers of non-flared bases, party politics be damned, this isn't an issue to sit around on!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Being self-employed I can say its pretty poo poo, often waiting on edge for any kind of contract to come in so I might have enough to cover the bills this month- and like others I know that are self-employed I'm looking to take a "normal" job if a suitable one comes up because gently caress not being able to afford half-decent scotch to numb myself into oblivion.

The union is great though, I'm always giving my bosses poo poo and slacking right off :c00lbert:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I mourn a general decline in the fortunes of brannigans brand crisps, many a night I spent in the pub, utterly trollied, eating crisps and cheating on the pub quiz, and now you can barely find a bag.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Pissflaps posted:

Pub quiz cheats are scum.

Everyone cheated on it, it was more a contest as to which table did it the best (whether it was straight up texting answers home, sabotaging/bribing the other team, getting quizmaster Mandy drunk or shenanigans like falsifying answer sheets). To cheat was to play. We played to win drink for free. Team wankstank played hard :smugbert:

I'm against the wall for other stuff anyway, as are most of my prolier than thou comrades- and quite right too.

Nevett posted:

Our office sandwich man stocks the roast ham and mustard flavour ones. You need to be careful not to breathe out through your nose while eating them. Owns.

I sometimes find them or the beef ones, but when I were a wee lad they seemed to be in every corner shop... that fat jolly butcher on the front... calling to me...

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

And if/when our homegrown headchopper is identified/located, what then? A stern telling off? is his passport going to be super-double ripped up no returns? send in AAAR BRAVE BOYS for an extra-judicial killing?

Give it a year, and the government will probably be making under the table deals with ISIS and talking about how the enemy of our enemy is our friend even if they are genocidal fuckwits, just like they are now with Assad.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Lord Twisted posted:

I don't think at any point our government had said Assad is our friend. I think they've made it pretty clear the only 'help' he's going to receive is the indirect benefits of outside forces fighting ISIS. No need to use hyperbole.

Er...

The Guardian posted:

Britain should join America and start bombing militants from Islamic State (Isis), Richard Dannatt, the former head of the army, has suggested.

In an interview on BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Friday, Lord Dannatt said he thought it was inevitable that Britain would eventually start launching air strikes against Isis.

He also said the government should open talks with the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad as part of the campaign against Isis.

His comments about Assad were echoed by Sir Malcolm Rifkind, the Conservative former foreign secretary and chairman of the intelligence and security committee, who said it was sometimes necessary to work with "extremely nasty" people in order to defeat enemies who were even worse.

Dannatt and Rifkind spoke out as Washington signalled that it might extend the fight against Isis. At a news briefing, Martin Dempsey, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, said Isis was an organisation "that has an apocalyptic, end-of-days strategic vision which will eventually have to be defeated".

Until now David Cameron, who is still bruised by the Commons vote against his plans for military intervention in Syria last year, has been wary of getting Britain involved in the military campaign against Isis in Iraq.

Although the Americans have launched air strikes against Isis, the RAF Tornado jets dispatched to the region have only been involved in surveillance.

In the interview, Dannatt, who advised Cameron on military matters before the general election and now sits in the Lords as a crossbencher, said Britain would eventually join the bombing campaign.

Stressing the importance of maintaining the UK's close relationship with the US, he said: "I think the time will come when we will decide that our Tornado jets operating in the region won't just take photographs and produce intelligence; they will start dropping ordinance in conjunction with the Americans."

Dannatt also said the need to intensify the military campaign against Isis would require the west to open negotiations with Assad, even though the US and the UK came close to launching air strikes against his regime last summer following the use of chemical weapons in Syria's civil war.

Asked if Britain should talk to Assad, Dannatt said: "The short answer is yes, I do."

This was important because defeating Isis would involve intervening in Syria, where Isis established a power base before expanding into Iraq, he said.

"The old saying 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' has begun to have some resonance with our relationship in Iran and I think it is going to have to have some resonance with our relationship with Assad," he said.

"I think whether it is above the counter or below the counter, a conversation has got to be held with [Assad] because, if there is any question of air strikes over Syria, it has got to be with the Assad regime's approval."

Rifkind made a similar argument in an interview with the Financial Times.

"[Isis] need to be eliminated and we should not be squeamish about how we do it," Rifkind said.

"Sometimes you have to develop relationships with people who are extremely nasty in order to get rid of people who are even nastier."

Nope, I'm fairly sure that wasn't hyperbole, given that figures within defence/intelligence are openly talking about the need to build a relationship with that mad gassing bastard.

It's not like the UK doesn't have a long history of doing pretty much the same thing in other places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Lord Twisted posted:

My point is this still falls short of the Foreign office making overtures towards Assad. These are not Cabinet members or people actually making the decisions, though I completely accept your point.

If Cameron declares the UK is going to cooperate with Assad I'd love to see how the papers spin it. It was the anniversary of the gas attack last week and SA's finest Brown Moses did some good stuff on it. Pretty much 100% that it was the government gassing those poor civilians.

I don't think it would really happen like that: I doubt we would see any real media attention played to it, there wouldn't be press conferences announcing Assad's return to the fold or glossy photoshoots of Cameron embracing Assad a'la Blair and Gaddafi because there is no need to rehabilitate his image (and as you note, how the gently caress would the media spin it). It would be more like it seems to be now, a few notable names giving reference to having to hold their noses and deal with the slightly less insane murderous despot to "get the job done" so that in a few months or a year when it's revealed that Assad was pointing out ISIS forces he would like struck in direct co-operation with the west, or was opening up air corridors for strike aircraft then there's some cover in the form of "oh well we did say we might have to do that".

Of course, with the way things are going it's entirely possible that by the time anything "useful" is actually done, Assad will have about as much sway as the FSA do, Syrian control of airspace in the south is already pretty much non-existent.

And yes, unless someone's standards of evidence are at the "well 9/11 was actually done by stealth blackops F16s with laser cannons READ OPERATION NORTHWOODS YOU SHEEP" level, it's pretty clear Assad was responsible- in fact, I have seen less conspiracy guff over the gas attacks than any other large event in recent years, I only know about it through BM getting hassled over it.

• Locked thread