Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

The hippo people owned dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The hippo people owned dude.

on the other hand defending plutonis doesn't own, so

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ed Greenwood and R.A. Salvatore are the only people who actually make a consistent living off of D&D and will continue to do so in the future. Those guys are going to be getting work or a check in the mail until the day they die. Just think about that. Not that they're bad people but they've done better than the people who created the game.

Drizzt is the best thing to come out of D&D setting in terms of an iconic, recognizable character for people people outside the hobby and WOTC will never use him for anything big because nerds are still sore about Drow being playable and would pitch a fit.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Arivia posted:

on the other hand defending plutonis doesn't own, so

Why?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Drizzt is the best thing to come out of D&D setting in terms of an iconic, recognizable character for people people outside the hobby and WOTC will never use him for anything big because nerds are still sore about Drow being playable and would pitch a fit.

Drizzt is cool because you can kill him for his extremely sick equipment in Baldur's Gate.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He's bad

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Why?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

transphobia

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Shut the gently caress up about Plutonis already goddamn.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

You're bad too

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

it is my mission in life to destroy plutonis

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

zen death robot posted:

Zoq is fairly loving epic, actually.

Why?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Alouicious posted:

You're bad too

Suck my rear end.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I AM THE MOON posted:

it is my mission in life to destroy plutonis

This and the spelljammer posts are the only good ones on this page

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The next D&D video game will be a nostalgic return to its roots with classic and oft-forgotten D&D setting, Birthright.

My uncle works at Paradox.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Traveller posted:

The next D&D video game will be a nostalgic return to its roots with classic and oft-forgotten D&D setting, Birthright.

This sounds kind of cool but a fairly different game from D&D.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I mean, it really does sound like more of a strategy game.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
The newest DriveThruRPG newsletter stated that not only are all of the TORG books available to purchase from the site now, but that they're writing more.

There's gonna be new TORG in 2015.

God help us all.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
So as it turns out, I've been confusing the Giff (D&D's race of gun-wielding, space-faring, militaristic humanoid hippos)

with the Umpani (Wizardry's race of gun-wielding, space-faring, militaristic humanoid rhinos).

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

LightWarden posted:

So as it turns out, I've been confusing the Giff (D&D's race of gun-wielding, space-faring, militaristic humanoid hippos)

with the Umpani (Wizardry's race of gun-wielding, space-faring, militaristic humanoid rhinos).

Hippos and rhinos are almost the same if you think about it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
This is the same company whose original races includes the spacefaring mook

So the idea that they might be inspired by other franchises isn't anything new- I just forgot that the Umpani were rhinos until I recently checked.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I mean, it really does sound like more of a strategy game.

That’s the idea, Mark.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Oh hey I totally missed the rest of July's monthly chat thread it was kind of dull withou--

:aaaaa::stare:

what's going on in this thread, i'm so confused

P.S: Does any GM here have advice for getting out of a GMing lack of inspiration/lack of motivation slump?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

People literally hate Elminster so much that both Elminster options are last. The terrorists didn't win.

e;

Kai Tave posted:

Y'know Ettin, this is an awful lot of work just to get out of the toxx from your Eclipse Phase game. I'd have spotted you the ten bucks, man.

You stole my joke and you're not even in his game.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 1, 2014

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

NachtSieger posted:

P.S: Does any GM here have advice for getting out of a GMing lack of inspiration/lack of motivation slump?

Go to a pub, bring a notebook and some pencils. Get a beer or something, sit down. If you can, light a smoke. Give yourself half an hour or so to write anything that comes to your mind. Then make sense of your ideas and put them together.

This is p much what I do before every session I run.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

NachtSieger posted:

Pick an album - any album - and frame the scenes for the next adventure around the song titles.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Traveller posted:

Crusader Kings: Birthright Forgotten Realms

Furthermore, I consider that Plutonis must be probated.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Steal plots for your game from episodes of the hit TV show Frasier.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

NachtSieger posted:

Give yourself a break, run an adventure path or something that you don't have to work hard on and just have fun for a while without all the pressure of encounter design and poo poo being on you

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Steal plots for your game from episodes of the hit TV show Frasier.

This but Seinfeld.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
You could always get stuff from books written for the explicit purpose of having stuff. I've run some much stuff off the top of my head lately - Dungeon World and so on - that I forgot how comforting it is to have a really good scenario as a safety net. I ran Jailbreak for Unknown Armies in under 3 hours with seven players today, killed three of them, and a good time was had by all.

Please post hot modules and the best adventure books you got.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

NachtSieger posted:

Take a break from gming, and talk to your players about what everyone- including you- wants from the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Forums Terrorist posted:

This but Seinfeld.

"Roll Constitution to wear the puffy shirt."

"But I don't wanna wear the puffy shirt!"

"I'll roll, Jerry."

"NEWMAN."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Seinfeld? D&D?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow, the iks had to go back several months for some posts they could attach probations to :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

The newest DriveThruRPG newsletter stated that not only are all of the TORG books available to purchase from the site now, but that they're writing more.

There's gonna be new TORG in 2015.

God help us all.

Nor all the books are up, it's most of the adventures and only one cosmbook. I guess the rest are coming next year.

Dammit, I just want a new edition of Torg with decent mechanics, why can't we have that?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nor all the books are up, it's most of the adventures and only one cosmbook. I guess the rest are coming next year.

Dammit, I just want a new edition of Torg with decent mechanics, why can't we have that?

(ALL HAIL KING TORG!!)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Kobolds at my baby!

...And they developed Corruption and became a horror and we had to research their true death. :(

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LightWarden posted:

No joke, I want a Wizardry 6-8 style RPG sometime. Space fantasy, who cares how little sense it makes to have a spaceport in an otherwise medieval village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Phantasy Star is my favourite weirdo sf/f blend. Phantasy Star 1.

• Locked thread