Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Australia is a terrible country populated by racists. Discuss.

House of Representatives:
  • Liberal Party of Australia - the adults in charge whose policies tend to revolve around killing the poor and stopping the boats. In coalition with the Nationals
  • Nationals - in coalition with the Liberals, endorse the aforementioned killing of the poors and (according to their website) are apparently the party for regional Australia
  • Labor - the previous government, tried to be more right wing than the Libs in the run up to the election and failed miserably, subjecting us to another couple of years of Liberal bullshit
  • The Greens - Those hippy dippy treehugging bastards that can't make government because nobody votes for them because they can't make government because nobody votes for them be-
  • Andrew Wilkie - independent, doesn't support the indefinite detention of children in our foreign concentration camps, which is a nice change
  • Cathy McGowan - independent, unseated Sophie Mirabella at the last election
  • Katter's Australia Party - from Queensland, 'nuff said
  • Palmer United Party - lead by none other that Clive Palmer, a mining billionaire who got kicked out of the Libs and started his own party.

Senate:
  • The Coalition - 33
  • Australian Labor Party - 25
  • The Greens - 10
  • Palmer United Party - 3
  • Motoring Enthusiast party - 1 (Ricky!)
  • Democratic Labour Party - 1
  • Liberal Democrat Party - 1 (Leyonhjelm)
  • Family First - 1
  • Nick Xenophon - the only independent senator this time around. Is simultaneously neoliberal and anti-pokies
I might pretty this up later with pictures, but who knows.

Previously, on Auspol

Auspol Links
Australian Politics Wiki
100 days in government
Sulla's Link Archive

Auspol IRC
Really the best thing about Auspol is the IRC channel. There is a kickbot that will kick you for saying, amongst other things:
  • Gendered slurs
  • References to Japanese cartoons
  • Permutations of the name 'Greg'
The rules change at the whims of the mods, if you get kicked often enough you will get banned for a day or two. Come join us!

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #auspol

Alternatively, here's the mibbit link for people who are bad at chatting to strangers on the internet.

froglet fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
gently caress all these changes to unemployment. It's going to make it even more impossible for your resume to be seen among the pile of 8000 resumes sent out due to the requirement to spam everyone with loving resumes for jobs you aren't qualified.

Where's my DIGNITY OF WORK Tony???

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Do I lose points if I grew up in Queensland but left the country?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The man he stepped up to the microphone and he gave it a kiss.
It was a big wet, slippery kiss.
And he had sweat dripping off of his nose onto the windscreen.
As he looked out over the audience he said,
God bless you, God bless you one and all.
Then he took a can of Ronson lighter fluid
And he squirted it over the top of his head.
And proceeded to light himself on fire
As he stood there glowing and said,
Remember this day.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I think that gets you points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ground floor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDiC0huVDs

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Senate numbers wrong there aren't 26 National Senators, thank gently caress.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Hey Auspol,

Just a reminder about Xylo's Australian Care package. I will post a reminder at the start of each thread monthly thread all the way up until Novembers thread.

As we all know, Xylo has been a fantastic Mod/Admin, better than we deserve. Those of you on Snapchat also know that he has a bubbly baby boy that makes even the most jaded Auspoler go :3: A few of you have decided that you want to send him a thank you.

I am heading to the US in November to present at a conference, and I am happy to carry the package to the US and help pay the postage costs to ship internally once there.

The plan is to make it an Auspol collaboration, an Auspol Christmas present for Xylo's family if you will (no bus chat).

I was thinking the usual stuff like Tim Tams, a bottle of Bundy, Vegemite etc. If people wanted to send personalised stuff they could send it to my work before hand.

Hambeet has offered to be the “treasurer” and collect money through his paypal (like he did for AMU’s ban)

If you want to take part, I have created a google doc like we used in Mafia to chat. Feel free to leave suggestions, let us know if you plan on chipping in or sending a gift through to me.

The google doc is at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qHwwV7qEMIE58wcE1-2WIsT69jkZPWiSP3ejQxT4Myo/edit?pli=1#gid=1917312845

If you have any questions (like Hambeet’s Paypal account), you can either PM me or if you don’t have PMs you can email
xylopresent at gmail dot com

Which will be periodically checked

Cheers

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Also LNP being caught out making up fake supporters online again.
(Actually not sure if it's fake - but certainly hiding behind other real people)

Campbell Newman supporter uses PR guru Catriona Pollard as profile photo

The internet can be a murky place, especially for those politically minded.
LNP supporter ‘Holly Watson’ and advocate of the Facebook page ‘Supporting Campbell Newman and the LNP’ found herself so under attack for her backing of the government’s criminal gang laws, she “had to completely change” her own profile.

The trouble is she used a photo of Sydney PR guru and social media expert Catriona Pollard as her profile pic, leading to questions about whether the government was involved in the page and who ‘Holly Watson’ was.

But she’s definitely not Ms Pollard.

“Holly Watson appears to be a fake Facebook profile and they have used my image without permission,” Ms Pollard said.

“The page has been reported to Facebook and is under investigation. I am not associated with the posts made by “Holly Watson” to the group page “Supporting Premier Campbell Newman and LNP”.

Neither is the government, with a spokesman for the Premier confirming what the page itself espouses – that it is not connected in any official capacity with the LNP.
Ms Watson quickly changed her image after she was contacted by Fairfax Media.
“I have received many threats of violence so I had to change my fb profile completely,” she said in a message.

“I actually had my picture area blank but I got harassed for that too.
“So I googled pics of women and randomly chose that one...I chose it because it was a little bit 'girl-next-door'.”

But Queensland University of Technology social media researcher, Axel Bruns, said hiding your real identity while pushing political messages could end up hindering the party you support.

“By doing so, you are inviting speculation of whether this is genuinely a grassroots campaign or something that is orchestrated by the party itself to make it look like it is grassroots, which is called astro-turfing,” he said.

“If an astro-turfing campaign is discovered, they can hurt much more than they can help, because it looks like you are prepared to mislead the electorate to make it look like there is support when there isn’t. “

Which is seemingly not the case in this instance.
Ms Watson has decided to continue her support of Campbell Newman and the LNP as 'Rosie the Riveter'.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...l#ixzz3967rqEgh

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQShSBhzG40

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

This is a placeholder post.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
This isn't a placeholder post.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I am a placeholder poster.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

This may or may not be a placeholder post. Answer below.

Argh you changed the outcome by measuring it!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
this is not a placeholder post

this is just a tribute

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
where are the amusing OP pictures, we have standards around here :colbert:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mattjpwns posted:

Anidav posted:

Bill Leak is a mother fucker:

Australia

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Goddamn, that poo poo makes me physically ill. :(

I would have preferred a page of David Pope, but that wouldn't Maintain The Rage™ quite as well.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Am I the only person who doesn't actually mind Sarah Hanson Young? She gets appropriately cross at things that are poo poo.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't actually mind Sarah Hanson Young? She gets appropriately cross at things that are poo poo.

She is the worst second worst greens senator(I forgot Whish-Wilson was around), but that still makes her better than the non-Greens senators.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Those images gave me brainAIDS.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
don't worry, he's only the daily cartoonist for the only newspaper with national circulation.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Why is Twiggy Forrest's idiotic plan to put all welfare recipients on income management getting so much press? Is this Liberal strategy? Publicize something horrible so their own policy looks mild in comparison?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Amethyst posted:

Why is Twiggy Forrest's idiotic plan to put all welfare recipients on income management getting so much press? Is this Liberal strategy? Publicize something horrible so their own policy looks mild in comparison?

Yes

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

We thought that's what all the budget leaks were and then it turns out no that's their actual policy so :iiam:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mattjpwns posted:

Let me put it to you this way: The Age of Entitlement is over.

We should not take this as cause for despair. It is our market based economies which have forced this change on unwilling participants.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Today I learnt that the ABC paid Bill Leak to paint a portrait of dead indigenous activist Charles Perkins as part of the series "Face Painting"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

PUP threatens to block supply over privatising states' assets

Date
August 1, 2014

82 reading now
Comments 163

Heath Aston, Judith Ireland

Clive Palmer says his Senate team is prepared to vote to block supply to prevent Treasurer Joe Hockey's $6 billion asset recycling fund, designed to pay state governments to privatise assets.

''The only recycling we would vote for is recycling the Treasurer,'' Mr Palmer said. ''Joe Hockey is the most spectacularly unsuccessful treasurer Australia has seen.''

''The government should call a double dissolution and let the public decide on things like privatisation, but they've got no guts.''

And Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said on Friday that the Abbottt government's budget had failed because the Prime Minister believed negotiating with the opposition was a ''sign of weakness''.

''What has amazed me in the 10 months I’ve been Opposition Leader is that Tony Abbott will do anything but deal with the opposition,'' Mr Shorten told ABC Radio.
Clive Palmer.

''He thinks that somehow negotiation with Labor is a sign of weakness I just think it's a sign of pragmatism.''

Mr Palmer's hardened stance against asset recycling came as Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Mr Hockey focused on infrastructure renewal and privatisation in their bid to jump-start the budget sales job.

Spruiking the merits of privatisation in Tasmania on Thursday, Mr Abbott fended off taunts by Mr Palmer to go to back to the polls to break the budget deadlock with the Senate, saying ''Australia doesn't need another election'' right now.

''We need a Parliament which respects the mandate that the government was given at the election we've just had,'' he said.

On Friday, the Treasurer batted away the threat and urged critics to take a ''chill pill''.

''Most of the budget has passed through the parliament because of the appropriations, so its important that everyone has a bit of a chill pill here,'' he told Sky News.

Constitutional lawyer Professor George Williams has cast doubt on whether Mr Abbott could take Australia back to the polls even if he wanted to, saying it was not clear whether a double dissolution trigger existed.

He said it was not certain whether the old Senate could ''roll over'' its disagreements with the lower house when the Senate renewed on July 1 and the High Court may need to get involved on the question.

The Senate rejected the Clean Energy Finance Corporation abolition bill twice before July and the mining tax repeal bill once.

''The fact that the Senate has rolled over means that there's some uncertainty with that trigger. The constitution doesn't deal specifically with that question,'' Professor Williams said.

The Asset Recycling Bill, which would strip $5.9 billion from Labor's Building Australia Fund and Education Infrastructure Fund, has been rejected once by the Senate and it is viewed by the Palmer United Party as the likely next double dissolution trigger if it comes back again from the House of Representatives.

The scheme will pay a loading of 15 per cent of the value of a privatisation to states as long as the money goes back into new infrastructure projects such as Melbourne's East West link and the Sydney WestConnex motorway.

But Mr Hockey took the unusual step this week of warning that he could bypass the Senate altogether by establishing the fund via an appropriation bill. He dared the opposition to block an appropriation bill - tantamount to blocking supply and bringing on a constitutional crisis.

It is understood the Labor Party would not block supply on this issue, while Mr Palmer has stated his readiness.

The government is likely to try again to negotiate the bill through Parliament. A spokeswoman for Mr Hockey said: ''The government is committed to the government's bill but if it has to look at other ways of funding infrastructure for the states it will.''

Mr Hockey hit the road this week, meeting crucial crossbench senators independent Nick Xenophon, Family First's Bob Day and PUP Jacqui Lambie, trying to win their support for key budget measures being blocked by the Parliament.

The Treasurer also accused Labor of tearing up its support for a budget surplus and said any shift from the bipartisan goal could put Australia’s triple-A credit rating at risk.

But Mr Shorten hit back on Friday saying Mr Hockey was ''flailing around'' trying to blame anyone for his budget mess and said the ''spectacle'' of the Treasurer trying to ''retrofit the votes to get it through'' 10 weeks later was a ''joke''.

Mr Shorten says the government needs to sit down with Labor and not the assortment of crossbench Senators.

Mr Shorten accused Mr Abbott of being so ''addicted to the politics of opposition'' that he lacked the skills to negotiate and needed to appreciate that ''the rest of us got elected too''.

with Latika Bourke

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz396IyqFsX

ELECTION NOW!

Also:

quote:

No modelling to prove Abbott's dole plan works

Date
August 1, 2014

20 reading now
Comments 39

Gareth Hutchens
Gareth Hutchens

View more articles from Gareth Hutchens

Follow Gareth on Twitter Email Gareth

A Department of Employment official has admitted the Abbott government has not done any modelling to estimate how many job seekers will find employment within three months after completing its multibillion-dollar work-for-the-dole program.

That is despite the government's own data showing work-for-the-dole programs are the least effective way to help people find jobs.

Department of Employment data shows that - for job seekers in 2013 - only 19.8 per cent of participants in work-for-the-dole schemes found a full- or part-time job within three months.

That compares with 40.3 per cent of people who did unpaid work experience, 28.4 per cent of those who completed some form of work training, 25.7 per cent who were trained in job search techniques, and 21 per cent of those who did voluntary work.

In senate estimates in June, Job Services Australia general manager Moya Drayton was asked by Greens senator Rachel Siewert if the government had any estimates of the proportion of unemployed participants that could expect to find a job within three months after finishing the Abbott government's new work-for-the-dole program.

''The department does not have estimates on the number of job seekers for the under-30 measure expected to be in full or part-time employment three months after participation in work for the dole,'' the department said.

The department also said it had no idea how many people it expected would move off income support as a consequence of being referred to the government's work-for-the-dole program.

The Abbott government has stressed that recent data relates to the former Labor government's work-for-the-dole programs.

''Labor watered down work for the dole and the number of job seekers moving into work decreased under Labor's watch,'' Assistant Minister for Employment Luke Hartsuyker said.

''Our new model is less prescriptive [than Labor's] with a stronger focus on only paying providers for results. It is this new combination of incentives and services that will improve the chances of a person getting a job.''

But Senator Siewert said the government could not be confident its program would be any different to Labor's.

''Given they've done no modelling, on what basis do they know they're going to be any different?'' she said.

''The evidence suggests that work-for-the-dole programs aren't effective, and if you talk to academics and non-government organisations who are engaged with the issue, they don't think it's effective at all.''

As of March 31, there were 17,000 job seekers who were doing work for the dole.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/no-modelling-to-prove-abbotts-dole-plan-works-20140731-3cx9g.html#ixzz396JhZ9L4

What a load of utter failures.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Today I learnt that the ABC paid Bill Leak to paint a portrait of dead indigenous activist Charles Perkins as part of the series "Face Painting"

I thought depicting the dead like that was a big "no no" for most indigenous cultures in Australia?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Tonight I wanted to address why the Australians are here. There are two reasons why we are here and I will go through them momentarily. But firstly I should say good friends visits their friends in tough times. It is easy to visit your friends when things are going well. Fair-weather friends who come and go when things are on the up and up are easy to come by. Friends who come when times are tough – they are the real friends.

Ladies and gentlemen, I was approached by a young man at the reception here at the King David Hotel on Friday, his name was Aaron, and he asked me who I was and where I was from and I said I was from Australia and he said ‘why are you here?’. And I very simply said, because Australians love freedom. And he said very simply, that freedom isn’t free, right?. And I said exactly right. The reason why the Australians are here today, the first reason, is because Australians value freedom. And we have been fighting for freedom for 114 years and usually alongside our UK friends, whether it has been in the Battle of Beersheva here in Israel, in the Second World War, or the First World War, or more recently in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Vietnam and Korea, wars that are now well and truly in the past.

Whenever there has been a congregation of freedom loving nations versus non freedom loving nations, Australia has always been prepared to be in the fight and always on the right side. And that’s how we view the State of Israel that we are on the right side. It is a story about the King of Denmark during the Second World War when the Nazis changed their attitude toward the deportation of the Danish Jews. There weren’t many Danish Jews, about 8,000 or so but the King of Denmark when the Nazis changed their attitude and said that they would start to deport the Jews, said that the Jews are Dames and the Dames are Jews.

In other words, the concerns of Jewish Dames were the concerns of all Dames. In the same way I believe, and I think most Australians believe, that the destruction or defeat of Israel is a concern for all of us around the world. Because Israel is the beacon of freedom and liberty in the Middle East and Australia likes to believe that it is in the world. We are two sister nations believing in the same thing – freedom of the press, freedom of democracy, freedom of association. It shows that Israel has existential threats that requires them to take firm action to protect those freedoms, firmer actions than Australia has had to take to protect our own existence. So that is the first reason, ladies and gentlemen, why the Australians are here. Because we regard Israel and Australia as sister countries with the same value systems and we want to show our support for that system here in the Middle East.

The second reason is more personal, ladies and gentlemen, and it goes to the question of remembering some of the crimes of the past. The great crime of the past against the Jewish people was the Holocaust. And just coming to Israel as an Australian, and landing at Ben-Gurion Airport, even in the last few days travelling El Al, just by the act of coming here, we reaffirm that we will not forget the crime of the Holocaust against the Jewish people, and we stand with the Jewish people. Simply by the act of making sure this dialogue was not cancelled when some people said it should have been cancelled because it was dangerous, the Australians and British came here, simply by that act reaffirmed that we will not forget the Holocaust.

This is my sixth visit to Israel. And it is important that we come again and again to Israel.

To say it to those in the Islamic Jihad, the terrorists – Hamas or ISIS or whoever they are – that by their actions they won’t frighten Australians into coming to Israel and supporting Israel. That is by me and my colleagues, whether they are Labor or Liberal, are here supporting this Dialogue because it proves, ladies and gentleman, it proves that freedom is winning and tyranny is losing.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lid posted:

ELECTION NOW!

Also:

What a load of utter failures.

It's pretty much their motto at this point.

House Liberal: No Modelling Was Done

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

I thought depicting the dead like that was a big "no no" for most indigenous cultures in Australia?

Not sure about Perkins particular people and their practices re: the dead, but I don't think many people would be happy about the first indigenous australian to graduate from uni in australia being painted by the guy who made this:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Not sure about Perkins particular people and their practices re: the dead, but I don't think many people would be happy about the first indigenous australian to graduate from uni in australia being painted by the guy who made this:

Oh right. Excuse me while I uh... urrrrr.... hnnngggg... :barf:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

We thought that's what all the budget leaks were and then it turns out no that's their actual policy so :iiam:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-01/abbott-rules-out-expansion-of-income-management-measures/5640280

You know they're going to do it when Abbott says poo poo like that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

You see, Gaza is a lot like Rorke's Drift.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 1, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

You see, Gaza is a lot like Rorke's Drift.

But I thought Hamas wore green, not red?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
On the subject of awful political cartoons, this is in the Tele today

Ugh.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Has Bill Leak ever been in trouble much like Andrew Bolt?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Has Bill Leak ever been in trouble much like Andrew Bolt?

According to wikipedia he was hanged 11 times by the Archibald's, but sadly it seems the rope never stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
I have never contributed to these threads, because I often have to skip pages of posts to keep up. My opinions don't always echo those of others in this thread, but I appreciate having a go-to resource that isn't fact bereft murdochracy or FYGM work associates.

• Locked thread