Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Glen Druery got fired from his position as Ricky Muir's chief of staff :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those little smarmy taglines on the bottom make me think of those purposely lovely cartoons from The Onion. You have to really try hard to make them half as terrible.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
So I haven't been keeping up with politics and Ctrl+F didn't find anything in the last 30 pages of the previous thread.

But how on earth did this happen in a state run by conservatives?

Victoria bans religious groups from running prayer groups, handing out Bibles in state schools

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Kelly is awesome

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

AccountingNightmare posted:

So I haven't been keeping up with politics and Ctrl+F didn't find anything in the last 30 pages of the previous thread.

But how on earth did this happen in a state run by conservatives?

Victoria bans religious groups from running prayer groups, handing out Bibles in state schools

I'm sure I've seen that amazing magazine cover on Auspol before.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

webmeister posted:

Kelly is awesome

Haha, I only just noticed the liquor bottle in that one now that I reposted it here.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I just put you on ignore. cheers

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Zenithe posted:

I'm sure I've seen that amazing magazine cover on Auspol before.

"How to attract Godly Girls" Wow, can't go wrong with this poo poo.

I always wondered why the young christian workmates I had were socially inept as gently caress (like reddit level) and this is a pretty good insight into why.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ablo posted:

The search for a scapegoat, according to former US President Dwight D. Eisenhower, is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.

As we learn more about the political narrative of the Abbott government, I worry that Tony Abbott’s zeal to appear tough is causing him to hunt those with the least power to defend themselves – pensioners and the unemployed.

I’m losing count of this government’s attacks on people in receipt of a government benefit. Disability pensioners are being targeted regularly, with newspaper reports creating anxiety that they will be cast aside. At the same time the government is cutting health funding, something of critical interest to people with disabilities or chronic illness.

Unemployed people are told they have to fill out 40 job applications a week or lose the dole. At the same time the government has reduced spending on training. Programmes like Youth Connections, that enabled disadvantaged young people to move through education to work, have been cut. Cuts to apprenticeship support are short-sighted and cost not just individuals; but the economy as a whole. A skilled workforce is a productive workforce.

I’m sick of hearing Joe Hockey beat his chest and declare the end of “the age of entitlement’’. It’s a term that comes with the unspoken suggestion that recipients of government assistance are somehow conniving to receive something to which they are not entitled.

The introduction of this type of scapegoat terminology – designed to malign all welfare recipients – has encouraged tabloid newspapers and radio shock jocks to resort to terms like “bludgers’’ and “rorters’’.

The truth is that most welfare recipients are not bludgers but honest people doing their best in difficult circumstances. It’s time for a more serious debate on welfare – one that goes beyond dog whistling and demonisation of the poor.

As a society, we owe it to ourselves to help people work if they can. There is dignity in work, as well as empowerment. Higher workforce participation reduces the call on the public purse and also generates greater economic growth – a benefit to the entire nation.

However, we need to abandon the ugly rhetoric and start from the proposition that there are people who aren’t in the workforce through no fault of their own. If we put aside politics for just a moment, most people would accept that our shared values of decency demand that people down on their luck receive support rather than vilification.

Maybe their marriage broke down and they are struggling to raise children alone. Maybe they are sick and genuinely unable to work. Maybe they have a mental illness. Maybe they are homeless. Perhaps they are over 50 years of age and have been made redundant and are unable to find anyone who will give them a shot at a second career.

Whatever their circumstances, people receiving welfare deserve neither disrespect, nor this government’s transparent attempts to punish them for their misfortune, with ever more tests to maintain their payments.

Hundreds of people in my electorate in Sydney’s inner west are on disability pensions because they are literally unable to work. Many sole parents would love to work but their circumstances and their responsibility to raise their children make work difficult. Such people endure a daily struggle to overcome their circumstances and raise their children to become educated so they can escape the poverty trap.

That’s something to be applauded. Instead, the current rhetoric of the government tries to make people feel as though they’re lazy or burdensome. That’s just not fair. It is completely disrespectful. The approach of the current government appears to be punitive, rather than helpful. The very last thing elected representatives should do is encourage working Australians to treat welfare recipients with suspicion or hatred.

The former Labor government faced the same issues about the structure of the workforce as those being grappled with now by Abbott. Sometimes Labor got it wrong – such as with the extension of the Howard government’s changes moving more single parents onto the Newstart program.

Entrenched unemployment and welfare dependence are very difficult to address in a policy sense. Labor’s starting point was and remains that people who are disadvantaged need help, not character analysis from politicians looking for headlines.

The role of government in this area is to provide opportunity through better education and training options, and ensure jobs are available through economic growth. Yet the Abbott government seems unable to discuss these issues without treating such people as cannon fodder in its rhetorical war against any and all government spending.

Earlier in the year Hockey, anxious to demonstrate his desire to end the age of entitlement, complained that some single mothers could access up to $55,000 a year in benefits. As it turned out, the Department of Human Services refused to endorse the figure.

In any event, one of the benefits the treasurer used to reach this figure was the jobs education and training child care fee assistance, worth up to $15,120 and designed to help single parents access child care while they attend university to make themselves employable.

Hockey wants to have it both ways. He wants to attack single mums for being unemployed and then attack them again if they dare to access government benefits designed to make them employable. His unspoken message to these parents is that they should feel bad about trying to improve their circumstances.

The treasurer seems to be more interested in promoting resentment of single mothers than in actually helping them into the workforce. Elected representatives need to understand that whenever they attack pension recipients in the hope that this will jolt them into the workforce, their comments have the reverse effect.

Being told indirectly that you are a lazy piece of scum malingering on the public purse does little to improve a person’s confidence, so important to attaining employment. No-one deserves to feel attacked in this way. As another former US President, Bill Clinton once said: “‘We’re all in this together’ is a better philosophy than ‘you’re on your own’.”

Also he seperately described the assault on Gaza as "Collective punishment"(This is a very loaded and deliberate term in regards to talking about war crimes), and completely unacceptable.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Reckon Ablo might be circling the wagons around Blop Snogdon?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Where is that article from? 'Ablo' means nothing to me.

e: Oh, Albanese. Right. But is it so hard to post a link? Where did that come from?

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/01/welfare-recipients-arent-bludgers-and-they-deserve-respect-from-joe-hockey?CMP=soc_568

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/01/anthony-albanese-says-israels-gaza-assault-is-completely-unacceptable?CMP=soc_568 for the gaza comments

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Reckon Ablo might be circling the wagons around Blop Snogdon?

We can only hope

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cheers

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Pyne actually made an even bigger turd of himself:

The Arsetralian - Why would you give these fuckers clicks?

A Free and Fearless Press posted:

Terror laws could reverse onus of proof

AAP AUGUST 01, 2014 11:14AM

THE Abbott government is considering tougher laws that reverse the onus of proof in terrorism cases, warning that returning jihadists are a growing security threat. LIBERAL frontbencher Christopher Pyne flagged the possibility of an onus of proof reversal on citizens returning from countries in civil war and said the government was "disgusted" with terrorists fighting overseas. The changes would mean Australians returning from those countries would need to explain what they had been doing. Prime Minister Tony Abbott refused to detail the changes, but said the government would do everything it reasonably could to stop jihadists returning. "We do not want people who have been radicalised and militarised coming back to this country," Mr Abbott told reporters on Friday.

The government estimates about 60 Australians are fighting abroad, and several others have returned. Mr Pyne said the return of "murderous terrorists" involved in the "atrocities of Syria and Iraq" were a serious threat to security. He said reversal of the onus of proof would likely come with a "risk" ranking system. Those who had been "hanging out in country Syria" for several months would need to properly explain themselves. The Australian Greens say the proposed changes could mean humanitarian workers and journalists would have to prove they are not criminals. Greens senator Penny Wright said she was concerned the laws could permanently erode human rights.
The government introduced the first tranche of new anti-terrorism laws on July 16 and the second is expected to go to cabinet within weeks. The ABC has reported arrest warrants have been issued for two Australians fighting for a banned terrorist group in Syria and Iraq.

:cb:

Palmer is calling for our AFP to be recalled from the Ukraine.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2014/s4058470.htm

quote:

almer: AFP should return from MH17 investigation in Ukraine

Naomi Woodley reported this story on Friday, August 1, 2014 08:05:00

CHRIS UHLMANN: Foreign Minister Julie Bishop is in Kiev trying to clear political road-blocks for the investigation team. And she said Australian officials will stay in Ukraine until all the bodies are recovered. But the leader of the Palmer United Party, Clive Palmer has called on the Government to bring the Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers home. He says it isn't worth risking more lives in a warzone to recover the bodies of up to 80 victims which remain at the site.

From Canberra, Naomi Woodley reports.

NAOMI WOODLEY: After days of negotiations in Kiev, the Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop finally had some progress to report when she spoke to Lateline from the Ukrainian capital.

JULIE BISHOP: An advance party of two Dutch and two Australian investigators were able to reach the site by a different route from those we'd tried previously and this was done in conjunction with the Ukrainian government and with the separatists.

NAOMI WOODLEY: After four previous attempts, the European monitors who are co-ordinating access to the crash site, last night found a way into the contested area.

JULIE BISHOP: And we hope that we've now established a pattern through this alternative route.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Julie Bishop says it is still a very dangerous mission. The police have had to move through an active war zone, and shelling can be heard from the site. Given those conditions, the leader of the Palmer United Party, Clive Palmer is now calling for the AFP to return home.

CLIVE PALMER: The Foreign Minister, the Prime Minister has done all they could do and it's now time to bring people home because they're at risk.

NAOMI WOODLEY: The Government says though up to 80 bodies are still somewhere on the site, yet to be recovered. Why shouldn't every effort be made to return those victims home?

CLIVE PALMER: Well, because I think we've got to face the fact that we've lost people over there and nothing will bring them back to life, but we don't want to endanger more people by putting at risk the people that are over there.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Would you prefer to see an armed mission, to see the Defence Force or police with arms trying to make this mission instead of the unarmed force that's been trying to get there at the moment?

CLIVE PALMER: No, I just don't think it's realistic really to have a lot of people who are alive worry about recovering remains that's going to put anyone's life in danger to be honest with you. I just can't see the point of it, and certainly we don't want armed people there because it will only provoke an incident and that's not what we want.

NAOMI WOODLEY: He spoke to AM before the advance team had reached the crash site, but he says the safety of the unarmed officers is paramount.

CLIVE PALMER: Yeah, I just think we know that it's a warzone and we don't want to have Australians in a war zone if they can avoid it.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Tony Abbott says he's still optimistic that they will be able to get through and they will be able to recover those remains. If they are able to get through tonight or in the next couple of days, is it worth them persisting?

CLIVE PALMER: No, I think you got to get them out of there as long as there's fighting taking place, their lives could be at risk. I'm very reluctant to say this, but we've got to protect these people before something happens to them.

NAOMI WOODLEY: And you don't think there's any useful evidence that could be gathered at the site to aid the investigation into just what happened?

CLIVE PALMER: Well, I just think that's rubbish to be honest with you. We know the rebels shot it down and I don't think anything you find at the site will change that view that people have got.

CHRIS UHLMANN: The Member for Fairfax, Clive Palmer, speaking to Naomi Woodley.
If the AFP do return I hope they are required to prove that they aren't war tourists.

Forrest for the trees? The horror of the Basics card being put into white hands does nothing more clearly than demonstrate it's current roll out for the transparently racist shite it always was. Thanks Twiggy I guess.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Hmmm, what is a bigger threat, 60 people who might be terrorists, or a state deciding that you must prove that you were not guilty of a crime rather than them having to prove that you were guilty.

edit: And don't worry Cartoon, I am entirely confident that the unpopularity of the idea of spreading the basics card will lead to its removal from indigenous communities lol

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
So a month ago I resubmitted an application for Austudy after payments were inexplicably cancelled due to "lack of identification".

Went in and submitted ID, was granted the highest possible level of access to online services, which requires *more* identification than a standard application.

Two weeks later, and I get notification that my application has been rejected due to... wait for it... lack of identification.

Now I get to set aside the uni work I'm doing today after collapsing into an anxiety ridden mess to go into an office and politely ask for a review.

100% bludger

:suicide:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
did you use a learner's permit for id? they might have misread and thought it said leaner's permit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Good news everyone

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/unpopular-uni-debts-likely-to-be-reversed-20140731-3cx9c.html

quote:

The federal government is expected to ditch one of its most controversial budget measures - the plan to apply real interest rates to student debts - following advice from the architect of the HECS repayment scheme that it is unfair to poor graduates.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Getting angry and protesting never did anything you should instead enact real change by

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gough Suppressant posted:

Getting angry and protesting never did anything you should instead enact real change by

gunfire

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Great news!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Regarding the psychoactive drugs laws that came up in the end of the last thread, does that clown not realise golden wattle contains DMT? It'd be pretty loving funny if they accidentally banned the national emblem.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
if he had a shred of decency he would have resigned, what a farce.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/01/queensland-judges-snub-chief-justice-tim-carmodys-welcome-ceremony

quote:

Not a single supreme court judge turned up to a public welcoming ceremony for Queensland’s controversial new chief justice.

Tim Carmody has urged observers not to make too much of the apparent snub, which follows weeks of controversy over his promotion, saying he wanted a low-key, informal affair.

But he verged on tears as he spoke of the distress his family had endured as critics attacked his capacity to do the job.

“I am sorry that my appointment has caused you distress,” he said during the ceremony in Brisbane’s largest ceremonial court. “I have learnt a valuable life lesson. To be truly free, you have to forget what other people think or say about you.”

The 58-year-old former chief magistrate has enjoyed a meteoric rise under the Newman government. In June he was promoted from chief magistrate to chief justice, despite not having served on the supreme court.

Senior legal figures have been highly critical of the appointment, questioning his experience and noting his lack of peer support. Some critics have also suggested he is too close to the government.

Carmody told those gathered for the ceremony that he would seek to build strong relationships and lead with impartiality.

“It is imperative that a proper distance is maintained between the executive and the lower courts,” he said.

“Whatever general concerns may have been held or expressed in the past about me, I will, without apology or fear, be a fierce and formidable warrior against any threat to that independence, whether it comes from within or without.

“I will work hard every day of my tenure to prove worthy of the trust and confidence placed in me.”

Carmody was welcomed at the same time as new supreme court judge Peter Flanagan. Empty chairs surrounded them where supreme court justices would normally sit for ceremonies.

The new head of the Queensland bar association, Shane Doyle QC, said Carmody would have the respect of the bar, many members of which attended Friday’s ceremony.

“It [the appointment] has not been uncontroversial,” he told the ceremony. “That controversy is now, or should now be, in the past.

“Public confidence in the court requires it. You have the support of the association,” he told the new chief justice.

Doyle took over as head of the bar association after Peter Davis QC quit the role, alleging confidential discussions about the appointment of the next chief justice were leaked by the state attorney general, Jarrod Bleijie, or one of his staffers.

Bleijie denied that he or anyone from his office leaked details of that meeting.

Addressing criticisms that Carmody lacked the experience to be the state’s top judge, Bleijie told Friday’s ceremony that seniority was an important factor but he also said such appointments must be made on merit.

“Justice Carmody is well equipped to consider and deliver the next wave of reforms and innovation,” he said.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think it's in response to all the new synthetic. Most drugs are listed as banned by their chemical composition. So when the chemists make a new drug e.g. syntheitc marijuana, "legal highs" or the dreaded bath salts they are not automatically illegal.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Once upon a midnight Druery, while I pondered, weak and Muiry,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten law

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my Senate door.

"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my Senate door
Only this and nothing more."

Quoth the Guardian, "Nevermore".

(partial credit to Bompacho for this)

Les Affaires fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 1, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Queensland judges snub chief justice Tim Carmody's welcome ceremony
Campbell Newman appointee on verge of tears speaking about his controversial elevation’s effect on his family

Not a single supreme court judge turned up to a public welcoming ceremony for Queensland’s controversial new chief justice.

Tim Carmody has urged observers not to make too much of the apparent snub, which follows weeks of controversy over his promotion, saying he wanted a low-key, informal affair.

But he verged on tears as he spoke of the distress his family had endured as critics attacked his capacity to do the job.

“I am sorry that my appointment has caused you distress,” he said during the ceremony in Brisbane’s largest ceremonial court. “I have learnt a valuable life lesson. To be truly free, you have to forget what other people think or say about you.”

The 58-year-old former chief magistrate has enjoyed a meteoric rise under the Newman government. In June he was promoted from chief magistrate to chief justice, despite not having served on the supreme court.

Senior legal figures have been highly critical of the appointment, questioning his experience and noting his lack of peer support. Some critics have also suggested he is too close to the government.

Carmody told those gathered for the ceremony that he would seek to build strong relationships and lead with impartiality.

“It is imperative that a proper distance is maintained between the executive and the lower courts,” he said.

“Whatever general concerns may have been held or expressed in the past about me, I will, without apology or fear, be a fierce and formidable warrior against any threat to that independence, whether it comes from within or without.

“I will work hard every day of my tenure to prove worthy of the trust and confidence placed in me.”

Carmody was welcomed at the same time as new supreme court judge Peter Flanagan. Empty chairs surrounded them where supreme court justices would normally sit for ceremonies.

The new head of the Queensland bar association, Shane Doyle QC, said Carmody would have the respect of the bar, many members of which attended Friday’s ceremony.

“It [the appointment] has not been uncontroversial,” he told the ceremony. “That controversy is now, or should now be, in the past.

“Public confidence in the court requires it. You have the support of the association,” he told the new chief justice.

Doyle took over as head of the bar association after Peter Davis QC quit the role, alleging confidential discussions about the appointment of the next chief justice were leaked by the state attorney general, Jarrod Bleijie, or one of his staffers.

Bleijie denied that he or anyone from his office leaked details of that meeting.

Addressing criticisms that Carmody lacked the experience to be the state’s top judge, Bleijie told Friday’s ceremony that seniority was an important factor but he also said such appointments must be made on merit.

“Justice Carmody is well equipped to consider and deliver the next wave of reforms and innovation,” he said.

I cannot begin to describe what a huge gently caress you this is.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Amethyst posted:

Why is Twiggy Forrest's idiotic plan to put all welfare recipients on income management getting so much press? Is this Liberal strategy? Publicize something horrible so their own policy looks mild in comparison?

The Libs MO lately has been to 'leak' stuff out and then gauge the public reaction.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Background briefing did a great story on Carmody's appointment, and the fuckery of the Newman government in general

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/could-campbell-be-the-new-joh/5618458

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahaha I had no idea that the actual name for the anti-bikie laws was V.L.A.D.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Hahahaha I had no idea that the actual name for the anti-bikie laws was V.L.A.D.

You thought campbell was talking about this imaginary friend?

Edit: Bob Day might be good for something afterall:

quote:

Builder-turned-Senator Bob Day sinks boot into developers

Millionaire Family First senator Bob Day is in the process of selling off his stake in the national building empire he founded almost 40 years ago as he fights the property industry interest groups he says have created a housing affordability disaster.

Senator Day – founder of South Australia-based Homestead Homes and Home Australia, which owns large building companies in Western Australia, Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales – met Treasurer Joe Hockey on Wednesday to put his concerns about a generation of young people hit by harsh unemployment policies and priced out of the housing market.

The former president of the Housing Industry Association said his family trust is in the process of disposing of his shareholdings in the businesses – reported to be worth $80 million – as he steps up his lobbying to weaken the political influence of high-density property developers and land developers. “This [his political career] is more important now,” Senator Day said.

“When you look at the problems of youth unemployment and housing affordability, to quote Bert Kelly, it’s going to take my every waking moment for the next 20 years.”

Senator Day described sections of the property industry as “carpet-bagging, rent-seeking bootleggers” who used political donations to wield ­influence to restrict land supply and drive up prices of high- and medium-density apartments.

He likened the relationship between the property industry and politics as to the economic theory of the “baptists and bootleggers” of the 1920 ­Prohibition, in which both groups favour regulation for opposing reasons.

Senator Day, one of the new ­independent senators whose vote is crucial to the Abbott government’s budget plans, wants fewer restrictions on town planning.

He said the suburban sprawls at the edges of capital cites were unfairly demonised and were less harmful ecologically than high-density housing.

In his submission to the Senate’s housing affordability inquiry – which heard evidence about housing tax breaks from Treasury officials this week – Senator Day said politicians received donations from property developers keen to maintain scarce land supply, resulting in higher ­property prices. “The MPs then publicly support urban planners who rail against the so-called evils of urban sprawl, none of which stands up to scrutiny,” Senator Day said.

Donations from the property industry did not need to be banned from the political world, but politicians should not be influenced by them, he said.

Senator Day said Australia faced a future in which a generation would be forced to retire without the financial security of owning home or the safety net of the age pension.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 1, 2014

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

SynthOrange posted:

"I have killed peasants men and women, old and young, who lived at Oblucitza Brisbane and Novoselo Townsville, where the Danube Ross flows into the sea."

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 1, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

You thought campbell was talking about this imaginary friend?

quote:

He said the suburban sprawls at the edges of capital cites were unfairly demonised and were less harmful ecologically than high-density housing.
How does one come to this conclusion when you include the carbon costs of building multiple homes versus a single building with a number of apartments, as well as the pollution of people living on the fringes usually having to travel to work in a car or having to travel in a car to public transport?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
When you've built your fortune on McMansions.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You Am I posted:

How does one come to this conclusion when you include the carbon costs of building multiple homes versus a single building with a number of apartments, as well as the pollution of people living on the fringes usually having to travel to work in a car or having to travel in a car to public transport?

It's a lot easier when you're not bound by the strictures of reality.
http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/figures/population-density-and-energy-consumption-selected-world-ciites
https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch8en/conc8en/urbanenergy.html

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

You Am I posted:

Last semester I did a major assignment advocating high density development in Adelaide; I couldn't find a single paper that contested the general rule that density is inversely proportional to environmental impact.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

You Am I posted:

Higher-density has greater energy costs per unit area, so therefore

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Trip report:

... they of course, went through everything with a fine toothed comb to try and prove that the fuckup was mine, not theirs.

I pulled :psyduck: face and only raised my voice once, though. When they tried to suggest that I should bring in my Year 12 report from fifteen years ago as they "weren't sure" if a signed, sealed and dated statement of academic record from my current institution of learning counted as an educational report.

I THINK YOU BETTER CHECK THAT, THANKS. PRETTY SURE THIS LEGALLY FITS THE DEFINITION, GIVEN IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS "UNIVERSITY" RIGHT THERE ON THIS LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTATION YOU SHOWED ME.

Saving grace and sympathy time came when the guy had to call the centralised office that deals with Austudy applications and they grilled him about the documentation just as hard.

"Yes, it's not a copy. I'm looking at it right now. No, I'm positive, it has a holographic seal."

"Yes, it was scanned into the system" x 500

*across the table, I gives a thumbs up and sympathetic smile*

Review is underway, expected to hear from them on Monday.

FUN TIMES. If I didn't still have savings, I'd be hosed. How do non-privileged people work within this system?

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 1, 2014

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

e: Oh, Albanese. Right. But is it so hard to post a link? Where did that come from?

twitter.com/rudd2000 you're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jumpingmanjim posted:

He was in the local hills paper expressing outrage over out of touch pollies who have no inkling of how life exists outside of corridors of power.

• Locked thread