Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Business head calls for fewer uni students

quote:

Australian universities are enrolling too many domestic students who should opt for vocational education and training instead, a leading business figure says.

Catherine Livingstone, the new Business Council of Australia president, said a large number of school leavers would be better off undertaking education and training that gave them job-related and technical skills first.

At an Australia-Israel Chamber of Commerce lunch in Sydney last week, Ms Livingstone gave her first major speech as BCA president to argue that building innovation infrastructure would ensure a strong and competitive economy in a rapidly changing world. She said better teaching of science, technology, engineering and mathematics was an essential part of this push.

In an interview she said urgent intervention was needed in the education and training system as early as kindergarten, to protect future prosperity.

Now I'm certainly in favour of vocational training. We're not all going to be engineers doctors lawyers or scientists. But when you take away vocational training funding and demand the private sector cover the short fall, you're not going to get much sympathy for this kind of yap. If it's not a class war you're waging, why not actually boost funding not cut it?

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SynthOrange posted:

We're all gonna die

No, your children will be. I already have my vaccinations. FYGM

ewe2 posted:

[url=http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/business-head-calls-for-fewer-uni-students-20140803-zzx27.html]Business head calls for fewer uni students

Now I'm certainly in favour of vocational training. We're not all going to be engineers doctors lawyers or scientists. But when you take away vocational training funding and demand the private sector cover the short fall, you're not going to get much sympathy for this kind of yap. If it's not a class war you're waging, why not actually boost funding not cut it?
[/quote]
What is going on with so many people talking at Israeli hosted events recently?

People should really ignore what comes out of organisations or institutes like the IPA, BCA and other self interest groups.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

What is going on with so many people talking at Israeli hosted events recently?

People should really ignore what comes out of organisations or institutes like the IPA, BCA and other self interest groups.

Sorry about the errant BB quote. This kind of connection really destroys the message, doesn't it. Talking about education at a We Support Children-Bombers rally is going to be lost in the WTF.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Captain Pissweak posted:

I thought we were repealing the racial vilification laws? :confused:

It's not vilification when jihadis and tamils are really out to steal our jobs/women/investment properties. It is vilification to point out that Israel bombs people to defend illegal settlements.

I love Hockey's whinging "B...B..BBBBUT THE RICH PAY SO MUCH TAXES!" at the end. That's the point you overblown high street number cruncher, they pay taxes because they earn so much loving more than the rest of us, ergo they can afford to kick something back into the pot to pay for all the social resources that allow the rest of society to pay for what they're hawking. If you don't have welfare then all the guys with three Woolies franchises, or two NQR's, suddenly lose a shitload of customers, which is bad for business. A solid social infrastructure makes sure that the economy works because the rich don't hoard against the revolution and the poor don't live in perpetual fear of dying in a ditch. But you forgot the second part.

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/03/victims-britains-harsh-welfare-sanctions?CMP=soc_567 I read this this morning, and I realized that to me, the take home message was that the system was incredible cruel. To a tory, the take-home message is that the guy's sister is cruel for not endeavoring harder to help him. Everything in their policies indicates it.

It's seriously like listening to ancien regieme aristos defending the poor paying all the tax. After all, the poor use so many public services, why shouldn't they pay? Now they're literally proposing a loving corvee on the unemployed. I knew Parliament House was such a meandering clusterfuck for a reason!

Bomb-Bunny fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 4, 2014

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/budget-cuts-hit-lowestincome-earners-hardest-says-treasury-20140803-zzwhz.html

quote:

The federal government delivered its May budget fully aware its spending cuts would hit poorer households much harder than wealthier ones, a Fairfax Media freedom of information request has revealed.

Treasury numbers released to Fairfax Media back private modelling showing the cuts were sharply inequitable, a contention repeatedly played down by the government.

The budget has been widely criticised as unfair, and a hostile reception from the public led to a slump in the polls for the government. Many of its measures are being blocked by the Senate, with Treasurer Joe Hockey frantically negotiating with crossbenchers to salvage the budget.

The Treasury analysis reveals the spending cuts cost an average of $842 a year for lower income households, while the average high income family lost just $71. Middle income families were down $477.

Partly offsetting the skewing of spending cuts towards low earners was the temporary deficit repair levy for those earning above $180,000 a year.

The Treasury modelling says the average high income family would pay an extra $446 a year in tax; middle income families an extra $15; and low income families only $2 a year more.

The combined effect is that an average low income family loses $844 per year in disposable income (earnings after tax and government payments) due to the budget. Middle income earners forgo $492; while a high income family is down by $517.

The Treasury analysis is simplistic. It does not account for the effect of changes such as the proposed $7 Medicare co-payment; fails to account for inflation, and is for only one year – 2016-17 – of the budget estimates. As such, it understates the disproportionately negative impact of the budget measures on poor families compared to wealthier ones.

For example, in 2017-18 the deficit repair levy will be abolished and high income earners will be much better off. Also in 2017-18, the full effects of the cuts to family benefits will be felt.

The analysis was just one of several provided to government in the lead-up to the budget. However, Treasury refused to release two detailed sets of modelling because they were ''brought into existence for the dominant purpose of submission to the cabinet''.

It is understood the 52-page and 21-page submissions starkly showed how less wealthy households suffer far bigger falls in disposable income than richer ones, especially for families with children aged between six and 16.

A spokeswoman for Mr Hockey said the average lower-income household would still receive $12,604 in 2016-17 in cash transfers such as family benefits from the government.

''Our budget aims to make the welfare system sustainable and to reduce $123 billion in projected deficits and debt, heading towards $667 billion without remedial action,'' she said.

''Our budget is focused around building a stronger economy so Australians can experience more and better jobs.''

Mr Hockey hit out at Fairfax Media's report on Monday, saying it was more ''malevolent misinformation'' from Fairfax because it failed to acknowledge the greater amounts of tax middle and higher income families pay.

''That story is wrong because it fails to take into account a range of things like the fact that higher income households pay half their income in tax, low income households pay virtually no tax,'' the Treasurer told the Nine Network.

''It just seems to be a little inconsistent, I saw they were apologising for one of their cartoons on the weekend and there's a lot of misinformation that's coming out and I sometimes its quite malevolent out of those papers.''

Chief executive of the Australian Council of Social Service Cassandra Goldie said the budget hurt most those that could least afford it.

''If this budget stays in place, you will see an acceleration of inequality. You will see a rise in child poverty,'' Ms Goldie said.

''Mr Hockey is asking if there’s an alternative plan for fixing the budget deficit. There are a raft of ideas, starting with the billions of dollars of tax concessions for higher-income earners and wealthy retirees.''

The government’s secrecy about its modelling of the impact of the budget on households is unusual. This year’s was the first budget since 2004 to be presented without detailed tables showing the projected change in the real disposable incomes of different family types.

Australian National University public policy experts Peter Whiteford and Daniel Nethery attempted to replicate the household ''cameo'' tables usually in the budget and found that a single parent with one child aged six on the parenting payment would lose 10 per cent of their real disposable income by 2016-17.

A single person on three times the average wage would lose just 1 per cent of his or her disposable income, they found.

An analysis of the budget by the National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling, commissioned by the ALP, found the poorest 20 per cent of families will lose, on aggregate, $2.9 billion over four years due to the budget changes, while the wealthiest 20 per cent were down only $1.78 billion.

Malevolent Misinformation

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Some actual living people thought joe jockey was "one of the good ones" before anyone gave him any responsibility or power.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You Am I posted:

Nah, I'm fine mate, my kids got their vaccos already FYGM

Grandkids might be hosed though

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

quote:

That story is wrong because it fails to take into account a range of things like the fact that higher income households pay half their income in tax

wat

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
People seem to be incapable of understanding marginal tax rates.

e: plus the last time the marginal tax rate for the top bracket was 50% or over was 1986-87.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 4, 2014

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

adamantium|wang posted:

As if facts and a proper understanding of them matter in todays world.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's cute you think they're accidentally incorrect instead of puposefully lying through their teeth. Australian Politics; Evil or just Dumb?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Both.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Just caught the end of a chunk on the ABC alleging the backbenchers are really concerned and Labor has finally woken up and are doing five weeks of pointing out Abbott's lies till Sept 7, starting with the idea of the unity ticket.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nah, if they were truly incompetent every now and then they'd do something like raise the dole by accident.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

adamantium|wang posted:

e: plus the last time the marginal tax rate for the top bracket was 50% or over was 1986-87.

"People" in this case being the Treasurer of Australia

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I don't think Hockey misunderstands it; rather he's trying to deliberately muddy the waters.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
IMO, real answer is that they are both dumb and ideologues. They think their ideology is good and therefore must result in good things but they are too stupid, entrenched in their ideology and cowardly to actually examine the outcomes it creates or to be able to admit that the results are poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007

WebDog posted:

Just caught the end of a chunk on the ABC alleging the backbenchers are really concerned and Labor has finally woken up and are doing five weeks of pointing out Abbott's lies till Sept 7, starting with the idea of the unity ticket.

So basically more frothing, rabid, ineffectual pap from Blip Smithereen, alleged Leader of something or other. Honestly it's like watching Hewson or Peacock but without and opposing Keating to make it memorable, just dull forgetable dross from a dull forgetable man who can't make even good invective sound believable. I'm not saying that poor old Bill can't sound like he means it, but he can't sound like he wants to mean it. He comes off like a sort of fuzzy middle-manager you're not sure you report to. Really it's all horse-race bullshit anyhow, but Labor can't even make a play for believable on any given day when the born to rules aren't out in top and tails.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bomb-Bunny posted:

So basically more frothing, rabid, ineffectual pap from Blip Smithereen, alleged Leader of something or other. Honestly it's like watching Hewson or Peacock but without and opposing Keating to make it memorable, just dull forgetable dross from a dull forgetable man who can't make even good invective sound believable. I'm not saying that poor old Bill can't sound like he means it, but he can't sound like he wants to mean it. He comes off like a sort of fuzzy middle-manager you're not sure you report to. Really it's all horse-race bullshit anyhow, but Labor can't even make a play for believable on any given day when the born to rules aren't out in top and tails.

Shorten is Bill Hayden, Albo is Bob Hawke, it all makes perfect sense.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look at his steely resolve. Now there's a man of conviction, a man of action, standing up for hard truths no matter what the consequences.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Is the Australian Liberal party a 50' baby crushing the town under its own ignorant power? Or is it Dracula, in control and lusting for blood?

The real answer is probably that the Australian Liberal party is in fact, Duckula. Turnbull is Nanny, Morrisin is Igor.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

QM, BCR, that one fuckhead here who is in the police. I'm thinking about diversifying my skill set. To do this, I'll need to undergo some training. The two areas I'm looking at are getting a sparky's license, or audio forensics. I have talent for both.

QM, how ducked is university looking these days?

BCR, what's the tradesperson market looking like these days. I understand that they've made it harder to become a sparky now and most people fail the tests. I'm not worried about failing, merely hoping that those capable of passing will have more work and less competition.

Police goon fuckhead, how much demand is there for audio forensics? Is it used much by the AFP, ASIO/ASIS, and state police? Are there a lot of people working in the field already? How terrible is it working with our boys in blue?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm sure you'll get some good answers by calling them a fuckhead.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mithranderp posted:

I legit thought that cartoon was depicting Rupert Murdoch.

I always thought it was Professor Farnsworth. It kind of looks like Futurama?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Police goon fuckhead

BB has the best bedside manner

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Don't call a spade a spade! :cry:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Lol bb wants to work for the filth.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Government told Tamil asylum seekers they would be forced onto lifeboats and dropped in the ocean

3 August 2014

Media Release – for immediate release

Lawyers for the 157 Tamil asylum seekers today revealed that Australian Government officers told the group they would be forced to go to India in three orange lifeboats dropped into the ocean somewhere off the coast of India.

Nine adults were instructed in English how to use the lifeboats and told they had to obey Australian Government orders to go on the boats.

The move happened on around 14 July while the High Court proceeding was on foot and after the group had already been detained on the Oceanic Protector for almost two weeks.

“The Government’s willingness to consider forcing 157 men, women and children as young as one onto lifeboats and dump them out at sea makes a complete mockery of the its claims to care for their wellbeing and for safety at sea,” said Hugh de Kretser, Executive Director of the Human Rights Law Centre.

“The clients we spoke to were terrified at the prospect of being dumped in the ocean on lifeboats but were told they had to obey.

“What ever your personal views are on politics and refugee policy, this move was an affront to human decency.

“We have been told that on around Monday 14 July, 9 adults and 2 children were removed from the rest of the 157 in the group. The 9 adults were taken to a number of orange lifeboats and told that they would be put in them and would need to navigate them to India.

“They were instructed in English how to use the lifeboats. All of them speak Tamil and only 1 or 2 spoke a little English. They were told that each boat would have 50-60 people on it.

“When they refused, saying they had no experience in operating or navigating a boat and couldn’t take responsibility for ensuring the safety of the people on board, the officers told them it was an Australian Government decision and they had to obey.

“The 9 adults and 2 children were then separately detained from rest of the 157 for four or five days. Each day they were extremely fearful of what was going to happen to them. Then they were taken back into the three main rooms and reunited with the rest of the group. The entire group was then terrified that at any moment they would be dumped in the ocean.

“It’s not clear why the Government eventually decided not to proceed with the lifeboat plan but the whole episode reveals the desperate measures they are prepared to use regardless of the human cost.

“Secret detention on the high seas, trying to dump families in lifeboats in the ocean, secret overnight transfers, misleading the public, frustrating access to lawyers and to the courts – such behaviour from the Government is trashing the foundations of Australia’s democracy. Respect for the rule of law, open and transparent democracy and fundamental human rights are some of the things that have made Australia the great country it is, but this Government is seemingly willing to trash them all for a few cheap political points in the opinion polls.

“I was struck that despite everything they had been through, our clients thanked the Australian Government for bringing them to the Australian mainland. Now they’ve been secretly transferred to Nauru and given the reports of the state they arrived in, I’m deeply concerned about their wellbeing.

“These 157 men, women and children have been subjected to a level of cruelty and callousness that has no place in modern Australia,” said Mr de Kretser.

The Human Rights Law Centre has been told that:

* The majority of the group are Christians.
* They raised the Virgin Mary flag on the boat to seek her protection for the voyage.
* They are Sri Lankan Tamils.
* They are fleeing persecution in Sri Lanka.
* Some of the asylum seekers arrived in India less than 6 months ago. (We were only able to speak to 15 of the 107 adults on board.)
* The asylum seekers revealed a precarious existence in India where they were denied basic legal rights including being unable to lawfully work, send their children to school or have freedom of movement. (India is not a party to the Refugee Convention.) Some revealed safety fears in India also. (We were unable to explore these issues properly with the 15 clients we spoke to and were urgently seeking proper legal access to all 157 asylum seekers in order to advise them on the option of speaking to Indian officials in Australia.)
* While detained on the Oceanic Protector between around 29 June and 25 July, the asylum seekers were locked in three separate windowless rooms (the 9 adults and 2 children who were separated for four or five days during the lifeboat incident were held in a fourth room).
* They were only allowed out of the rooms for meals and spent around 22 hours day inside the rooms.
* On a number of days they were locked in the windowless rooms for the entire day because the weather was rough.
* They did not know where they were.
* Families were separated – fathers were placed in separate rooms from women and children. Fathers were only able to see their family 3 or 4 times during the on-water detention.

Further points

* The asylum seekers were not permitted to have a change of clothing until we intervened on their behalf after speaking to them for the first time on 11 and 12 July, when they had already been detained for around 11 days.
* Despite Minister Morrison conducting a press conference early on Friday afternoon 25 July confirming they would be brought to Australia, the 157 asylum seekers were not informed of that news until we spoke to them late that afternoon..
* In Curtin Detention Centre, the asylum seekers asked for phone and internet access in particular to let relatives know they were safe. They were told they would have phone access on Saturday 2 August. They were transferred out of the detention centre on the night of 1 August

The Human Rights Law Centre has been working with Shine Lawyers and a team of barristers led by Ron Merkel QC to assist the asylum seekers. We obtained client approval to release this information on Friday 1 August.

The Press Conference Scheduled for 11am on Monday 4 August will proceed: HRLC office Level 17, 461 Bourke St, Melbourne.

More information: Hugh de Kretser 0403 965 340 or Tom Clarke on 0422 545 763 or tom.clarke@hrlc.org.au

This loving government

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

BCR, what's the tradesperson market looking like these days. I understand that they've made it harder to become a sparky now and most people fail the tests. I'm not worried about failing, merely hoping that those capable of passing will have more work and less competition.

If you've got the cash, pay TAFE for the Cert II Electrical Engineering. Its six months where you learn the stuff, before the apprenticeship. If you're lucky you can do a traineeship. Traineeships are shorter and over as soon as you tick the boxes, apprenticeships are four years mandatory. You might want to look into getting a cabling license and going into security systems. Its quicker and pays about $70,000 a year for 45hr shift work a week. Diesel Mechanics, Electricians and Plumbers are still in demand. You'd have to look into what your state wants and trains. If you're going to get trade skills you're going to want to do it with the government, because they're going to treat you better. Adult apprenticeships are pretty hard to find (over 21) because they've got to pay $750ish rather than $500 ish a week. You're also going to have a lot of personality clashes.

BCR fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 4, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BCR posted:

You might want to look into getting a cabling license and going into security systems. Its quicker and pays about $70,000 a week for 45hr shift work a week.

:stare: I need to switch jobs.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I type gud

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

BCR posted:

If you've got the cash, pay TAFE for the Cert II Electrical Engineering. Its six months where you learn the stuff, before the apprenticeship. If you're lucky you can do a traineeship. Traineeships are shorter and over as soon as you tick the boxes, apprenticeships are four years mandatory. You might want to look into getting a cabling license and going into security systems. Its quicker and pays about $70,000 a year for 45hr shift work a week. Diesel Mechanics, Electricians and Plumbers are still in demand. You'd have to look into what your state wants and trains. If you're going to get trade skills you're going to want to do it with the government, because they're going to treat you better. Adult apprenticeships are pretty hard to find (over 21) because they've got to pay $750ish rather than $500 ish a week. You're also going to have a lot of personality clashes.

Thanks BCR, you're a righteous old chum. I'm not looking at anything working for anyone else, just the license to run my own business so I can do jobs on weekends / when in between TV contracts and still have a cash flow.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

QM, how ducked is university looking these days?

Unbelievably hosed

Seriously though it's probably okay if you're not planning to go into academia. If you are, though, here there be dragons.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

You're definately going to have to do it part time through TAFE or council/state then. They're happy for you to do it part time. Private owners want to get the max work out of you, and fully exploit you.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Unbelievably hosed

Seriously though it's probably okay if you're not planning to go into academia. If you are, though, here there be dragons.

Hey "hoping to get into academia" buddy :smith::hf::smith:

I keep seeing ratios of 1 permanent STEM academic position for every 50 or so PhD students that graduate.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Freudian Slip posted:

Hey "hoping to get into academia" buddy :smith::hf::smith:

I keep seeing ratios of 1 permanent STEM academic position for every 50 or so PhD students that graduate.

I've literally stopped making any plans that revolve around getting a job in science in Australia. At this point I'm closer to assuming that I'll try for work in the non-profit sector, hopefully with the Greens.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I've literally stopped making any plans that revolve around getting a job in science in Australia. At this point I'm closer to assuming that I'll try for work in the non-profit sector, hopefully with the Greens.

My partner's doing her Masters, and our only hope is either grunt lab work in pharma or a DNA lab of somekind. Or hitching a wagon to her supervisor, who we're super lucky is a kicking rad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
BB I imagine the various intelligence agencies have a need for audio forensics but I'd think that it's mostly done in-house, which would require a painfully invasive security clearance. And to be honest dude with your posting history I can't see you getting one.

• Locked thread