Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahaha I had no idea that the actual name for the anti-bikie laws was V.L.A.D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Things getting testy at the rally for Palestine outside the Vic State Library, one group yelling 'Support Palestine' while one guy's just yelling 'I'M JEWISH DICKHEADS! I'M JEWISH! I'M JEWISH!'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The Thai surrogate mother of a Down Syndrome baby who was abandoned by his Australian parents says she has been left to provide for the child who also suffers from a life-threatening heart condition.

In an exclusive interview with the ABC's Samantha Hawley, Gammy's mother Pattaramon Chanbua described how she loves the baby boy as if he was her own, but cannot afford the medical treatment he needs.

The 21-year-old impoverished mother fell pregnant with twins but the Australian parents abandoned Gammy and only took his healthy sister home with them.

"Why does he have to be abandoned while the other baby has it easy? ... I feel sorry for him. I don't know what to do," she told the ABC.

:cripes:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Captain Matchbox posted:

Hi thread. I never thought I'd see one of these in the wild, but... I just saw a Facebook/instagram picture with someone dressed up as the Fresh Prince of Belair, complete with blackface.

Called the person out on it, but apparently this still can be defended in tyool 2014?

Remember when blackface was acceptable on Hey Hey? Wait that was only a few years ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, real racism is when abbos do it it's called 'rock art' but when white guys do it it's 'vandalism'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-03/aboriginal-elders-devastated-at-rock-art-vandalism-burrup-wa/5642498

(lmao I didnt even scroll down to read the latest comment which was pretty much that)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're all gonna die

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If global warming, why am I freezing my rear end off?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This loving government

I think I understand why there was so little reaction to this. After all, I could hardly come up with words to express my utter disgust at the callous, cynical and inhumane actions of the Australian government with regards to the treatment of refugees. I find my reactions to the brutality of the Australian government dull and numbed. I hope there are people in Australia that can still feel true anger at these injustices, all I can feel anymore is tiredness and futility. :sigh:
[/quote]

It's like the Howard years again. You can only rage so much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, I'm still thinking about the asylum seekers in lifeboats. What the gently caress. I dont see how that could possibly be a desireable situation for anyone. 150 refugees that have been missing for weeks landing on Indian shores in Australian lifeboats. What.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New D&D subtitle applies here too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh oh, Howard right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Death boats coming

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Taalib posted:

quote:

“It’s seen as collateral damage. The department does what it can to reduce it but in the name of the greater good of border protection and deterrents it doesn’t really matter. We’re saving lives by sending people mad.”

The group drove change. “The department was very pleased to use things that we brought in, so any positive reforms that have gone on in the system in terms of screening people and healthcare and health standards were all done by Dehag.”

But Newman alleges the department later sabotaged medical screening of asylum seekers for signs of torture and trauma. “We argued that no one who had been tortured should be detained or particularly not in remote places. The departmental doctors decided the best way to get around that was not to do the screening, so they didn’t find out who was tortured. They stopped it on Christmas Island so people could be shipped away before it was even known if they were trauma survivors.”

gently caress you Australia. gently caress you all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

"Leadership is about preserving national identity and the essentials and that is why I have taken this position," Mr Abbott said.

Boo! Boo this man!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god the other headline is the father in the surrogate baby mess has a child sex conviction. Yaaaaaay

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like something a noted dogfucker would say.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone post that bolt page with Labour scribbled over with Libs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/aug/05/mystery-over-dead-koala-dumped-in-police-driveway-with-50-in-its-mouth

quote:

“I put my torch on it, and I saw it was a koala,” Von Tunk told Fairfax radio on Tuesday. “It made me shiver, I thought what’s this about, and I thought I was getting set up – the old put a dead koala out in the middle of the driveway situation, and then get ambushed. All sorts of things go through your head.”

Ah yes, the old dead koala trick. Gets them every time.

And I cant believe it's been 20 years since the Tasty raid. I feel old. :corsair:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/05/victoria-police-apologise-to-lgbti-community-for-tasty-nightclub-raid

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 5, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on which lovely uniformed thug is on the train that day though. I've seen plenty of people getting fined for not having a valid myki, even when the station's busted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like Muir's cleaning house.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

When asked this morning if he had given any guarantees to people who want the laws repealed that he would try again in the future, Mr Abbott responded: "It's off the table - it is gone. It's disappeared."

The govt is getting good at disappearing things.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

Yeah, who is that guy? I saw him on ABC this morning and it said he was a representative of the human right commission or some such body.

He's our Human Rights Commissioner. :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the end it wasnt Auspol that got Mills, but ADTRW. :japan:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We warned you about the splits Tones!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're celebrating Mills' month long holiday by tearing each other to shreds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

re: the schoolkids and the neo-nazis:

quote:

Police arrested five of the teenagers at Dover Heights, in Sydney's eastern suburbs, at 3:30am on Thursday after residents recognised them from publicity over the attack.

The teenagers were taken into custody but were too drunk for police to interview.
:australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-07/teenagers-arrested-for-bondi-school-bus-abuse/5654108

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who was it that asked for meta-data to be stored in paper format? I read it a few days ago but didnt save it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

:barf:

welp, that's it for me and Tim Tams

Well, sucks if you're a vegan, but it's been a common dye in basically everything for a long time.

quote:

Cochineal is one of the few water-soluble colourants to resist degradation with time. It is one of the most light- and heat-stable and oxidation-resistant of all the natural organic colourants and is even more stable than many synthetic food colours.[31] The water-soluble form is used in alcoholic drinks with calcium carmine; the insoluble form is used in a wide variety of products. Together with ammonium carmine, they can be found in meat, sausages, processed poultry products (meat products cannot be coloured in the United States unless they are labeled as such), surimi, marinades, alcoholic drinks, bakery products and toppings, cookies, desserts, icings, pie fillings, jams, preserves, gelatin desserts, juice beverages, varieties of cheddar cheese and other dairy products, sauces, and sweets.[31]

Carmine is considered safe enough for use in eye cosmetics.[32] A significant proportion of the insoluble carmine pigment produced is used in the cosmetics industry for hair- and skin-care products, lipsticks, face powders, rouges, and blushes.[31] A bright red dye and the stain carmine used in microbiology is often made from the carmine extract, too.[16] The pharmaceutical industry uses cochineal to colour pills and ointments.[21]

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The laffs keep coming.

quote:

Russia bans food imports from Australia, US, EU

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says it is disappointing that Russia has retaliated over Australian sanctions imposed over the crisis in Ukraine and has promised to assist affected Australian farmers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

BREAKING NEWS Tony Abbott says Australia is working towards tougher sanctions against Russia
says ABC's scrolling newsbar. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lols

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ell oh ell

quote:

Crossbench Senator Bob Day has flagged plans for a private senators bill to revive a proposal for changes to the Racial Discrimination Act.

The Government this week dumped plans to lift the ban on offending, insulting or humiliating people on racial grounds, with Prime Minister Tony Abbott saying they were a "needless complication" in the Government's relationship with the Australian Muslim community.

But Senator Day says he will try to revive the proposal when Parliament resumes later this month, because he says free speech should be protected.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

China Red in Melbourne's CBD already does this. Still plenty of staff around to cart food around and clean up and take orders if you dont want to use the menu.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Splode posted:

It's worth noting that a touch screen like this doesn't really remove jobs, just reduces the duties of the staff. It doesn't even shorten their shifts.

An automated waiter is still a long way off. A fully automated restaurant isn't impossible but it'd resemble a factory rather than a restaurant and would still require staff for security.

It would also cost unthinkable amounts of money to design and build and require extremely expensive workers to maintain it.

Basically "WE'LL AUTOMATE EVERYTHING" is a dumb threat, because if it's possible to automate they would've done it already.

Hmmm, some sort of factory? What if we could get the chefs to prepare food and put it on some sort of... rotating conveyor belt? Crazy I know!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyrav_9Pbsc

Behold the future

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Robots dont form unions.

Yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:black101: ICAC claims a few more heads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

• Locked thread