Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Hmm I actually haven't heard about that.
There's probably a filter on any news involving a Labor Opposition Leader that they forgot to turn off for this particular instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Let's play "Real quote or fake quote!?"

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Kim Jong ill posted:

I don't know who he is, is he going to pop a cap in that rear end?
Which rear end are you referring to?

Wyatt Roy interview posted:

Q. Can you tell why there is only one female in the LNP cabinet? Is it because they aren't considered competent or is One Term Tony really a misogynist?

A. The great strength of the LNP is our diversity. We have farmers, small business people, doctors and former military personnel in our ranks. We are the party seeking much more than a parliament dominated by union organisers or lawyers.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quasimango posted:

How many current Cabinet ministers haven't publicly embarrassed themselves in this government? Bishop? Turnbull? I guess there are ones that no one cares about like Robb and Billson who fly under the radar.
Peter Dutton has continued to remain invisible as Health Minister:

quote:

The Department of Health has moved to allay fears of the Ebola virus' spread to Australia, after the World Health Organisation declared west Africa's epidemic an international health emergency.

Minister for Health Peter Dutton said on Friday that Australia is fully equipped to deal with any suspect case of the virus should it arrive in the country.

"The announcement that World Health Organisation has declared the west African Ebola virus outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern does not change the risk to Australia, which remains very low," Mr Dutton said.

"Incoming flights to Australia have on-board announcements, asking passengers who are feeling unwell with fever, chills or sweats to alert a crew member. Crew members would alert border protection and biosecurity staff for a health follow-up. The health of people who have originated their travel from Africa is also being checked.

"If there is a suspect case detected, Australia has first-class laboratory testing facilities and our hospitals and medical staff are fully prepared and on alert."

The United Nations health agency in Geneva declared the raging epidemic an "extraordinary event" on Friday and called for a co-ordinated international response.

It said that the possible consequences of further international spread of the outbreak, which has killed almost 1000 people in four west African countries, are "particularly serious" in view of its virulence.

Mr Dutton said that Australia's border, health and hospital procedures would protect the Australian public from any imported case of Ebola.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on Friday maintained that Australians should reconsider their need to travel to west Africa, specifically Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. It also notes on its travel advisory that there are several likely cases of the disease in Nigeria.

The WHO's emergency committee said there should be no general ban on international travel or trade due to the Ebola outbreak.

Australia's chief medical officer, Chris Baggoley, was a member of the WHO emergency committee on Ebola.

"In overseeing Australia's national response, Professor Baggoley advises that while Ebola is a very serious disease, it is not highly contagious," Mr Dutton said.

"Ebola is not influenza; it is not caught through coughing or sneezing. It is only caught through contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person or animal."

Earlier this week, the WHO said it would convene a group of medical ethicists early next week to wrestle with questions about the use of experimental drugs in the deepening Ebola outbreak.

EDIT: Relevant Pope

Nuclear Spy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 9, 2014

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Spoiler: It's not Scott Morrison

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Laserface posted:

I'll be in ADL next week although I am not sure if I want to meet people from the internet who may have conflicting opinions to me.
Feel free to join us in the SA Young Greens Social Group. A few of us will be protesting next Thursday when Abbott visits town and we'll most likely grab a beer nearby afterwards.

WAR FOOT posted:

In nicer news, my university Greens Club reformed and they seemed worried we wouldn't get the ten required to remake the club, and more and more people kept arriving as the meeting went on. Sadly the new FB page already has Young Liberals complaining about 'more communists'.

Oh well, still felt pretty good to be there. :shobon:
We have just re-started the Young Greens in Adelaide and we're starting to establish Greens clubs in Universities. Scott Ludlam will be visiting later this month so hopefully we'll be able to use his appearance to springboard membership.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Calico Noose posted:

Not sure if you're talking about roleplaying games or Australian politics ATM.
Just stumbled upon this:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

It's the Ultimate Warrior!

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

The disabled park even features more prominently in the video

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Just started watching this series, bloody brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Won't happen, but my god the tears on his stupid billowing face would be glorious.
It may look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fcGRXBFANA

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Orkin Mang posted:

Sounds like they're circling the wagons around Hockey. Is there any precedent for ditching a treasurer?
If it happens, the SMH can just reuse this headline:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Lid posted:

Last I heard it seems a bit stonewalled as Fairfax is requesting the identities of the rich anonymous donors to that article and the Hockey side is refusing to comply.
Abbott on the Royal commission into union corruption

quote:

"Good unions have nothing to fear from this royal commission,"

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

BCR posted:

Australian PM causes Scottish independence. Australia to become a republic :allears:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Poll taken two weeks ago, I wonder how much worse it would be now:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Laserface posted:

Goons,

Where's the best burgers in Adelaide?
Agree with what's been posted above.

Today we're having a Young Greens meeting in town and likely to be having drinks nearby afterwards if you're in the area. There's also the protests against Abbott this Thursday that a few of us will be attending. Hit us up on the SA Young Greens Facebook group or the Green Goons Group if you're keen.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Anidav posted:

This will ensure no one can outright rely on government payments
Does that include corporate welfare and negative gearing?

Anidav posted:

and cause "maximum employment in all age groups".
Has that been demonstrated to have happened anywhere, along with no negative outcomes?

Anidav posted:

Also we must abolish the minimum wage because business is better at deciding what the minimum wage should be because they are closer to analysing costs moreso than the government ever will be.
Gina said it best when she said we should compete with Africans who work for $2 a day.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Anidav posted:

His experience with the system is "all my best high school friends became bludgers"
Better than saying "all my best high school friends had to commit crimes to survive and now they're all in jail".

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Long story short, it allows rich people to dodge a shitload of tax on their income by throwing it into the property market and claiming losses.
Negative gearing by property investors reduced personal income tax revenue in Australia by $600 million in the 2001-02 tax year, $3.9 billion in 2004-05 and $13.2 billion in 2010-11.
Wow, those numbers seem quite unsustainable, I'd like to see the growth in numbers compared to welfare expenditure shown in this table (source):

And then growth as a share of GDP (source):

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Execu-speak posted:

I'm annoyed at the media calling a protest with no arrests as having 'turned violent' because the protestors pushed over a temporary fence.
I was there for a bit, it was fun booing at the old white men walking through temporary fence to get into the building. A Young Liberal in a suit and blue tie went in that got a lot of heat, a lot of 'Tory Scum!' chants too.

Protesters breach police lines at Tony Abbott oration at Adelaide University

quote:

A police cordon has been breached by some protesters outside a lecture theatre at the University of Adelaide while Prime Minister Tony Abbott was speaking inside.

A big crowd had gathered to express anger about issues including planned changes to university fees, policy on asylum seekers and marriage equality.

After several hours of peaceful protest and chanting, several of the protesters suddenly broke through the police lines and got as far as an alcove of the building.

Another scaled a nearby shipping container.

Police, some on horseback, managed to push the group back beyond a temporary fence which had been erected around the Bragg building.

There was more chaos outside the lecture theatre as members of the audience tried to push through the protesters to leave after the Prime Minister gave the Sir John Downer Oration.
Someone uploaded these photos of a student who was trampled by a police horse

EDIT: I think it would save the budget if we didn't have a government that requires a whole riot squad to protect them wherever they go.

Nuclear Spy fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 21, 2014

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Beetfauxnen posted:

Oh so the turned violent must have meant because of the police. That makes sense.
Some guy ended up doing his own speech in the middle of the crowd and went into a rant about how the police weren't there to protect us. I didn't stay for much longer after that, so I can't comment on how things blew up...

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

blacksun posted:

Can someone re-post the comparison of how many pieces of legislation the current government has passed so far compared to previous governments?
10 months into their parliamentary term, the Abbott Government has passed 103 legislation bills

In comparison:
Number of bills passed (total):

41st Parliament (John Howard): 549
42nd Parliament (Kevin Rudd): 409
43rd Parliament (Julia Gillard): 566

After 260 days...

41st Parliament (John Howard): 15/11/04 - 2/8/05: 180
42nd Parliament (Kevin Rudd): 11/2/08 - 28/10/08: 153
43rd Parliament (Julia Gillard/Kevin Rudd): 27/9/10 to 14/6/11: 163
44th Parliament (Tony Abbott): 11/11/13 - 30/7/14: 103

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Mithranderp posted:

gently caress the PM?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Gorilla Salad posted:

This was the front page of The Age today:

Note that this wasn't from the inside bits or the Extra, it was the actual front page. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a major newspaper have it's entire front page dedicated to a ad.

I mean - it's the front loving page. Isn't that what all good little journos dream of at night? Getting on the front page? Sure, the shine's fallen off in recent years with all sorts of crap being put on the front page, but there's always been a little news of one sort or the other, even if it's something bullshit like football.
Probably hiding some big news like Hockey 'stepping down' as Treasurer, a bit like this front page the day after Rudd announced the federal election.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Soag posted:

hey someone give me the lowdown on andrew robb is he one of the "good" coalition members or one of the ones who deserves to be egged
So Andrew Robb is the current Minister for Trade and Investment Andrew Robb and was previously an Executive Director of both the National Farmers' Federation and the Cattle Council of Australia. Let's have a look at the 100+ Days in Government document and look at trade deals:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Following on from Cormann chat earlier, new Pope:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

quote:

Speaking in Melbourne today, Mr Abbott announced $64 million would go security agencies and community groups.
The package also includes $6.2 million to establish a new Australian Federal Police Community Diversion and Monitoring Team to target returning foreign fighters and their supporters.

Some $32.7 million will go toward a multi-agency national disruption group to investigate and disrupt foreign fighters and their supporters.
Good to see that Budget Emergency™ and increased defence spending are mutually exclusive issues.

Mad Katter posted:

The weapon is part of a program to create a missile that will destroy targets anywhere on Earth within an hour of getting data and permission to launch.
The incident caused an undetermined amount of damage to the launch facility, Ms Schumann said.
Seems like it did its job.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Hockey seems to have aged considerably over the past 12 months...

Being sworn in as treasurer.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Text of the speech that Kevin Andrews planned to deliver to the conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
September thread?

Morrison and Abbott named in International Criminal Court submission

quote:

THE International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague is currently considering a submission calling for an investigation into Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers.

The submission was officially accepted by the ICC on May 19, 2014, and is currently under consideration by the court.

No Fibs has now seen the full submission, however, after advice from experienced investigators, we decided against publishing the document. The advice was publication could harm any possible future investigation. We have published the executive summary (below).

The submission was prepared by lawyer and migration agent Tracie Aylmer, who also does volunteer work in a legal capacity.

Tracie told No Fibs she prepared the submission to ensure international law was upheld and to return humanity to those who have been persecuted.

The submission names:

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott
Minister for Immigration and Border protection Scott Morrison
Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Michaela Cash
Minister for Foreign Affairs Julie Bishop
Former Chief of the Defence Force General David Hurley
Commander of Operation Sovereign Borders Lieutenant General Angus Campbell

The submission calls on ICC prosecutors to use Article 17(2) of the Rome Convention in relation to all onshore and offshore processing. It alleges the Australian government is committing atrocities that are in breach of Article 7 of the convention.

In February this year, the New York Times reported: “Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers sent to offshore processing centers is cruel, inhuman and degrading and it violates international law, the United Nations’ human rights office said”.

In July former director of mental health services at International Health and Mental Services Dr Peter Young gave evidence to the National Inquiry into Children in Immigration Detention.

Young told the inquiry The Department of Immigration and Border protection “asked us to withdraw the figures from our reporting” which showed alarming high levels of mental health problems among young detainees.

The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has been a long-time critic of Australia’s mandatory detention. In 2011 UNHCR regional representative Richard Towle said: “In the Australian context, UNHCR has longstanding concerns that mandatory detention for prolonged periods, particularly in isolated locations and crowded conditions, can quickly impact on the psycho-social health and welfare of asylum-seekers and refugee”.

Kon Karapanagiotidis OAM (@Kon__K) from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre told No Fibs in a statement today: “Under the Abbott Government we have seen for the first time the average time in detention surpass 300 days. The loss of access to legal representation while in detention, a spike in reports of self harm and increased intimidation and pressure to depart Australia while in detention”.

• Locked thread