Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Amethyst posted:

Why is Twiggy Forrest's idiotic plan to put all welfare recipients on income management getting so much press? Is this Liberal strategy? Publicize something horrible so their own policy looks mild in comparison?

The Libs MO lately has been to 'leak' stuff out and then gauge the public reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

No cuts to education, no cuts to health, no change to pensions, no change to the GST and no cuts to the ABC or SBS

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The thing is Bolt would have been nailed harder and faster in a defamation action anyway. The guys research was to Google a person and think, "yep, they look more white then Aboriginal to me". The people involved went the harder route of using 18c as they wanted to demonstrate it was motivated by race.

The repeal would have him been able to say 'look, that law a court said I was in breach of doesn't exist any more so not racist". He couldn't post the exact same thing with 18c gone and no repercussions anyway.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pred1ct posted:

Those racists sure like to pose as the cartoon villains they're fighting against.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Preserving-Islamic-Rights-on-the-Gold-Coast-PIRGC/1451181221817598?fref=nf

The number of people taking it seriously :negative:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

:qq: my free speech :qq: says Andrew Bolt on the front page of the Herald Sun in his nationally syndicated opinion piece.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Aren't we about 10 years late for the overreaching laws to protect us from TERRORISM?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Better then whichever senator it was asking why they couldn't print 'metadata' and store it.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Instead of asking for repeals of laws to make Andrew Bolt not racist why don't these groups push for a federal bill of rights to enshrine these rights? The Constitution was originally written with an assumption a Bill of Rights would follow, wasn't it?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Farmers' work for the dole hours cut to 20

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Considering he phrased it as 'blood and treasure' I think his mindset is more Dark Ages then even fifty years ago.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Serrath posted:

I'll bite; what's wrong with quinoa?

As above it's removing a staple food from regions that need it for the west that don't. It has higher protein then other grains, but protein deficiency isn't really a problem in western diets.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing this one on the Checkout. I was honestly more impressed than anything else.

Maybe it's because I've never had this come up as a personal issue, but I'm not phenomenally against shops and services using my direct history with them to tune things specifically to me. Sellign personal information, okay, that's lovely and I'm against it, but I find it hard to be pissed off at them using the information I directly gave them. Hell, I'm all for it in theory; I'd probably hate ads a lot less if they were about things I actually cared about.

Again, maybe just lack of experience, and I'd change my mind when how it actually works rubs up against me. While it's most definitely more and worse, I'm all for Target going 'yo, you buy a lot of X and Y, our ridonkulous amounts of data indicate that you might also like Z'.

It's probably only a matter of time before these things catch up with consumers. Stuff like medical premiums going up as they assess your lifestyle as more risky from shopping habits. There's also the fact on how lax most institutions are with security when it comes to data. Plus issues with who ends up with the data.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Regarding the Greens' performance at the last election there were a lot of factors against them. Didn't both Liberal and Labour preference them last?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jonah Galtberg posted:

So my dumb political establishment friend said last night that he agrees with the Newstart cuts ("the average Australian should be smart enough to easily have 6 months' worth of savings") and the premise of a budget emergency :suicide:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

BCR posted:

Earlier this year, the annual Lowy Institute poll of Australian attitudes found 40 per cent no longer believed democracy is the best form of government.

The main reasons given were that democracy was serving vested interests rather than those of the majority, and that there was no real difference between the two major parties.

Link.

One of the most important aspects, if not the most important, of a democracy is an informed populace. lovely media world-wide has put the breaks on that

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Who defends Japan's immigration policies?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Been funny would have helped too.

Jokes on them, I would say I was Muslim to get the paper for $1

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

So someone I know said this was an 'intereasting read' from the Bendigo stop the Mosque thing.

It's your usual 'THEY'RE COMING' nonsense, nothing all that special although it mentioned Hizb ut-Tahrir having written a constitution for Australia. This perked my interest so I followed the link and the've saved a copy stating you can check the Hizb site but VIRUSES. Check the site and of course nothing there, but went to the Restore Australia site they linked it from.

They've written their own constitution which totally erases our entire legal system and history :stare:

http://www.restoreaustralia.org.au/petition-ups/DraftConstitution%28Book2%29.pdf

It's enormous, but you can find some fun in there. 19.26 makes it illegal to possess any currency that isn't Australian.

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 14, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

quote:

No person shall be forced to join or belong to a
religious community, to participate in a religious act, to
observe religious practices, to listen to religious noise, or
to follow religious teachings. Freedom from organised
religion shall be guaranteed.

Religious teachings that are contrary to this
Constitution shall be illegal.

The freedom of artistic expression shall be
guaranteed unless it contravenes moral standards.
Moral standards shall be set by society at referenda and
plebiscites.

Hmmm, was this Chris Lilly show contriving moral standards? Ok country, time for a referendum.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

On phone so can't find it, but their taxation section is good too. They want to eliminate all tax to be replaced with a 0.1% charge on every bank transaction. This is a progressive system because the more you spend or move, the more you pay, and totally won't impload if the economy slows.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

CARBON TAX = LIES ELECTION NOW

BUDGET CUTS THAT WEREN'T GOING TO HAPPEN = yeah, that was an unwelcome surprise

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Join the Green Army

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Gough Suppressant posted:

But surely people who are innocent have nothing to hide

That's true and why the success of ICAC will no doubt be expanded federally.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The people voted for fiscal reform, they want to be crushed has hard as possible and this was totally made clear to them before the election. Oh, by the way, record profits from everyone this year

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, it's great how the acts and exemptions stop people from discriminating on the basis of religion whilst allowing religious institutions to discriminate on the basis of religion.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

How will I know I'm not homosexual if I don't try it?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Well you're not going to have any assurance really. You can contract for whatever you like, but if he cannot pay he cannot pay and your issue wont be that, it'll be getting him out of the van and all the issues that can come from the ie he hasn't paid full amount, does he get refund, foriet it leu of rent etc?

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 16, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Mandatory laws just end up been a tool for the DDP anyway, it ends up anyone involved pleading guilty for a lessor offence rather then take the risk and not getting their day in court if there were facts for dispute.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

wow. DPP's have discretion anyway, I guess the only hope is that they only use it where absolutely appropriate

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Adnar posted:

Some of the comments on that "How to Talk Australians" video are class:

:lol:

I forget who it was, one of the Fear of a Brown Planet guys, but they were talking about gigs and how everyone's laughing at the brown jokes, everyone's laughing at the Muslim jokes and then when the white jokes come it all dies down a bit and sounds nervous.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

No arts degrees at the Telegraph then

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I remember reading an interview with Sanderilands and he said he drinks like 4 litres of coke a day. This was like 10 years ago too.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I like how Abbott is a traditionalist and conservative except when it comes to the role of the Senate why won't you do what we want

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Aren't the polls and wires still government owned in all states? Tax upkeep no free market

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Negative gearing is a tax concession. People buy a house with the intention of renting it out for less then the minimum repayments a year. You can then claim that difference against the tax you should have paid and pay less tax. You 'lose' money year after year on the property (which you claim against your tax) as the idea is when you sell it its increased in value so the profit of selling eclipses your loses and you gained all the tax credits you received.
There's a lot of reasons to criticise. It's single handily responsible for the property price increases we've seen as anyone with money or an existing home can easily get a second property, first home buyers and the poor are pushed out. There's also the cost of the lost tax revenues (Howard slashed Capital Gains tax so the pay less when they sell too), at the moment it's something like $15 billion a year just on the negative gearing breaks.

Superannuation tax concessions is receiving a tax break from putting your money into super instead of taking it as wages now. Super is taxed at like 15% up to 50k or something like that, so lower then the marginal tax rates. After that I think it goes up to 30% (till you earn 300k, then it's 40% or something like that), which is still less then the top marginal tax rates. Basically the more money you dump into super you can pay less tax. Great if you are on higher income and can afford to dump money into super, doesn't do much for poor people. Big tax breaks for super, I think it's like $30-$40 billion in lost revenue per year and going up.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Oh and the argument for super is that money will be saved from not having to pay pensions. Of course would someone earning $100k+ have ended up been able to claim a pension anyway? Probably not so the people gaining the most from super will be outside the pension system anyway.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Actually this here is something I should expand on as far as arguing about economics goes.

It's common for us to say neoliberal programs don't work. It's a useful shorthand. It's not actually entirely correct, though. Most of these sorts of programs work. Negative gearing does lower rents. Super tax concessions do make people save more for their retirements. The issue is whether or not they are, on a dollar of government spending or lost revenue basis, more effective than providing these things publicly, and the answer to that is an emphatic no. Unfortunately the right have successfully changed the message to the point where tax breaks are not considered "government spending."

eh, even that's debatable. Rents have increased with the increase of housing prices (people can only eat so much in losses, I think the average is $20k a year) and higher incomes, unless they're completely hopeless with money, will have their retirements covered anyway or certainly have assets to stop them getting the pension.

Depends where you put the goal posts but the publicly stated goals of these programs, I think, haven't succeed. Even if negative gearing did originally lower rents its since been eclipsed and no one tried to pump the breaks years ago when it started overtaking.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

They don't need to scrap it though, just start applying the breaks. No negative gearing on your 3+ investment house unless its a new build in x area, for example.

I think high density housing is one of those things that's just going to take time to sell. Residents are the ones who complain currently; years down the track when it's their inheriting kids looking to cash in and pressures from people as there's just no more housing it's going to go down much easier.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Welfare isn't really high enough for complacency, you can't live on the dole. Welfare kicking is always the unemployed, *my* welfare is the ok stuff.

We know from the last enquiry that pensioners are the largest rorters of the system, but when did you last hear a peep about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

e: It looks like FB got bullied into putting the page back up. I don't know what to do. This is a page that was only a few months back calling for Moslem children to be violently murdered on the street.

Keep reporting the page and various post/comments that are openly bad. Sometimes they moderate, sometimes they don't. Next time they might have a review and they say bad luck.

• Locked thread