Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
When you've built your fortune on McMansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Lol bb wants to work for the filth.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty sure the guy that ran Buildev lived next door to my parents for ages.

When my mum was a kid the family lived next door to George Freeman and one day she and her little brother found a gun and asked his wife if they could play with it. :3:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Sydney Alliance are running a campaign to remove the fee for workers! Sign the petition: http://www.sydneyalliance.org.au/airportfee

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

webmeister posted:

Yeah, Bellevue Hill and St Ives are basically the Jewish hubs of Sydney and they're both listed as South African as well. Maybe a lot of Jewish Australians have South African heritage?

It's weird though, most of my Jewish friends have eastern European heritage eg Hungarian.

I think the higher proportion of South African Jews is that they were more recent immigrants, a lot of Ashkenazi Jewish Australians who live in Sydney are at least second generation immigrants now so the immigrant Jewish population really skews South African.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Also, since Zionism is one of the 13 pillars of Judaism and a nonnegotiable aspect of Orthodox and Conservative religious belief it's not completely unfair to expect that a lot of white Australian Jews are going to be Zionists. And that makes them apartheidists.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Yes I'm loving serious, sorry mate.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Amethyst posted:

That's some pretty shallow and mechanistic thought, Fruity Gordo.

Not really, especially not when you combine it with ten years of being a vocally anti-Zionist member of the Sydney Jewish community.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The only moral genocide is my genocide

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Petition to rename Andrew Bolt 'The Malvern Star'.

Helmets mandatory.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Cultural Marxism.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Jesus was fundamentally against collectivism.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

The thing is, though, that most of the emigrated South Africans did migrate because they didn't want to live in a place that allowed blacks to be in power. That's probably why so many of them came here in the first place.

There are a bunch of chill, awesome South Africans, but many of them are dickheads who fled because they wanted to keep being dirty racists.

Well yes obviously, hence 'more recent'. I thought it was pretty heavily implied.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Haters Objector posted:

I've never met a nice South African

My psychiatrist is a South African Jew and also an irl unicorn.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I hope the PM cracks down on these white blokes.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Nonetheless, an interesting example of what Chomsky called "worthy victims"

Um not really, they're children.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Not dead Palestinian children

No, they're not, you're right. Theyre Jewish children being traumatised by neo nazis on their way home from school. Worthy victims of whatever the gently caress you're talking about.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Yeah look I've read Manufacturing Consent a few times and I'm not particularly daft. Jim is talking dumb poo poo about this bus situation.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Haters Objector posted:

Israel have caused otherwise ambivalent people to become actual anti-semites, in the same way that Al Qaeda have caused people to become Islamophobes

Also this. Not just islamophobes, but just generally more racist towards Arabic and Asian peoples.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Amoeba102 posted:

Well I haven't so I don't know the nuances. How does it not fit for these children to be "worthy victims" in the eyes of some propagandaMurdoch rag?

In my interpretation, you don't apply the concept until there's appreciable media coverage. So, not just when a terrorgraph link has been up for 4 hours. It's about the culture, not one article, and if anyone in the media persists with this story they'll have to admit that they're dealing with white supremacists so it will derail the whole narrative. So these children won't exist in the narrative, but they will exist as traumatised kids outside of it who were manipulated by their parents and propagandists and mocked by idiots for absolutely bullshit reasons which had nothing to do with ensuring their wellbeing.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Not to mention how grotty it is that someone's response to a bunch of preteen kids who go to a religious school getting threatened by neonazis in a metal box is 'hmm problematic that this is reported, reeks of propaganda amirite'

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Gough Suppressant posted:

I am literally weeping for the bourgeoise private health consumers

I'm a bourgeoise private health consumer who has gone into debt to keep paying my premiums in case I need to go to hospital for my manic depression because public wards are suicide factories, do go on.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Spending money on something that shouldn't exist because capital makes you vulnerable without it is ideologically incorrect, now excuse me I have some farts to huff.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I'm making my brother habanero infused vodka for his birthday to take care of some of my weird winter habanero glut. I'm going to keep most of it.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Well our border protection people are pretty good at locking people travelling from the global south in dark, windowless rooms and hoping they die, so basically we're set for ebola.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Payne's parliamentary office staff were interesting after the budget. Because she's a NSW senator she was on my list of angry calls the day after and her staff were surprisingly respectful and helpful compared to all the others I spoke to. She keeps her horribleness pretty close to the vest compared to her colleagues.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Oh god I just googled her and we have the same birthday. Blarg.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
My hope for dialogue, like a fart in the wind. :negative:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
So shockingly retail superfunds have been found to be rorts

quote:

Australians in retail superannuation funds would have to work an extra eight years to achieve the same retirement income as a worker who had made the same contributions to a not-for-profit fund for the past 25 years, new research has found.

The adequacy of super savings is under intense scrutiny as the government proposes to raise the age at which the age pension can be claimed to 70, for those born after 1965, and to defer the planned increase in compulsory superannuation contributions from 9% to 12%.

Industry superannuation funds have seized on the research, by the centre left thinktank the McKell Institute, to argue that the government should allow only “best performing” super funds to be the default funds for the many workers who do not nominate a preference for the super fund that receives compulsory contributions from their employer.

Industry Super Australia’s chief executive, David Whiteley, said it also provided more evidence as to why a bank-run super fund should not become the “default” super fund for employees just because it was also the business bank for their employer.

“With eight in 10 Australians not choosing their own super fund, there needs to be a default super safety net that ensures only the very best performing funds over the long term can be default funds,” Whiteley said.

“Bank-owned super funds are seeking to abolish the safety net and intend to cross-sell their super funds by leveraging existing business banking relationships.”

The McKell Institute did the research to test whether not-for-profit funds had been disadvantaged by being run by trustees from employer groups and unions, in response to a government discussion paper considering whether industry funds should be forced to include “independent” directors on their boards.

It found that the not-for-profit funds had done much better over time, and that based on actual returns over the past 25 years, workers in for-profit funds would have to work much longer for the same retirement income.

The study looked at workers making identical contributions to not-for-profit and retail funds in the 25 years from 1987 and the average actual returns of the different types of funds over that period. One scenario showed it took six years longer for the worker to achieve the same retirement income, and the other that it took eight years longer.

Hypothecated over a 50-year working life (actual returns data is not available for that long), it found that a worker in the retail fund would have to stay on the job between 8 and 11 years longer to achieve the same retirement income.

“Proponents of the federal government’s discussion paper have argued that the involvement of employer groups and trade unions in the governance of these funds were born at a time of high levels of regulation and industry centralisation. They argue that as the structure of the economy has changed so too should the administration models of the superannuation sector.

“However, as this report shows, all the available evidence shows a strong relationship between not-for-profit representative governance and higher levels of return for members,” the McKell Institute says in its paper The success of representative governance on superannuation boards.

The government has backed the argument of the Finance Services Council, which represents for-profit funds, that super funds should have a majority of independent directors like any other company.

Former assistant treasurer Arthur Sinodinos issued the discussion paper last year asking for submissions about “how best to ensure an appropriate provision for independent directors on superannuation trustee boards”.

In June the government succeeded in passing controversial changes to financial advice laws, with the support of the Palmer United party, which Whiteley said allowed banks and retail funds to pay sales incentives to to staff selling super products and to allow commissions paid on super products to automatically continue when a member was transferred into a pension product with the same provider.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/12/superannuation-study-workers-industry-funds-retire-with-more

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I am terrified of 150 Muslims AMA about liberal democracy under capital.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Not mine Reform Judaism owns

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Endman posted:

Who the gently caress says "tu quoque" seriously in an internet argument.

You get four candy canes for tu quoque. You go tu quoque!!

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Those On My Left posted:

I like you, Soag.

Mate.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

rudatron posted:

Charity is not intrinsically faith based, lacking those church groups other kinds of charities would fill the void.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of faith based charity at all. You should be secure enough in your faith to keep your poo poo secular when you're doing humanitarian work. Faith based poo poo is necessarily authoritarian. Plus the record of fbcs vs secular nfps is pretty self explanatory, compare msf to any religious healthcare provider and compare the child mortality rates of populations with Christian missionaries vs even the fucken peace corps

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 13, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
But like yeah, I have to respond to soag and TOML because this poo poo really pisses me off. Do we seriously have to go through some bullshit Ditchkins poo poo again about how religion is regressive and atheism is the light and agnosticism is cowardice or can we just go back to our perennial consensus that religious belief is an inherent part of all humans and necessarily concern the divine or a lack thereof or ambivalence? Because arguing about how anti-homophobic Muslims are essentially apostates according to your assumptions and prejudices against Islam is loving stupid, and so is talking about how there's no point in being a follower of an explicitly progressive iteration of an ancient religion because... what? Give a reason. Science? Science and religion are separate, that is the entire point of the scientific method, to break from the authority of the church to allow for reasonable inquiry in both philosophical directions because they clearly diverge. One is based on empirical analysis, one is based in belief systems. Atheism is a belief system. How many loving times do secular scientists have to say that they are not concerned with god or faith in the work they do about the beginnings of the universe? They are not saying it for the benefit of the fundamentally religious. They are saying shut the gently caress up to the smug atheists who jump on any discovery of the universe to say 'lol where's your god'. God is still everywhere, dipshits. God is in everything because I can't explain how anything exists without it, nor can science, and nor can you. You might not see god in anything but everything I see has something to do with something incredible by virtue of the simple fact that it exists. And existence is marvellous and complex and hosed up and worth it and something caused it all to happen and I call that god.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 13, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Kommando posted:

Hear hear.

:dawkins101:

Please tell me more about the god of the gaps.

You really don't understand much. Show me the cause of the universe, and I'll show you god.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

rudatron posted:

It's not an inherent part of all humans or some aspect of human nature though, pre-civilized faith systems are completely different conceptually from modern ideas of faith. Religion has been, and always will be, historically & materially contingent. When it no longer satisfies its use, it won't exist anymore.

Yeah, it is. I'm not talking about monotheism, I'm talking about creation myths. 'Nothing' is no more valid an idea of a cause of creation than one god or multiple gods. That's why physicists and mathematicians who aren't self-aggrandising and self-promoting dont go out of their way to try to convince the world that there's no such thing as god. Because god means nothing universally, it's an entirely individual belief and authoritarian religions are authoritarian, progressive religions are generally not. Your problem with religion is presumably with authoritarianism, unless you're actually really angry with the idea of people believing something different to you and you feel the need to tell them why over and over again, then you're an authoritarian too.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Why call that God, with all the baggage that word or entails, with all the confusion it can cause, and misunderstandings it can induce? Why not just say "show me the cause of the universe and I'll show you the cause of the universe"?

Because I grew up with a belief in a thing called 'god' and always thought of it as the reason why things are here and I'm not going to change the way I express myself for the sake of some nerds who can't understand the difference between my interpretation of god and what they read in first year philosophy about the first uncaused cause.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Actually Fruity existence is kinda poo poo but that's beside the point, even if one isn't religious it's pretty loving clear that religion is one of the few sources of hope for the billions of impoverished people in the world. Smug technophilia is one of the most bourgeois attitudes I can think of. If you think people wouldn't find reasons to hate and kill each other and ~hold back human progress~ in a totally atheist world then I don't know what to tell you. Extremist religious politics is only one of the many flavours of demagogy. Violence and "backwardsness" will always be more closely entwined with poverty and oppression.

Basically nerds are poo poo

Wish we could upvote posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Splode, what sparked this discussion I'm having was actually soag being an obnoxious shithead and asserting that there was no point to adhering to a progressive reformist religious movement like Reform Judaism. I would have ignored him because soag is a loving idiot about most things that reared deep thought, but TOML agreed with him and that's why I posted WORDS, which ultimately started the current discussion. It has poo poo all to do with the bullshit islamophobia of the previous discussion and is all about just how pathetic Australia is at secular religious education and just how insensitive and fundamentally insensible people who deny that they have faith can be

• Locked thread