Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ewe2 posted:

Today I got a foot in the vocational teaching door with a part-time gig in a community house teaching basic IT to older adults. Well, that is, if we can get 6-8 people interested. It's not much but I get to design the teaching and it's likely to be freeform since interested learners will probably dictate what they want, there's no actual structure to lean on. But I'm stoked to be doing something positive anyway and getting experience! And hopefully I can use that to sell myself to other community orgs!

I do something very similar and it really is ultra rewarding work. Particular when you teach someone how to use Facebook/Skype for the first time and they get really excited being able to talk to friends and family in other cites/overseas. The biggest thing with teaching older adults IT is just getting them over the fear of computers. Kids just jump on and mess around to they learn it usually. Adults, particularly older adults like to get step by step instructions, and will often follow those instructions with out knowing why their doing what their doing, so the information poorly retained. Teaching them something they will use everyday (like facebook) is good as it gets them using the computer more often and makes them far more comfortable with it. Also it can be helpful with social isolation that can be a pretty serious issue with the elderly.

Anyway congratulations, this sort of stuff really can make a difference. Oh and if your looking to get people involved maybe try approaching already existing workshop at the community house (cooking/knitting/art etc) and talk to groups of people there. People are more likely to go to this sort of thing if their friends are going as well, and it keeps them coming back if its a bit of a social catch up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tokamak posted:

Howard taught us that WWI/ANZAC remembrances are rallies where we go and cheer our soldiers who fought for our freedoms; it's like Australia Day for soldiers.

God its always depressing to see people happy cheering away at war remembrance events, or just for war in general.

War is poo poo. Its purpose is pretty much just to destroy lives as fast as possibles. Even those who don't die often carry the trauma of it for the rest of their lives. Why the hell would any one ever cheer for that. Even in the rare wars where some good resulted -and by something good results I mean preventing something even worse from happening, usually a genocide or less directed mass civilian slaughter- that still doesn't make it good, it just makes it slightly less terrible.

Humanity can often be pretty awesome, but some aspects of it are just straight hosed up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orkin Mang posted:

Got a link to the Micallef thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T78N28tYco

It will be good day when Mad as hell is back on the air.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Murodese posted:

So, who wants to guess at the next Liberal leader?

If forcing Howard out of retirement at gun point isn't an option Julia Bishop or Turnbull do seem the likely choices.
Bishop seems to have much more support from the right, but if the polls get bad enough I could see them going with Turnbull basically just becasue of how much distance he's been trying to make between himself and Abott since the election. Try and get as clean a slate as possible.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mad Katter posted:

:siren: GOOD NEWS EVERYONE:siren:

Kyle Sandilands will be ‘dead by the end of the year’, Dr Edward Jackowski claims in New Idea
Don't click, news.com

Disappointed this article had nothing to do with Swans up coming revolution.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The title of Gratten's new article seems to pretty much sum up Palmer at the moment: A climate change convention: Clive Palmer really knows how to mess with Abbott’s mind

Such a brilliantly rear end in a top hat'ish move, announcing a climate change convection immediately after the G20, while at the same time calling the Chinese government Mongral bastards. It really is fascinating seeing how much and little effort he can put into pissing people -and countries- off, apparently just for shits and giggles.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fruity Gordo posted:

Oh I thought we were talking about accumulated wealth.

Kevin Andrews speech mentioned both. ABS just income, although you would assume higher income would lead to higher accumulated wealth. Also women in same sex couples earn a poo poo load more then men in same sex couples over their opposite sex equivalent according to that ABS link.

Also another interesting stat from ABS: 'Same-sex couples also tend to have high labour force participation rates and employment to population ratios. In 2011, 89% of people in same-sex couples were participating in the labour force (either employed or unemployed), compared with 69% of opposite-sex couples.'
So I guess that could be part of whats making the differences, heterosexual are all just dole bludgers.

Given that same sex couples are apparently more likely to be 'wealth creators' It's a bit surprising the LNP isn't more gay friendly.

The fuckers can't even do class warfare right.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

webmeister posted:

My dad maintains that the narrative around Vietnamese boat arrivals was generally "wow these people are brave, risking their lives on such a dangerous journey! Of course they can stay" :smith:

And god we all know how that turned out, what with all the Vietnamese who stole everyone jobs, while living off welfare and bring their violent mystery religion to Australia and never fitting in with 'Australian culture'. God what a nightmare that was, I can totally see why we wouldn't want any more refugees after that mess.

Sort of want to read the right wing newspaper articles at the time to see what was actually being printed at the time. Or was the right of Australia for it due to the whole them fleeing from communist and everything? From what I've read despite some pretty decent general acceptance of the Vietnamese refugees there was still quite a bit of yellow peril/Asians are going to take over Australia crap, going on a the time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Anidav posted:

Australia: Afraid of everything because it knows nothing.

Bolts told us everything we need to know. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kommando posted:

Are we boycotting the new thread?

I heard the new thread is majority owned by Gina Rinehart, in her on going efforts to get into the Australian media.
Andrew Bolt will be instituted as the new moderator by this time next week.

• Locked thread