Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Webb was intimidated by Raheem Sterling manhandling him, couldn't sleep, couldn't get it up, severe PTSD, RIP

The way he handled that was an indication of why he was one of the best refs.

Sterling was loving well out of order and a lesser ref would've tried to save face by booking him or worse.
Webb just does the "really?" face and tells Gerrard to have a word.

Even with his big club bias he was light years ahead of anything else out there in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not sure how bottling it and doing nothing is the mark of a good ref tbh.

Made his career being soft but looking tough with that big bald head.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I reckon howard webb could take anyone in the league except for possibly big rom or drogba

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just wanted to say that I look forward to spray foam shenanigans this fall.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Webb was the only ref in the league who actually looked like he could gently caress players up, sad to see him leaving.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Autumn. gently caress.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Virigoth posted:

Don't even have to wait that long, OP--season starts in a week and a half which is technically still summer!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Webb was the only ref in the league who actually looked like he could gently caress players up, sad to see him leaving.

Old Phil Dowd could probably have done some damage by sitting on some of the smaller players.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

With Webb out its Clattenburg as the big man for the forseeable future then they're hoping Oliver develops into something right?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Michael Oliver owns

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

chuggo is BACK posted:

Michael Oliver owns
He does. He's already the best ref

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

straight up brolic posted:

With Webb out its Clattenburg as the big man for the forseeable future then they're hoping Oliver develops into something right?

Yep, this is exactly it.

Webb's retirement leaves England with only 6 FIFA listed referees (age out in parethesis): Atkinson (2016), Clattenburg (2020), Marriner (2016), Oliver (2030), Probert (2017), and Taylor (2023). Webb's new role will probably be helping England develop young referees that can be FIFA eligible since most of the new guys to the Select Group that do the Premier League tend to be older because of the time it takes to gain experience. Especially after how well Stuart Atwell panned out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lewis Holtby beat up Webb he's all show

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005

Well Clattenburg is refereeing the UEFA Super Cup on Tuesday and Oliver is an 'additional assistant' which I think is one of those twats standing on the goal line so he's in the mix.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It should be a requirement for refs to be physically intimidating. No-one respects dweebs like Mike Riley

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

chuggo is BACK posted:

Michael Oliver owns

Have you two set a date yet?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Blue Star Error posted:

Have you two set a date yet?

Yeah April 20th 2069

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

chuggo is BACK posted:

Yeah April 20th 2069

lmao

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I'll miss the art Webb inspires.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Yep, this is exactly it.

Webb's retirement leaves England with only 6 FIFA listed referees (age out in parethesis): Atkinson (2016), Clattenburg (2020), Marriner (2016), Oliver (2030), Probert (2017), and Taylor (2023). Webb's new role will probably be helping England develop young referees that can be FIFA eligible since most of the new guys to the Select Group that do the Premier League tend to be older because of the time it takes to gain experience. Especially after how well Stuart Atwell panned out.
Wow Stuart Atwell's wikipedia page is just scathing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Attwell

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Virigoth posted:

this fall.
Is that a Steven Gerrard reference?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Semprini posted:

Is that a Steven Gerrard reference?
No. It will always be that fall.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Wow Stuart Atwell's wikipedia page is just scathing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Attwell
it was all down hill from here

quote:

In July 2010, Attwell officiated in Japanese J. League matches for three weeks. Attwell and Anthony Taylor were sent to Japan as part of referee exchange programmes signed between the English FA and Japanese FA

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

it was all down hill from here

I had forgotten about the decision to send Cahill off for fouling Parker, absolutely horrible. Parker was 70 yards from goal and is slow as poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MeramJert posted:

Old Phil Dowd could probably have done some damage by sitting on some of the smaller players.

Uriah Rennie was a tank

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Uriah Rennie was a tank

Also the worst referee I've ever seen.

Webb was always soft on United and I should hate him for that but he was a decent enough ref and seems like a good bloke.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I never would have guessed Webb retiring would have gotten so much press. Here is a thing that shows Points/PPG for his matches in charge.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Howard Webb was the kind of guy who grew up in Yorkshire in the 80s and thought "hmm, I'd really like to be a copper"

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

chaoslord posted:

I never would have guessed Webb retiring would have gotten so much press. Here is a thing that shows Points/PPG for his matches in charge.
Holy poo poo, Liverpool lost 12 of their 19 games under Webb :tinfoil:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cheese posted:

Holy poo poo, Liverpool lost 12 of their 19 games under Webb :tinfoil:

Webb got mostly high profile fixtures, Liverpool were fairly poo poo for a long period of time but still commanded that kind of official in some of their matches, I don't see why this would be some sort of conspiracy.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Super excited for this season- I almost have hope that Jozy can find his form and score again!!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Shrapnig posted:

Webb got mostly high profile fixtures, Liverpool were fairly poo poo for a long period of time but still commanded that kind of official in some of their matches, I don't see why this would be some sort of conspiracy.

Because they have a persecution complex.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Which was the ref that Rogers bitched about that did the City - Liverpool game last year because he was from the Manchester area?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

I think FIFA should make a new rule that if an organisation you're a member of kills a load of one teams fans you shouldn't be allowed to referee that team's games. For example, a member of the Nazi party wouldn't be allowed to ref Israel games. Thoughts?

Strawman fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 7, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

chaoslord posted:

I'm glad the oval office is dead.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shrapnig posted:

Because they have a victim complex and expected to win every match even when they were poo poo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its because football fans are loving morons with a warped perspective who see evidence of bias and cheating even when the most basic explanation and obvious is that they got shown up.

Just flip the United/Liverpool scenario around and look at the Old Trafford fixture last season and you'll see a lot of people complaining about bias there as well. Its the exact same situation, except it happened to a different side.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Are you talking about the United - Liverpool game when Webb stopped giving Liverpool penalties because he felt sorry for United?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
That was Clattenburg not Webb.

poo poo performance from a poo poo ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Because they have a persecution complex.

Technically, if we can get one more doctor to sign off on this, we can have all Liverpool fans sectioned for their own safety

• Locked thread