Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What happened in April? I can't keep up with Korea because dumb poo poo seems to happen there every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Cole posted:

What happened in April? I can't keep up with Korea because dumb poo poo seems to happen there every week.

Actually early May, but w/e.

http://www.stripes.com/news/soldier-dies-after-reported-street-fight-in-seoul-1.282216

quote:

SEOUL — A U.S. soldier died after getting in a street fight outside a nightclub in a popular Seoul entertainment district that has twice been placed off-limits to American troops.

Spc. Carl A. Lissone, 20, was knocked unconscious after getting into an argument with another U.S. servicemember during the early-morning hours of May 4 outside Hongdae’s Club Naked, where he had had been drinking and dancing, according to the Pyeongtaek Police Office.

Lissone was bleeding from his nose and ears, but instead of taking him to a hospital, the three men accompanying him took him to a hotel in Pyeongtaek, near U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys, police officials said.

Never change, Club Naked :allears:.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
That was at Hongdae too which was a fun place...now it's either banned or "highly discouraged" - can't remember.

They also implemented a rule where your BAC can't be .05 within 4 hours of an alert. Very difficult to enforce though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ashmole posted:

They also implemented a rule where your BAC can't be .05 within 4 hours of an alert.

Good loving luck.

I bet that knocks out about 80% of all soldiers, from lowly joe to first sergeant and company commander.

Driving a tank drunk is fuckin' awesome, why would you take that away

Why

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ashmole posted:

That was at Hongdae too which was a fun place...now it's either banned or "highly discouraged" - can't remember.

They also implemented a rule where your BAC can't be .05 within 4 hours of an alert. Very difficult to enforce though.

Those dumb motherfuckers at Suwon tried some breathalyzer poo poo like that once or twice the last few months I was there, too. The hilarious part was when the BC and BN CSM suddenly have a lightbulb moment and try to figure out where the breathalyzers actually are, if we have any. The whole thing looks like some retarded comedy when the BC looks at the HHB 1SG, 1SG looks at our (medic's) PSG, and he turns to me. Because apparently the PFC, that hasn't been in the E5 slot running the BAS supply room in 6 months, should keep track of this poo poo. I looked at them like they were all retards and gave the prototypical private look, shrugged, and waited for the cocksmugglers to release us so I could go pass out and sleep off my hangover.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ashmole posted:

Difficult? How is this even possible to enforce at all lmao

Go army.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Cole posted:

Difficult? How is this even possible to enforce at all lmao

Go army.

The only people you'd actually hit would be people too dumb to have that instant knee-jerk reflex of, "Suck my dick, shove that ART15 up your rear end, I'm going to IG."

And the idiots that can't drink underage without loving it up for everyone else.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Ashmole posted:

In anticipation of the GO1 that started this past weekend, my CO decided to enact a CO1 a week in advance. Is that even a thing? Commanders Order #1?

Speaking of which, anyone else bothered by how much OPSEC violation is present in Kakao talk? If someone tapped into that, they'd figure out what everyone in USFK is up to. Orders, movements, ops details, etc. I get all of my instructions from my chain of command via Kakao.. it was even a recommended download in my newcomers briefing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've never heard of it being called a commander's order before, but it's very common for commanders to issue policy letters or memorandums with standing orders and instructions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

nescience posted:

In anticipation of the GO1 that started this past weekend, my CO decided to enact a CO1 a week in advance. Is that even a thing? Commanders Order #1?

A company commander can effectively ban whatever he or she wants. Violations just don't carry the same weight in terms of NJP.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

The only people you'd actually hit would be people too dumb to have that instant knee-jerk reflex of, "Suck my dick, shove that ART15 up your rear end, I'm going to IG."

And the idiots that can't drink underage without loving it up for everyone else.

I can see them spinning a tale of bullshit about "On duty 24/7, we might have an alert any time so you can't be in that position at any time. Please note this only applies to lower enlisted and people I don't like. Everyone with rank can ignore this."

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

SumYungGui posted:

I can see them spinning a tale of bullshit about "On duty 24/7, we might have an alert any time so you can't be in that position at any time. Please note this only applies to lower enlisted and people I don't like. Everyone with rank can ignore this."

I can see them spinning it too, but I can't see it holding up any better than a trailer park in tornado alley when someone gets uppity and IG decides to start a-blowin'.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
When I was in Korea we got off work and a few guys went out and started drinking. We got recalled (not put on alert) and he got busted down from e5 to e4 for drunk on duty.

I got there as he was doing his extra duty so I don't know if there was anything else that caused his art15, but p hosed up if true.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That sounds pretty spot on for Korea.

You can do anything you want if you got rank, and loving people over for no reason than to give yourself a boner is the national sport.

And IG will still gently caress up your chain, but if you call them up, your name is poo poo over the whole post as a fuckin' narc. gently caress that poo poo hole.

Would still go back to Yongsan in a heart beat though, fuckers know how to play the army game like a boss.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

nescience posted:

Speaking of which, anyone else bothered by how much OPSEC violation is present in Kakao talk? If someone tapped into that, they'd figure out what everyone in USFK is up to. Orders, movements, ops details, etc. I get all of my instructions from my chain of command via Kakao.. it was even a recommended download in my newcomers briefing.

We had a BN alert because our BC want us to do company alerts. There's too many variables involved (dudes off post, at the gym) for us to get a "good time".

When I first got here, the new BDE commander just came in so we had like 2 alerts in a week. Not exaggerating.

Just Dont Look
Nov 6, 2007

Perhaps thou shalt dain to sup on the meaty sustenance of my loins.

nescience posted:

I question the Kakaotalk thing all the time. I'm a DA civilian now but I see the soldiers in the unit receiving all of their instructions from their NCOs through Kakaotalk. Apparently their NCOs went as far as to say that if a soldier removes himself from the group, it is grounds for an Article 15.

I would not doubt that the Korean intelligence community has access to Kakaotalk much in the same way that three letter agencies in the US are tapped into everything.

I'd say it boggles the mind, but that's the Army!

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
the army is dumb as gently caress with opsec, news at eleven

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fucitol posted:

the army is dumb as gently caress, news at eleven

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i always had a laugh when we found out where we were going and then lcpl schmukatelli would post some poo poo on myspace or facebook about how he was goin to ramadi and keep him in your prayers along with a creed song

then they would have an opsec brief where theyre like goddamn it you idiot fucks dont make that poo poo public and theyd do the old switcharooo and be like well we were going to ramadi but now itll be fallujah.

but it was still ramadi all along

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i always had a laugh when we found out where we were going and then lcpl schmukatelli would post some poo poo on myspace or facebook about how he was goin to ramadi and keep him in your prayers along with a creed song

then they would have an opsec brief where theyre like goddamn it you idiot fucks dont make that poo poo public and theyd do the old switcharooo and be like well we were going to ramadi but now itll be fallujah.

but it was still ramadi all along

our deployment started off with a local newspaper publishing our flight date and where we were going.

command was not pleased with the girl who had a sister at the paper.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Some dickhead from the natty guard unit I was attached to on my last deployment sent his wife the complete roster of the squadron right before we redeployed. It contained everyone's full name, social, and the dates and times of their flights out of Iraq. The wife posted this roster to facebook.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
literally my favorite opsec moment is our brigade making sure that no one should the beans on where we were going on my first deployment.

cue my jaded top on his first phone call from Kuwait to his wife, "yeah. fuckin' baqubah again. have more poo poo heads this time than last time. send more of the good stuff."

the only people who subsist on coffee, anger, and booze are god's senior enlisted :allears:

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Just Dont Look posted:

I question the Kakaotalk thing all the time. I'm a DA civilian now but I see the soldiers in the unit receiving all of their instructions from their NCOs through Kakaotalk. Apparently their NCOs went as far as to say that if a soldier removes himself from the group, it is grounds for an Article 15.

I would not doubt that the Korean intelligence community has access to Kakaotalk much in the same way that three letter agencies in the US are tapped into everything.

I'd say it boggles the mind, but that's the Army!

I would get pissed at gunnery because I didnt have my charger with me, so I kept emphasizing that we use the BFTs and radios...I got yelled at because my phone died. Oh well, gently caress all of those systems we busted our rear end to get FMC.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lol our AGR ops NCO didn't bother to submit our travel request before he left early last week. Now the travel office wants everyone who's flying home to stay at Dix an extra 4 days. So I said gently caress that an am splitting a rental car with my buddy.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
army is gay, scouts are gay, I am really gay, I am homo, I'm gaaaaaaaaaaay

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please step into the decontamination shower and take deep breaths when the door closes, your belongings will be waiting for you on the other side.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

RichieHimself posted:

Some dickhead from the natty guard unit I was attached to on my last deployment sent his wife the complete roster of the squadron right before we redeployed. It contained everyone's full name, social, and the dates and times of their flights out of Iraq. The wife posted this roster to facebook.

Same thing happened with my Guard unit.

That was the first of three times I ended up getting an e-mail from the Adjutant General's office saying "your social may have been publicly released by us but it's not our fault, you may want to look into getting LifeLock or something."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Same thing happened with my Guard unit.

That was the first of three times I ended up getting an e-mail from the Adjutant General's office saying "your social may have been publicly released by us but it's not our fault, you may want to look into getting LifeLock or something."

And the other two riveting tales?
:allears:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Why IS your social used on every-loving-thing? What happened to Name, Rank and Serial Number? My grandpa can still tell me his number from when he was in but somewhere along the way it was decided I should have financially compromising information on my duffle bag, helmet and every piece of paper I'm ever within ten feet of so some dumbshit or his wife can put it on facebook.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bwahahaha, they aren't promoting my year group (in USAR) to captain until 60 months TIS.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Bwahahaha, they aren't promoting my year group (in USAR) to captain until 60 months TIS.

My first O-3 board didn't meet until I had 63 months TIS. Guard has a shitload of long in the tooth O-2s since most of us picked up back when it was 18 months TIS for first promotion.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140818/NEWS/308180012/SMA-Chandler-record

Article posted:

There’s still a chance the Army will offer voluntary separations for soldiers, but that will only occur if they cannot cut the force fast enough. It seems unlikely they will be needed, Chandler said.

Please be needed.

Article posted:

Chandler said his successor will be sworn in on Jan. 30.

:toot:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Good riddance.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What if the next guy is worse?

What if it's a chick??

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's an E-9. They're bad no matter what.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It still amazes me that I am now a fat, unshaven civilian going to school and I have more deployed time than that tremendous sack of poo poo. I also guarantee by the time he finally did worm his way out of TRADOC to get a deployment in he had enough rank to get an actual bed every night and a 9-5 schedule that he probably still cut out of early.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

It's an E-9. They're bad no matter what.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Top 5 Key Soldier Issues

1. Getting out
2. Hairstyles
3. Tattoos
4. Disability rating
5. Sleeve rolling

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

My first O-3 board didn't meet until I had 63 months TIS. Guard has a shitload of long in the tooth O-2s since most of us picked up back when it was 18 months TIS for first promotion.

Active side speaking, but O-3 should take longer to pick up. These three year captains (some, not all) are pretty retarded. Part of it is because loving West Point TIS starts as soon as they graduate. You've got dudes showing up to units getting promoted to 1LT after two months. So if you've got a TRADOC warrior, he'll show up to the unit, pin on 1LT, and then a year later put on O-3. It was loving stupid.

I was a 2LT in my unit for a full year before I got O-2.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, I just picked up FA 53 so at least I don't have to spend the next two years of LT time as an S3 bitch.

• Locked thread