Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The southwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Zotix posted:

I also think it's stupid that they wouldn't try to place someone who scored a 96 on the asvab, has their bachelor's, into a job that they want.

You could be taking orders from someone who scored a 50 on the asvab when they got in, which is why it's important to get what you want now. Just lie to your recruiter, tell him you understand there is a drawdown now and that you have an open mind. And then loving stab him in the back when they try to sell you on ET or something you don't want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

drat you have a terrible "recruiter" mine bent over backwards to accommodate me but then again I had a 97.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

Or you could just lie to him, tell him you'll take anything, go down there, then take nothing when what you want isn't there and tell him to go gently caress himself on your way out.

Yea this is good advice, you don't owe the recruiter poo poo, don't act like you do.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just remember this : the recruiter is NOT your friend

also he has zero control over what rate you are offered that is all the detailer at MEPS

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Zotix posted:

I also think it's stupid that they wouldn't try to place someone who scored a 96 on the asvab, has their bachelor's, into a job that they want.

FUCKIN :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zotix posted:

The southwest.

Then I am no help because I don't know your recruiters boss.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah definitely recruiter bullshit but they can be pretty picky these days, no?

And yeah whatever is available at MEPS changes daily pretty much. So whichever way the wind is blowing that day.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Christoff posted:

Yeah definitely recruiter bullshit but they can be pretty picky these days, no?

Absolutely. That guy has got next to no motivation to meet his quota, or he might have already met it. If I was that guy I probably wouldn't spend too much of my already short shore duty wrangling a high maintenance recruit either when there are more then enough mouth breathers willing to sign undesignated.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I can't see how any recruit is 'high maintenance' if they're the ones calling the office

the 'high maintenance' ones are the ones you're having to run down the track to shave those last precious pounds, or teach how to read so they can become a cook

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can't see how any recruit is 'high maintenance' if they're the ones calling the office

the 'high maintenance' ones are the ones you're having to run down the track to shave those last precious pounds, or teach how to read so they can become a cook

Yeah, high maintenance might be the wrong term. I should have said "opinionated", and "not gullible".

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
When I went to MEPS the first time they told me there were no jobs and I'd have to come back next month. Now I wonder if there were literally no jobs or if they just had already met their quota that month and were saving me for the next month.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I still can't believe anyone signs up with no promised rating but I got a few in my DEP pool. They don't seem retarded but drat....

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

"Go undesignated because then you can see all the jobs first hand and decide which one is right for you!"

Haha I remember towards the end of boot camp all the kids freaking out asking why they couldn't change their rate in boot camp like their recruiter told them. Or the ones that didn't know they signed up for needs of the Navy

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I wasn't saying that as if it's amazing or anything, but out here in this area I'm in, it's well above the average person. That statement probably narrows down where I'm from significantly, at least in conjunction with my last post.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Christoff posted:

"Go undesignated because then you can see all the jobs first hand and decide which one is right for you!"

Haha I remember towards the end of boot camp all the kids freaking out asking why they couldn't change their rate in boot camp like their recruiter told them. Or the ones that didn't know they signed up for needs of the Navy

Moderator scum Mr. Nice somehow survived enlisting as an undes. He's one of the few.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zotix posted:

I wasn't saying that as if it's amazing or anything, but out here in this area I'm in, it's well above the average person. That statement probably narrows down where I'm from significantly, at least in conjunction with my last post.

I wasn't laughing at your scores or whatever. I was laughing at the pure, unabashed, naivety of someone not in the Navy earnestly believing that the Navy gives even a semblance of a poo poo about you and what you bring to the table.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Moderator scum Mr. Nice somehow survived enlisting as an undes. He's one of the few.

It seems like with undesignated folk it's a vicious cycle of NJPs or they become an HM

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Zotix posted:

So the recruiter just said he won't take me down to MEPs if I'm holding out only for it/ctn/ctm. He said if i go down and i don't pick a job that i won't be taken back down. They only want people who are open to the jobs available when i go down. What the hell do i do goons?
This is not the last time a first class or chief is going to gently caress you over to make their numbers look good. You have to ask yourself: Is this what I want the next 4+ years of my life to be like?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Why is it every other week some shmuck comes in here asking about wanting to be a loving CT? If you want a truly cake job be a SK and refill the soda machine you worthless gently caress.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Christoff posted:

It seems like with undesignated folk it's a vicious cycle of NJPs or they become an HM

Believe it or not, most undesignated I've known struck CS of all loving rates. Like it was in the double digits on my last ship. Talking to other folks in my class now, they had similar experiences too. I guess a whole bunch of dudes wanna be Cuba Gooding in Pearl Harbor.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 12, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wokrider posted:

Anyone know a HM SF?
I've got my HM contract and I head to boot in september, I'm trying to get more information on how getting into SF pipeline at HM A School works.

Little late but here we go. A lot has been covered but I'll just type a bunch of poo poo anyways

You can't get anything in your contract but HM. FMF is no guarantee. When you go to a-school a guy who never did anything Recon related or whatever he's advertising will come talk to you about the different programs. If you want to do recon you have to go to the screener early on (hope you can swim). From there you switch classes and workout a lot in that group. That only guarantees you orders to FMTB. From there another guy will come and talk to everyone (This guy is actually a SARC) and will show you some videos with Drowning Pool playing over them. From there you'll screen again. Usually there will be more people screening than slots available. If there's 5 slots and 5 people have a better score than you you're not going. You're going to fail the swim. Calling it now. (FWIW I screened and failed the swim. If you weren't in the program in a-school you're probably going to fail the swim)

If you're on west coast you'll finish FMTB and then some SARC Chief will come pick you up at graduation and drive you to the North part of Pendleton to SOI where BRC is. From there I think you're in a "pre BRC" type of program for 2-3 months where you work out a lot with the other Corpsmen that are going to do BRC. The Marines are doing their own thing at this point I think and once you actually start BRC you'll be with the Marines. Oh yeah the Chiefs and everyone else in charge of the program will take one look at you and your demeanor when you arrive and decide who they like and don't like. From there they'll haze you until you quit which usually lasts about 2-3 weeks. I think of the 5 guys I knew 1 made it. I think the attrition rate is worst than BUDS. It's bad. Which is odd because they're always desperate for SARCs

What I'm trying to say is even if you get through all that you're not going to make it through the program. Sorry.

I worked closely with a SARC for a while and talked to him a lot about all of this. The community is really hosed up. It's so bad that he had potential plans to join the Army and go Army SF/green beret/whatever. I repeat, he was willing to join another branch and go through another 2 year pipeline. A SARC can go Recon or MARSOC which is cool high speed SOCOM poo poo whatever whatever but you'll probably just end up going to a Recon platoon and going on MEUs for your whole enlistment hating life and trying to be belligerent and OFP like Special Forces dudes but still get sucked into USMC bullshit and lack of funding.

You can also be "homegrown" where if you're greenside you can still try to go SARC. You'll transfer to their BAS (medical clinic) and work there and they'll send you to the different schools in the pipeline. They have to really really like you. You can also try to do it when you PCS (transfer duty stations) from a blueside command. You'll have had to have done the screener and all the other paperwork and bullshit.

There's also SEALs. They used to have Corpsmen that would go through the SEAL pipeline and keep their rating as HM but now everyone is an SO. Now they have team medics or something I'm not sure but last I heard they're bringing it back to how it used to be. Where a Corpsman would serve as the "medic" for a SEAL team or w/e but you still probably lose your rating.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 12, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah it was alright. There were some nasty motherfuckers down there, though. SPACE HOMOS knows a few. Shitfuck was king nasty poo poo closely followed by hoagland and puckins.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Why is it every other week some shmuck comes in here asking about wanting to be a loving CT? If you want a truly cake job be a SK and refill the soda machine you worthless gently caress.

That's SH broheim. And at least they are on ships which makes it orders of magnitude more difficult/worse then the shore-centric rates like most CT's and AG's and poo poo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you're going to join the Navy with the intent of never going to sea, just join the loving Air Force

We had one striker go cook (because he cleverly realized it was the only reliable way to get out of cranking) and one who was admittedly a bit of a meathead go TM. SKs had some bitch work at sea and of course had to stand basic watches but for a seagoing rate it really did have a ton of plusses. When I was super-nubly and got put on port and starboard Tiger Team sharing a rack with one of the SKs, he just moved into the cave underneath the shack, which was drat near half as big as the entirety of aft berthing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SK and SH don't usually stand any watches at sea except in low visibility, drills, or special evolutions on small boys. They just run the store, laundry, and supply. Every one of those fuckers goes to bed at night.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

SH

Soda Handler
Ship's Hairdresser
Stateroom Housekeeper

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

SK and SH don't usually stand any watches at sea except in low visibility, drills, or special evolutions on small boys. They just run the store, laundry, and supply. Every one of those fuckers goes to bed at night.

Also, the biggest perks are office hours and holiday routine. Motherfuckers only worked like 3 hours a day at sea, and you had to suck SUPPO's loving rear end in a top hat to get parts 1 minute after closing or on a Sunday. Also they always got the hookup from the other dudes on supply. Always got the fresh cigarettes, always got the cold monsters, always had their names on the haircut list first, always the first to eat at meals, and usually got to clean out midrats before the line opened.

It would be the perfect seagoing job if it weren't for the advancement, also supply corps officers seemed extra douchy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'd say that one of the biggest hurdles to advancing in supply is your fluency in tagalog.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Goddam some fellow future sailor goon just connected my posts to overhearing my conversation at MEPS over a month ago.

I'm actually kinda impressed. (Actually it's most likely because I'm ancient).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He talked to me same day about it. I almost posted something about it but, meh, effort.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh are you out of Moffet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No we're just friends and bullshit throughout the day. When he was done at meps he was telling me all the details. Later that night he saw you post about your meps trip and texted me saying "yeah I saw that guy when I went."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Huh. Small world.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If you can't make the decision to walk away when the Navy is loving you before you even enlist you should just go 11x with the army.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
It is just a weird loving recruiter game when the Navy is shoving like trillions of barely qualified CTNs through school.

He should hopefully *know* its open. Like a guaranteed loving serfdom contract right there.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

It is just a weird loving recruiter game when the Navy is shoving like trillions of barely qualified CTNs through school.

Judging by the quality we get out of ET/FC A school I'm pretty sure the entire school system is just a faucet. One of the guys I work with was saying you used to need a decently high reading comprehension score to go into AECF and they got rid of that a handful of years back. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that but some of these people are terrible at reading tech pubs so maybe?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 12, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Zotix posted:

Did you ever go talk to the officer detailer like pretty much everyone here said you should do?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

Did you ever go talk to the officer detailer like pretty much everyone here said you should do?

Seconding this. I'm assuming you didn't just because a lot of people come in here and ignore a lot of what we say for whatever reason.

Didn't someone join as a nuke despite Ket and everyone else saying they shouldn't, then came back and said "Oh poo poo you were all right."?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kinda feels like you tell everyone that no matter the rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
He said he did talk to the O recruiter but was turned down for GPA reasons.

• Locked thread