Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The CONUS/OCONUS used to be a thing for CTA when they were around before merging with the terrible YNs. I am sure they still bitched about it too.

"Oh man, gotta go to Hawaii for my next tour."
"gently caress man, gonna have to go to Germany."
"England again, sigh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

Btw, does failing an command check in weigh in count against you? Old LPO is sweating it cause he sucked his way to passing and is probably gonna fail at check in.

Christoff posted:

Don't think so I don't remember a command check-in weigh in but I'm sure I did it I just forgot. You're *supposed* to be exempt for 3 months after you check in somewhere from a pfa and I did get out of one this way and also had to run one a couple weeks after I checked in. I think I heard this rule went away but not sure

But here they just ask us for our height/weight so heh

Why don't people just read the goddamn pub? It is OPNAV 6110.1J. I just don't understand why everyone listens to the loving gouge of random people but doesn't just read the black and white of the governing documents.

Poopkitty is, as usual, correct that it is based on command policy and not the OPNAV.

Like serious, read some loving paper people.

Edit: Thought I would also say, because my life has been doing better in both the personal and university, I have started to channel the hatred I had from those areas into dealing with the Navy so the came off a bit harsher than I wanted it but, gently caress y'all, read something.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 2, 2014

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Christoff posted:

I always thought the rampant prostitution and such in port was a thing of the past and I joined a "new" Navy considering how much they talked about it and how bad it is "not in today's Navy!" blah blah

boy was I ever wrong

did hear a story from a friend that NCIS or whomever were doing some "sting" operation in a foreign and his buddy got caught and he was his libbo buddy so he got NJP'd too.

Which is why your liberty party should consist of: A Chief, NCIS Agent, and Civilian Contractor. Short of murdering a foreign national, everything is kosher.

Also, drunk shore patrol is best shore patrol.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Seriously, where was the OPSO, where was the CMC, where was some random JO chatting with a friend at CSG about the hosed up situation, where was anything?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

When I read the story I saw they when to mast for it, I was more just saying rhetorically the idea that those fuckers had been in long enough to be like, yeah, this is the time when we need to fire the flare and get help.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Playing Mad Libs with the redacted portions of the investigation report is a lot of fun, especially the medical parts.

I also totally disagree with CDR Salamander. There is no way that an 11 year SWO could handle CHENG, XO, and CO duties on a deployment and come out looking good. It's just too much responsibility and work. There's also no way the CO could "honorably" take himself out of action due to medical issues when he could have had a qualified XO on board if he asked.

That's the thing I didn't understand. We have some many post-tour O-5/O-6 types at staffs that even if you brought in an empty uniform with an oak leaf on it, I am sure CHENG would have come out looking golden.

Having just gotten to the Opinions portion of the report, the section before that 178-206 "Reports/Concerns of Fraternization Communicated to CoC" is a good read on how to say the right things and not go through with it. Fellow Chiefs and JOs telling the CMC something is up, him telling them the right thing, and then they drop it since, hey, CMCs got this. If this doesn't end up as a text book case study, I would be shocked.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Also technically O4's are JO's, though in practice most people do not consider them part of JOPA.

I got along really well with our N2, who was an O4, as the senior E and know if I wanted to tweak him to throw that out there and he would usually bit on it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Christoff posted:

Haha what the hell. I took off for 17 days of leave about 2 months ago and it's still pending approval. No one has even approved yet. Now I have 81 days or something, gently caress. I get out soon do I stay hush hush or what?

Even with 30 days terminal I'm going to have a lot of leave to burn. At this point going to have to sell some back because the green weenie is still in my rear end at work. Hassle just trying to schedule TRS next week

As me how I ended up taking 2 months terminal and still selling back 60 days of leave. This was before using NSIPS, so I'd bring my leave chit back to N1 at the end of the period and some how it never showed up on my LES. Who knows what happened to it, not my job to police admin. Perhaps going out drinking with YN1 and PSC helped, but who knows man.

The proper thing to do is what Dusty said for the 2nd but the realistic thing is to just skate and be a typical lower E and if it comes up just shrug and say "how should I know that".

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Listen to the Jew and bitter Corpsman, your recruiter is being a recruiter, ie, scum.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

I worry that millenials and our god drat smartphones will kill Spades, the official card game of the United States Navy

I wish more people knew how to play Euchre as Spades just takes too drat long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boon posted:

I once, while nodding off myself in the NAG on the rev, stood up to try and stay awake and woke up the TAO for the second time. Realizing that combat was very, very quiet I turned the corner and found every single watchstander in air alley (cruiser CIC) asleep except for my FC at CIWS who looked at me bewildered. CSC was drooling on his console keyboard.

100% on watch.

On night check cutting gator squares in the Gulf of Aden, felt a bit tired so thought I would get up, stretching the legs and visit TAO and then hit the BWC on the way back to the JIC. Only one person awake in CIC and the two guys awake in Flagplot were watching a movie.

Night Check, best shift.

• Locked thread