Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Haahaha some dudes are pissed that this one fat dude weighs in at like 240 and because he has a thick rear end neck gets measured in at like 18% bodyfat but guess who doesnt have to go to fep. Man cant run half a foot ball field before hes winded.

God bless the Navy.

Btw, does failing an command check in weigh in count against you? Old LPO is sweating it cause he sucked his way to passing and is probably gonna fail at check in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Why don't people just read the goddamn pub? It is OPNAV 6110.1J. I just don't understand why everyone listens to the loving gouge of random people but doesn't just read the black and white of the governing documents.

Poopkitty is, as usual, correct that it is based on command policy and not the OPNAV.

Like serious, read some loving paper people.

Edit: Thought I would also say, because my life has been doing better in both the personal and university, I have started to channel the hatred I had from those areas into dealing with the Navy so the came off a bit harsher than I wanted it but, gently caress y'all, read something.

Because thats a random rear end number and not worth googling if I can just ask a thread, because on a personal level the Navy has emerged as a massive waste of time.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Do nobles have some image of what an enlisted barracks looks like? Apparently some seamen left their semen filled condoms and beer cans around with a noble complaining. I'm over here laughing cause of a sea bag inspection for "deployability", the confused faces of the retired civilians (and my friends as well) that were wondering why corpsmen are doing a sea bag inspection when even the constantly deploying dudes never did one.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Yeah, nothing quite happened at all recently among people to get it to happen so I was just laughing. I have all my stuff, since I don't wear most of the stuff issued to me anyway. Just a couple of my NWUs that I wash continuously and my NSUs for duty. I don't know how some of these dudes have lost the expensive bits of their uniform/gave them away to family because their family thought it looked cool. Hilariously enough the weekend after they did the inspection there was a DUI. There should be a sitcom created just by using moments of everyone's time in to cover all the bases of ship, shore, and other lives within the Navy.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

I'm at a loss as to why you don't find this awful. As a non-noble (albeit one who washes her coffee cup) I find the very idea of condoms "laying around" gross. Also beer cans. It's not a "noble" thing to pick up after yourself.

I don't walk out there so I don't give a poo poo about anything. They're not sprawled out in my room or door so I don't care what is immersed in the carpets of the common areas I don't frequent.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

My main goal is Marine Force Recon when I hit A school, I tried to get FMTB on my contract but apparently they don't do that anymore?

You can test into Recon and Diver along with Air Crew or w/e it is when you get to A School. If it's still the same as when I went to it, you'll need to find the DIVEMO Chief, usually he's the most narcissistic looking Chief because he hears sea stories from the other ones and laughs. You have to maintain a good GPA, and if it's still ran the way they ran it when I was in A School you should be able to take tests at your own pace. You work out with the other prospects and after everything you get your orders, sometimes straight to Recon, sometimes they send dudes to FMTB first and then Recon. Talking to a dude that was Recon, he said it was kinda sad because it was like you were second string. They'd get briefed on an op, get everything ready to go, and then the SEALs would sweep in to take over.

I have friends that got through portions of both pipelines, one of which almost made it through Dive school and later went for Recon but rang the bell(being anaemic sucks balls and actually disqualifies you, but they can find out in training if they pass out a lot doing some of the dive exercises).

Word of advice: Follow the workouts people that already SEALs or w/e the gently caress it is you want to do tell you to do, don't listen to a drop out because something they're doing is likely why they didn't move forward. Some dudes fail because of character flaws, so if you happen to go out to the school and fail out, ending up at Lemoore/29 Palms, don't take it personally. Adjust yourself and charge at whatever you want.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

TrialbyStone posted:

Thank you Great Lakes, for wasting 2 hours of my day forcing me to watch "Carrier" with an auditorium full of Booters, and having the gall to tell me "This is how the REAL fleet works"

I cannot believe i'm stuck in this branch for 2 more years; anybody currently deployed in San Diego have advice for how best to pass the next couple years?

As someone that will likely never deploy with my 2 years left, all I have to say is save up money for when you get out and try to set up as much for yourself as possible. Also, booze and easy women.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm afraid that's going to count against your sailor of the quarter board score

Joke's on you, he went to Mast and now his Chief is going to pull for him so he gets SOQ and the EP Eval to show he improved.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Haha what the hell. I took off for 17 days of leave about 2 months ago and it's still pending approval. No one has even approved yet. Now I have 81 days or something, gently caress. I get out soon do I stay hush hush or what?

Even with 30 days terminal I'm going to have a lot of leave to burn. At this point going to have to sell some back because the green weenie is still in my rear end at work. Hassle just trying to schedule TRS next week

Leave is to be approved in a timely manner, there's no real reason to hold onto it since they have a bajillion other third classes running around. It's their internal hate at their decision for everything in their life.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Has anyone been to Djibouti or know what's out there? All I get is that it's loving hot. What I'm looking to know is if I am sent there for 9 months, would I be able to prepare to separate (like apply to colleges and poo poo) before I get out of the Navy? Currently, it looks like it would be from February to December, and my EAOS is in January. Previous LPO said I'd be back in time for Christmas leave, but then there's that hassle of terminal leave, making sure it gets up the chain of command in enough time, and having to scramble for everything once I get out which isn't a part of my plan. If I don't go it just means I'd be able to take terminal leave. If I do though it means more money, plus I'd have actually done something in 5 years of being in the Navy beyond just "personal development" with certifications for the outside world.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Yo Djibouti is Disneyland. It's hot as gently caress and sucks but it's as good as it can get. There's wifi everywhere and A/C. If you're actually stationed there you can get your own wifi with your roommates. Nice gym, pool, and loving amazing chow hall. It has every amenity you'd need honestly. Alcohol, too.

gently caress you can probably take online courses there and they probably do college courses too

I wouldn't be surprised if they even do TRS/TAPS there.

You'll be banking cash because there's not really any liberty there. Off base is usually restricted but if not you can go out in groups of 5 I think.

Seriously I can't overstate how it pretty much has everything

Medical there is probably the nicest clinic I've seen. They're really helpful and super nice. There's dental as well. It's just a clinic if there's something major I think they send you to the French hospital there or Kuwait. If you didn't already know it's a Navy/French base. There's a flight line that divides the bases. You won't ever go to the French side. We did some training with them so we went there and got poo poo faced at their bar with them. Tons of foreign Military and every branch is doing something there. It's a Navy base but they're probably the ones you'll see the least of. Lots of high speed folk too (SEAL, etc)

Oh you also get hazardous duty/combat/whatever pay. Eating steak/lobster while people starve to death right outside the gates

Can I stare into their vacant, likely democrat un-American faces while I eat?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

That's disgusting. All branches sicken me.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Zotix posted:

So the recruiter just said he won't take me down to MEPs if I'm holding out only for it/ctn/ctm. He said if i go down and i don't pick a job that i won't be taken back down. They only want people who are open to the jobs available when i go down. What the hell do i do goons?

Then don't go. gently caress the recruiter. If he doesn't want to make quota some other month then that's on him. Don't enlist into a job that won't set you up for the future if you want to do something in IT/CTN/CTM. If you do, you'll just get hosed. There is no changing jobs in boot camp. There's no changing jobs when you're in (it's a slim chance, and hardly to the rating you want).

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If you can't make the decision to walk away when the Navy is loving you before you even enlist you should just go 11x with the army.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Seconding this. I'm assuming you didn't just because a lot of people come in here and ignore a lot of what we say for whatever reason.

Didn't someone join as a nuke despite Ket and everyone else saying they shouldn't, then came back and said "Oh poo poo you were all right."?

Yeah, then he just kind of faded away.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

bengy81 posted:

That's cuz every job is pretty lovely, mostly due to the fact you are in the Navy and dealing with inept leadership. All jobs are pretty poo poo, just some are more poo poo than others, and some offer more opportunities when you get out.

Today one of the third classes demonstrated that the thyroid is in the thigh. The frightened look of the doctors was hilarious. A first realized just how long HM clinicals (2 weeks) are compared to the training for medical doctors (5+ years), with some of the flight surgeons not even having their MD but actually are interns waiting to go to whatever specialty it is that they wanted to do.

I was also told that my outlook on helping out people would probably hinder me from ever making Chief because I don't stab backs enough or let people fail themselves. This was a good day.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Idk, one of my friends went out to Norfolk on some ship and he's loving it because he's "finally in the real Navy." He's telling me I should re-enlist to get a feel for it. God I haven't laughed so hard at him in years.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

nacirema posted:

An instructor at HM a school recommend me for relief and separation for sleeping in class. Waving ucmj article 13, not 92 at me, I can't tell if he threatening or will actually do paperwork. I was told to wake up multiple times before. My grades are excellent. No paper was ever filed on me or got called for counseling. And I graduate in 10 days. Should I be worried, if so how can I present a case that is not about me be being a lovely sailor to Chief?

First, I suggest you try to get a hold of someone that is associated with JAG (such as asking where base legal is located or where you can a hold of a Legalman while you're in San Antonio). Article 13 is incredibly vague, and if I'm thinking how the HM1 did he's just trying to put the fear in you of going to DRB. Honestly it reads as a case of you being protected from punishments before a trial.

Second, 10 days likely isn't long enough to gather evidence against you, but then again you joined one of the shittiest rates as far as leadership goes and you might end up being rushed to a DRB where the Chiefs will chew you out. Which leads to this piece of advice - Talk to a Legalman/JAG Officer. Don't wave any of your rights until you speak to legal. Also know that at DRB they'll try to intimidate you.

Personal experience: I'm a Corpsman and have been in many a lovely situation because HMs make up some of the shittiest Petty Officers-wannabe-Marines I have ever encountered (I work with people of different ratings, and know a few people in different ratings in the real Navy) and sweet Jesus I may have stayed in this gig if there weren't such crappy people in my rating.

By the way where are your orders to for after A school?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Once had an instructor that wouldn't let us stand up. But got pissed as gently caress if people fell asleep. We were extremely sleep deprived, A/C was broken, and room was about 95 degrees.

Then they got mad at people slanging caffeine pills :shrug:

Hahaha, that's what pretty much happened in my class, except instead of caffeine pills everyone was taking Jack3d because we always went to the gym after class and that poo poo was powdered meth. Honestly if he's going to surg tech school nothing much will be different except the instructors are more laid back.

Nacirema: You'll probably have this swole as gently caress dude teaching you that has boots that he somehow got to be mirrors even around the laces through the power of his elbows alone. He's a lot of fun if you get on his good side. I advise you go to the gym before you study your 1,000 instruments. The instruments are pretty easy, just remember the important things like "this isn't just a scalpel, it's a scalpel with a fancy handle" and they all have fancy handles. Memorize the angles of their handles and some of the other intricate features to the other surgical poo poo otherwise you'll score lovely on tests and when you prep for the surgeons at clinicals they will straight up throw the instruments onto the ground if you hand them the wrong thing for the procedure, which you'd then have to find another of or autoclave the one the one they threw away if it didn't land in the sterile field. I know this because all of my friends when I was going through c school were surg techs and I learned a lot of the material when they would study in my room as we hung out. Stay the gently caress out of the bake shop that opened up in the C school schoolhouse and for the love of all things natural and holy don't get a girlfriend from another branch.

The most fun you'll ever have in class is probably memorizing the Airman and Soldier's Creeds and reciting it better than they can.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Vriess posted:

Fuckin' NAS Fallon man. Dry as gently caress. Cold. Desert. 24 on, 24 off schedule.

Airwings come and just gently caress the place up for a month at a time. They've only got one goddamned FAX machine for the whole place. Phantom Shitter in the Chapel. $800 per diem/month due to the galley having shitfuck hours, so a permissive rate is authorized. It's all spent on booze.

Chasing man-sized tumbleweeds across the flight line and FOD walkdowns almost hourly because of it.
Goddamned birdstrike threat everywhere.

FCPOA corruption and monopolization of duty vehicles run rampant. High altitude lowers blood pressure. Passed out while shaving and hit hard against the barracks' wall. Got yelled at for being late for work. Had to have an MRI.

But they had a VirtuaON Arcade Machine at Mean Gene's. That's pretty cool.

Hahaha, my LPO wanted to see if he could set up something where one of us techs goes TAD there to "help out their Mental Health services" and I laughed hard, explaining to him exactly what's out there. Dude's got what it takes to get far in the Navy, he's oblivious to a lot of things because of his mentality, but, he hates the way it's a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" organization with backstabbing.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok my DEP pool is hopeless. You guys better be way more awesome on the other side of this.

Just beared witness to another failed romance with pretty bad potential conquences.

The gently caress is up with dating bipolars.

It's a beautiful thing, and it doesn't get better. They get a stick up their rear end and some take it out while others fly the blue falcon colors 24/7.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Has anyone ever heard anything about overturning a NAMI aviation disqualification? Reason was ADHD history 5-6 years ago and some other sleep-related bullshit that NAMI didn't like but BUMED didn't mind. I wouldn't be able to try again until 2016 anyway, which would bring it to 7-8 years ago.

It would likely involve another screening of sorts from a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist. You'd have to speak to the NAMI authority and ask them exactly what you'd need, some waivers depend completely on what the investigating body deems fit. Some people get waived to go, others don't, it depends completely on everything they find during the investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I laugh every time someone around here brings up college because they point to their UoP degrees and say "You can get biochemistry from them probably, you just have to look!" and I bring up how every major university requires you to have a lab attached to each class, a lab you can't do in a barracks room over the internet and lord knows I'm not driving an hour for a 4-5 hour lab, with no guarantee that I can leave work/duty to attend it. Maybe if I was going for a BA in Business like you HM1!

• Locked thread