Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

almighty posted:

While Goon seamen here discuss the foreign wimminz they might encounter in foreign ports, something very interesting has allegedly been going on board USS Cowpens.

Not gonna lie, I would hit that CHENG myself any day. She is pretty hot. What I can't figure out is why her parents would name her 'Destiny Noel Savage' in the first place? And how can someone with that name can go on to earn a commission in the Navy and become a Chief Engineer on a ship? :iiam:

Let's discuss.

:catstare:

Also, what the hell was OPS doing through all this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Wtf is wrong with you people, post a picture of the CHENG already.

I just did broseph.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When I googled her name, her facebook page was the first hit and that was the picture.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Seriously, where was the OPSO, where was the CMC, where was some random JO chatting with a friend at CSG about the hosed up situation, where was anything?

CMC got NJPd along with the CO and CHENG for not reporting this.

I also want to know about OPS, but random SWO JOs are so beaten down that they tend to just go with the flow no matter how completely hosed up it is because to be honest we were never sure what was abnormal and what was usual surface fuckery.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Octopode posted:

Word elsewhere is that she used to hand out business cards with self photos that were described as "provocative". Of course, this was coming from bitter old SWOs, so that probably just means her picture was from the waist up or some poo poo.

Given that she was playing house with the CO, it may have been more.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Playing Mad Libs with the redacted portions of the investigation report is a lot of fun, especially the medical parts.

I also totally disagree with CDR Salamander. There is no way that an 11 year SWO could handle CHENG, XO, and CO duties on a deployment and come out looking good. It's just too much responsibility and work. There's also no way the CO could "honorably" take himself out of action due to medical issues when he could have had a qualified XO on board if he asked.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SPACE HOMOS posted:

CHENG must have been in a drought to want to sleep with a fat headed guy who had facial paralysis.

"Don't stick your dick in crazy unless you are even more crazy"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

They were without an XO for closer to 3 months. Also the article is terrible and focused on the frat and general weirdness of the situation, but there were a lot of other issues. Most notably watch bills went out the window and everything became ad hoc. Also major programs and most maintenance went to poo poo as well.

Also the CO not being on the bridge for an UNREP is a huge deal. However, in addition to that, he wasn't up there for sea and anchor details pulling in and our of port either which is a huger deal. Here in Command School I have a secondhand story that it was so bad that one time the TRAINO came up on the bridge semi-randomly when they were getting ready to pull into port (in Thailand I think) and found he was the only officer up there so he just took OOD and the CONN with the pilot and some blue shirts filling in the rest of the positions kind of haphazardly.

The whole thing was a dumpster fire.

Also technically O4's are JO's, though in practice most people do not consider them part of JOPA.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that in the Navy O4s are neither junior nor senior officers, unlike every other service which has O1-3 junior (company grade) and O4-6 senior (field grade). LCDRs are just stuck in the middle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reacon posted:

C7F is a negative, then, which probably puts me on that MCM since I'd rather not be on a carrier since it's not necessarily great for advancement as a junior (I've heard). I love the Washington coastline and the cities on it, and plan on buying a car immediately, but that can wait a few years I suppose.

It all comes down to either putting myself out there or hiding in a corner in two extremes. Maybe I need to be figuring out what I want to do with my life rather than where I want to go.

On the other topic: I lived 5 miles from Glacier Park secluded in the woods with my single mother, plenty of dogs and cats, and horrible internet. But yeah, it was very rarely hot, very rarely extremely cold, too. I'd love a place that stayed 20-70 year long.

Once again, thanks for the replies. This is more than I ever could have hoped for.

Seriously, if I had been single I'd have jumped on a Bahrain tour and banked hella cash. Do it while you're young and unattached as long as you're smart enough to actually bank it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

Midrats on carriers were always the left over horse cock sausages from dinner. Unless they ran out, then it was beets and some bread.

Amphibs were better because the marines ate 4 times a day and demanded it.

Nite krew still best krew because you don't have to deal with everyone.

Edit: for a month or two we had a hookup with a Puerto Rican girl who cranked in the chiefs mess. She cooked so goddamn well they didn't care what she left with. Brought us double bacon cheeseburgers on fresh buns. Somehow she turned the hazelnut coffee creamers and boat cream cheese into a great hazelnut spread.

Again. Nite Krew so no one was awake to steal it from us

Man, when I was on the carrier midrats were actually decent. Leftovers from the day + microwave burritos and poo poo. The amphib was terrible, it was always nothing but corn dogs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Guarantee if the cdo saw him playing cards he'd be joining the restricted people he's watching.

At no point while standing CDO watch did I check up on or care about restricted personnel. Duty section chief's business.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

The worst commercial is the one where they do the sailors creed. Imho, the creed is kind of dumb. Not as dumb as the army's leadership thing, but still pretty dumb.

The sailor's creed is the worst of the armed forces creeds by a long shot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fart Sandwiches posted:

It's pretty aimless as a whole and makes some pretty weird statements like "and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me" like it's some bold commitment.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being a sailor, either.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

I've actually been meaning to mention how absolutely retarded it is. Honestly I had completely forgotten about because I hadn't heard it in almost 7 years, but now I have to hear it every day in class. I lay the blame squarely on MCPON Scott for this one.

gently caress YOU SCOTT, YOU loving PUSSY!!!! :argh:

I avoided it for years but our new LCPO decided it should be recited at morning quarters. I still just mumble through because I'm not memorizing that crap.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

Navy combat team. This line sounds like some retardo superhero squad and makes me lol

"I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all" sounds like the first draft of a corporate handbook.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Command ballcaps can be worn with NWU's after labor day. So that's pretty cool I guess.

As far as I could tell they never stopped wearing them on the ships.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Enlisted love bragging about all the degrees they got while enlisted through lovely diploma mills no one recognizes

Guess your eval/chain of command doesn't care though because that's where they got theirs

It's worse hearing about what they're going to use their GI Bill on when they get out.

Goddammit don't go to Fullsail you idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh fantastic, another thing my chief was wrong about!

Maybe he meant you need one to be competitive? Seemed like he meant that you needed one though.

People going to lovely schools now makes even less sense.

:chiefsay: That officer's dumb, I have a degree too (from Ashford) so just listen to me!

There was a period of time a few years back when an Associate's or higher was required to promote to senior chief but they walked that back.

• Locked thread